In a sentence ...

Mr Jinx

Feb 14, 2006, 12:57:23 PM2/14/06

Could you condense into a single sentence the most important thing Bob
Dylan has taught you?

Mine might be something like:

"Bob Dylan has taught me that whatever I think is certain to be true in
this world is worth re-examining".

How has he taught me this? I don't know. It's something in the way he
stands ... or maybe it's in the way he is tipping his hat on the cover
of Nashville Skyline .... Maybe it's the way he riffs outside that pet
shop in No Direction Home ... Maybe it's the weather or something like
that. I just don't know. Actually I do know. It's a thousand things
and I'd far rather hear your sentences....

Go ahead. Be creative, folks.

Mr Jinx

Rachel Golda

Feb 14, 2006, 1:07:06 PM2/14/06
I'm waiting because I'm not sure if I'm smart enough to post to this
group. As of yet, I have no answer other than "trust yourself."

I'm going to the phsyciatrist today to get back on my psych meds, all
for manic-depression, which was probably caused by my drug use and
bulimia.

I am going to ask him if I can start the day program there.

I am glad Bob Dylan's songs aren't about me, however if I remember more
coincidences at the appropriate time, I will share.

I believe all you people are real, thank you Mark and Bobette (haha),
we won't live forever, there is no reincarnation, and Bob Dylan is
"just another person." He happens to be the smartest/coolest/most
intetersting person I know of, however.

I no longer want to be with him, I just want to follow him. He's too
old, too busy, and too smart for me. I am not a sex object.

Thank You, Bob.

And most of all, thank you RMD.

ZosoZimmy

Feb 14, 2006, 1:10:05 PM2/14/06
Ahh.. how to sum this up? impossible I say, but i'll take a stab..

"Bob Dylan has taught me that words can be more powerful than actions"

He is not only the inspiration that lead me to become a musician, he is
also my filter for most of what i encounter in my life. Honestly the
man seems to have a line for nearly every situation/person,etc.

SilkUpholsteredChair

Feb 14, 2006, 1:13:01 PM2/14/06

He taught be about a lot of historical music I probably wouldn't have
come upon otherwise. He also taught me that ascending or descending
chromatically with chords is a great device that has many many uses.
And he taught me that it's a pretty good idea in any endeavor to avoid
phrases like "shadows metal badge" and "flung down by corpse
evangelist." Also that being a hip folksinger is not a contradiction
in terms.

ZosoZimmy

Feb 14, 2006, 1:17:54 PM2/14/06
oh and this is my first post here, hi everyone!
I have read this group occasionally for years but I dont think i have
posted before.
Anyway, glad to hear bob is working on a new album because I still
can't get enough of Love and Theft.

I live in Florida right now, but for many years I played acoustic gigs
in Colorado that consisted mostly of rare dylan songs, rare meaning not
the hits. I have an extensive knowledge of his songs and lyrics and
still play and sing when i find the time. If anyone is interested i
posted some home recordings on myspace
http://www.myspace.com/zosozimmy

Here's to more posts to come!
cheers!

mcis...@umich.edu

Feb 14, 2006, 1:26:37 PM2/14/06

Mr Jinx wrote:
> Could you condense into a single sentence the most important thing Bob
> Dylan has taught you?

Dylan has taught me to follow my instincts and sense of what I need to
create irregardless of controversy or approval and to not be afraid to
change if that is what is necessary.

chris

Feb 14, 2006, 1:30:39 PM2/14/06
Bob has taught me that the sliver of difference between love and hate
is where to hang out at ;-)

ironhills

Feb 14, 2006, 3:49:08 PM2/14/06
That it's best not to be a fantastic success at 23.

Jeff Gower

Feb 14, 2006, 3:50:14 PM2/14/06
"Mr Jinx" <vernon_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Could you condense into a single sentence the most important thing Bob
> Dylan has taught you?

Lyrics are louder than Words.

Jeff

don freeman

Feb 14, 2006, 3:58:52 PM2/14/06

> Could you condense into a single sentence the most important thing Bob
> Dylan has taught you?

Rules can be broken.

crazytimes

Feb 14, 2006, 4:13:58 PM2/14/06

In the spirit of Valentine's Day:

So if you find someone that gives you all of her love,
Take it to your heart, don't let it stray,
For one thing that's certain,
You will surely be a-hurtin',
If you throw it all away.

Peter

Feb 14, 2006, 4:15:36 PM2/14/06
He taugh me not to follow leaders, and to trust myself.

pete

"Mr Jinx" <vernon_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

J Buck

Feb 14, 2006, 8:06:23 PM2/14/06
mcis...@umich.edu (Lone) wrote:
<Dylan has taught me to follow my instincts and sense of what I need to
create irregardless of controversy or approval and to not be afraid to
change if that is what is necessary>

Careful, Lone. Some grammar cop is gonna mention the (mis)use of
'irregardless' :)

bobette

Feb 14, 2006, 9:39:20 PM2/14/06

Yes - and for me - to be an individual, to think with more depth than
the norm, the importance of vocabulary for creative expression,
humility, respect and pure, soulful expression in music......and much
more..

Oumer Teyeb

Feb 15, 2006, 5:15:21 AM2/15/06
I listened to blind willie mcTell, and BDs dream...they really sound
great!!!

john...@tinyworld.co.uk

Feb 15, 2006, 7:07:22 AM2/15/06
Never assume that you understand: words don't necessarily mean the same
thing to different people.

mcis...@umich.edu

Feb 15, 2006, 9:37:28 AM2/15/06

I blame the Puritans.

di

Feb 16, 2006, 11:09:28 AM2/16/06

Simply that I am not along.

di

Feb 16, 2006, 11:09:53 AM2/16/06

di

Feb 16, 2006, 11:10:22 AM2/16/06

chris

Feb 16, 2006, 11:33:36 AM2/16/06
Simply that I am not along. says di...

now did you mean alone or along...you are not along for the ride...or
you are not alone in this universe with the same ideas and
thoughts...;-), just wanted some clarification on that triple remark.

di

Feb 16, 2006, 11:47:58 AM2/16/06
alone...I guess I can't type today

Your Pal Brian

Feb 16, 2006, 9:36:36 PM2/16/06
Mr Jinx wrote:

> Could you condense into a single sentence the most important thing Bob
> Dylan has taught you?

Don't become an oldies act like the Stones.

Brian

J Buck

Feb 16, 2006, 11:00:14 PM2/16/06
brian...@iFreedom.com (Your Pal Brian) wrote: <Don't become an

oldies act like the Stones>

They did a song from their most recent album at halftime of the Super
Bowl a couple of weeks ago, seen by (arguably---Live Aid might've topped
it if they even performed there?) their largest audience ever. When you
say 'oldies act' I'm thinking Hermans Hermits, The Beach Boys, Gerry &
The Pacemakers, ad nauseum. Not the Rolling Stones.

Not that there's anything wrong with being an oldies act. I'd rather
hear LARS for the umpteenth time than a version of 'Mississippi' that I
can barely make the words out to. But that's just me.

ZosoZimmy

Mar 1, 2006, 1:13:53 PM3/1/06
Thanks!

ironhills

Mar 1, 2006, 3:09:36 PM3/1/06
Way off topic, but the Rolling Stones covered LARS about 3 decades too
late. Otherwise it would have kicked God.

crazytimes

Mar 1, 2006, 3:22:19 PM3/1/06

ironhills wrote:
> Way off topic, but the Rolling Stones covered LARS about 3 decades too
> late. Otherwise it would have kicked God.

What makes you think it would have been any better in 1965 than 1995?

'From 40 years ago.'

ironhills

Mar 1, 2006, 3:40:45 PM3/1/06
Are you kidding?

crazytimes

Mar 1, 2006, 3:45:30 PM3/1/06
Well, we are talking 'From 40 years ago'... as you said about the need
or needlessness for there to be more 1966 Dylan concerts in
circulation.

Do you really need more vintage Stones recordings? Why?

Just like does anyone really need any more 1966 Dylan shows and
outtakes.

Don't we have enough already, and how much is too much?

ironhills

Mar 1, 2006, 3:56:16 PM3/1/06

What exactly are you arguing against, consumer glut in the western
world? Me, I was talking about timeliness, and how at the right moment
in time the Stones could have done a superb version of Like a Rolling
Stone.

crazytimes

Mar 1, 2006, 4:08:45 PM3/1/06

I just find it odd that you think we need more Stones recordings from
1965 (especially ones that don't exist), but you take exception to
people who wish to hear more Dylan live recordings from 1966.

I mean, really, don't we have enough vintage Stones and Dylan already
in circulation? Rhetorically speaking, of course...

ironhills

Mar 1, 2006, 4:14:08 PM3/1/06
Rhetorically speaking and otherwise, you are picking one very lame
argument.

More 1966 recordings of Bob Dylan, singing the same songs as on other
dates, in similar if not identical versions, is valuable.
The Rolling Stones covering LARS, however, whether from 1965 or,
better, in the early to mid-70's, is superfluous.
You're so right.

Kindly remove that bug from up your ass, if that is not too
superfluous.

crazytimes

Mar 1, 2006, 4:19:25 PM3/1/06

ironhills wrote:
> Rhetorically speaking and otherwise, you are picking one very lame
> argument.
>
> More 1966 recordings of Bob Dylan, singing the same songs as on other
> dates, in similar if not identical versions, is valuable.
> The Rolling Stones covering LARS, however, whether from 1965 or,
> better, in the early to mid-70's, is superfluous.
> You're so right.

Well, I'm glad that you'd like to hear something, even if it doesn't
exist, 'From 40 years ago'...

I feel the same way about Dylan recordings. :)

crazytimes

Mar 1, 2006, 4:51:54 PM3/1/06

ironhills wrote:
> Rhetorically speaking and otherwise, you are picking one very lame
> argument.

> Kindly remove that bug from up your ass, if that is not too
> superfluous.

On the contrary, the bug was stuffed squarely up your ass, probably
still is. You're the one who was questioning the need to hear more
recordings 'From 40 years ago' - as you said on the 'set lists' thread.

I'm just glad that, in the course of the day, you've come to appreciate
that someone, anyone (in this case, yourself) might want to actually
hear a recording (one that might or might not exist) 'From 40 years
ago', despite the abundance of material already available to us from
that era.

Such breakthroughs and turnarounds in thought and, in this case,
desire, are rare on rmd, especially when they take course in a matter
of hours - 'From just 4 hours ago'... It's remarkable, to say the
least. And you probably didn't even realize this great change in
yourself, which makes it even the more beautiful, if not to say:
beautific.

Hooray!

bgr...@aol.com

Mar 2, 2006, 12:28:50 AM3/2/06

Mr Jinx wrote:
> Could you condense into a single sentence the most important thing Bob
> Dylan has taught you?

bgr...@aol.com

Mar 2, 2006, 12:38:54 AM3/2/06
Trade your cleverness for confusion and your judgment for wonder and
make your way breathlessly along the path with heart....... Of course,
I was never that clever to begin with.

ironhills

Mar 2, 2006, 1:23:23 AM3/2/06
crazytimes wrote:
> On the contrary, the bug was stuffed squarely up your ass, probably
> still is. You're the one who was questioning the need to hear more
> recordings 'From 40 years ago' - as you said on the 'set lists' thread.

What could be more bug-buggered than needing every single recording
from a specific era of a certain artist, when plenty--20, did someone
say?--are already available?

> I'm just glad that, in the course of the day, you've come to appreciate
> that someone, anyone (in this case, yourself) might want to actually
> hear a recording (one that might or might not exist) 'From 40 years
> ago', despite the abundance of material already available to us from
> that era.

Actually, that would be YET ANOTHER RECORDING from 40 years ago, which
in this case (that is, the Rolling Stones) not yet another one at all,
but one that would be unique. As for the history, I'm so sorry I got
the chronology wrong. I thought they covered it around 2000, not 1995.
Off by 5 years, forgive me. Unlike you I didn't know the exact date
that they covered LARS, I was probably too busy living.

Sincerely,
ironhills.

crazytimes

Mar 2, 2006, 8:34:05 AM3/2/06

ironhills wrote:
> crazytimes wrote:
> > On the contrary, the bug was stuffed squarely up your ass, probably
> > still is. You're the one who was questioning the need to hear more
> > recordings 'From 40 years ago' - as you said on the 'set lists' thread.
>
> What could be more bug-buggered than needing every single recording
> from a specific era of a certain artist, when plenty--20, did someone
> say?--are already available?

Hey, you're the one bug-buggering for more Stones recordings from '40
years ago' even though plenty already exist and they already gave you a
plantinum-plattered versio of LARS in 1995.

> > I'm just glad that, in the course of the day, you've come to appreciate
> > that someone, anyone (in this case, yourself) might want to actually
> > hear a recording (one that might or might not exist) 'From 40 years
> > ago', despite the abundance of material already available to us from
> > that era.
>
> Actually, that would be YET ANOTHER RECORDING from 40 years ago, which
> in this case (that is, the Rolling Stones) not yet another one at all,
> but one that would be unique. As for the history, I'm so sorry I got
> the chronology wrong. I thought they covered it around 2000, not 1995.
> Off by 5 years, forgive me. Unlike you I didn't know the exact date
> that they covered LARS, I was probably too busy living.

'Too busy living' - what a unique thing... who would have guessed.
Good for you!

ironhills

Mar 2, 2006, 12:17:19 PM3/2/06
You should try it sometime.

crazytimes

Mar 2, 2006, 1:06:19 PM3/2/06

ironhills wrote:
> You should try it sometime.

Try some, buy some...

Yeah, I had a feeling you'd write that - taking out time from your 'too
busy living' mode to think straight. Nice of you to write...