Comments from the Continuously Less, But Still Fat Man

1 view

Gregory Baker

Jul 6, 2001, 11:14:36 AM7/6/01

RE: Copyrights and Civil Disobedience

Having filked for over 20 years, I've done stuff to original tunes, public
domain tunes, and copyrighted tunes. I figure, frankly, I have zero chance
of making money on anything I have, so I plan to distrubute it for free,
using the GNU Copyleft. I also plan to make MP3 files as soon as I can get
a decent recording studio set up in my apartment, again, for free
distribution. You want it, you take it... only hitch... credit me! I do it
for the egoboo.

RE: Sleep Apnea

Do you know what a bummer it is for a filker to have sleep apnea? I end up
flaking out about 11:00 even on the best days. On bad days, I end up
sleeping through my weekends, which is why although I am in the DC area, I
didn't make the Rockville filk convention in June. (I was trying to stay
healthy.)

I am on the track to get a CPAP machine, despite my insurer. That should
help.

Just think of me as an anti-vampire.

RE: Pagan Hymns and Church Tunes

Sharron is now part of our church choir, and they are doing "Lord of the
Dance" as a choral piece during this summer. Unfortunately, until this
piece is over, I am forbidden to sing anything to "Simple Gifts," lest it
throw her off-pace.

I do get very uncomfortable singing pagan filk. Many of the tunes are nice,
and the singers good, and I could in Christian liberty sing them, but
instead I'll sit them out. Actually, Paul the Apostle did discuss this
matter in the first letter to the Corinthians in regard to Christians eating
meat sacrificed to idols... 1) there are no gods but God, 2) therefore the
meat isn't sacrificed to anything, 3) however, a lot of people used to
worshiping those 'gods', so it would make them uncomfortable, 4) therefore,
don't do anything that would make your brother/sister in Christ sin.

On the other hand, the bluegrass/country jam session I frequent is good for
doing the old, powerful, revival stuff such as "There is Power in the
Blood," and "What a Friend We Have in Jesus."

RE: I Perform at Shore Leave

In what regrettably ends up as my annual filk concert, I will be performing
as part of the Performance Filk at the Shore Leave Convention at Hunt Valley
Marriott at 10:00 pm, Friday the 13th. I will try to make as much of the
filking afterward (see "Sleep Apnea" as above).

I am very sad that I only get out of my cage once a year to fly. On the
other hand, my Muse, that sadistic dominatrix, is making me write five or
six new songs that will be released there.

RE: My Other Performance at Shore Leave

At 6:00 pm, I will be taking part in a presentation by the Maryland Wing of
the Civil Air Patrol on the various activities CAP does, including Search
and Rescue. We'll be doing demonstrations of what we do. If you are at the
convention, please come and give us support. I may pass out pizza for
attendees.

RE: Beg, Whine, Whimper... Crash Space in Boston?

Tomorrow, 7 July 01, I will be driving from Washington, D.C. to the vicinity
of Fort Devens, Massachusetts, to drop my Beautiful and Intelligent
Daughter, Jackie, off at her U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps boot camp. (I've
grown a sailor! Honor Harrington, meet Jackie Baker!) 8 July 01, I will be
driving back to Washington/Baltimore.

Thursday, 19 July 01, Jackie graduates from boot camp. Since neither Jackie
nor I have EVER been in Boston (her mom lived there once upon a time,) we
were wondering if we could get crash space before driving back to
Washington. We'd like to get a photo of her with the USS CONSTITUTION and
see Old North Church and ride the M.T.A. (extra nickels on hand).

If we were to get crash space, we would provide:
Air mattress for 3 people.
Pillows
Blankets
Fan to minimize snoring (I don't do as much as I used to, but still)
Guitar

RE: How to contact me:

Days: GBa...@fdic.gov
Evenings: nyekul...@earthlink.net
Anytime: nyekul...@hotmail.com
Home: 301-369-3566
ICQ: 46490565

Thanks.

Greg Baker
"World's Most Modest Filksinger"

Filk Digest
(echomail and newsgroup readers disregard this as it doesn't apply to you)
To post to the list, send a message to filk...@bdragon.shore.net
To (un)sub-scribe, send a message to list...@bdragon.shore.net
The list name is "filk-d"
To reach a human, send a message to ro...@bdragon.shore.net
|Gateway: Black Dragon Inn
|GateOp: ro...@bdragon.shore.net

Gregory Baker

Jul 6, 2001, 11:14:27 AM7/6/01

Lee Gold

Jul 7, 2001, 11:48:33 AM7/7/01
Gregory Baker wrote:

> RE: Sleep Apnea
>
> Do you know what a bummer it is for a filker to have sleep apnea? I end up
> flaking out about 11:00 even on the best days. On bad days, I end up
> sleeping through my weekends, which is why although I am in the DC area, I
> didn't make the Rockville filk convention in June. (I was trying to stay
> healthy.)
>
> I am on the track to get a CPAP machine, despite my insurer. That should
> help.

I know at least three filkers who use CPAPs. (I don't have
sleep apnea, just partial sleep obstruction. But I can't
fall asleep without a CPAP: my snoring is so quiet my husband
Barry can't hear it, but the sound wakes *me* up, and
of course earplugs won't help.)

--Lee Gold

Patrick Connors

Jul 7, 2001, 2:06:53 PM7/7/01
Gregory Baker wrote:
> RE: Sleep Apnea
>
> Do you know what a bummer it is for a filker to have sleep apnea? I end up
> flaking out about 11:00 even on the best days. On bad days, I end up
> sleeping through my weekends, which is why although I am in the DC area, I
> didn't make the Rockville filk convention in June. (I was trying to stay
> healthy.)

Yes, as I have sleep apnea as well. Next filk con I can commit to far
enough in
advance to get on the program, I'm gonna lead the daytime filk
circles. 'Cause
I just don't do all-nighters any more; I can't.

- Pat Connors

Harold Groot

Jul 8, 2001, 1:58:14 AM7/8/01
On Fri, 06 Jul 2001 15:14:27 -0000, "Gregory Baker"
<nyekul...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>RE: Sleep Apnea
>
>Do you know what a bummer it is for a filker to have sleep apnea? I end up
>flaking out about 11:00 even on the best days. On bad days, I end up
>sleeping through my weekends, which is why although I am in the DC area, I
>didn't make the Rockville filk convention in June. (I was trying to stay
>healthy.)
>I am on the track to get a CPAP machine, despite my insurer. That should
>help.
>Just think of me as an anti-vampire.

You Are Not Alone. There are quite a few filkers with Sleep Apnea.

My CPAP helps quite a bit, but it only brings energy levels back
towards normal. Sometimes the ads make it sound like you will get
huge amounts of new energy.

Lee Gold

Jul 8, 2001, 9:43:51 AM7/8/01
Harold Groot wrote:

> My CPAP helps quite a bit, but it only brings energy levels back
> towards normal. Sometimes the ads make it sound like you will get
> huge amounts of new energy.

It depends on how bad shape you were in before.
I'd been sleeping 4-5 hours a night, because it took me
hours of tossing and turning to find the ONE perfect
position where I could fall asleep without that quiet
buzzing in my throat that made me wake up. And going
from that to a good solid 6-7 hours a night gave me
far more energy. (Persuading my internist to put me
back on thyroid supplements gave me a lot more energy,
but that's another story. Then again, people really
short of energy should have their thyroid level checked
out, particularly as low thyroid is often linked with
sleep obstruction.)

--Lee Gold

Copper Squirrel

Jul 8, 2001, 2:31:10 PM7/8/01
<nyekul...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>RE: Sleep Apnea
>
>Do you know what a bummer it is for a filker to have sleep apnea? I end up
>flaking out about 11:00 even on the best days. On bad days, I end up
>sleeping through my weekends, which is why although I am in the DC area, I
>didn't make the Rockville filk convention in June. (I was trying to stay
>healthy.)
>
>I am on the track to get a CPAP machine, despite my insurer. That should
>help.

Gonna get some sleep now
Gonna get me some zees
Gotta cpap and no more
sleep apnea bluues

I know its a terrible instafilk but I don't want to get kabonged.
Yes, a cpap helps an incredible amount. I was up all night despite a
bottle of Finnish Licorice liquor(mmm, Good!)

>Just think of me as an anti-vampire.

\\|||||//
\\\\\|/////
\\\\\|/////
\\\\|////
\\|//
# ` "I won the Norwegian lottery.
# )) 1,000,000 lutefisk, 55 a day for 50 years."
# (( (:B) copper_...@yahoo.com
# )) )(@ ~*
# (((((@)& The Copper Squirrel in his virtual tree

Kevin van Houten

Jul 8, 2001, 3:28:04 PM7/8/01
On Sun, 08 Jul 2001 11:31:10 -0700, Copper Squirrel wrote:

> >I am on the track to get a CPAP machine, despite my insurer. That should
> >help.

> Yes, a cpap helps an incredible amount. I was up all night despite a

> bottle of Finnish Licorice liquor(mmm, Good!)

> >Just think of me as an anti-vampire.

I won't mention that I can go to sleep on a dare...