Hatto identifications: Rachmaninoff first sonata

MrT

Mar 29, 2007, 6:30:25 AM3/29/07
Farhan Malik has just announced on the Pianophiles list that the
"Hatto" recording of Rachmaninoff's first piano sonata is actually a
recording by Tomas Kramreiter issued on the Ex Libris label.

Best,

MrT

Rugby

Mar 29, 2007, 8:45:01 AM3/29/07
Has anyone identified "her" Rachmaninoff Etudes ? Thanks.

MrT

Mar 29, 2007, 8:49:32 AM3/29/07
On Mar 29, 2:45 pm, "Rugby" <steveha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone identified "her" Rachmaninoff Etudes ? Thanks.

These are the identifications so far:

Preludes Op. 23 No. 4 in D Major, Op. 32 No. 5 in G Major, op. 32 No.
12 in G sharp minor, and op. 32 No. 13 in D flat Major are copied from
John Browning's CD Delos DE 3044.

The remaining Preludes have yet to be identified.

Best,

MrT

Message has been deleted

Rugby

Mar 29, 2007, 2:08:51 PM3/29/07
I had earlier mentioned some very strong resemblances, I felt, between
Hatto's Rachmaninoff Etudes Tableaux and a 60's Dover lp of same by
the late Beveridge Webster.However, several here felt unlikely B-C
would have used an lp source ( although did he elsewhere?).Was curious
because of the aural likenesses and the fact B-C had done some
licensing with Dover at about the same time as the Webster was
released. Also intruigued because reportedly several other much more
obvious or likely Etudes had been explored , but found not to be the
Hatto, so again I thought given the popularity and many sets of Rach
Etudes perhaps B-C did try to hide under an out of print lp.Thanks for
your help and time.

Message has been deleted

MrT

Mar 29, 2007, 2:31:47 PM3/29/07
On Mar 29, 8:25 pm, Dick Sexton <sext...@yokel.nospam> wrote:
> Rugby grooped:
>
> [stuff in response to uncited stuff]
>
> Suggestion to Hatto sleuths: attribute residuum to Tom Deacon.

He is not a pianist. Or does that not matter? I think that Alan M.
Watkins or Paul Procopolis are far likelier candidates.

Best,

MrT

Message has been deleted

MrT

Mar 29, 2007, 3:16:28 PM3/29/07
On Mar 29, 9:06 pm, Dick Sexton <sext...@yokel.nospam> wrote:
> > or Paul Procopolis
>
> I'll have to look him up.

Pianist Paul Procopolis was another brilliant, er, creation of William
Barrington-Coupe. From Procopolis to Hatto was a snap. Ernst Lumpe
sorted out a bunch of the Procopolis recordings. Some were by
Fiorentino.

Best,

MrT

Message has been deleted

elu...@freenet.de

Mar 30, 2007, 2:52:40 AM3/30/07
On 29 Mrz., 21:16, "MrT" <symbiotr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mar 29, 9:06 pm, Dick Sexton <sext...@yokel.nospam> wrote:
>
> > > or Paul Procopolis
>
> > I'll have to look him up.
>
> Pianist Paul Procopolis was another brilliant, er, creation of William
> Barrington-Coupe. From Procopolis toHattowas a snap. Ernst Lumpe

> sorted out a bunch of the Procopolis recordings. Some were by
> Fiorentino.
>
> Best,
>
> MrT

The situation was slightly more complicated those times. When original
Saga Ltd. failed (where WHBC had held the post of A&R man), the
company went over to one Marcel Rodd ("Allied Records" is printed on
their sleeves). He reissued many of the Saga recordings, both under
the real names of the artists, and on cheaper sublabels (e. g.
Fidelity) under other names. One of these names was "Paul Procopolis".
A former employee of Marcel Rodd has written a piece about his time at
(new) Saga, disclosing also that he invented the name of Paul
Procopolis (incl. a fake biography, not that dramatic as Rene Köhler's
for sure). I think then article can be read at MusicWeb... So you can
have e. g. Fiorentino's Chopin Preludes under his own name and under
that of PP. The reason was solely commercial and not meant to avoid
paying royalties to the original artist, since (at least in the case
of Fiorentino) the artist would have received a lump sum for his
recordings. The English Wikipedia has now even a short article for
"Paul Procopolis" - the guy has become real famous.... :-)

EL

Richard Schultz

Apr 1, 2007, 12:39:55 AM4/1/07
In article <1175193107.8...@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, MrT <symbi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

:> Suggestion to Hatto sleuths: attribute residuum to Tom Deacon.

: He is not a pianist. Or does that not matter? I think that Alan M.
: Watkins or Paul Procopolis are far likelier candidates.

Was the Bartok Sonata for Two Pianos and Percussion one of the recordings
on which she was claimed to have been a participant?

-----
Richard Schultz sch...@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
It's a bird, it's a plane -- no, it's Mozart. . .