PRISTINE: Rare Piano 2 - Friedrich Wührer plays Beethoven PC4

Andrew Rose

Jan 16, 2009, 10:29:07 AM1/16/09
New Ambient Stereo release today:

BEETHOVEN: Piano Concerto No. 4
Pristine Audio PASC 139

Friedrich Wührer, piano
Bamberg Symphony Orchestra
conducted by Jonel Perlea

Recorded 12-13 September, 1957
Issued as Vox LP PL 10640 in 1958
Transfer and XR remastering by Andrew Rose, January 2009
Cover artwork based on a photograph of Friedrich Wührer

Total duration: 33:05

http://www.pristineclassical.com/LargeWorks/Orchestral/PASC139.php

*An excellent Vox recording and fine performance from 1957*

New transfer, XR remastered in excellent sound quality

Friedrich Wührer was a very highly regarded Austro-German concert
pianist who recorded extensively, including a number of excellent Vox LP
recordings made in the 1950's.

This 1957 Beethoven 4th Concerto was originally issued in 1958, coupled
with an earlier Beethoven recording made with Clemens Krauss which has
since seen widespread reissue.

To the best of our knowledge and research, this present recording has
not been seen since its original issue, and is now something of a
rarity. To find a copy in excellent condition for transfer and
remastering was a stroke of luck, for this is indeed a superb
performance and recording. This reissue is long overdue and well worth
your investigation!

Download listening sample: http://tinyurl.com/PASC139
(Full 3rd movement @ 224kbps)

Notes on the recording: This was one of those lucky finds I occasionally
stumble across - a French pressing of a highly regarded pianist, well
recorded and issued on Vox, but not seen since. The disc was in very
good condition, and restoration requirements were minimal. XR
remastering and Ambient Stereo processing brought with them extra
dimensions of realism, and apart from some very occasional and mild peak
distortion found on many piano recordings of this era, this proved a
most enjoyable project in every way. A highly recommended recording!

Available as MP3, 24-bit or 16-bit FLAC, 16-bit Ambient Stereo, CD
or listen on demand with Pristine Audio Direct Access (PADA)

--
Andrew Rose

Pristine Classical: "The destination for people interested in historic
recordings..." (Gramophone)

www.pristineclassical.com

Rugby

Jan 16, 2009, 9:30:06 PM1/16/09
On Jan 16, 9:29 am, Andrew Rose <and...@pristineaudio.com> wrote:

This should be a treat ,if Neal's downloads are any indication.

Rugby

BrianK

Jan 17, 2009, 5:38:18 PM1/17/09

I had read about Feiedrich WÜHRER in my Grove but this was my first
opportunity to hear him, so I downloaded the last movement of
Beethoven's 4th. The pianism is wonderful and the recording very good
for the time. However, I was a bit disappointed in the orchestral
contribution. I am not sure whether it is the recording or just the
limitations of the Bamberg SO at that time, but the upper strings
sound rather thin and the lower strings rather muddied. Evenso,
Pristine Audio have done music lovers proud my making this available
and I hope that there are nore WÜHRER recordings around that can be
issued.

Brian K

Andy Evans

Jan 17, 2009, 6:21:43 PM1/17/09
On Jan 17, 10:38�pm, BrianK <briankni...@internode.on.net> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 1:29�am, Andrew Rose <and...@pristineaudio.com> wrote:
>

> > New Ambient Stereo release today:
>
> > BEETHOVEN: Piano Concerto No. 4
> > Pristine Audio PASC 139
>
> > Friedrich W�hrer, piano

> > Bamberg Symphony Orchestra
> > conducted by Jonel Perlea
>
> > Recorded 12-13 September, 1957
> > Issued as Vox LP PL 10640 in 1958
> > Transfer and XR remastering by Andrew Rose, January 2009
> > Cover artwork based on a photograph of Friedrich W�hrer

> > Total duration: 33:05
>
> >http://www.pristineclassical.com/LargeWorks/Orchestral/PASC139.php
>
> > *An excellent Vox recording and fine performance from 1957*
>
> > New transfer, XR remastered in excellent sound quality
>
> > Friedrich W�hrer was a very highly regarded Austro-German concert
> I had read about Feiedrich W�HRER in my Grove but this was my first

> opportunity to hear him, so I downloaded the last movement of
> Beethoven's 4th. The pianism is wonderful and the recording very good
> for the time. However, I was a bit disappointed in the orchestral
> contribution. I am not sure whether it is the recording or just the
> limitations of the Bamberg SO at that time, but the upper strings
> sound rather thin and the lower strings rather muddied. Evenso,
> Pristine Audio have done music lovers proud my making this available
> and I hope that there are nore W�HRER recordings around that can be
> issued.
>
> Brian K- Hide quoted text -

Somewhere I should have the whole Wuhrer box of Beethoven piano
concerti unless I sold it - is it really that rare?

andy