Joyce Hatto Plays Liszt

Gerrie Collins

Jan 25, 2003, 2:07:31 PM1/25/03
Not recalling any comments on this pianist on this newsgroup, I feel
compelled to share a few observations on this remarkable artist since
I have just now finished listening to two of her Liszt CDs that I
ordered. This order was the result of a fantastic clip of Hatto
playing an excerpt of the Mephisto Waltz on another Pianists' Forum.
As I said at the time, I really didn't need to hear yet another
Mephisto, content as I was with my three favorites: Horowitz,
Banowetz, and Bar-Illan. But Hatto introduced just enough of a 'new'
glimpse, a 'nouvelle' drama that reawakened my interest from a
heretofore somewhat quasi somnolent atitude toward this work.
Whenever a pianist can do this to my jaded ears of certain works, I
want to hear more of them.

Now that I've heard the complete Mephisto, the excerpt's promise has
been fulfilled. This is a blatantly extrovert reading with so many
touches of individuality, 'personality' - and just all the more
impressive as played by a 71-year-old! After the Mephisto, Hatto
plays the B Minor Sonata. A very capable rendition, with splashes of
the Mephisto-like brilliance. I might have appreciated a bit more
sound, depth in the forceful, energetic chordal passages.

Also on this disc is a work I don't know: 'La Notte' Funeral Ode No.
2, S. 699. This wIll require some more listening.

The Spanish Rhapsody is given a very effective performance for this
much maligned work.

The 2nd disc consists of the 12 Transcendental Etudes and what a
powerful statement Hatto makes with these. Of course, her technical
apparatus is well up to (and beyond) the task. Some are better than
others. IMO, these are the more difficult etudes, Mazeppa, Feux
Follett, and Wilde Jagd. There is an effortless quality that seems
to be at the essence of Hatto's approach to these works (and indeed
everything that she plays). I have noticed a tiny peculiarity: a
tendency to prolong 'breaks' at the end of some phrases, just a tad
longer than most do. Not enough to break up the line, but enough to
proclaim 'This is Joyce Hatto's personal take on this.'

Needless to say, my 'investment' (first CD order in many months) has
repaid itself. I will probably next investigate this pianist's
extensive Chopin recordings.

Gerrie C

Christopher Webber

Jan 25, 2003, 2:25:29 PM1/25/03
Gerrie Collins <gerrie...@cox.net> writes:
>Needless to say, my 'investment' (first CD order in many months) has
>repaid itself. I will probably next investigate this pianist's
>extensive Chopin recordings.

You might like her Bax recordings, though her rubato is too wildly
personal for many Baxians' taste. She was a pioneer in performing his
sonatas, though, and deserves credit for that.
--
___________________________
Christopher Webber, Blackheath, London, UK.

Rob Barnett

Jan 25, 2003, 2:41:00 PM1/25/03
Joyce Hatto who it seems is now in very poor health has recorded
extensively.

Do have a look at: www.concertartistrecordings.com

Samir Golescu

Jan 25, 2003, 2:42:31 PM1/25/03

Thanks, Gerrie. for attracting my attention on this pianist -- I will keep
the name in mind for future possible acquisitions.

regards,
SG

Andrys Basten

Jan 27, 2003, 12:09:46 AM1/27/03
In article <a39a103.03012...@posting.google.com>,

Gerrie Collins <gerrie...@cox.net> wrote:
>Not recalling any comments on this pianist on this newsgroup, I feel
>compelled to share a few observations on this remarkable artist since
>I have just now finished listening to two of her Liszt CDs that I
>ordered. This order was the result of a fantastic clip of Hatto
>playing an excerpt of the Mephisto Waltz on another Pianists' Forum.
>As I said at the time, I really didn't need to hear yet another
>Mephisto, content as I was with my three favorites: Horowitz,
>Banowetz, and Bar-Illan. But Hatto introduced just enough of a 'new'
>glimpse, a 'nouvelle' drama that reawakened my interest from a
>heretofore somewhat quasi somnolent atitude toward this work.

For those who haven't heard any of her playing, I've made a webpage
for the clip that impressed. The youthful energy of it makes it hard to
believe she was 71 at the time she recorded it.

http://andrys.com/hatto.html

Those with DSL or cablemodem or work lans can stream it but others will
have to download the clip (about 14 minutes).

- Andrys

Andrys Basten

Jan 27, 2003, 12:19:46 AM1/27/03
In article <b12euq$2cu$2...@reader1.panix.com>,

Andrys Basten <and...@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <a39a103.03012...@posting.google.com>,
>Gerrie Collins <gerrie...@cox.net> wrote:
>>Not recalling any comments on this pianist on this newsgroup, I feel
>>compelled to share a few observations on this remarkable artist since
>>I have just now finished listening to two of her Liszt CDs that I
>>ordered. This order was the result of a fantastic clip of Hatto
>>playing an excerpt of the Mephisto Waltz on another Pianists' Forum.
>>As I said at the time, I really didn't need to hear yet another
>>Mephisto, content as I was with my three favorites: Horowitz,
>>Banowetz, and Bar-Illan. But Hatto introduced just enough of a 'new'
>>glimpse, a 'nouvelle' drama that reawakened my interest from a
>>heretofore somewhat quasi somnolent atitude toward this work.
>
>For those who haven't heard any of her playing, I've made a webpage
>for the clip that impressed. The youthful energy of it makes it hard to
>believe she was 71 at the time she recorded it.
>
> http://andrys.com/hatto.html
>
> Those with DSL or cablemodem or work lans can stream it but others will
>have to download the clip (about 14 minutes).
>
> - Andrys

Sorry, I was looking at the wrong clip when I made that
calculation. It's about a 6 minute download, though it's streamable
for those with fast Internet access.

- A