The power of the internet...

1 view

IdaSpode

Feb 25, 2003, 4:02:57 PM2/25/03
As some of you know, I not only posted here but also to KTM Talk,
Thumper Talk and Holeshot Forum about my chain failure.

Like many bike shops, my dealer is closed on Mondays, so today was my
first chance to deal with them on my chain deal.

The owner was out sick today, but the sales/parts manager (Jay) was on
the phone when I walked in, talking to a customer in Sun Valley (150
miles from BOI) who was inquiring about the Regina chain on his 03
KTM. I heard "IdaSpud?" while I was evesdropping, I realized what was
going on and motioned to Jay that it indeed was me that the guy on the
phone was referring to as having had a problem. He told the customer,
"he's standing right next to me, I'll see what's up..."

As soon as I showed Jay the chain, without hesitation, he said, "oh
sh*t, KTM will want to know about this, shouldn't be a problem getting
it fixed. I'll wait and let Bob (owner) call KTM tomorrow."

That was about 10 am. Jay just called and told me KTM contacted HIM
about 10 minutes after I left. They want to do whatever necessary to
rectify the situation immediately. Parts are ordered and on the way
ASAP, including a new set of case halves, both sprockets, slave
cylinder and credit for a new chain.

My faith in KTM has been reaffirmed. Think any of the big 4 would or
even could respond like this?

David '03 KTM 200EXC
djones<at>LSidaho.com
http://www.motosports-boise.com/rmd

scr...@mindspring.com

Feb 25, 2003, 4:12:24 PM2/25/03
On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:02:57 -0700, IdaSpode <not@home_watching.tv>
wrote:

>My faith in KTM has been reaffirmed. Think any of the big 4 would or
>even could respond like this?

I've heard similar stories by KTM dealers.

Yamaha bought me a new side cover for my kid's 90 when it cracked at
the bolt hole. The dealer made every effort to let me know what
fantastic treatment I was getting.

Darinonaoh

Feb 25, 2003, 4:17:30 PM2/25/03
<< From: IdaSpode not@home_watching.tv >>

<< My faith in KTM has been reaffirmed. Think any of the big 4 would or
even could respond like this? >>

Do you think they wouldn't have? I sure like to think they would have. Someone
would have been responsible. And with the bike being that new it surely isn't
the bike owner. Is it? It would be the chain company or the bike company since
they use that brand of chain. How long have you owned the bike? What's the
warranty?

Darin

Jeff Deeney

Feb 25, 2003, 5:10:22 PM2/25/03
Darinonaoh (darin...@aol.com) wrote:

: Do you think they wouldn't have? I sure like to think they would have. Someone

: would have been responsible. And with the bike being that new it surely isn't
: the bike owner. Is it? It would be the chain company or the bike company since
: they use that brand of chain. How long have you owned the bike? What's the
: warranty?

I believe he only had the bike a couple of weeks. Only 50 miles on the
thing. He did mention that KTM specifically excluded the chain in their
warranty policy. This was outstanding of KTM to cover not only the
failed part, but all the collateral damage as well.

Hey David, while you're at it, see if you can get them to pick up your
medical expenses as well. Take advantage of the roll you're on :-)

-Jeffrey Deeney- DoD#0498 NCTR UTMA BRC COHVCO AMA
'99 ATK 260LQ-Stink Wheels '94 XR650L-DreamSickle
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.

Merf

Feb 25, 2003, 5:51:40 PM2/25/03
> My faith in KTM has been reaffirmed. Think any of the big 4 would or
> even could respond like this?

Good for you! Wonder why they didn't do this when my 92 ate
it's second stator after 5 rides...

Glad everything worked out, including the new turbo device..

Merf

IdaSpode

Feb 25, 2003, 7:21:25 PM2/25/03

I'd like to think so too Darin, but...

If you, or anyone else, knows of an instance where
Yamahonkawukigasaberg responded on their own, within two days to a
post on discussion boards, offering to fix a part failure, technically
not covered under warranty, I'd like to hear about it. I'd offer the
same praise for them.

Personally, if I were working for any bike manufacturer and had
something to say about it, I'd think it would be in the company's best
interest to keep tabs on what the real world is saying about the
products.

I didn't rag on KTM or Regina when I posted, I was both looking for
information and letting others owners know of a possible problem. In
the end, assuming all goes well, KTM will reap more in PR than they
will lose. Regina is the one that will probably ultimately pay for
this, both in PR and I'd imagine KTM will address this issue with them
on some level. I know I will not ever put another Regina on anything I
own.

The 2S KTM E/MXCs have a 6 month warranty. I bought the bike on 2/4
but didn't ride it until 2/15 because I was waiting for aftermarket
parts. That first ride was 43 miles, the other day I added 1.5 miles
before it broke.

A few years back I remember KTM replaced a broken swingarm on ex RMDer
KTMNealios bike, even though he was the second owner, was way, way
past the 30 day SX warranty period and was MXing, getting big air on a
blown shock.

I really don't know what warranty other manufacturers offer on their
off road bikes, except Honda, they also offer 6 mos on the XRs. Can
someone tell us what Yam/Kaw/Suz/GG/Husky/TM/Berg/CDale/ATK offer?

The shock on my wife's XR200 blew after about 2 mos, they happily
replaced it w/o question, took about a week for them to get the part.
My 95 XR250 never had any problems except a taco-ed foot peg, my
fault, bike slipped out from underneath me while sitting still on a
sheet of ice... Before I started buying KTMs, those were the only two
new bikes I'd ever owned.

>Darin

Darinonaoh

Feb 25, 2003, 8:44:34 PM2/25/03
<< From: IdaSpode not@home_watching.tv >>

<< Personally, if I were working for any bike manufacturer and had
something to say about it, I'd think it would be in the company's best
interest to keep tabs on what the real world is saying about the
products. >>

Indeed. I used to frequent a drum newsgroup and I know quite a few company reps
lurk in there. A few instances they actually took advice of real world users.
You never know who may be lurking here. Customer service has to be top priority
for a company to survive now days IMO. Problems (and rumors) spread pretty
quickly with this medium. The picture you posted of the disenigrated Regina
chain with 44.5 miles on it assures they'll never see any of my money. I'm sure
that goes for alot of others on here too.

Props to KTM for their excellent customer service on this one. But, I sure hope
the other big guys would do the same thing.

By the way, good luck kicking the habit and hope everything is going well with
the surgery you had. Hopefully it won't take one of those instances to make me
quit.

Darin

MX Tuner

Feb 25, 2003, 9:35:33 PM2/25/03
On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:02:57 -0700, IdaSpode <not@home_watching.tv>
spewed forth:

>As some of you know, I not only posted here but also to KTM Talk,
>Thumper Talk and Holeshot Forum about my chain failure.

(snippage of a happy ending)

>My faith in KTM has been reaffirmed. Think any of the big 4 would or
>even could respond like this?

I ride with some of the local guys at the Honda shop. They were
tellling me some prety bizarre stories of the Honda and Yamaha reps
covering stuff that wasn't covered, even crash damage stuff, just so
the bike owners would spread the word how wonderful their customer
support is.

Maybe makes up for some of the times they declined to acknowledge a
problem exists.

MX Tuner

Brian McGarry

Feb 25, 2003, 9:39:13 PM2/25/03
"IdaSpode" <not@home_watching.tv> wrote in message

> > My faith in KTM has been reaffirmed. Think any of the big 4 would or
> >even could respond like this? >>

David glad to read that KTM is fixing your bike....Want'a impress me?

If the Industry Reps are reading this stuff, put out an immediate recall on
these chains, you'll be dollars ahead in the long run.

MXOldtimer

Feb 26, 2003, 12:13:03 AM2/26/03
I've gotta say I'm happy with the way I've been treated by Yamaha/Yamaha
dealer. The replaced a cracked tank after I had the bike over a year, I was
really shocked, no lip service or anything the parts guy said we'll have you
one here as quick as they can. They sent new graphics too. Both my 426 & 250F
have been completely reliable, zero problems other than the ones I've inflicted
on them.
Doug
Pacific NorthWET/Oregon
http://hometown.aol.com/mxoldtimer/myhomepage/index.html

IdaSpode

Feb 26, 2003, 1:48:54 AM2/26/03
On 26 Feb 2003 05:13:03 GMT, mxold...@aol.com (MXOldtimer) wrote:

> I've gotta say I'm happy with the way I've been treated by Yamaha/Yamaha
>dealer. The replaced a cracked tank after I had the bike over a year, I was
>really shocked, no lip service or anything the parts guy said we'll have you
>one here as quick as they can. They sent new graphics too. Both my 426 & 250F
>have been completely reliable, zero problems other than the ones I've inflicted
>on them.

Things like this are good to hear Doug, especially in these days and
times of "no accountability, no responsibility" corporate attitudes.
They have to come out ahead in the long run if they have good customer
relations.

Take Craftsman tools return policy for instance. Yeah, I know they
aren't the bestest tools in the world but entirely adequate for home
mechs like most of us. I've purchased plenty of their tools over the
last too-many-years-to-think-about. All I've ever had to return have
been to occasionally cycle my worn phillips head screwdrivers and one
1/2" ratchet that I broke jumping up and down on a 6' breaker bar.

>Doug

IdaSpode

Feb 26, 2003, 1:59:36 AM2/26/03

If it were my call, I'd have a metallurgist examine it and contact
Regina before I jumped on that wagon.

IdaSpode

Feb 26, 2003, 2:03:43 AM2/26/03
On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:48:54 -0700, IdaSpode <not@home_watching.tv>
wrote:

oops, hit send one line too soon...

>Take Craftsman tools return policy for instance. Yeah, I know they
>aren't the bestest tools in the world but entirely adequate for home
>mechs like most of us. I've purchased plenty of their tools over the
>last too-many-years-to-think-about. All I've ever had to return have
>been to occasionally cycle my worn phillips head screwdrivers and one
>1/2" ratchet that I broke jumping up and down on a 6' breaker bar.

But the confidence of knowing they will stand behind their product
keeps me coming back.

>>Doug

DJ

jeb

Feb 26, 2003, 8:04:54 AM2/26/03
On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 17:21:25 -0700, IdaSpode <not@home_watching.tv> wrote:

>On 25 Feb 2003 21:17:30 GMT, darin...@aol.com (Darinonaoh) wrote:
>
>><< From: IdaSpode not@home_watching.tv >>
>>

>><< My faith in KTM has been reaffirmed. Think any of the big 4 would or
>>even could respond like this? >>

Good to hear, David.

>If you, or anyone else, knows of an instance where
>Yamahonkawukigasaberg responded on their own, within two days to a
>post on discussion boards, offering to fix a part failure, technically
>not covered under warranty, I'd like to hear about it. I'd offer the
>same praise for them.

KTM did the same when I blew the cam bearing out of my 01 400EXC. I couldn't
believe they initiated the contact. Sure a nice feeling, though.

> Regina is the one that will probably ultimately pay for
>this, both in PR and I'd imagine KTM will address this issue with them
>on some level. I know I will not ever put another Regina on anything I
>own.

I agree. I've had good luck with that same chain on my 03 450EXC but I won't
get another.

jeb

Brian McGarry

Feb 26, 2003, 9:52:51 AM2/26/03

"IdaSpode" <not@home_watching.tv> wrote in message

> >If the Industry Reps are reading this stuff, put out an immediate recall
on
> >these chains, you'll be dollars ahead in the long run.
>
> If it were my call, I'd have a metallurgist examine it and contact
> Regina before I jumped on that wagon.

Yes of course.... I'm assuming that there is something inherently wrong with
some Regina chains, based on what I read on RMD.

Common Sense Approach assumes that the Metallurgist 'would' find something
wrong. I agree the testing would have to be first before a recall.

My post was meant to spur the Industry Reps that may read these posts to get
moving on the process and take a serous look at these chains.

IdaSpode

Feb 26, 2003, 10:09:16 AM2/26/03
On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:52:51 -0600, "Brian McGarry"
<sca...@execpc.com> wrote:

>My post was meant to spur the Industry Reps that may read these posts to get
>moving on the process and take a serous look at these chains.

If you want to toss out some ideas towards KTM, try over on Holeshot's
Forums, it will probably land a little closer that way.

Jim Hall

Feb 26, 2003, 10:25:39 AM2/26/03
IdaSpode <not@home_watching.tv> wrote:

I worked at a Bultaco motorcycle shop one summer when I was 20 or so.
To rebuild a Bultaco shock, it was necessary to unscrew the top mount
off the shaft. There were two flats at the top of the shaft which had
to be held with a 10mm wrench to keep the shaft from spinning. For
some reason, it always took a lot of torque to unscrew this assembly -
probably a good thing because you wouldn't want the shock to
self-disassemble while you were riding.

Over a month period of time, this operation spread open three
Craftsman 10mm wrenches. THe Sears store warranted the first two, but
balked on the third since the shop was a commercial operation, and we
were "putting too much stress on the wrench".

A Proto wrench solved the problem.

Jim Hall
520 EXC and others
turning Money into Noise...

Tim Harrell

Feb 26, 2003, 3:32:07 PM2/26/03

Yeah, but those are EXPENSIVE replacement parts they are sending you for
free...

Tim H.
I like Euro bikes

MX Tuner

Feb 26, 2003, 6:08:17 PM2/26/03
On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:04:54 GMT, je...@att.nospam.net (jeb) spewed
forth:

>KTM did the same when I blew the cam bearing out of my 01 400EXC. I couldn't
>believe they initiated the contact. Sure a nice feeling, though.

That *is* bordering on amazing. My hat's off to them.

MX Tuner

Brian Jahelka

Feb 26, 2003, 7:09:59 PM2/26/03
> That was about 10 am. Jay just called and told me KTM contacted HIM
> about 10 minutes after I left. They want to do whatever necessary to
> rectify the situation immediately. Parts are ordered and on the way
> ASAP, including a new set of case halves, both sprockets, slave
> cylinder and credit for a new chain.

I hope you get your case halves faster than I did!!! That doesn't seem to
be a part they keep 'lying around' in any warehouses. I think it was 5+
weeks before mine came in. Other than the wait, KTM was on top of getting
me back up and running after my little tranny lock up.

Purdy Boy

PS Glad to hear the surgery went OK. And I'll agree with Darin, I hope I
quit before that ever happens to me...

Taylor

Feb 28, 2003, 11:36:59 PM2/28/03
The internet probably deserves the credit for the product support more than
KTM , no company likes their products to look bad to the riding public. I
sold my last KTM over 3 years ago and don`t plan another one and it isn`t
because they stood behind the fried ignitions , broken center cases , broken
kickstarters , broken idler gears , broken kickstart gears or the leaking
crank seals and water pump seals.

"Brian Jahelka" <jah...@sunflower.com> wrote in message

TomP

Mar 1, 2003, 11:25:16 AM3/1/03
The picture of the failed chain suggests this was not a JRA
(just riding along) failure, of a correctly adjusted chain, to me. But,
what the heck, all's well that ends well... Can you say Good Will?

IdaSpode wrote:

--

Tp

Remember: "no law suit, ever fixed a moron."