FILK Digest

Kay Shapero

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

On <Nov 27 13:47>, kes...@prodigy.com wrote:

k>to get back to one that resulted from a glitch in a Critical Mass
k>performance of Green Hills of Earth. The first line is their
k>slip, the
k>rest is the idea sketch I filed with it.

k> "The arching sky is falling"
k> The chicken said to me:
k> "To safety I am calling
k> My friends and my family"
k> Out ran this terrified pullet
k> With a wail I'll never forget
k> He streaked off like a bullet
k> I can hear him shouting yet...

OOK, though, alas, a pullet is a young female chicken...
--

--
Filk Digest
(echomail and newsgroup readers disregard this as it doesn't apply to you)
|Gateway: Black Dragon Inn
|GateOp: ro...@bdragon.shore.net

kes...@prodigy.com

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

In <99b_961...@bdragon.shore.net>, kay.s...@bdragon.shore.net (Kay Shapero) writes:
>OOK, though, alas, a pullet is a young female chicken...

Ah well. I could change Chicken Little's gender -- quick, where's the scissors? --
but giving up that pun is probably safer. (I'm a city kid; what the heck do I know
about poultry?)

Joseph J. Kesselman http://pages.prodigy.com/keshlam/
"This note is a production of Novalabs Consulting, which is solely
responsible for its content. Opinions not necessarily those of IBM."

Chris Croughton

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

On Wed, 04 Dec 1996, Tasha Robinson <tr...@panda.isca.uiowa.edu> wrote:

> I completely missed it because she makes it into
> three syllables and stresses it oddly, though now that I'm
> listening to it as "stallion," I've
> no idea where I got that g from.

Where I come from 'stallion' is always three syllables, "sta'-li-on"
('a' as in 'hat', 'i' as in 'hit', 'o' as in 'con'). I don't see how
it could be pronounced as less than three syllables (I can imagine
some dialects making it four or more!), although it could certainly
be stressed oddly.

Chris

Tasha Robinson

Dec 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/8/96

Chris Croughton <crou...@amc.de> responded:

>Where I come from 'stallion' is always three syllables, "sta'-li-on"
>('a' as in 'hat', 'i' as in 'hit', 'o' as in 'con'). I don't see how
>it could be pronounced as less than three syllables (I can imagine
>some dialects making it four or more!), although it could certainly
>be stressed oddly.

Yup, that's how she does it, although the accents make it fall in a sort of cadence:
sta''-li'-on. Where DO you come from? Perhaps you share a background - or she's imitating
a dialect, which she does in other lines in the song. ("A gypsy lad and his bonny wee lass
... / 'Tis none but the Black Jack Davy.") Tho that may be making things too complex - I
suspect it just fit the scansion better as three syllables.

As to how it could be pronounced as two, my (annoyingly inadequate) paperback edition o'
the Random House Dictionary gives the pronounciation as "stal' - yen" (schwa instead of
e), which is how I've always heard it where I come from, which is Maryland. Then again,
I've been in Iowa for seven years (moved to Chicago earlier this year - anyone know any
good filk circles here?) and everyone in Iowa thinks East Coasters talk too fast anyway. :)

Lee Gold

Dec 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/8/96

For me, "stallion": is two syllables?
/Stall/ (rhymes with Hal) and /yun/ (rhymes with bun)
How many syllables do you give to "million"?

jk...@watson.ibm.com

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

In <9bd_961...@bdragon.shore.net>, Chris Croughton <crou...@amc.de> writes:
>Where I come from 'stallion' is always three syllables, "sta'-li-on"
>('a' as in 'hat', 'i' as in 'hit', 'o' as in 'con'). I don't see how
>it could be pronounced as less than three syllables (I can imagine
>some dialects making it four or more!), although it could certainly
>be stressed oddly.

Some of use (American Northeasterners, or at least me) pronounce it
as "staal-yun".

Dialect. ("OK, what color do you want that lect to be?")

Mark A Mandel

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

Chris Croughton (crou...@amc.de) wrote:

: On Wed, 04 Dec 1996, Tasha Robinson <tr...@panda.isca.uiowa.edu> wrote:

: > I completely missed it because she makes it into
: > three syllables and stresses it oddly, though now that I'm
: > listening to it as "stallion," I've
: > no idea where I got that g from.

: Where I come from 'stallion' is always three syllables, "sta'-li-on"

: ('a' as in 'hat', 'i' as in 'hit', 'o' as in 'con'). I don't see how
: it could be pronounced as less than three syllables (I can imagine
: some dialects making it four or more!), although it could certainly
: be stressed oddly.

By pronouncing the "i" as a "y" and the "on" as (schwa) + "n". For me,
the last syllable is the same as that of "million" (2 sylls.), not
"Killian('s Red)" (3 sylls.). This is the only pron I've ever heard of
the word, though I certainly accept your description of yours. Are you
from/in the British Isles? I don't know of any US dialect that has the
vowel of "hit" before another vowel or at the end of a word.

-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian, Orthoepist, and
Philological Busybody

NO SOLICITORS OVER 18
Religious, commercial, charitable, or otherwise
** Offenders will be COMPOSTED **

Lee Billings

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

In article <9bd_961...@bdragon.shore.net>, Chris Croughton says...

>On Wed, 04 Dec 1996, Tasha Robinson <tr...@panda.isca.uiowa.edu> wrote:
>
>> I completely missed it because she makes it into
>> three syllables and stresses it oddly, though now that I'm
>> listening to it as "stallion," I've
>> no idea where I got that g from.
>
>Where I come from 'stallion' is always three syllables, "sta'-li-on"
>('a' as in 'hat', 'i' as in 'hit', 'o' as in 'con'). I don't see how
>it could be pronounced as less than three syllables (I can imagine
>some dialects making it four or more!), although it could certainly
>be stressed oddly.

In my neck of the woods, it's pronounced "stal-yun" and is distinctly a
two-syllable word.

Filksinger

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

C@> On Wed, 04 Dec 1996, Tasha Robinson <tr...@panda.isca.uiowa.edu> wrote:

> I completely missed it because she makes it into
> three syllables and stresses it oddly, though now that I'm
> listening to it as "stallion," I've
> no idea where I got that g from.

C@> Where I come from 'stallion' is always three syllables, "sta'-li-on"
C@> ('a' as in 'hat', 'i' as in 'hit', 'o' as in 'con'). I don't see how
C@> it could be pronounced as less than three syllables (I can imagine
C@> some dialects making it four or more!), although it could certainly
C@> be stressed oddly.

I've heard it pronounced "stal-yun", and I've also heard it
pronounced "stal-e-un". I don't recall ever hearing the
'l' be part of the 2nd syllable.

('a' as in 'pal', 'u' as in 'gun', 'e' as in 'be'. Some people
do use more of the 'o' sound from 'con' in place of the 'u' sound
of 'gun', so add 'stal-yon' and 'stal-e-on').

But if you think THIS is bad, there are about a dozen ways to pronounce
"ough" in various words.

... If money is the root of all evil, why do churches want so much?

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20 [NR]

EVQWK 7.96.01 (Registered)

Mark A Mandel

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

Filksinger (filk...@alexus.cts.com) wrote:

: ... If money is the root of all evil, why do churches want so much?

***** MISQUOTE ALERT! *****

It's "The love of money is the root of all evil".
^^^^^^^^^^^
(Oy. Why does it take a Jew to get the New Testament correct?)

Bruce Adelsohn

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

Mark A Mandel wrote:

> Filksinger (filk...@alexus.cts.com) wrote:
>
> : ... If money is the root of all evil, why do churches want so much?
>
> ***** MISQUOTE ALERT! *****
>
> It's "The love of money is the root of all evil".
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
> (Oy. Why does it take a Jew to get the New Testament correct?)

Hm. The way I learned it, the translation goes "the *lust* for money is
the root of all evil," the point being that lust -- the desire to
possess without making a commitment to give anything back -- is
self-destructive and destructive of others in all forms, but especially
in this one.

(Okay, at least I was *born and raised* Jewish...)

--
- mka Bruce Adelsohn - | "Meditation is useless
ska Stefan Davidson, | (if less than 1 OM)."

Major Matt Mason

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

J>From: jk...@watson.ibm.com

J>Some of use (American Northeasterners, or at least me) pronounce it
>as "staal-yun".

Okay, I'm a Fluffyan (Philadelphian), so:

Staal-yun
Mill-yun
Bill-yun
Ack-uh-mee (Acme)
Ohl-uh-nee (Olney)
Aig (egg)

J>Dialect. ("OK, what color do you want that lect to be?")

Yo! Iddodabeeya light blue. Now, I godda go downashore. ("I say,
old
bean, might I suggest a light blue shading? Excuse me, it's time for
me
to travel to Atlantic City.")

-MMM-
___
X OLX 3.01 13-0130 X ... Quick, Garibaldi - the Flit!
--
|Fidonet: Major Matt Mason 1:273/952 Gateway: Black Dragon Inn

Dan Bennett

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96

Lee Billings (bill...@chattanooga.net) wrote:
> In my neck of the woods, it's pronounced "stal-yun" and is distinctly a
> two-syllable word.

A related aside...

In the eighties, Mitsubishi marketed a car in the UK called "Starion";
I don't know if it was sold in the US too. Anyway, "Starion" is kind
of OK for a car name; a bit naff, but we were used to that from
Japanese manufacturers. Kind of poetic: Star+Orion, maybe.

Then one realised that the rest of the range were "Colt" and "Lancer".

8-)

Regards,
Dan.

.-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Dan Bennett: Uni* mail: d...@hpwina39.uksr.hp.com |
| Telephone: (+44) 1344 361870 (GMT|BST) |
| Hewlett-Packard UK Response Centre, |
| Amen Corner, Cain Road, Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 1HN, UK |
| http://avalon.phys.hokudai.ac.jp/throat-singing/member/Home/dan.html |
| (HP internal mirror: http://hpwin053.uksr.hp.com/dan/Home/dan.html) |
| I believe that X is 10. I'm an existentialist. |
`-----------------------------------------------------------------------'

Jim Trigg

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96
to Mark A Mandel

On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, Mark A Mandel wrote:

> Filksinger (filk...@alexus.cts.com) wrote:

> : ... If money is the root of all evil, why do churches want so much?

> ***** MISQUOTE ALERT! *****

> It's "The love of money is the root of all evil".
^^^^^^^^^^^
> (Oy. Why does it take a Jew to get the New Testament correct?)

Because I never saw the original post ;->.

Just a Thought,
Jim Trigg (RL) / Jamie FitzGeorge (SCA)

Keith A. Glass

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96

Mark A Mandel wrote:

> Filksinger (filk...@alexus.cts.com) wrote:
>
> : ... If money is the root of all evil, why do churches want so much?
>
> ***** MISQUOTE ALERT! *****
>
> It's "The love of money is the root of all evil".
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
> (Oy. Why does it take a Jew to get the New Testament correct?)

Distance ???

Filksinger

Dec 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/14/96

C@> On Wed, 04 Dec 1996, Tasha Robinson <tr...@panda.isca.uiowa.edu> wrote:

> I completely missed it because she makes it into
> three syllables and stresses it oddly, though now that I'm
> listening to it as "stallion," I've
> no idea where I got that g from.

C@> Where I come from 'stallion' is always three syllables, "sta'-li-on"
C@> ('a' as in 'hat', 'i' as in 'hit', 'o' as in 'con'). I don't see how
C@> it could be pronounced as less than three syllables (I can imagine
C@> some dialects making it four or more!), although it could certainly
C@> be stressed oddly.

I've heard it pronounced "stal-yun", and I've also heard it
pronounced "stal-e-un". I don't recall ever hearing the
'l' be part of the 2nd syllable.

('a' as in 'pal', 'u' as in 'gun', 'e' as in 'be'. Some people
do use more of the 'o' sound from 'con' in place of the 'u' sound
of 'gun', so add 'stal-yon' and 'stal-e-on').

But if you think THIS is bad, there are about a dozen ways to pronounce
"ough" in various words.

... If money is the root of all evil, why do churches want so much?

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20 [NR]

EVQWK 7.96.01 (Registered)

Filksinger

Dec 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/14/96

M@> ***** MISQUOTE ALERT! *****

M@> It's "The love of money is the root of all evil".
M@> ^^^^^^^^^^^
M@> (Oy. Why does it take a Jew to get the New Testament correct?)

I'm well aware of the proper quote, thank you.
However, the misquote is far more widely used,
and there's a limit to how many letters a tagline
will hold.

... C:\WINDOWS C:\WINDOWS\GO C:\PC\CRAWL

Kay Shapero

Dec 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/16/96

On <Dec 09 07:23>, Stephen Griffin (1:333/4...@fidonet.org) wrote to
Kay Shapero:

KS> OOK, though, alas, a pullet is a young female chicken...

SG>Is there such a thing as a young MALE chicken?? :)

Yep, it's called a cockerel iirc. Cockerels and pullets grow up into

roosters and hens, collectively known as chickens.