Juggling Combat Tournament - How to?

josephmcginley

Mar 23, 2006, 1:04:20 PM3/23/06
I love a game of gladiators with lots of jugglers, but I prefer to play
1-on-1 combat.
Gladiators can happen spontaneously and can grow into a big game (often to
the chagrin of other conventioneers who were practicing something else in
space which gets engulfed by the game of gladiators) where lots of people
have lots of fun, without any organisation required

There are many ways to organise a big 1-on-1 combat competition:
knockout/league/king-of-the-hill...

What would be the best format for a 1-on-1 combat competition which would
encompass some of the following positive traits of the traditional
gladitorial melee?
- People can join and leave the game freely
- Small organisational overhead
- Low level of education needed to play (few rules to learn)
- People don't have to stand around for a long time between games

The following traits might be nice to have:
- People of similar abilities get to play each other (i.e. I don't have
to fight Jay Gilligan, and he doesn't have to fight me)

Are the desirable traits above really desirable?
Am I missing anything?
Any ideas about how to organise this?
Is there any equivalent in martial arts, fencing[0], or other sports?
Do you find 1-on-1 combat intolerably boring?
Do you hate it when a thoughtless sweaty neverthriving stampedes on your
poi workshop?

Joseph

(my hotmail address is a dud - substitute it with gmail)

[0] Is fencing a martial art?

Leeroy

Mar 23, 2006, 1:51:22 PM3/23/06
We had a 1 on 1 combat tournament on our last years local juggling
convention here in Rostock, Germany. It was really funny... We were only
10 players so we made two groups. The first two in each group advanced to
the semi-finals and fought cross over. Each match was a best of
three...one of the finalists was Markus Furtner...
If you have a big variation in skill between the competitors you may:
1. put the strong players in one group or in K.O. system on the same half
of the board or
2. if you have groups you may set one or two good players in each group if
you want finals of high skilled people.
I'm not really sure what is better. I for myself am not good in combat but
I really like to see high skill duells. :)
The point, that combat has not many rules is antother aspect which raises
the fun factor. Games are always more fun if you don't have to complain
about the rules all the time.

mfg andi

Jay Linn

Mar 23, 2006, 2:27:50 PM3/23/06
Leeroy wrote:

<snip>

> Games are always more fun if you don't have to complain
> about the rules all the time.

That one sentence goes a very long way to describing why the WJF so
polarises opinion. Some people love rules, whilst others love
simplicity, and the two do not easily overlap.

--
Jay Linn

Yodaese makes my head hurt. Wise it sounds is meant to. But bollocks in
a different order it is.