Watanabe Sibelius

Brendan R. Wehrung

Aug 26, 2002, 8:36:56 PM8/26/02
Have the Watanabe Sibelius symphonies that once appeared on Epic ever
appeared on CD? I read here that the later set (on Denon?) is not a good.

Brendan

Matthew B. Tepper

Aug 27, 2002, 2:16:59 AM8/27/02
ck...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Brendan R. Wehrung) appears to have caused
the following letters to be typed in

> Have the Watanabe Sibelius symphonies that once appeared on Epic ever
> appeared on CD?

Not to my knowledge, unfortunately.

> I read here that the later set (on Denon?) is not a good.
>
> Brendan

Top 3 worst UK exports: Mad-cow; Foot-and-mouth; Charlotte Church

John F. Berky

Aug 27, 2002, 9:39:54 AM8/27/02
I believe the entire set was available in Japan. About a year ago, Denon
also released Symphonies 1,2,5,&7 with some orchestral pieces in a 2 CD set
(#17033). That may still be available. cdchoice.com shows it for $15.00

--
John F. Berky

Visit the Bruckner Symphony Version Discography at:
http://home.attbi.com/~jberky/BSVD.htm

"Matthew B. Tepper" <oy兀earthlink.net> wrote in message

Matthew B. Tepper

Aug 27, 2002, 10:16:57 AM8/27/02
Nope, those are the later recordings, not the "classic" Watanabes.

"John F. Berky" <jbe...@attbi.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:KiLa9.195880$983.355879@rwcrnsc53:

Brendan R. Wehrung

Aug 27, 2002, 5:40:04 PM8/27/02
"John F. Berky" (jbe...@attbi.com) writes:
> I believe the entire set was available in Japan. About a year ago, Denon
> also released Symphonies 1,2,5,&7 with some orchestral pieces in a 2 CD set
> (#17033). That may still be available. cdchoice.com shows it for $15.00
>
> --
> John F. Berky

Somebody said this was a second recording of the cyle, not a good as the,
well, I guess it would be Philips if it was on Epic.

Brendan

R. Masuda

Aug 27, 2002, 11:02:05 PM8/27/02
Both recordings are on DENON.

COCO80406-9 (1962 recording) 6000yen 21.Nov.1996
COCO80410-13 (1981 recording) 6000yen 21.Nov.1996

I don't know if they still are available.

R. Masuda
ha...@cside2.jp

Joshua Kaufman

Aug 27, 2002, 11:48:03 PM8/27/02
"R. Masuda" wrote:

> Both recordings are on DENON.
>
> COCO80406-9 (1962 recording) 6000yen 21.Nov.1996
> COCO80410-13 (1981 recording) 6000yen 21.Nov.1996
>
> I don't know if they still are available.

Wow, even for Japan those are high prices for 4CD sets...

-Joshua
--
AOL-IM: TerraEpon ICQ: 5404138

abde...@att.net

May 12, 2016, 9:41:52 AM5/12/16
Yes! You can purchase them from Klassichaus. They have been beautifully remastered

abde...@att.net

Jun 18, 2016, 4:10:53 PM6/18/16
On Monday, August 26, 2002 at 8:36:56 PM UTC-4, Brendan R. Wehrung wrote:
Yes, they have been transferred to CD and are available from Klassichaus.us
The transfers were made from reel-to-reel tape and they did a nice job

Alan

Bob Harper

Jun 18, 2016, 5:02:08 PM6/18/16
Also available for download on SymphonyShare, where I believe they come
from a Denon CD reissue.

Bob Harper

Jon Bell

Jun 21, 2016, 12:09:46 AM6/21/16
According to a reviewer on Amazon, these are two different sets of
performances. The Epic/Klassichaus recordings are from 1960-62, and the
Denon recordings are from 1981.

I remember seeing the Epic LPs in a music store (mostly band
instruments, with a few bins of LPs) in my home town when I was in high
school c. 1970, but it was too pricey for me, and completely unknown to
me. ("Watanabe? Japan Philharmonic? WTF??") I've never seen it since then.

I'm tempted to download the Klassichaus transfer, to hear what I've
missed all these years.

Bob Harper

Jun 21, 2016, 2:25:56 AM6/21/16
Actually, BOTH sets have been available on SymphonyShare, at least
that's what the relevant posts have indicated.

Bob Harper

Saint Russell

Jun 21, 2016, 11:49:40 PM6/21/16
To clarify, both sets are Denon recordings, and Denon issued both cycles on CD although I don't believe the reissue of the earlier one had much availability outside Japan.