[WJVF] - Voting results and next theme

1 view

aaron gregg

Apr 2, 2005, 7:30:14 PM4/2/05
15 videos entered and votes were cast for all videos. Lovely to see so
much effort spent for such a superfluous purpose.

The fear that has been growing inside me for the last few days has come
true: "In Continent" came first, followed by "Almost Video #1,"
"Fruity-Crunchy Pebbles," "tRaceS squArEd," and "Ballstick." Please feel
free to check my math (and the results don't change if you add the votes
of Gone in 60s to tRaceS squArEd). It seemed that humour was mentioned
most by voters, and very little was said about displays of difficult
juggling. I feared winning because it's hard to be proud of winning a
challenge that you started and organized.

It seems like there is interest in having Challenge #2, so we need a
theme. I suggest that people post new ones in this thread or vote for one
or two from the theme list on the WJVF site. My new theme suggestion
(though it was originally someone elses) - A Juggling Television
Commercial.

Does someone else want to be dictator for the next challenge, please?
I'll do it if no one else volunteers. It would be good if the person had
a website he/she could post the video links on.

Thanks for the fun.

-Aaron

David Stephens

Apr 2, 2005, 7:38:17 PM4/2/05

I love the idea of a Juggling Television Commercial, I didn't get to enter
this time around cause I was busy but I definetely want to in the next
round.

-David

timfythetoo

Apr 2, 2005, 9:19:36 PM4/2/05
I am very up for a juggling television commercial. I have had an idea
brewing for a while for this exact theme and I hope that this would get
me off my duff and finish it. Can we be a bit more flexible on the time
limit? I know most commercials last only a minute but a max of 2 would
allow me to do what I hope I can do.

And cheers to the winners of the last. Loved them all.

Tim

timfythetoo

Apr 2, 2005, 9:19:42 PM4/2/05

Rory Parle

Apr 2, 2005, 9:42:52 PM4/2/05
timfythetoo wrote:
> I am very up for a juggling television commercial. I have had an idea
> brewing for a while for this exact theme and I hope that this would get
> me off my duff and finish it. Can we be a bit more flexible on the time
> limit? I know most commercials last only a minute but a max of 2 would
> allow me to do what I hope I can do.

I'd like to see the limit extended too. I don't think there's much point
in having all of the competitors trying to cut their videos down to a
minute. It seemed from some of the talk about the first contest that
most of the entrants had difficulty keeping them short enough.

--
Rory Parle

staticjuggler

Apr 2, 2005, 11:27:51 PM4/2/05
Like one of those "learn to juggle" ads, only a commercial. That's
brilliant. I might stop being lazy and
actually enter the contest this time.

Jay Linn

Apr 3, 2005, 5:34:05 AM4/3/05
aaron gregg wrote:
> 15 videos entered and votes were cast for all videos. Lovely to see so
> much effort spent for such a superfluous purpose.
>
> The fear that has been growing inside me for the last few days has come
> true: "In Continent" came first, followed by "Almost Video #1,"

Congratulations Aaron, on your magnificent victory, which was all the
greater since you took both 1st *and* 2nd places, and you also had to
organise the competition, count the votes, and announce the results too!
Robert Mugabe would be proud of your self-evident skills in transparent
democracy.

I am also gratified to note that the WJVF has raced to no.1 in
Google's rankings -
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=mozclient&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=wjvf
- well done the WJVF!!

Let us hope that the next challenge will be even half as good as this
one. No, scratch that, let's hope that it will be rubbish, and I can
then forget about shelling out £££s for a video camera so I can join in
too :-/

--
Jay Linn

Lab rat.

vanillatown

Apr 3, 2005, 3:40:33 PM4/3/05
Great job Aaron I voted for both of your vids truly great!

I love the idea of a commercial. Put me down for that.

I also like the idea of keeping it 60 seconds. It makes people think
about what they are doing. It keeps downloads to a minimum, the shots
tight and it is a solid number to shoot for.

Don’t get me wrong if you want to make a 7 min info-mercial, go for it I
will even download it but it better be great.

It is all in the name of fun do your best and make something you would be
happy to see and we all win.

Curt C

www.Vanillatown.com

Kelhoon

Apr 3, 2005, 6:02:09 PM4/3/05
aaron gregg wrote:
[SNIP]

> It seems like there is interest in having Challenge #2, so we need a
> theme. I suggest that people post new ones in this thread or vote for one
> or two from the theme list on the WJVF site. My new theme suggestion
> (though it was originally someone elses) - A Juggling Television
> Commercial.

There was some good stuff in WJVF challenge #1, although I would've liked
to have seen more actual juggling. Thanks to all participants and
congratulations to the winners and place getters.

New theme suggestions :

Will juggling get me girls ?

What the butler saw.

Once upon a time ...

WJF silver jubilee

Little Paul

Apr 4, 2005, 6:06:10 AM4/4/05
On 2005-04-03, timfythetoo <timf...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I am very up for a juggling television commercial. I have had an idea
> brewing for a while for this exact theme and I hope that this would get
> me off my duff and finish it. Can we be a bit more flexible on the time
> limit?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. It's not a "time limit"
it's a "guideline". We've already noticed that almost noone managed
to stick to it. I say aim for a minute, but if you go over it's not
a big problem. But remember that the longer your video is, the bigger
the filesize will be, and the less likely all those precious voters
are to want to download it...

> I know most commercials last only a minute but a max of 2 would
> allow me to do what I hope I can do.

TV commercials are usually 30 seconds in length.. apart from
infomercials which tend to be up to about 15 minutes in length.

-Paul
.sig is jet lagged, and more than a little sunburnt from the weekend

Little Paul

Apr 4, 2005, 6:30:11 AM4/4/05
On 2005-04-03, aaron gregg <agr...@uvic.ca.nospam> wrote:
> 15 videos entered and votes were cast for all videos. Lovely to see so
> much effort spent for such a superfluous purpose.

Here Here!

> The fear that has been growing inside me for the last few days has come
> true: "In Continent" came first, followed by "Almost Video #1,"
> "Fruity-Crunchy Pebbles," "tRaceS squArEd," and "Ballstick."

Nice to see I placed, shame it was only 5th ;-)

> It seems like there is interest in having Challenge #2, so we need a
> theme. I suggest that people post new ones in this thread or vote for one
> or two from the theme list on the WJVF site. My new theme suggestion
> (though it was originally someone elses) - A Juggling Television
> Commercial.

I like that idea, but I think for the next one, it would be good for one
or two people to pick a handfull of themes for peoiple to pick from and
then vote on that smaller subset of themes. Erm, that's probably not
very clear.

Unless someone beats me to it, I'll clarify that later in the week.

> Does someone else want to be dictator for the next challenge, please?

didn't Jani volunteer? ;-)

-Paul

Scott Seltzer

Apr 4, 2005, 7:15:14 AM4/4/05
Little Paul wrote:
> ..sig is jet lagged, and more than a little sunburnt from the weekend

Wouldn't have been so if you'd spent more time in the gym and less on the
beach (there were tea and biscuits inside, you know). I didn't leave the
hall once the entire weekend; I slept not far from where I juggled. My
vitamin D deficiency will cancel out your sunburn, though.

Some highlights for me included:
- Gatto's routine in the show, especially proving he can do 7-up pirouette
on stage, first try.
- Gatto's studlier moves in the hall but I'll give more details another
time...
- Vova one-upping Anthony on some of those club tricks.
- Teaching Martin Frost some new passing patterns. I guess living in a
right-to-left country opens up some ideas that left-to-righters never
thought of.
- Meeting some people who I've known for years from r.j and occasional
emails but finally getting a chance to get to know them.

For those who don't know, there was a juggling party (not quite a
convention, but an informal neverthriving) in Bermuda over the weekend.
Thanks to Andrew Conway for arranging everything - especially the pina
coladas! Happy birthday, Andrew!

-Scott

jugglingeek

Apr 4, 2005, 5:32:56 PM4/4/05
> I also like the idea of keeping it 60 seconds. It makes people think
> about what they are doing. It keeps downloads to a minimum, the shots
> tight and it is a solid number to shoot for.

If we do go for the idea of a advertisment then they should absolutly be
30 seconds long and not a
second longer. Otherwise it would be in the style of a TV advertisment.

Martin Frost me at stanford daht edu

Apr 4, 2005, 6:35:25 PM4/4/05
sc...@juggler.net.nospam (Scott Seltzer) writes:

> Some highlights for me included:

> - Teaching Martin Frost some new passing patterns. I guess living in a
> right-to-left country opens up some ideas that left-to-righters never
> thought of.

Every time I think I've got all possible juggling patterns recorded in
my book's manuscript, some new set of variations comes to light.
Well, I'm not sure these'll make it into the book, because I don't
know how many people like passing while standing on their head. OK,
you don't really have to stand on your head -- you just have to be
from Southern California. I did like doing the Civil War variations,
but I'm not a big fan of complex counting schemes, as I like juggling
rhythms that you can feel and do without using your brain (once your
brain has taught your body the rhythm).

Martin

Schwolop

Apr 5, 2005, 2:30:33 AM4/5/05
I've got one neat idea for a new theme. "Breaking the rules"
It's simple, and has a huge scope for possible entries. Anyway, keep it in
mind. I figure we should run the next comp in few weeks (basically, when
the threads about the most recent comp lose interest!), so someone should
repost the list of choices in a voting thread around then...

Tom

Jani Kyllönen

Apr 4, 2005, 6:54:09 AM4/4/05

Yes, he did.

And the brilliant idea that I mentioned on the beach that I didn't want
to tell you was the very original idea of a juggling TV commercial.
Seems that I wasn't the only one thinking of it.

If no one objects loudly, I'll be the next challenge dictator. I'll
think of the theme and modify the rules slightly. The challenge will be
announced on this forum on thursday or friday this week.

jani, jet lagged

aaron gregg

Apr 5, 2005, 4:31:49 AM4/5/05
Jani wrote:

> If no one objects loudly, I'll be the next challenge dictator. I'll
> think of the theme and modify the rules slightly. The challenge will be
> announced on this forum on thursday or friday this week.

Ah, the torch is passed - have fun Jani. But don't we non-dictators get
to vote on the theme? Yay for juggling commercial!

Little Paul

Apr 5, 2005, 6:31:11 AM4/5/05
On 2005-04-04, Jani Kyllönen <firs...@fakiiriliitto.com> wrote:

> And the brilliant idea that I mentioned on the beach that I didn't want
> to tell you was the very original idea of a juggling TV commercial.
> Seems that I wasn't the only one thinking of it.

Arf! So you mean I bought you all those drinks to try and get your
"secret plan" out of you, and it was just a theme idea?

I feel cheated.

> If no one objects loudly, I'll be the next challenge dictator. I'll
> think of the theme and modify the rules slightly. The challenge will be
> announced on this forum on thursday or friday this week.

Rah!

> jani, jet lagged

Lightweight. I'm back at work today. Mind you, I can't lean back in my
chair because of my shoulders.

-Paul

Little Paul

Apr 5, 2005, 7:09:50 AM4/5/05
On 2005-04-04, Scott Seltzer <sc...@juggler.net.nospam> wrote:
> Little Paul wrote:
>> ..sig is jet lagged, and more than a little sunburnt from the weekend
>
> Wouldn't have been so if you'd spent more time in the gym and less on the
> beach (there were tea and biscuits inside, you know).

I did find the "tea and biscuits" as you put it, but well, the tea was
all filthy "green tea" and "lapdog shoe-sponge" - and the biscuits were
more like cookies. (More like very nice double chocolate cookies ...
mmmmmm!)

Now, had it been Builders Tea and digestives I'd have been *there* dude!

Plus the beach was full of totty. (but don't tell the boyf I was window
shopping ;-)

> Some highlights for me included:
> - Gatto's routine in the show, especially proving he can do 7-up pirouette
> on stage, first try.

Sure the routine included some tremendously studly juggling, but it
somehow didn't feel right without Nick and his fishing net thing.

Perhaps I'm odd, but I think Nick really adds a certain something to
Gattos stage prescence.

> - Meeting some people who I've known for years from r.j and occasional
> emails but finally getting a chance to get to know them.

For me, that was the biggest win of the convention. It was good to
finally meet your good self, Jani, Martin Frost, Vivecca[1] and the
others.

As ever, I didn't get around to doing much juggling, for some reason,
sitting in the sun sipping drinks with umberellas in and chatting with
Jani et al seemed more interesting.

I guess, for the first time in my life, i should probably attemt this
high, low, goal, crush, bane malark that seems to be so popular.

High: Meeting lots of lovely people in the sunshine
Low: Probably getting sunburnt
Goal: To throw clubs at Martin Frost. Shame I didn't get around to it,
I'm sure he could have lost me instantly. I am but a feeble right handed
juggler. It was nice to
Crush: Yohannes the barman. Phwoar!
Bane: erm, I can't really think of one. I think that's a good thing
isn't it?

> Thanks to Andrew Conway for arranging everything - especially the pina
> coladas! Happy birthday, Andrew!

Indeed, shame you weren't around for more of it Andrew - but it was good
to at least meet you! :-)

-Paul
[1] And you think Andrew had an interesting travel story? Woah!
Viveccas just that little bit too dedicated! :-)

Jani Kyllönen

Apr 5, 2005, 8:12:20 AM4/5/05
Little Paul wrote:
> On 2005-04-04, Scott Seltzer <sc...@juggler.net.nospam> wrote:

I was going to write a proper review of my fantastic weekend, but I am
really busy and still confused from two transatlantic flights within a
week. Perhaps I'll write something proper later, but this will have to
do for now.

>>- Meeting some people who I've known for years from r.j and occasional
>>emails but finally getting a chance to get to know them.
>
> For me, that was the biggest win of the convention. It was good to
> finally meet your good self, Jani, Martin Frost, Vivecca[1] and the
> others.

Thirded. Nice to meet people in real life that you have "known" for
years. Even better to find out that they are even nicer and friendlier
than you imagined.

> As ever, I didn't get around to doing much juggling, for some reason,
> sitting in the sun sipping drinks with umberellas in and chatting with
> Jani et al seemed more interesting.

I am normally not a fan of fruity umbrella drinks, but when in Rome...

It should have been a month or two earlier to fully get the "go into the
basking sun from the middle of the darkest winter" -effect. Fortunately
I don't burn too easily and managed not to pass out on the beach.

> I guess, for the first time in my life, i should probably attemt this
> high, low, goal, crush, bane malark that seems to be so popular.

Me too!

Highs:

-Meeting people.
-The sun.
-Relaxed atmosphere.

Low:

-Jet lag. I am still confused out of my tiny mind. (Traveller's tip: if
you fear that you might be getting jet lag - don't drink alcoholic
beverages on long flights.)

Goal:

-To learn the basics of a new prop, perhaps some hat tricks from Paul.
Did I manage it? Did I f**?!

Crush:

-Viveca, dedicated juggler and all around fun person.

> Bane: erm, I can't really think of one. I think that's a good thing
> isn't it?

Wholeheartedly agree.

>>Thanks to Andrew Conway for arranging everything - especially the pina
>>coladas! Happy birthday, Andrew!
>
> Indeed, shame you weren't around for more of it Andrew - but it was good
> to at least meet you! :-)

And here too. Fun time was had by all, except for possibly Andrew.

Scott Seltzer

Apr 5, 2005, 2:04:07 PM4/5/05
Little Paul wrote:
> > - Gatto's routine in the show, especially proving he can do 7-up pirouette
> > on stage, first try.
>
> Sure the routine included some tremendously studly juggling, but it
> somehow didn't feel right without Nick and his fishing net thing.

Well, I definitely prefer Danielle in her fishnets...

-Scott

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Marco Paoletti

Apr 6, 2005, 8:35:57 PM4/6/05

hi jugglers:

i think it would be a good thing to do next challenge more about juggling
than about "creativity in editing video". Though aarons videos, to pick
the 1 and 2 place, were great (in juggling)and extremly funny and i think
they are good videos, but the best thing of the videos is the editing and
the humour. So i theme i think interesting would be one that makes me
think about juggling, or makes me challenge myself with something
creative, or makes me use new props, etc and of curse have fun... i was
thinking for example a theme like "juggling and pets-animals" or something
like that since i dont juggle much with my dog or try anything with her,
so it seems fun... or maybe my girlfriends cat??... hope it helps marco

Adam

Apr 6, 2005, 8:53:36 PM4/6/05

My idea is "juggling in non-ideal conditions."

Adam

aaron gregg

Apr 10, 2005, 8:11:13 PM4/10/05
> If no one objects loudly, I'll be the next challenge dictator. I'll
> think of the theme and modify the rules slightly. The challenge will be
> announced on this forum on thursday or friday this week.

You haven't forgotten, have you?

Marco Paoletti

Apr 10, 2005, 8:31:14 PM4/10/05
aaron gregg wrote:
> > If no one objects loudly, I'll be the next challenge dictator. I'll
> > think of the theme and modify the rules slightly. The challenge will be
> > announced on this forum on thursday or friday this week.
>
> You haven't forgotten, have you?
>
> -Aaron

i totaly agree do it aaron.

marco

Jani Kyllönen

Apr 11, 2005, 1:19:57 AM4/11/05
aaron gregg wrote:
>>If no one objects loudly, I'll be the next challenge dictator. I'll
>>think of the theme and modify the rules slightly. The challenge will be
>>announced on this forum on thursday or friday this week.
>

> You haven't forgotten, have you?

Erm...

Of course not. It's just that when I said thursday or friday, I actually
meant "those days I'll be a bit busy and will post the challenge on
monday afternoon, Finnish time".

Pheew, close one.

That would be in about ten hours counting from this post.

jani