Dr. N. Ramani, Palo Alto, April 20th

Shrieks

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

SOUTH INDIA FINE ARTS
(A registered Non-Profit Organization, Estd. 1979)
proudly presents

the great master of the flute
Sangeetha Kala Nidhi Dr. N. Ramani

accompanied by

A. Ananthakrishnan, violin
Trichy Sankaran, mridangam

SUNDAY, April 20, 4:00pm

Cubberly Theater
4000 Middlefield Rd., Palo Alto

SPONSORS: FREE Memebers: $11 Non-members: $13 Ages 12-18: $8
Under 12: Free Seniors: $8

For more information contact:

R. Chandramouli (408) 749-8805 K. Sivamani (408) 248-1285
V.S. Parthasarathy (408) 270-7431 Rema Ramani (408) 274-5238

About the artist:

For Ramani, the Carnatic flautist non-pareil, who started performing
at the age of eight, music does not ever stop as he is still going
strong with his melodies at 61. Ramani had his training from his
grandfather Narayanaswani Iyer and later by the renowned
T.R. Mahalingam, popularly known as Mali, taking after whom Ramani
plays on all the three octaves of the flute. He is known for the
Bhava effect he produces which is so close to vocal music. Ramani
has switched to a longer flute commonly used in Hindustani music
from the traditional smaller Carnatic flute after listening to
Pannalal Ghosh's music. Ramani is constantly trying to promote
mutual understanding between the two great traditions of Indian
classical music. He has performed Jugalbandhi concerts with
eminent Hindustani musicians like Hariprasad Chaurasia, T.N. Rajam
and V.G. Jog. Ramani has given concerts all over the world and has
been honored with many prestigious awards and titles such as
Sangeetha Kala Nidhi, Padmasree, cultural doctorate from the
World University of Arizona. He has trained many students abroad
and in India, many of whom are staff members in All India Radio.

Dakshin

Apr 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/20/97

Someone wrote:
>T.R. Mahalingam, popularly known as Mali, taking after whom Ramani
>plays on all the three octaves of the flute

Positvely confused! Also by another comment from a TX reviewer that
Dr.Ramani uses a flute that is either a multiple or a certain fraction of
the
sruti.

I have heard many an Indian flautist (especially Hindustani trained) who
play
against a background (sruti) of another flute. Under these
circumstances/illusions, I wonder if India is still the land of snake
charmers
as one jazz player once put it to me where playing a flute is a matter of
creatively blending various sounds. Does anyone know how these flautists
perform if they have to perform without sruti or percussion (drum) --i.e.
all
by themselves. BTW, I think of Indian flautists playing
here very highly. Any comments to dispel my delusions? :-)

Dakshin Gandikota
Columbus, OH

Suresh Gopalakrishnan

Apr 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/20/97

Dakshin (dak...@aol.com) wrote:

: Someone wrote:
: >T.R. Mahalingam, popularly known as Mali, taking after whom Ramani
: >plays on all the three octaves of the flute

The Carnatic flute has 8 holes but only 7 are usually used. Using the
8th one I know it is possible to go upto Manthrasthayi Rishabham. And
I have heard flautists play upto Melsthayi dhaivadham. I don't know if
it is possible to go beyond these 2 notes on either sides. I have also
seen most flautists change flutes either while doing raaga-aalapanai
to go to the lower octave or to do a shruthi-bedham. Interesting thing
is that the second flute need not be of the same shruthi - usually it
is the madhyamam or panchamam (I am not sure which one it is).

--suresh