standout shows/jams August '79?

dr.narcolepsy

Jan 11, 2011, 7:50:35 PM1/11/11
I've got 8/4/79 on my list, but nothing else in August . . . Part 7
of the 1979 Project is up on bt.etree, it's got 8/5/79-->8/31/79, and
I'm wondering if I should grab anything else - any great jams or
shows???

here's the link:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=541652

Andrew

Jan 11, 2011, 8:07:11 PM1/11/11

August '79 doesn't exactly go down as one of the legendary months of
GD shows... The best show is probably the 8/12 show at Red Rocks -
good Estimated>Eyes>Jam, if you're into that kinda thing, good first
set - but there are any number of momentum killers lined up through
that setlist.

8/13 has got a good Shakedown opener and a good (albeit short) TOO in
the second set, but there's not much else there...

The real goods in '79, IMO, are 9/2 (great second set, one of the
better ones of the year - but I think only an AUD circulates) and then
selected shows in the Fall 10/27 for sure and a handful of show there
at the start of November... And now that I think about it, I think
December has a handful of highlights as well...

dr.narcolepsy

Jan 11, 2011, 8:23:14 PM1/11/11

Thanks, Andrew . . .

The 8/4 was in Part 6 of the 1979 Project, I guess I'll go with 8/5,
8/12, and 8/13. Reading reviews on the archive pointed me in the
direction of 5/8/80 Glens Falls, NY (in a review that wasn't kind to
the 8/31/79 Glens Falls show) - and I'm excited! - I think this is the
show that a couple dudes in a Vanagon broke out on cold, windy night
in State College, PA back in '99 after the Bob Dylan and Phil &
Friends show.

dr.narcolepsy

Jan 11, 2011, 9:10:57 PM1/11/11
Played the 10/25/79 New Haven, CT Shakedown (ok) and Friend of the
Devil (great!), just now, while I was on the exercise bike. Now it's
time to head out and hike the neighborhood in this beautiful snow!

Bzl.

Jan 11, 2011, 11:40:11 PM1/11/11
On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 17:07:11 -0800 (PST), Andrew <amu...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Jan 11, 4:50 pm, "dr.narcolepsy" <jmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've got 8/4/79 on my list, but nothing else in August . . .   Part 7
>> of the 1979 Project is up on bt.etree, it's got 8/5/79-->8/31/79, and
>> I'm wondering if I should grab anything else - any great jams or
>> shows???
>>
>> here's the link:http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=541652
>
>August '79 doesn't exactly go down as one of the legendary months of
>GD shows... The best show is probably the 8/12 show at Red Rocks -
>good Estimated>Eyes>Jam, if you're into that kinda thing, good first
>set - but there are any number of momentum killers lined up through
>that setlist.
>
>8/13 has got a good Shakedown opener and a good (albeit short) TOO in
>the second set, but there's not much else there...

whoa. That He's Gone > TOO is seriously twisted! Last I checked
though, the circulating sbd available was seriously flawed; no high
end.

dr.narcolepsy

Jan 11, 2011, 11:46:23 PM1/11/11
On Jan 11, 11:40 pm, Bzl. <bzl...@aolaol.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 17:07:11 -0800 (PST), Andrew <amur...@hotmail.com>

> >8/13 has got a good Shakedown opener and a good (albeit short) TOO in
> >the second set, but there's not much else there...
>
> whoa.  That He's Gone > TOO is seriously twisted!  Last I checked
> though, the circulating sbd available was seriously flawed; no high
> end.

give this a try . . . not saying it's better, haven't listened to
these, yet, but I did a bit of digging on the archive before picking
what I wanted out of the 20+GB 1979 Part 7 torrent. The auds do seem
to get respect for a lot of these shows I was checking out.
http://www.archive.org/details/gd1979-08-13.nak700.goetz.33583.sbeok.flac16