Annoying mind block...advice, please

Unknown

Jun 21, 2006, 8:09:01 PM6/21/06
I just learned to juggle a few weeks ago.

I've only done the 3-ball cascade, and yesterday I added an
over-the-top from right to left. It only took about 5-10 minutes
before I could do it consistently.

But I can't do it left-to-right! No matter how much I break it down
and try and try, something is blocking me.

Any tips?

Hydrophidian

Jun 21, 2006, 8:30:43 PM6/21/06

try learning the reverse cascade. doing an over the top throw one
direction every throw with that hand is essentially doing half of the
reverse cascade. Maybe what you need to overcome the block is to teach
the weaker hand to do as the stronger does. Just try learning the
reverse cascade and when you get stronger with it, try over the top
with the weaker hand only. I also find it helpfull to try some other
tricks instead of just focusing on the one. try these links
http://homepage.mac.com/abramr/juggling/tutorial/category/
http://www.jongleringsoasen.se/aquarium/fvideos.html
http://www.kingscascade.com/
http://www.jugglingdb.com/
these sites all have nice tutorials and good ideas for beginner and
intermediate jugglers.
The

Good luck, and welcome to the world of juggling.

Brian lindau

Jun 21, 2006, 8:38:17 PM6/21/06
Break it down.
Start with one ball in each hand.
Throw a normal throw from your right hand towards your left.
As it peaks throw an over the top throw from your left hand to your right.
The balls should now have swapped places.
Repeat 100 times.
Now try it.

If your ever struggling with a trick break it down into the smallest
possible pieces.

Brian
<Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com> wrote in message

Unknown

Jun 21, 2006, 8:39:52 PM6/21/06

> http://homepage.mac.com/abramr/juggling/tutorial/category/

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Actually, the above link has been my go-to site for learning to
juggle, and it says "Before learning the reverse cascade, learn over
the top, tennis and the half shower."

That's why I was trying to do over-the-top as my next step beyond
cascade.

But I will take your advice, and also check those other sites.

I think I'm addicted.

I'm still using the leather beanbags...what kind of balls should I be
using? What are "juggling balls" made of?

Hydrophidian

Jun 21, 2006, 9:18:59 PM6/21/06
some people prefer bean bags(I do)
I get mine from my buddy John Nord in Texas. He makes them all himself
and they are durable as hell.
http://www.jugglingthingies.homestead.com/files/index.htm

Kelhoon

Jun 21, 2006, 9:45:51 PM6/21/06

As per Brian, do what you did to learn the cascade but with over the top
throws from both hands instead of 'normal' throws. After you get tennis,
half shower, reverse, learn the shower in both directions. Then learn
under the arm throws, then learn Mills Mess and be really impressed with
yourself.

Leather bean bags sound like perfectly good "juggling balls" for a
beginner.

Don't worry, after you've been juggling for a while, you'll amass a fine
collection of props and toys.

Welcome to the global neverthriving.

Juggle on,

Kelhoon

MBorel

Jun 22, 2006, 12:54:29 AM6/22/06

I agree with you on this one -- I've had a set of Nord balls for years and
they've managed to stay in perfect condition despite lots of abuse. If
you're looking for some long term juggling props I'd definitly recommed
Nord.

Jani Kyllönen

Jun 22, 2006, 4:52:14 AM6/22/06

You live near Helsinki?

I have this fantastic method for teaching juggling. It involves
testicles and electrodes. BZZZZZT!

Think about that next time you miss the trick.

jani

Little Paul

Jun 22, 2006, 5:57:09 AM6/22/06
On 2006-06-22, Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com <> wrote:

> Actually, the above link has been my go-to site for learning to
> juggle, and it says "Before learning the reverse cascade, learn over
> the top, tennis and the half shower."
>
> That's why I was trying to do over-the-top as my next step beyond
> cascade.

Some people find that skipping the "continuous over the top from the
weak hand" stage, and going straight to tennis helps.

I think the theory is similar to that which I used when learning to pass
on three count (which you don't need to worry about, but I'll explain
anyway :-)

When passing on three count, the pass that comes in and lands in your
left hand is the same club that you then throw as a pass.

Translated into tennis this is:

The ball that goes over the top of the pattern and lands in your left
hand, is the one that you throw back over the top again.

It sounds stupid, it sounds obvious, it sounds like it wouldn't make a
blind bit of diference. But I've found that it helps you to think about
the "special throws" (be they over-the-top or a pass) and let the rest
of the pattern drift lower down in your attention.

But juggling is a very personal thing, and what works for some people
doesn't work at all for others. The best advice is to try *every*
technique you're offered, eventually you'll find the one that works for
you :-)

> I think I'm addicted.

That's not an uncommon reaction ;-)

> I'm still using the leather beanbags...what kind of balls should I be
> using? What are "juggling balls" made of?

Juggling balls are made out of many diferent materials, it's all
personal preference really.

If you're worried that you're not learning with something optimal, then
pop on over to http://www.jugglingdb.com/vendors/ and find a vendor near
you. Phone them up, send them an email, and they'll point you in the
direction of some good, cheap juggling balls which will be perfect for
learning to juggle with!

-Paul

popstar_dave

Jun 22, 2006, 10:56:48 AM6/22/06

Oh... have you got them in a 38D, and an extension cord that'll reach to
Australia? No? Oh. We'll, I'll try something else, then.

Dave

Guy G

Jun 22, 2006, 11:36:48 AM6/22/06

Enjoys torturing busty ladies, or just a lonely chap with gigantic
testicles? You decide.

dagonet

Jun 23, 2006, 10:54:00 PM6/23/06

Don't forget:
http://www.twjc.co.uk/

It has some of my favorite tutorials for all levels of three ball tricks.
That's what I learned my first ones from.

-Andy

Unknown

Jun 25, 2006, 2:19:50 PM6/25/06
All right! Thanks to the tips here, I can now do Tennis.

How am I doing for 3 1/2 weeks?