Michelin Pilot Power Recall

pltrgyst

Jun 23, 2007, 11:59:08 PM6/23/07
In case anyone in the ng is running these tires on any of their bikes:

=============
PRODUCT RECALL

Saturday, June 23, 2007; Washington Post Page D01

Motorcycle Tires

DETAILS: Michelin is recalling 19,924 motorcycle tires in the United
States and Canada. The recall includes two front-tire models, the
Michelin Pilot Power 2CT and Michelin Pilot Power. Both are size 120/70
ZR 17 (58W), labeled Made in France and marked with the numbers DOT 6UCW 980T
and DOT 6UCW 979T on one sidewall.

DEFECT: Michelin said that at speeds exceeding normal highway riding,
the tires may exhibit deformation in the tread and possible small
sections of tread separation or loss. The tires could also experience a
slight to excessive vibration and create an unstable riding condition,
the company said.

WHAT TO DO: Schedule an appointment with a Michelin motorcycle tire
dealer to have the tire replaced for free.

========================
Michelin Announces Motorcycle Tire Recall
To date, no accidents or injuries reported

GREENVILLE, S.C., June 15 -- Michelin has notified the National Highway Traffic
Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Transport Canada that it is recalling
Michelin(R) Pilot(R) Power 2CT and Pilot(R) Power 120/70 ZR 17 (58W) front
motorcycle tires with the "Made in France" markings in the United States and
Canada. This recall involves these specific tires only and has no impact on any
other Michelin tires. Related actions are under way in other countries.

An examination of these tires showed a possible defect in the tread due to a
manufacturing irregularity. No cases of pressure loss have been reported and no
accidents have occurred.

Because rider safety is the primary concern, Michelin has decided as a
precaution to replace the 120/70 ZR 17 (58W) Michelin Pilot Power 2CT and
Michelin Pilot Power front tires, which can be identified by the following
markings on the sidewall:

-- a "Made in France" label
-- DOT 6UCW 980T or DOT 6UCW 979T

Any consumer in the United States or Canada who believes they are affected by
the recall should not wait to receive notification but should call Michelin
Consumer Relations at 1 866 324 2835.

The company will be replacing all potentially affected tires in a comprehensive
commitment to retrieve from the market any tire that does not meet Michelin
quality standards. Replacement tires are available at no cost (including
mounting and balancing) to consumers through participating Michelin(R)
motorcycle tire servicing retailers.

=============
-- Larry

Timberwoof

Jun 24, 2007, 12:30:03 AM6/24/07
In article <7vqr73p1lgur04slt...@4ax.com>,
pltrgyst <pltr...@spamlessxhost.org> wrote:

> In case anyone in the ng is running these tires on any of their bikes:
>
> =============
> PRODUCT RECALL
>
> Saturday, June 23, 2007; Washington Post Page D01
>
> Motorcycle Tires
>
> DETAILS: Michelin is recalling 19,924 motorcycle tires in the United
> States and Canada. The recall includes two front-tire models, the
> Michelin Pilot Power 2CT and Michelin Pilot Power. Both are size 120/70
> ZR 17 (58W), labeled Made in France and marked with the numbers DOT 6UCW 980T
> and DOT 6UCW 979T on one sidewall.

Thanks for posting this.

Michelin's willingness to issue such a recall increases my confidence in
their ongoing tetsing and their desire to protect their customers. I've
got a pair of Michelin Pilot Road tires on my R1100GS ... I like them so
far.

--
Timberwoof <me at timberwoof dot com>
faq: http://www.timberwoof.com/motorcycle/faq.shtml

scso...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2007, 3:54:19 PM6/27/07
i've read this only affects a series of numbers of tires:

a "Made in France" label
DOT 6UCW 980T or DOT 6UCW 979T
Pilot Power: week numbers 2704 to 0406 inclusive
Pilot Power 2CT: week numbers 4505 to 1807 inclusive

direct from michelin:
http://www.michelin.co.uk/uk/front/act_affich.jsp?news_id=20122&lang=EN