MMP

kevi...@hotmail.com

Apr 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/4/98

What ever happned to Military Model Preview? I still have about 10 issues
coming to me.

KMartin512

Apr 5, 1998, 4:00:00 AM4/5/98

>Subject: MMP
>From: kevi...@hotmail.com
>Date: Sat, Apr 4, 1998 23:46 EST

>What ever happned to Military Model Preview? I still have about 10 issues
>coming to me.

You mean you HAD! ten issues coming to you. It's gone belly up and is now
rotting in the fishbowl life of bigtime publishing. But check out the cool 109
decals that have replaced it. Yes! The phoenix does exist.......
Happy modeling
Kevin Martin

Maiesm72

Apr 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/6/98

You been had, bro!

They ceaased publication, won't answer letters, phone calls or telegrams and
have left their paid up subscribers in the lurch.

What's this about 109 decals? Is the same guy doing business under another
name?

Tom

KMartin512

Apr 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/6/98

>Subject: Re: MMP
>From: maie...@aol.com (Maiesm72)
>Date: Mon, Apr 6, 1998 15:33 EDT
>

>What's this about 109 decals? Is the same guy doing business under another
>name?
>
>Tom

BINGO! Not sure of the exact name, but have seen it mentioned here before.

Dan Salamone

Apr 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/6/98
to Maiesm72

Maiesm72 wrote:
> You been had, bro!
> They ceaased publication, won't answer letters, phone calls or telegrams and
> have left their paid up subscribers in the lurch.
>
> What's this about 109 decals? Is the same guy doing business under another
> name?
>
> Tom
Tom,
His name is Ken Rasnick, and yes, he still puts out decals, a whole
bunch of new sets this past month.Third Group Decals, BTW.
Dan

Jennings Heilig

Apr 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/6/98
to KMartin512

KMartin512 wrote:

> >Subject: Re: MMP
> >From: maie...@aol.com (Maiesm72)
> >Date: Mon, Apr 6, 1998 15:33 EDT
> >

> >What's this about 109 decals? Is the same guy doing business under another
> >name?
> >
> >Tom
> >

> BINGO! Not sure of the exact name, but have seen it mentioned here before.

Third Gruppe Decals. To paraphrase Bill Shakespeare, "A scheister by any
other name would still smell as rotten"...

Jennings

Dave Williams

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

Jennings Heilig wrote:

> Third Gruppe Decals. To paraphrase Bill Shakespeare, "A scheister by any
> other name would still smell as rotten"...

Actually, it's Third Group, unless he changed the name for his latest
set of decals. Fortunately, I was able to get my hands on their A-1H
and AD-6 sheets, which come in handy for the Tamiya Skyraider
(especially since Aeromaster badly botched the VA-176 MiG killer on
their new sheet).

Agree about him being a shyster, though. Still owes me about 10 or 11
issues of MMP. Hated to put more money in his pocket by buying the
decals, but I wanted the markings real bad. Bastard!

Suvoroff

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

"You been had, bro! They ceaased publication, won't answer letters, phone
calls or telegrams and have left their paid up subscribers in the lurch."

I called MMP up on the phone (yes, it took about twenty tries) and talked to
the owner, he made up the remaining 11 issues of my subscription in backissues,
which actually did arrive. He said all subscribers would be contacted
eventually and offered their money back, but of course that is just what he
said. Anyway, I at least was treated fairly.

Yours,
A.V. Suvoroff

DonSS3

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

Well,
Maybe we could get our money's worth for MMP subscriptions by getting the
equivalant dollar value of new decals...
Don

According to Hemingway:
"There are only three true sports; Auto Racing, Bullfighting and Mountain
climbing. All the rest are children's games at which men play."

ModelerAl

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

In article <199804071156...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, suvo...@aol.com
(Suvoroff) writes:

>I called MMP up on the phone (yes, it took about twenty tries) and talked
the owner, he made up the remaining 11 issues of my subscription in
>backissues,
which actually did arrive. He said all subscribers would be
>contacted
eventually and offered their money back

Interesting. How recently did this conversation take place?
Al Superczynski, MFE
IPMS/USA #3795, continuous since 1968

Check out my want and disposal lists at "Al's Place":
http://users.aol.com/modeleral

"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to,
and the critics will flame you every time."

Maiesm72

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

Chris B.

If you are following this thread, does this guy have a table at the Nats?

If he does there are all kinds of people who would like to speak with him,
including me.

Tom Young

Suvoroff

Apr 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/8/98

About two months.

Yours,
A.V. Suvoroff

MIKE AND LAURIE WEST

Apr 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/8/98

In <199804072318...@ladder01.news.aol.com> maie...@aol.com

I would think that if he has switched horses and is still in business
then he should or could pay back what he owes all of you. Unless maybe
his magazine filed a Chapter 7.

Mike West/Lone Star Models

ModelerAl

Apr 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/8/98

In article <6gfns3$1...@dfw-ixnews11.ix.netcom.com>, lsmo...@ix.netcom.com(MIKE
AND LAURIE WEST) writes:

>I would think that if he has switched horses and is still in business
then he
>should or could pay back what he owes all of you.

Where does the line form up? I'm one of the suckers, er, victims...

KMartin512

Apr 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/8/98

I think this whole thing about MMP is very unfortunate. At the Albuquerque IPMS
Nationals in '95 I and a couple of friends had the pleasure of dinning out with
Ken Rasnick two out of three nights. I have to tell all that you would be hard
pressed to find a nicer person then he. A very interesting guest to have in our
company on those two warm, beautiful evenings in the southwest. Course, being
from Chicago we couldn't stand the thought of anything hotter then Taco Bell,
so we ate Italian everynight. So it disturbs me to see where things have gone
in the last two and a half years. I hate seeing someone as likable and
respected in the hobby become a pariah. I hope he finds his focus someday, and
we can all forget this.
Kevin Martin

Charles Metz

Apr 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/9/98
to KMartin512

I hope so too, Kevin. However, I can't help but feel that if Mr.
Rasnick ends up as a pariah, he'll have earned the designation through
his unwillingness to be forthright with his subscribers. Everyone with
whom I've discussed this matter understands that business ventures can
go bad despite good intentions, and they say that they wouldn't have
minded losing a few bucks if Mr. Rasnick had simply been candid about
MMP's failure and had apologized for his inability to fulfill his
obligations. However, letting MMP disappear without a word and then
marketing decals under another company name smells bad, at best. In my
profession, we understand that it's important to avoid not only
conflicts of interest, but even the *appearance* of a conflict of
interest. Mr. Rasnick doesn't seem grasp that fact of life,
unfortunately.

Charles Metz

Phil Brandt

Apr 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/9/98

On 8 Apr 1998 23:04:26 GMT, kmart...@aol.com (KMartin512) wrote:

> So it disturbs me to see where things have gone

>in the last two and a half years. I hate seeing someone...... in the hobby become a pariah. I hope he finds his focus someday, and

>we can all forget this.

Kevin,

You could have done some of we rms'ers a favor by copying Meteor's
Dave Klaus on your MMP post; there is strong meaning in it for him.

Phil Brandt
IPMS 14091

ModelerAl

Apr 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/9/98

In article <199804082304...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
kmart...@aol.com (KMartin512) writes:

>I hope he finds his focus someday, and
we can all forget this.

I'll forget it as soon as I get some compensation for the remaining issues
due on my MMP subscription. I don't care how *nice* he is, in my book he's
just another crook...

TrHoch

Apr 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/16/98

I'VE BEEN WONDERING THE SAME THING FOR
ALMOST A YEAR NOW.I HAVE EVERY ISSUE EXCEPT THE VERY FIRST.IT APPEARS THEY WENT
UNDER.
THIS IS TOO BAD BUT I LIKED THEM BETTER AT
THE BEGINNING WHEN IT WAS JUST AIRCRAFT
MODELS THEY REVIEWED.FOR AIRCRAFT MODELERS
I'VE FOUND ANOTHER MAGAZINE WHICH IS EXCELLENT.IT'S FROM ENGLAND CALLED SCALE
AVIATION MODELER.IF YOU CAN GET IT IT'S WORTH
IT.
HAPPY MODELING

Bossarnold

Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98

DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF MILITARY MODEL PREVIEW
IS STILL IN BUSINESS?IT APPEARS THAT THEIR SPIN-OFF
THIRD GROUP DECALS IS AROUND SO WHAT EVER HAPPENED
TO THE MAGAZINE? I BELIEVE THEY OWE THEIR SUBSCRIBERS
ISSUES.

KMartin512

Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98

>HTML><PRE>Subject: MMP
>From: bossa...@aol.com (Bossarnold)
>Date: Fri, Apr 24, 1998 10:09 EDT
The mag is belly up. We really need a FAQ on this subject as often as it comes
up. Charlie Metz! We need you............
Kevin Martin

Vaughn E. Nelson

Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98

Bossarnold wrote:

DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF MILITARY MODEL PREVIEW
IS STILL IN BUSINESS?IT APPEARS THAT THEIR SPIN-OFF
THIRD GROUP DECALS IS AROUND SO WHAT EVER HAPPENED
TO THE MAGAZINE? I BELIEVE THEY OWE THEIR SUBSCRIBERS
ISSUES.

I spoke to the editor/publisher/owner last week. The information that I received is there were two more issues of MMP ready to print, but printing costs have far exceeded the budget. Therefore, MMP will no longer be published. For those of us who have subscriptions a letter will be coming shortly, or so I was promised, offering three options. These options are 1: your money back for the unfilled part of your subscription; 2: Back Issues and / or Third Group Decals to replace the subscriptions due and; 3: A combination of 1 and 2 above.

I was told that this offer would be in the hands of the current subscribers near the end of April ( this year ), or very early May.

Some may ask how I managed to get a return call from the owner / editor. Well....... I find that I have approximately $102 in subscriptions due. I have also felt that some of the subscription money may have been used to start and fund Third Group Decals, which may have been a little illegal or at least unethical. I left a message on the Three Geese Publishing answering machine that I was considering contacting the State Attorney General with my concerns. This brought a response within 3 - 4 days.

If I don't receive the promised offer, I will contact both the State Attorney General and the State Better Business Bureau.

Hope this answers the MMP concerns.

Vaughn Nelson
IPMS USA #2466

MIKE AND LAURIE WEST

Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98

In <199804241409...@ladder01.news.aol.com> bossa...@aol.com

(Bossarnold) writes:

>DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF MILITARY MODEL PREVIEW
>IS STILL IN BUSINESS?IT APPEARS THAT THEIR SPIN-OFF
>THIRD GROUP DECALS IS AROUND SO WHAT EVER HAPPENED
>TO THE MAGAZINE? I BELIEVE THEY OWE THEIR SUBSCRIBERS
>ISSUES.

MMP round THREE!!! We ran this into the ground a few weeks ago. If
They( Third Group Decals ) are still in business then If they owed me
money I would contact them and demand it be repayed.

Mike West/Lone Star Models

MIKE AND LAURIE WEST

Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98

In <3540B8E4...@thorin.atsc.allied.com> "Vaughn E. Nelson"
<nel...@thorin.atsc.allied.com> writes:

>--------------ED616E16A6394816FAD8E2BA

>Bossarnold wrote:
>
>> DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF MILITARY MODEL PREVIEW
>> IS STILL IN BUSINESS?IT APPEARS THAT THEIR SPIN-OFF
>> THIRD GROUP DECALS IS AROUND SO WHAT EVER HAPPENED
>> TO THE MAGAZINE? I BELIEVE THEY OWE THEIR SUBSCRIBERS
>> ISSUES.
>
>--------------ED616E16A6394816FAD8E2BA
>
><HTML>
>&nbsp;
>
><P>Bossarnold wrote:
><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF MILITARY MODEL PREVIEW
><BR>IS STILL IN BUSINESS?IT APPEARS THAT THEIR SPIN-OFF
><BR>THIRD GROUP DECALS IS AROUND SO WHAT EVER HAPPENED
><BR>TO THE MAGAZINE? I BELIEVE THEY OWE THEIR SUBSCRIBERS
><BR>ISSUES.</BLOCKQUOTE>

>I spoke to the editor/publisher/owner last week. The information that
>received is there were two more issues of MMP ready to print, but
printing
>costs have far exceeded the budget. <B><U>Therefore, MMP will no
longer
>be published.</U></B> For those of us who have subscriptions a letter

will
>be coming shortly, or so I was promised, offering three options. These
>options are 1: your money back for the unfilled part of your
subscription;
>2: Back Issues and / or Third Group Decals to replace the
subscriptions
>due and; 3: A combination of 1 and 2 above.
>
><P>I was told that this offer would be in the hands of the current

subscribers
>near the end of April ( this year ), or very early May.
>
><P>Some may ask how I managed to get a return call from the owner /

editor.
>Well....... I find that I have approximately $102 in subscriptions
due.
>I have also felt that some of the subscription money may have been
used
>to start and fund Third Group Decals, which may have been a little
illegal
>or at least unethical. I left a message on the Three Geese Publishing
answering
>machine that I was considering contacting the State Attorney General
with
>my concerns. This brought a response within 3 - 4 days.
>
><P>If I don't receive the promised offer, I will contact both the

State
>Attorney General and the State Better Business Bureau.
>
><P>Hope this answers the MMP concerns.
><BR>&nbsp;
>
><P>Vaughn Nelson
><BR>IPMS USA #2466
><BR>&nbsp;</HTML>
>
>--------------ED616E16A6394816FAD8E2BA--

The goings on here may have also violated some Federal laws, like
Mail Fraud? You might try calling your local Postmaster and ask about
it as well.

Mike West/Lone Star Models

SJantscher

Apr 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/26/98

Last month, in anticipation of the Tamiya A-1 release I sent a short e-mail
to Three Geese asking if any of their A-1 decal sets were still available. I
received a reply within a couple of days, and the owner said he checked and
found my name amoung the subscribers who had issues of MMP remaining. He then
said the same thing about resolving the matter with a combination of decals and
or refunds for issues not sent.
Publications fold, and quite often subscribers are left in the cold.
Remember the magazine Aerophile? A pretty neat mag, that took about 80% of my
subscription and the money I paid for it. Now those same guys (Mr. Miller et
al) are happily printing AeroFaxes etc. Did we crucify him? I say we let Ken
alone, and see if he can repair some of the hard feelings engendered by his
business failure.
Steve Jantscher

Maiesm72

Apr 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/27/98

Pardon me, but Aerophile folded many, many years before the internet existed.
Remember Golden Eagle Society? Ditto. Modeler's Journal? Ditto. Scale Aircraft
Modeler? Ditto.

The biggest difference is that MMP was a very high priced publication and that
his failure to respond to his subscribers attempts made it onto this news
group.

Collecting Toys just folded. Received a letter announcing the demise along with
an accounting of what I was owed. They offered back issues, credit to other
magazines in their group or refund. I took back issues, adding money to the
order, and now have an entire set.

If MMP contacts me about issues owed on my subscription I will do the same
thing. I had a little magazine a couple of decades back and when it folded I
sent letters to every subscriber offering a refund or choice of an MAI kit. I
don't know why, but only a few people replied. I would have thought that the
subscribers would have wanted a refund (only a couple of dollars were left on
each subscription).

I hope that the MMP problem resolves in everybody's favor. Are there any 1/72
scale decals in their line?

Tom Young

Charles Metz

Apr 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/27/98
to Maiesm72

Maiesm72 wrote:

> Pardon me, but Aerophile folded many, many years before the internet
> existed. Remember Golden Eagle Society? Ditto.
--snip--

I, for one, haven't forgotten the Golden Eagle Society, the name of the
guy who ran it, or the money I lost in it.

Biting my tounge to avoid saying something ungentlemanly,

Charles Metz