Re: The nice people of Concert Artists

Peter Lemken

Feb 5, 2006, 4:25:06 PM2/5/06
Matthew B. Tepper <oy?@earthlink.net> wrote:
> spam.f...@buerotiger.de (Peter Lemken) appears to have caused the
> following letters to be typed in news:44e027F...@individual.net:
>
> > Matthew B. Tepper <oy?@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >> spam.f...@buerotiger.de (Peter Lemken) appears to have caused the
> >> following letters to be typed in news:44cujdF...@individual.net:

> >> How many are you willing to write?
> >
> > As many as desired and necessary. And appropriate.
> >
> >> I shan't give you home addresses, but
> >> they will all be c/o the Museum of Tolerance in Los Angeles.
> >
> > I will do so, honestly, but before that I really would like to know
> > whether Mr. Köhler actually existed. No, the "biography" with
> > "information communicated to the author" simply isn't good enough.
>
> By my reference to the Museum of Tolerance, I mean the survivors who
> volunteer their time (i.e. receive no compensation save for carfare) to
> speak to patrons about their experiences in the Holocaust.

You know, those patrons should talk to those who fake biographies and use
the Holocaust as a means to silence those with doubts as to the truthfulness
of the conductor's biography.

I have today (yes, on a Sunday) received a reply to my enquiry at the
Jagellonian University and there is no record of a Mr. Köhler/Kohler ever
having attended the department of musicology.

> Had you considered that "Köhler" is a pseudonym for some reason?

I have and I have discarded it, for some reason.

What kind of frame of mind must one possess to invent a fake Holocaust
survivor biography?

Ask the nice people of Concert Artists, I am sure they will be glad to anser
that question eloquently.

Peter Lemken
Berlin

--
Paul Lincke ist dem Zille sein Milhaud.

(Harry Rowohlt)

MrT

Feb 5, 2006, 4:31:57 PM2/5/06
Peter, could this be an Alberto Lizzio or Cesare Cantieri phenomenon?
Or an Alfred Scholz phenomenon, for that matter, which would make it
even more complicated...

I hope you find an answer to this. Not that it matters musically, but
information should be accurate.

Best,

MrT

MrT

Feb 5, 2006, 4:37:04 PM2/5/06
Or Alexander Von Pitamic (sic)...

There is something Borgian (therefore deliciously funny) about this
stuff...

Best,

MrT

alanwa...@aol.com

Feb 5, 2006, 5:59:39 PM2/5/06
I cannot say whether Mr Kohler is a fake or a pseundonym. On "his"
recording of Brahms Piano Concerto No 2 I happen to know who the 1st
horn and who the cellist is/was although it appears inappropriate to
post details of same on a group such as this. Some felt the cellist
should have been named, if not the hornist who opens the work cold. No
matter.

I cannot say about the accuracy of comments/biography about Mr Kohler
but a few times I played for a bloke called Ancerl who, as I
understand, was the only survivor from his family - or so he claimed
but of course he may have made this up.

Any information on that? Like the name of the place the British troops
rescued him from?

Kind regards,
Alan M. Watkins

MrT

Feb 5, 2006, 6:08:19 PM2/5/06

alanwa...@aol.com wrote:
> I cannot say whether Mr Kohler is a fake or a pseundonym. On "his"
> recording of Brahms Piano Concerto No 2 I happen to know who the 1st
> horn and who the cellist is/was although it appears inappropriate to
> post details of same on a group such as this. Some felt the cellist
> should have been named, if not the hornist who opens the work cold. No
> matter.

But you do know that there is or was a Köhler, right? Obviously, these
musicians you know were conducted by somebody, whether his name is
René Köhler or Cyril Bassington-Bassington. As I said before, it
makes no difference to me musically, but it's good to get facts
straight. There have been a lot of fake names in recordings. In
mathematics, there was one Nicholas Bourbaki, who wasn't one but a host
of people writing a series of works under that collective name...

Best,

MrT

alanwa...@aol.com

Feb 5, 2006, 6:33:56 PM2/5/06
I no longer want to say whatever it is I know in this thread.
Message has been deleted

alanwa...@aol.com

Feb 5, 2006, 7:19:50 PM2/5/06
I repeat that I no longer want to say whatever it is that I know,
either as to the "conductor", or the musicians who from time to time
played for him.

Peter Lemken

Feb 5, 2006, 7:20:54 PM2/5/06
alanwa...@aol.com <alanwa...@aol.com> wrote:

> I no longer want to say whatever it is I know in this thread.

What a pity. I would really have been curious to learn from an insider like
you whether

"I cannot say whether Mr Kohler is a fake or a pseundonym. On "his"
recording of Brahms Piano Concerto No 2 I happen to know who the 1st
horn and who the cellist is/was"

this particular recording actually had a soloist, or whether it was a "Music
Minus One" production.

Also, we will then never learn how they seated an orchestra large enough for
Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff into the tiny studio of Concert Artists.

Peter Lemken

Feb 5, 2006, 7:26:15 PM2/5/06
alanwa...@aol.com <alanwa...@aol.com> wrote:

> I cannot say about the accuracy of comments/biography about Mr Kohler
> but a few times I played for a bloke called Ancerl who, as I
> understand, was the only survivor from his family - or so he claimed
> but of course he may have made this up.
>
> Any information on that? Like the name of the place the British troops
> rescued him from?

http://www.abeilleinfo.com/dossiers/dossier.php?nomdossier=ancerl&rg=1&tit_dos=Ancerl%20Gold%20Edition

Hope that helps.

Was he the one under whose baton you played the Rachmaninoff 3rd with
Richter as soloist?

SG

Feb 5, 2006, 7:39:32 PM2/5/06

alanwa...@aol.com wrote:
> I repeat that I no longer want to say whatever it is that I know,
> either as to the "conductor", or the musicians who from time to time
> played for him.

This does not even begin to answer mine, however, I have another
question: why "conductor" and not simply conductor ?

regards,
SG

alanwa...@aol.com

Feb 5, 2006, 8:04:39 PM2/5/06

> Was he the one under whose baton you played the Rachmaninoff 3rd with
> Richter as soloist?

No. But would you care to tell us, Mr Lemken, where Mr Ancerl spent
most of World War II and why? And what the names of those places were?

And who ran those places?

I await your reply with interest.

Message has been deleted

alanwa...@aol.com

Feb 5, 2006, 8:28:41 PM2/5/06

I suggest the original OP sends the question to Concert Artist not me
and hopefully posts the results of same.

Why "conductor"? Easy. As Mr Lemken says in his OP we have no idea as
to whether he was an actual person or not do we?

So, at the moment, the "conductor" is unresolved I think.
He'll get no help from me.

I look forward to Mr Lemken posting further details.

Peter Lemken

Feb 5, 2006, 8:31:58 PM2/5/06
alanwa...@aol.com <alanwa...@aol.com> wrote:

> > Was he the one under whose baton you played the Rachmaninoff 3rd with
> > Richter as soloist?
> >

> No.

But then, who was the conductor you supposedly played with on the occasion of
Richter performing the Rachmaninoff 3rd? What was the occasion? When? Where?

And how come that there is no trace of Richter *ever* having performed the
concerto other than in your imagination?

> But would you care to tell us, Mr Lemken, where Mr Ancerl spent
> most of World War II and why? And what the names of those places were?

Absolutely.

The first one was Terezín (Theresienstadt), the second one was Oswiecim
(Auschwitz). He spent the time there (and thank god he made it out there
alive), because he was Jewish and because some idiots in power at that time
thought that this was reason good enough to put him into those places.

You were saying?

> And who ran those places?

The Germans. The Nazis. The Fascists. The Idiots. My Ancestors.

> I await your reply with interest.

I am sure that helps, although you could have read that for yourself in the
biographical link I have sent you in the previous posting.

The fact, however, that you obviously needed to have this spelled out again
in all its blunt perversity is good enough to show what kind of man you
are, Alan Watkins.

You are insinuating that I as German have some kind of imaginary connection
with Nazi Germany. It is also obviously designed to discredit me as a person
and imply that I am in no position whatsoever to question anything that
might only have the slightest notion of a connection with Nazi Germany and
the sad fate of those who have been murdered, abused and persecuted by a
fascist regime in a country that is not my country.

And that actually makes you a not very likeable and credible person, to put
it mildly.

If I were you - thank god I am not - I would either set things straight or
quietly leave the scene.

I remain yours with all due respect

The Historian

Feb 5, 2006, 10:47:08 PM2/5/06
Peter Lemken wrote:
> alanwa...@aol.com <alanwa...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> I no longer want to say whatever it is I know in this thread.
>
> What a pity. I would really have been curious to learn from an insider like
> you whether
>
> "I cannot say whether Mr Kohler is a fake or a pseundonym. On "his"
> recording of Brahms Piano Concerto No 2 I happen to know who the 1st
> horn and who the cellist is/was"
>
> this particular recording actually had a soloist, or whether it was a "Music
> Minus One" production.
>
> Also, we will then never learn how they seated an orchestra large enough for
> Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff into the tiny studio of Concert Artists.

The Rachmaninoff concertos were recorded in St. Mark's Church, Croydon,
and Watford Town Hall, not in a "tiny studio".

> Peter Lemken
> Berlin

tag gallagher

Feb 5, 2006, 11:39:03 PM2/5/06

It's a shame that at times we on this group behave as though we're
wolves salivating for blood. First there were endless insinuations that
there was some dark conspiracy behind Joyce Hatto, which Alan Watkins
was somehow part of. Now a dead conductor few of us ever heard of is
being accused of falsifying his life and the righteous are threatening
nuclear war if their accusations are not promptly responded to in
detail, and again Alan Watkins is being held responsible. When Alan
Watkins responds with Irish sarcasm, because he's properly disgusted
with these repeated witch hunts and lynch mobs, it is not surprising
that he is completely misunderstood.

Message has been deleted

SG

Feb 6, 2006, 1:38:52 AM2/6/06

tag gallagher wrote:

> It's a shame that at times we on this group behave as though we're
> wolves salivating for blood.

I just hope you're not including me in this characterization (are
you?). I was the first to admonish certain posters for undemonstrated
suspicions. That's why I dared to suggest that, given certain, still
undemonstrated, allegations of fraud, if anybody actually knew the
conductor, sharing information may be more useful than using Irish
humor in further obfuscating the issue. The best thing would be perhaps
for the Concert Artists to release an authorized biographical outline
of the conductor who did so much work for them. I'd think they would
owe him that much. I actually suspect they will do so.

regards,
SG
P.S. I am not going nuclear, dear Tag Gallagher. That odd-looking thing
you noticed in my kitchen? It's a solar energy concoction for peaceful
dishwashing purposes. (-:

Peter Lemken

Feb 6, 2006, 2:56:26 AM2/6/06

Maybe. I wrote about the size of the orchestra, not the actual recordings,
but thanks for bringing it up. A quick search on the Musicweb site shows
that Tchaikovsky, Grieg, Schumann, Saint-Saens and Prokofiev concerti were
supposedly recorded there.

Can we agree on "pretty large orchestras" in a tiny studio?

Peter Lemken

Feb 6, 2006, 3:18:40 AM2/6/06
The Historian <Spam...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The Rachmaninoff concertos were recorded in St. Mark's Church, Croydon,

http://www.findachurch.co.uk/area/tq/tq36.html

Where is St. Mark's Church in Croydon?

> and Watford Town Hall, not in a "tiny studio".

I presume that's the Colosseum, former "Town Hall", right? Today's Town Hall
seems to be Watford's administrative centre.

The Historian

Feb 6, 2006, 7:08:27 AM2/6/06
Peter Lemken wrote:
> The Historian <Spam...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> The Rachmaninoff concertos were recorded in St. Mark's Church, Croydon,
>
> http://www.findachurch.co.uk/area/tq/tq36.html
>
> Where is St. Mark's Church in Croydon?
>
>> and Watford Town Hall, not in a "tiny studio".
>
> I presume that's the Colosseum, former "Town Hall", right? Today's Town Hall
> seems to be Watford's administrative centre.
>
> Peter Lemken
> Berlin

Sorry Peter, I was merely quoting Concert Artist's website. I have no
connection to CA, aside from owning copies of the Brahms concertos
played by Ms. Hatto.

Ian Pace

Feb 6, 2006, 7:10:41 AM2/6/06

"Peter Lemken" <spam.f...@buerotiger.de> wrote in message

> The Historian <Spam...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> The Rachmaninoff concertos were recorded in St. Mark's Church, Croydon,
>
> http://www.findachurch.co.uk/area/tq/tq36.html
>
> Where is St. Mark's Church in Croydon?

Yes - whereabouts?

Ian (Croydon resident)

Andrys Basten

Feb 6, 2006, 7:20:14 AM2/6/06
In article <44of30F...@individual.net>,

Peter Lemken <pe...@strg-alt-entf.org> wrote:
>The Historian <Spam...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> The Rachmaninoff concertos were recorded in St. Mark's Church, Croydon,
>
>http://www.findachurch.co.uk/area/tq/tq36.html
>
>Where is St. Mark's Church in Croydon?

What's the matter with you, Peter. Article envy?

There are several answers on this results page.

http://tinyurl.com/8s96k

--
http://andrys1.blogspot.com

Ian Pace

Feb 6, 2006, 7:25:01 AM2/6/06

"Andrys Basten" <and...@panix.com> wrote in message
Presumably the church in question (the nearest one) is St Mark's in Purley,
not Croydon. Purley is just south of Croydon.

Ian

Andrys Basten

Feb 6, 2006, 7:33:12 AM2/6/06
In article <51HFf.79059$W4.4...@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>,

When I put
"st. mark's church" croydon

into Google, I get the following:
http://tinyurl.com/bewlp

and a bunch of other results.

The map at
http://www.findachurch.co.uk/area/tq/tq36.html

shows several smaller places by the larger "Croydon"
having St. Mark's...

When people ask where I am, I say Berkeley because
people know what that is, rather than the smaller town
I live in about 7 miles away.

Peter, why don't you write all your doubts and
questions to Richard Dyer, who wrote the earlier large
article about Hatto. I'm sure he'll be interested in
replying. Or, why not write Concert Artists. Or, do
you just prefer to imply things here.

- A

--
http://andrys1.blogspot.com

MrT

Feb 6, 2006, 7:42:20 AM2/6/06
I say we call in Sherlock Holmes...

Best,

MrT

Ian Pace

Feb 6, 2006, 7:45:47 AM2/6/06

> In article <51HFf.79059$W4.4...@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>,
> Ian Pace <i...@ianpace.com> wrote:
>>
>>"Peter Lemken" <spam.f...@buerotiger.de> wrote in message

>>> http://www.findachurch.co.uk/area/tq/tq36.html
>>>
>>> Where is St. Mark's Church in Croydon?
>>>
>>Yes - whereabouts?
>>
>>Ian (Croydon resident)
>

> When I put
> "st. mark's church" croydon
>
> into Google, I get the following:
> http://tinyurl.com/bewlp
>
> and a bunch of other results.
>
> The map at
> http://www.findachurch.co.uk/area/tq/tq36.html
>
> shows several smaller places by the larger "Croydon"
> having St. Mark's...
>
> When people ask where I am, I say Berkeley because
> people know what that is, rather than the smaller town
> I live in about 7 miles away.

I describe myself as living in London, though it's debatable whether Croydon
strictly speaking is part of London (I don't have a London postcode, but do
have a London telephone number). London is a huge metropolitan area whose
borders are loosely defined, whereas Croydon is a borough. However, no-one
from Purley would describe where they are as being Croydon - they are two
separate boroughs of comparable size. It would be like saying you're from
Queens when actually you are from Brooklyn. To describe St Mark's Church in
Purley is being in Croydon is strictly inaccurate.

Ian

Tony - sidoze

Feb 6, 2006, 7:51:14 AM2/6/06

Let me know if you need him. I live round the corner from his house ;)

Ian Pace

Feb 6, 2006, 7:50:33 AM2/6/06

"Ian Pace" <i...@ianpace.com> wrote in message
Looking something up, I realise that the above is wrong - Purley is actually
registered as part of the London Borough of Croydon. However, as I say,
someone from Purley wouldn't describe themselves as being from Croydon
(which is taken to be a particular area) and the address is misleading.

Ian

Andrys Basten

Feb 6, 2006, 7:56:22 AM2/6/06
In article <%xHFf.6647$Dn4....@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net>,

Well, there's one in West Wickham right next to Croydn
but on the map in much smaller letters. And one in South Norwood.

And to add to any conspiracy theory, Fiorentino recorded
with Kohler.

From Crotchet page
CATALOGUE NR: CACD92342
RECORD LABEL: Concert Artist
FORMAT: CD
PRICE: £ 12.50 including VAT, or £ 10.64 excluding VAT

COMPOSER: George Gershwin
TRACKS: Piano Concerto in F. Three Piano Preludes : Prelude in B flat /
Prelude in C sharp minor / Prelude in E flat. Song Transcriptions : The man
I love / Lady be good / Somebody loves me / I've got rhythm / Stairway to
Paradise / Fascinating Rhythm / Swanee / 'S Wonderful. An American in Paris.
ORCHESTRA: National Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra and London Philharmonic
CONDUCTOR: Rene Kohler and Hugo Rignold
ARTISTS: Sergio Fiorentino

But what can Peter expect. Fiorentino is also put
out by Concert Artists. MUST be very questionable, eh?

Andrys Basten

Feb 6, 2006, 8:01:12 AM2/6/06
In article <tCHFf.16080$494....@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>,
Ian Pace <i...@ianpace.com> wrote:

>>> When I put
>>> "st. mark's church" croydon
>>>
>>> into Google, I get the following:
>>> http://tinyurl.com/bewlp
>>>
>>> and a bunch of other results.
>>>
>>> The map at
>>> http://www.findachurch.co.uk/area/tq/tq36.html
>>>
>>> shows several smaller places by the larger "Croydon"
>>> having St. Mark's...
>>>
>>> When people ask where I am, I say Berkeley because

>> I describe myself as living in London, though it's debatable whether
>> Croydon strictly speaking is part of London (I don't have a London
>> postcode, but do have a London telephone number). London is a huge
>> metropolitan area whose borders are loosely defined, whereas Croydon is a
>> borough. However, no-one from Purley would describe where they are as
>> being Croydon - they are two separate boroughs of comparable size. It
>> would be like saying you're from Queens when actually you are from
>> Brooklyn. To describe St Mark's Church in Purley is being in Croydon is
>> strictly inaccurate.
>>
>Looking something up, I realise that the above is wrong - Purley is actually
>registered as part of the London Borough of Croydon. However, as I say,
>someone from Purley wouldn't describe themselves as being from Croydon
>(which is taken to be a particular area) and the address is misleading.
>
>Ian

Hatto is presumably not "from" Croyden but the recording
was said to be made in a church there.

Also, there is still West Wickham, which is closer, and smaller.

But Sergio Fiorentino probably imagined Kohler and his
orchestra "in a tiny studio" and it just caught on when he
also, for some reason, said he did a recording with him.

Ian Pace

Feb 6, 2006, 8:03:51 AM2/6/06

"Andrys Basten" <and...@panix.com> wrote in message
West Wickham isn't really closer to the central Croydon area (which is
generally thought of as consisting of the areas of East Croydon, West
Croydon and South Croydon) - the areas of Addiscombe and Shirley stand in
between West Wickham and East Croydon (which is the nearest part of Croydon,
and the part in which I live). Purley, on the other hand, is adjacent to
South Croydon. Also, West Wickham is registered as part of the London
Borough of Bromley, not Croydon.

Ian

Peter Lemken

Feb 6, 2006, 8:26:15 AM2/6/06
Andrys Basten <and...@panix.com> wrote:

> And to add to any conspiracy theory, Fiorentino recorded
> with Kohler.

No he did not.

> From Crotchet page
> CATALOGUE NR: CACD92342
> RECORD LABEL: Concert Artist
> FORMAT: CD
> PRICE: £ 12.50 including VAT, or £ 10.64 excluding VAT
>
> COMPOSER: George Gershwin
> TRACKS: Piano Concerto in F. Three Piano Preludes : Prelude in B flat /
> Prelude in C sharp minor / Prelude in E flat. Song Transcriptions : The man
> I love / Lady be good / Somebody loves me / I've got rhythm / Stairway to
> Paradise / Fascinating Rhythm / Swanee / 'S Wonderful. An American in Paris.
> ORCHESTRA: National Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra and London Philharmonic
> CONDUCTOR: Rene Kohler and Hugo Rignold
> ARTISTS: Sergio Fiorentino
>

> But what can Peter expect. Fiorentino is also put
> out by Concert Artists. MUST be very questionable, eh?

Please check your facts, before you start mocking me:

-Concerto in F
London Philharmonic Orchestra
Conductor: Hugo Rignold
recorded: 24 June 1960 London, Walthamstow Assembly Hall

LP: Saga XID 5130 (1962)
Saga XID 5183 (1963) (coupled with Rhapsody in Blue played by Joyce Hatto)
CD: Concert Artist/Fidelio CACD 9234-2 (2004) (disk contains also "An
American in Paris", played by the National Philharmonic Orchestra under René
Köhler)

Peter Lemken

Feb 6, 2006, 8:27:37 AM2/6/06
Andrys Basten <and...@panix.com> wrote:

> But Sergio Fiorentino probably imagined Kohler and his
> orchestra "in a tiny studio" and it just caught on when he
> also, for some reason, said he did a recording with him.

You do have a source for that, do you? What recording would that be?

graham

Feb 6, 2006, 9:46:01 AM2/6/06

"Peter Lemken" <spam.f...@buerotiger.de> wrote in message
> The Historian <Spam...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> The Rachmaninoff concertos were recorded in St. Mark's Church, Croydon,
>
> http://www.findachurch.co.uk/area/tq/tq36.html
>
> Where is St. Mark's Church in Croydon?
>
>> and Watford Town Hall, not in a "tiny studio".
>
> I presume that's the Colosseum, former "Town Hall", right? Today's Town
> Hall
> seems to be Watford's administrative centre.

If you look through your collection, you will find that the majors used WTH
as a recording venue.

Simon Roberts

Feb 6, 2006, 11:39:08 AM2/6/06
In article <xeHFf.79065$W4.3...@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>, Ian Pace says...

Croydon is also a suburb of Sydney (Australia) and of Philadelphia; maybe they
have a St Mark's church....

Simon (who has the rare privilege of having spent time in all three Croydons)

Andrys Basten

Feb 6, 2006, 12:55:49 PM2/6/06
In article <44p169F...@individual.net>,

Peter Lemken <pe...@strg-alt-entf.org> wrote:
>Andrys Basten <and...@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> But Sergio Fiorentino probably imagined Kohler and his
>> orchestra "in a tiny studio" and it just caught on when he
>> also, for some reason, said he did a recording with him.
>
>You do have a source for that, do you? What recording would that be?

I think I quoted that Crotchet album description
in another note. But look up fiorentino and gershwin
together, at Crotchet.

- A

--
http://andrys1.blogspot.com

Andrys Basten

Feb 6, 2006, 1:09:10 PM2/6/06

In article <44p13mF...@individual.net>,

Peter Lemken <pe...@strg-alt-entf.org> wrote:
>Andrys Basten <and...@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> And to add to any conspiracy theory, Fiorentino recorded
>> with Kohler.
>
>No he did not.
>
>> From Crotchet page
>> CATALOGUE NR: CACD92342
>> RECORD LABEL: Concert Artist
>> FORMAT: CD
>> PRICE: £ 12.50 including VAT, or £ 10.64 excluding VAT
>>
>> COMPOSER: George Gershwin
>> TRACKS: Piano Concerto in F. Three Piano Preludes : Prelude in B flat /
>> Prelude in C sharp minor / Prelude in E flat. Song Transcriptions : The man
>> I love / Lady be good / Somebody loves me / I've got rhythm / Stairway to
>> Paradise / Fascinating Rhythm / Swanee / 'S Wonderful. An American in Paris.
>> ORCHESTRA: National Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra and London Philharmonic
>> CONDUCTOR: Rene Kohler and Hugo Rignold
>> ARTISTS: Sergio Fiorentino
>>

>> But what can Peter expect. Fiorentino is also put
>> out by Concert Artists. MUST be very questionable, eh?
>
>Please check your facts, before you start mocking me:

Who's mocking the all-important you?

I'm making sport of your constant implications.

I was, however, wrong that he conducted Fiorentino
on the recording.

Whoever Kohler was, you can't get past (whether
or not you dislike Tom's putdowns of Zhukov, in a
forum where putdowns seem the thing to do for some
of you) that Hatto's playing on all those discs
is pretty amazing to most who hear it.

I mentioned contacting Dyer because he visited them to
interview them. If you really want answers, ask them
of Dyer, Orga, if you don't trust writing to Concert
Artists, since they have written the main articles of
interest about Hatto this last year. That would be
better than making all sorts of implications to the
likes of us here though I'm sure that's more fun for
you and more in line with your general approach.

Have you bothered to write Concert Artists even,
with your questions? Or do you prefer to just hint
around here?

Peter Lemken

Feb 6, 2006, 1:09:16 PM2/6/06
Andrys Basten <and...@panix.com> wrote:
> In article <44p169F...@individual.net>,
> Peter Lemken <pe...@strg-alt-entf.org> wrote:
> >Andrys Basten <and...@panix.com> wrote:
> >
> >> But Sergio Fiorentino probably imagined Kohler and his
> >> orchestra "in a tiny studio" and it just caught on when he
> >> also, for some reason, said he did a recording with him.
> >
> >You do have a source for that, do you? What recording would that be?
>
> I think I quoted that Crotchet album description
> in another note. But look up fiorentino and gershwin
> together, at Crotchet.

-Concerto in F
London Philharmonic Orchestra
Conductor: Hugo Rignold
recorded: 24 June 1960 London, Walthamstow Assembly Hall

LP: Saga XID 5130 (1962)
Saga XID 5183 (1963) (coupled with Rhapsody in Blue played by Joyce Hatto)
CD: Concert Artist/Fidelio CACD 9234-2 (2004) (disk contains also "An
American in Paris", played by the National Philharmonic Orchestra under René
Köhler)

HTH.

Peter Lemken
Berlin

Steve Emerson

Feb 6, 2006, 2:35:42 PM2/6/06
"Ian Pace" <i...@ianpace.com> wrote:

> I describe myself as living in London

I never describe myself. Very bad policy. Unhealthy.

SE.

Leopold

Feb 6, 2006, 2:36:42 PM2/6/06

Peter Lemken wrote:
> The Historian <Spam...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > The Rachmaninoff concertos were recorded in St. Mark's Church, Croydon,
>
> http://www.findachurch.co.uk/area/tq/tq36.html
>
> Where is St. Mark's Church in Croydon?

I don't know, but it's listed with a telephone number at
http://www.bromley.org/library/churches.htm .

Leopold

Ian Pace

Feb 6, 2006, 3:03:16 PM2/6/06

"Leopold" <fromgoogle.5....@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
Bromley most definitely is not Croydon.

Ian

Message has been deleted

Leopold

Feb 6, 2006, 3:48:26 PM2/6/06

No, but there is an entry on that page for
Mark's Church (St.) Church of England Croydon .

Ian Pace

Feb 6, 2006, 4:07:23 PM2/6/06

"Leopold" <fromgoogle.5....@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
If anyone can find an address for that church, I'll go and check it out.

Ian

Brendan R. Wehrung

Feb 6, 2006, 11:46:55 PM2/6/06
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Wayne_Reimer?= (wrdslremovethis濃pacbell.net) writes:
>> In article <HpAFf.13074$vU2....@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, t...@sprynet.com says...
>>

>> The Historian wrote:

>> > The Rachmaninoff concertos were recorded in St. Mark's Church, Croydon,
>> > and Watford Town Hall, not in a "tiny studio".

>> It's a shame that at times we on this group behave as though we're
>> wolves salivating for blood. First there were endless insinuations that
>> there was some dark conspiracy behind Joyce Hatto, which Alan Watkins
>> was somehow part of. Now a dead conductor few of us ever heard of is
>> being accused of falsifying his life and the righteous are threatening
>> nuclear war if their accusations are not promptly responded to in
>> detail, and again Alan Watkins is being held responsible. When Alan
>> Watkins responds with Irish sarcasm, because he's properly disgusted
>> with these repeated witch hunts and lynch mobs, it is not surprising
>> that he is completely misunderstood.
>>
> You imagine things. There were no insinuations about a "dark
> conspiracy", merely the fact that Watkins is less than forthright about
> his past and/or present connections to people connected to Ms. Hatto.
> The position that he had absolutely no personal connections to anything
> or anyone related in any way to Ms. Hatto (while praising her to the
> skies with some regularity here) still strikes me as disingenuous, at
> best.
>
> wr

I once met Ray Bolger (charming man). Does that mean I cannot have an
opinion on The Wizard of Oz?

Brendan

Brendan R. Wehrung

Feb 6, 2006, 11:55:04 PM2/6/06