OT: follow-up on CDR problem

Alan Cooper

May 18, 2008, 5:47:29 PM5/18/08
First of all, thanks to the individuals who kindly offered advice in response to my
previous request for assistance. In case anyone else has a similar problem in the
future (CDRs burned with EAC played perfectly in every player except my new Arcam), I
will share the following lessons that I learned while solving the problem:

(1) My Arcam player does not like Memorex Music CDRs, no matter how they are burned.
Three other players had no problem with them.

(2) The Arcam does not like any brand of CDR burned using EAC, especially when a
pregap is inserted between tracks. The pregap stops the player in its tracks (so to
speak).

(3) Using Burrrn and any brand of CDR that I've tried (Fuji, Maxell, TDK) other than
Memorex yields excellent results, but only when the writing speed is set no higher
than 12x. According to a poster in the peripherals newsgroup, this limitation is
related to the Philips SDVD8820 combo drive that came with my laptop.

Changing CDR brands, switching from EAC to Burrn, and reducing the writing speed were
the keys to success. Now my Arcam is happy and so am I :-)

AC

Morton

May 19, 2008, 9:02:03 PM5/19/08

For what it is worth, I have been advised that, for best results, to
burn CD-Rs at 4x speed and no faster. I do just that, with good results.

Morton

nm...@optonline.net

May 20, 2008, 11:19:47 AM5/20/08
I routinely burn CD-Rs at 40X, which is the highest speed my internal
TDK 40/12/48B is capable of, either "on the fly" or from an image. I'm
fearful of the possibility that burning at any slower speed might
produce a problem, (but I have zero reason to that, as it would only
tie up my computer for a longer time period). I had difficulty finding
a burning program that would copy index markings until I learned that
the "TDK Digital Mixmaster" bundled with this burner does just that
(and at 40X). Inexpensive 52X Ridatas, their motto being "always
right", are in fact just that, for any of the players I own including
two of my originals; a 1986 Sony 302 II and a Magnavox CDB-650 dating
from about the same year.

bobp...@gmail.com

May 29, 2008, 11:52:30 AM5/29/08