Throwing higher

ChaseMartin

Jun 8, 2009, 12:59:09 AM6/8/09
It probably sounds like a silly question, but does anyone have some tips
on how to throw higher while staying relaxed? I recently tried reaching
down more on each throw and having a shorter follow through and that
helped to make the high throws feel a bit better, but I still have a hard
time chucking anything higher than an 'a' or so without feeling seriously
jerky and rushed.

I spend most of my practices working on 5 ball siteswaps with throws of 8
or lower, and hardly ever work on 6 or 7 ball stuff (maybe 10 minutes a
session.) I also really suck at endurance even though I'm pretty strong.

Here's an old video if you want to get an idea of what my form looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot_Pe7c8fIg

Thanks for the help!

-chase

irockaf...@hotmail.com

Jun 8, 2009, 2:06:31 AM6/8/09
This may sound like a silly answer, but breathe. Focus on breathing
evenly even during your hardest tricks/numbers, the breathing will
help you relax a great deal.

Focus on your body before you start the trick/pattern, notice which
parts of you are tensing unnecessarily as you begin, focus on relaxing
those parts.

Don't think so much. I find that I begin to tense up more when I am
consciously telling myself what to do, how to do it, etc, etc. I don't
need an inner narrative distracting attention from my body.

A few random suggestions: Read "The Inner Game of Tennis." Apply it to
juggling.
Also, if you're a college student, see if there is a Laban movement
course offered (most likely through the theater or music departments).
You'll do a lot of strange rolling on the floor and whatnot, but my 7
balls finally becoming comfortable (after 3+ years of struggle) is
mainly due to taking a Laban class.

Good luck!

Peter Bone

Jun 8, 2009, 4:04:07 AM6/8/09
ChaseMartin wrote:

> It probably sounds like a silly question, but does anyone have some tips
> on how to throw higher while staying relaxed?

Try throwing more from the fingers. Also, throw the preceding throws
higher to give yourself more time for the high throw/s.
Pete

Emman

Jun 8, 2009, 9:55:27 AM6/8/09

How's your mouth? :)

Emman

Matthew Tiffany

Jun 8, 2009, 10:42:42 AM6/8/09

want a workshop on technique at the bjc????
get in touch
tiff

Emman

Jun 8, 2009, 10:51:38 AM6/8/09

I'm sure he would love one at the IJA!

Emman

janjongleer

Jun 8, 2009, 11:39:47 AM6/8/09

Don't think so much. I find that I begin to tense up more when I am
consciously telling myself what to do, how to do it, etc, etc. I don't
need an inner narrative distracting attention from my body.

I really love wath you say here Emman. And above all; it's true :)
When i practised juggling while i begun my mind was busier then my
hands-->double
work. What you write here is true for much things, i think for life in
general.
Thanks for reminding me :)

We are not the storyteller or the story; we are the space where it appears
in

irockaf...@hotmail.com

Jun 8, 2009, 1:44:56 PM6/8/09
On Jun 8, 8:55 am, emma...@gmail.com.nospam.com (Emman) wrote:

> How's your mouth? :)
>
> Emman
>
> --

:-O

(Probably)

Matthew Tiffany

Jun 8, 2009, 3:13:33 PM6/8/09

well, when the INTERNATIONAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! juggling association comes
to the uk ill be more than happy to, or alternatively when the ija decide
to buy me a plane to ticket to what lots of americans considor the entire
world (the USA) ill come and do a workshop then too.

no rascism there by the way, it was an american who 1st made me aware how
insular america is.
tiff

Emman

Jun 8, 2009, 4:12:10 PM6/8/09

I fully understand you. Was just saying, I doubt Chase is planning on
going to the BJC. I know he'll be at IJA since it's like 1 hour from where
he lives, that's all I meant.

Emman

Matthew Tiffany

Jun 8, 2009, 4:53:11 PM6/8/09

lucky, lucky guy, i would give anything (excluding all things required to
juggle) to see jay aberg peden and the other one do that show, i bet it
will be AMAZING!

have fun!

however.... the bjc is absolutly unbelievably amazing! we should both make
the time to go to the other one at some point!

tiff
xx

Matt Hall

Jun 8, 2009, 6:23:18 PM6/8/09
On Jun 8, 1:53 pm, tiffty...@hotmail.com.nospam.com (Matthew Tiffany)
wrote:

> lucky, lucky guy, i would give anything (excluding all things required to
> juggle) to see jay aberg peden and the other one do that show, i bet it
> will be AMAZING!
>
> have fun!
>
> however.... the bjc is absolutly unbelievably amazing! we should both make
> the time to go to the other one at some point!
>
> tiff
> xx

Dear Tiff-san,

If I had my way, you'd definitely get invited. Keep performing like
you did at the last BJC, and if/when I ever organize the whole IJA
thang, you'll be on my list! =) I think you'd have yourself a jolly
ol' time here in the insular U.S.A. =) I've been to two BJC's as
an invited guest (thanks for that again...quite nice of you Brits...),
and the BJC is amazing. I think this summer's IJA, with its line-up
of guests, is going to be quite good as well. I know I'm working my
bullocks off to make the workshops line-up sparkle and shine.

peace brother,

matt

ChaseMartin

Jun 8, 2009, 10:06:45 PM6/8/09

I hope to make it to a BJC as well -- maybe on a year when the IJA is way
out west I'll just go the other way instead :)

ChaseMartin

Jun 8, 2009, 10:16:15 PM6/8/09

Matt, I'd still like to teach/help with a siteswap workshop of some sort
if you've got room for me. Last year I taught about 12 people siteswap
just from the questions they were asking me in the gym.

Just food for thought -- I know there are a million other great things to
have workshops for as well, and I'm sure they're gonna rock come july!

ChaseMartin

Jun 8, 2009, 10:19:29 PM6/8/09

I'm not gonna lie, my gut reaction to this is "you've gotta be kidding me"

But I think your juggling speaks for itself, so I'll gladly give this
stuff a try. See if I can find that book tomorrow.

I think some of the ideas here might be spot on. I am often pretty tense
and focused on exactly where I want each throw to go. I rarely just let
the pattern fly without giving it much thought.

ChaseMartin

Jun 8, 2009, 10:19:47 PM6/8/09
Peter Bone wrote:

> ChaseMartin wrote:
> >
> > It probably sounds like a silly question, but does anyone have some tips
> > on how to throw higher while staying relaxed?
>
> Try throwing more from the fingers. Also, throw the preceding throws
> higher to give yourself more time for the high throw/s.
> Pete

Thanks for the tip!

Matt Hall

Jun 9, 2009, 12:43:28 AM6/9/09
On Jun 8, 7:16 pm, cha...@email.unc.edu.nospam.com (ChaseMartin)
wrote:

> Matt, I'd still like to teach/help with a siteswap workshop of some sort
> if you've got room for me. Last year I taught about 12 people siteswap
> just from the questions they were asking me in the gym.
>
> Just food for thought -- I know there are a million other great things to
> have workshops for as well, and I'm sure they're gonna rock come july!
>
> --

Dear Chase,

Write me an e-mail at juggle_senseiAThotmailDOTcom and we'll make it
happen! Thanks for volunteering. Greg Phillips has moved to Toulouse
France and his Siteswap 101 workshop needs a new instructor. Let's
talk!!

matt

TK

Jun 9, 2009, 8:59:29 AM6/9/09
I also recommend "Inner Tennis: Playing the Game". Both are by the same
author (W. Timothy Gallwey) and available used at Amazon - alternately
most libraries have an exchange program allowing them to order books on
a temp basis. The older you are when you are trying to improve, the
harder it is to break the mental limits you have set. My physical
limits are much more rigidly set by my mind than my grandson's limits.
One of my dad's favorite expressions was "It is amazing what you can do
if you aren't smart enough to know you can't do it."

I read a few pages of alternating books each morning. When I finish
"Inner Tennis: Playing the Game", I start on "The Inner Game of Tennis"
or "Healing Back Pain". My theory is that I have so many years of
reinforcing my limits that it takes a lot more work to break down the
barriers I have erected.

Saturday I broke through a couple of barriers. I have worked (off and
on) for some time toward juggling while hula hooping - 30 catches
Saturday. What to me is much more impressive is learning to spin a
plate left-handed. This was the first time I ever tried to spin one
with the left hand. Before learning to juggle I was not just
right-handed, I virtually did not have a left hand.

--
TK
http://wejuggle2.com/

chasemartin

Jun 9, 2009, 11:15:20 AM6/9/09

Sounds like juggling has made you a lot more open to uncomfortable stuff!
I always find it funny when basketball announcers make a huge deal out of
people using their left hand like it's superhuman or something. You can't
even tell which hand is dominant on jugglers until they do a shower!

Felix Feldmann

Jun 9, 2009, 12:57:32 PM6/9/09

Throw the high throw a little bit later which means expand your dwell time
before your throw a little bit (cold potatoe).

irockaf...@hotmail.com

Jun 9, 2009, 1:22:10 PM6/9/09
On Jun 8, 9:19 pm, cha...@email.unc.edu.nospam.com (ChaseMartin)
wrote:

> I'm not gonna lie, my gut reaction to this is "you've gotta be kidding me"
>
> But I think your juggling speaks for itself, so I'll gladly give this
> stuff a try. See if I can find that book tomorrow.
>
> I think some of the ideas here might be spot on. I am often pretty tense
> and focused on exactly where I want each throw to go. I rarely just let
> the pattern fly without giving it much thought.
>
> --

Sorry, instead of "don't think so much," I should have said "think
differently." I used to verbally tell myself what do while I was
juggling (in my head, of course. I'd prefer not to seem crazy). The
problem with this is that when I told myself verbally, I was paying
less attention to my body. So, even when I was performing well, I
wasn't getting the feel of the pattern, I wasn't paying enough
attention to my body.

The way I see it, using the language portion of my brain isn't going
to help with a task that is wholly physical*, I needed to think in a
different way, a way that relates better to the task at hand. So,
instead of telling myself what to do before I juggle 7 balls, I chose
to visualize the pattern as I see it and to feel where I want my arm
positioning. Then, during the juggle, I don't focus on the pattern as
much as on how my body is feeling. The pattern is there purely to show
me whether my body is acting correctly or not. My mind's eye should be
on my body, not the pattern.

Here is an article by Steven Ragatz that is a better phrased version
of basically what I have said:
http://www.jugglingdb.com/compendium/skills/training/visualisation/visualization.html

Also, I should note that I'm not talking exactly about high throws,
but more about technique and relaxation in general, although it
probably overlaps.

* I know you like juggling complex siteswaps, so you may need to think
of some numbers for learning difficult siteswaps. But you've probably
noticed that once you get the feeling for them, you no longer really
have to think the numbers, your body knows what to do.

buster

Jun 9, 2009, 3:05:46 PM6/9/09
Matthew Tiffany wrote:

> want a workshop on technique at the bjc????
> get in touch
> tiff

that'd be grand!!

do it and i'll certainly be along

edward

Jun 9, 2009, 4:37:23 PM6/9/09

sorry I can't really help (because the most I throw is a 9) but are there
some specific siteswaps you are working on with bigger throws in them?

ChaseMartin

Jun 9, 2009, 6:10:29 PM6/9/09

The thing that I tried today was always pretending that the pattern was
okay, no matter what happened. With a 5 ball, there is no reason to panic
from a bad throw and make another bad throw while trying to adjust -- just
make 4 good relaxed throws and the problem should take care of itself. And
if the throw's really bad, then I would just stop/drop.

I think relaxing was just what I needed to hear. I'm getting longer runs
even after the first day of trying it, and everything just feels more
comfortable anyway.

I still call out the numbers in my mind unless it's a really easy one for
me.

Thanks for all the tips!

ChaseMartin

Jun 9, 2009, 6:14:59 PM6/9/09

2 stage 720's are the thing I really feel limited on right now. I also
really like 96451, but have a hard time running it for more than 5 rounds
or so. 9551 is the same story.