Star Trek Models - Scales?

Jpattern

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

Seems like someone a while back posted about the relative scales of the
various Star Trek models on the market, including some resins and vacs. Is
that information available on the Web somewhere, or could someone re-post
it here? Thanks. Jeff

Jack Smith

Mar 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/28/97

In article <19970327215...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

The following is the SCALES I captured from the last post. I sure hope this
doesn't break up so bad you can't read it...

Jack

==================================

This is a summary of some ST kit scales based on personal evaluation and
published values in SF kit lists by people like Mat Irvine.

TOS Enterprise: 1/635, approx. (18" = 947 feet)
TOS Klingon BC: 1/635
TOS Romulan Bird of Prey: ?? -- There's some argument as to the size of the
"real" ship. Could be 1/635.
TOS Shuttlecraft: MI quotes scale as 1/35. Measurements based on interior
give a scale more like 1/48.
TOS Space Station K-7: MI calculates that scale is 1/7600, based on length of
tiny Enterprise included in kit.
TOS "Space Ship Set" (Enterprise, Klingon BC and Rom BoP): MI quotes 1/2200,
but that seems too small.

TFS Enterprise [-A]: 1/545 (22" = 1000 feet)
TFS Klingon BC: 1/635 (same size as TOS ship, but different moulds)
TFS Vulcan Shuttle: ??
USS Reliant: Said to be in scale with Enterprise-A, thus 1/545.
USS Excelsior/Enterprise-B: Length of full-size ship not known, but 1/1100
seems to be the consensus value.

Enterprise-D: 1/1400 (18" = 2100 feet). Scale given on box.
TNG Klingon Attack Cruiser: 1/1400 (seems to be in scale with Ent-D)
TNG "Adversary Set" (Klingon BoP, Ferengi Marauder, Rom Warbird): Box quotes
all 3 at 1/3730, which seems okay for Ferengi; I didn't
think that the Warbird was as big as that scale implies
(4000+ feet), but the TNG Encyclopedia seems to confirm
this; BoP model seems too big for that scale, however.
3 Enterprise Set: Box quotes 1/2500.

DS9: Box quotes 1/2500, but model seems too small for that scale.
DS9 Runabout: Kit quotes 1/72.

Other ST models, although not exactly kits, are:
Task Force Games/Gamescience Miniatures: 1/3788 (3" = 947 feet)
FASA Miniatures: 1/3900
Galoob Enterprise: approx. 1/3900 (more or less in scale with both sets of
gamingh miniatures)
Micromachines: scales all over the place!
"We gotta get out into Space, | A sentiment endorsed by:
If it's the last thing we ever do!" | Phil Atcliffe
-- Return to the Forbidden Planet | (p_at...@uwe.ac.uk

While you're on the Web, check out the Millennium Falcon accessories at:

Spot's Rock:
http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~achine/

WolfMail

Mar 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/28/97

Try the Library at the Science Fiction Tangents page:

http://www.crocker.com/~rcaswell/sfhome.htm

-Brad
--
****************

"I did not believe the phrase 'bodies piled in heaps' until I saw the
battlefield yesterday"

-Captain Emory Upton after the Battle of Antietam

Ruediger Landmann

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

Jack Smith (ach...@utkux.utcc.utk.edu) wrote:

: TOS Shuttlecraft: MI quotes scale as 1/35. Measurements based on interior

: give a scale more like 1/48.

The problem here is of course that the studio mock-up had no interior..
the interior was a different set with wildly contradictory dimensions.

: TOS "Space Ship Set" (Enterprise, Klingon BC and Rom BoP): MI quotes 1/2200,

: but that seems too small.

Actually about 1/1600: close enough to the TNG Enterprise so that you
can't really eyeball the difference.

: TFS Enterprise [-A]: 1/545 (22" = 1000 feet)

Usually quoted at 1/537

: TFS Vulcan Shuttle: ??

Judging by the docking ring at the aft of the "upper stage", I'd say about
1/144

: USS Excelsior/Enterprise-B: Length of full-size ship not known, but 1/1100

: seems to be the consensus value.

Length is given as 467 m by the Okudas, so somewhere around 1/1000 -
1/1100 seems right.

: TNG "Adversary Set" (Klingon BoP, Ferengi Marauder, Rom Warbird): Box quotes

: all 3 at 1/3730, which seems okay for Ferengi; I didn't
: think that the Warbird was as big as that scale implies
: (4000+ feet), but the TNG Encyclopedia seems to confirm
: this; BoP model seems too big for that scale, however.

Given, of course, the rubbery dimensions of the BoP on screen... I guess
that this could represent one of the bigger TNG versions of the ship. But
yes, WAY too big for the one in TSFS.

The bigger, 10" BoP kit seems to be about scale with the E-A (about
1/537).

The cut-away TOS Enterprise is also to this scale.

I also think that the K't'inga is about 1/537 as well - the kit builds up
much bigger than the TOS Klingon cruiser kit.

DS9 is definitely smaller than 1/2500 as can be seen when comparing the
size of the E-D from the 3-Enterprise kit to the station. On this NG Rick
Sternbach has admitted that even the crew of the show hasn't firmly pegged
the size of the station yet. I believe that his last word so far was a
diameter of about 3500-4000 ft.

The Defiant's scale is still being hotly debated here and elsewhere.

I think the Voyager's around 1000 feet long, giving a scale of around
1/500-1/600 for the kit, but I haven't built this one yet.

As for micro machines, someone posted a list of scales not too long ago...
I'll try to dig it out.

Jack Bohn

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

s30...@student.uq.edu.au (Ruediger Landmann) wrote:

>The Defiant's scale is still being hotly debated here and elsewhere.

Well, Rick Sternbach has said it's 560 feet (170.6 meters) long by 320
feet (97.5 meters) wide and Four decks total, but that hasn't stopped
the debate (people are telling him it appears much smaller when flying
around ships of known size.)

>I think the Voyager's around 1000 feet long, giving a scale of around
>1/500-1/600 for the kit, but I haven't built this one yet.

Again, Rick said 1170' long (367m), episodes mention a 120m beam and
15 decks. (1/537, 1/537, please be 1/537!)

>As for micro machines, someone posted a list of scales not too long ago...

^^^^^^^

>I'll try to dig it out.

The phrase you're lookin for is "some obsessive-compulsive monomaniac"
(by the way, hello from rec.arts.startrek.tech)
Why dig it out when you can wait for me to post version 2.0 covering
the second collector's set? (This time I couldn't wait for them to
come to my local closeout store for $10, help, I'm getting worse!)

TOS
Enterprise Dia 127.1m 34mm 1: 3738
Galileo LOA 6.7m 41mm 1: 163
Botany Bay LOA 108 m 65mm 1: 1655 Way too big alongside E
Romulan LOA 76 m 37mm 1: 2054 See NOTE 1
LOA 136 m 37mm 1: 3676 See NOTE 2
Klingon LOA 260 m 70mm 1: 3714

TFS
Enterprise Dia 141.7m 38mm 1: 3773
Reliant " " 1: 3773
Vulcan Shutt LOA 49.7m 56mm 1: 888
Grissom LOA 150 m 61mm 1: 2460
Spacedock WOA 1060 m 42mm 1:25240 See NOTE 3
Excelsior Dia 186 m 32mm 1: 5812
K BoP LOA 88 m 45mm 1: 1956 See NOTE 4

TNG
Enterprise WOA 470 m 43mm 1:10930
The Saucer Sep and All Good Things versions are the same.
Shttl Berman LOA 6 m 37mm 1: 162
Stargazer WOA 140 m 37mm 1: 3780 See NOTE 5
Farragut WOA 470 m 50mm 1: 9400
Enterprise B WOA 186 m 32mm 1: 5812
Enterprise C LOA 526 m 61mm 1: 8620
Ferengi LOA 487.7m 40mm 1:12190 See NOTE 6
LOA 580 m 40mm 1:14500
Warbird LOA 1341 m 70mm 1:19160
LOA 455 m 70mm 1: 6500
Rom Scout LOA 88 m 53mm 1: 1660 See NOTE 7

DS9
Deep Space 9 Dia 1016 m 58mm 1:17520 See NOTE 8
Dia 1350 m 58mm 1:23275
Runabout WOA 14 m 25mm 1: 560
Defiant LOA 170.6m 56mm 1: 3046
WOA 97.5m 44mm 1: 2216
Hmmmm... perhaps if you heat the model and bend the side engine
thingies down (they have to be straight to come out of the mold)...

I don't have any figures for the "actual" size of the
Next Generation Klingon or the
Cardassian or the
Borg. I suspect the Borg cube should be even larger than DS9.

Or the K-7 or the
All Good Things Klingon (another amazing Klingon size-changer) or
the Pastuer, I suppose I could guess a height by counting decks, but I
haven't gotten around to it yet.

As before, the TOS ships and everything based on TFS Enterprise
Saucer are close enough. The two shuttlecraft are the same, something
I would not have guessed by looking at them. Yes, the Farragut (a
Nebula class ship) uses a visibly larger saucer than the E (Galaxy
class). What were they thinking?!?! Note that SpaceDock is even
larger than DS9 than a comparison of the MicroMachines would suggest
(and it is solid while DS9 is spidery).

The Botany Bay should match the E in the Classic 3-pak if you want to
do a diarama, and the Runabout is close to the movie E, Reliant, KBoP
and Hey! Voyager (see if it matches the Aerowing Shuttle on bottom!)

-Jack

NOTE 1 This length is from Mike McMaster blueprints.
Evidently based on comparing the 3-foot studio miniature with
the 11-foot Enterprise

NOTE 2 This is from FASA game source book. Based on ?giving the Roms
a bigger ship?

NOTE 3 Guesstimate based on the Excelsior barely fitting through the
doors (in the film, the Enterprise looks like a tight fit) One
appeared in TNG that was large enough to allow the Enterprise-D in.
Multiply scale by about 2.5 (if you assume the E-D barely fit through
the doors.)

NOTE 4 Length from FASA gamebook. This gives it a wingspan about the
size of the E's saucer (as seen in the movie)
The next generation of Klingons have a bigger Bird of Prey with
a wingspan about the size of the E-D's saucer

NOTE 5 The width should be larger (it is, after all a movie saucer
with an added rim.)

NOTE 6 The following two ships have two conflicting dimensions.
The first is from the "Adversaries" model kit box, the second
from FASA gamebook

NOTE 7 An assumption based on something in Shane Johnson's TNG Tech
Journal labelled "Ingress/Egress Hatch" being about 2m high.

NOTE 8 The first Diameter is from the model kit, the second from the
book _The Making of DS9_

Henry Chatroop

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

jack...@bright.net (Jack Bohn) writes:

>I don't have any figures for the "actual" size of the
>Next Generation Klingon or the
>Cardassian or the

In Issue 16 of the British magazine "Sci-Fi & Fantasy Models" there was an
article "The Making of the Cardassian Warship" on pages 24-27 (which
even includes some colour photos) by Ed Miarecki whose firm won the job to
create the model for DS9. The bit that directly relates to the above is
"... the model would be approximately three feet in length (in scale with
the four-foot Enterprise D) ..."

By the way - are there any plans to produce a model kit of the
Cardassian Warship?

Henry G. Chatroop hen...@zip.com.au
"Interested in the applications of technology - past, present, future
and proposed - especially unusual!"

WolfMail

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

Henry Chatroop wrote:

> By the way - are there any plans to produce a model kit of the
> Cardassian Warship?

AMT/Ertl will be releasing the Cardassian Galor this year. When I don't
know. Anybody with their 1997 catalog have the answer?

Jpattern

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

Thanks for all the responses! Now I just need to find the time to build
some of these. Jeff Moore

Roger Sorensen

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

> AMT/Ertl will be releasing the Cardassian Galor this year. When, I don't know. Anybody with their 1997 catalog have the answer?

Not from catalog, but from memory: the Galor's due out fall-ish. Only,
what, 4-5 years overdue?
--
Roger Sorensen / rsor...@csbsju.edu
http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~rsorense/modelcitizen

"Charracterrrr izza who you arrre inna de darrrk."
-Lord John Whorfin
-Buckaroo Banzai

MB1k

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

The latest issue of Cinefex has the Borg cube quoted as
"2-miles.."

--
"..tastes like chicken."

bruce burden

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

MB1k (11005...@CompuServe.COM) wrote:
: The latest issue of Cinefex has the Borg cube quoted as
: "2-miles.."
:
Having looked closely at various Trek ships, I think
I can safely say none of them have scales.

Bruce
Bruce Burden bru...@eden.com Austin, Tx.

"I like bad!"
-Thuganlitha
The Power and the Prophet

Steve Long

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97
While your at it, nag AMT to make the Galor-class a reasonable scale,
such as 1:1400 or about 12 inches long.

SL