The Gibadulins

1 view

Tobias Vesterlund

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
(http://www.veress.se/gibadulins.htm)

Heya,

Just thought I'd write something about yesterday.

I went to the swedish Circus Maximum, with the wish to watch some pro
jugglers, and maybe talk to them also. I've never done that before, so I
didn't know if I'd dare, but I figured they shouldn't mind. So I talked to
the "presenter" (the guy who introduces everyone), he didn't think it
would be possible because they would leave really early the next morning,
but he told me to talk to the guy in the snack-stand. He only spoke
russian though (his german was probably as bad as my russian ;) ), he
pointed me towards where the juggler lived though, so I asked my way
there, and knocked on the door to the "wagon", and Marat Shageev opened
the door and let me in. It was a small wagon with bed, table, stove etc.
He was very friendly and spoke english too (*phew*! :) ), it was really
interesting to talk to him, he'd been in the circus for 30 years. He had a
look at my clubs (Henry Euro), he thought they felt good. He showed me
their clubs too, homemade! A wooden handle, a metal tube, some rubber and
some other hard (but light) material for the "head" plus som aluminium
cover to make it shiny. They were kind of heavy but he said they were
good for long distant passing.

He was making dinner so I asked him if I could come back later to juggle
some, and I could. So I went back and watched some of act two, and then
came back. It was really kewl to juggle with proffesionals! When I was
juggling with him another guy in the group named Ratmir came too, so I
passed some with both of them, way fun! :) I asked them to pass with
eachother too, they showed me some stuff they didn't perform with (pass 9
clubs etc). It was kind of interesting though, that they didn't seem to do
much beside rehearsing for their act. They had more or less forgotten ball
juggling, and couldn't do much by themself. (3 club mills mess for
example) I'm sure they could've learnt in notime though.

One thing they 25-year-old (Ratmir) told me when I was passing with him
was to not look at the club I catched, but look "straight ahead", covering
everything without needing to move my head - is that generally a good
advice?

I thought their act was great too, very fast! Best passing I've seen this
far. I was really amazed by their speed. They did some UV-club juggling
too, it should've been darker in the circus though. One thing they did was
3 guys laying on the floor juggling above their heads, then passing to the
woman who feeded all of them, plus more I can't describe!

Oh well, I had a good time! :)

Laters,
Tobias.

Rob Stone

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
In article <slrn7njf2t...@hirohito.acc.umu.se>,
to...@hirohito.acc.umu.se (Tobias Vesterlund) wrote:

>(http://www.veress.se/gibadulins.htm)
>
>Heya,
>
>Just thought I'd write something about yesterday.

snip stuff about blagging and home mad clubs - sound awful !

They were kind of heavy but he said they were
>good for long distant passing.

snip about blagging a practice session

>One thing they 25-year-old (Ratmir) told me when I was passing with him
>was to not look at the club I catched, but look "straight ahead", covering
>everything without needing to move my head - is that generally a good
>advice?

yes but id say look at your partner, you can see the incomng clubn and
where yours is landng so you know how to make corrections in case you
throw some
poor (over/under sopun wide/narrow etc). Its not hard to do and
does look better to an audience as well.

>I thought their act was great too, very fast! Best passing I've seen this
>far. I was really amazed by their speed. They did some UV-club juggling
>too, it should've been darker in the circus though. One thing they did was
>3 guys laying on the floor juggling above their heads, then passing to the
>woman who feeded all of them, plus more I can't describe!
>
>Oh well, I had a good time! :)

im jealous.

>Laters,
> Tobias.

laters - how many ?

-- Rob.

Rob Stone, Dept Psychology, University of York, York, YO10 5DD
www.bjc2k.york.ac.uk 13th British Juggling Convention 13 April 2000

Colin E.

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:46:27 +0100, r...@psych.york.ac.uk (Rob Stone)
wrote:

[Robs snips - snipped]

>>One thing they 25-year-old (Ratmir) told me when I was passing with him
>>was to not look at the club I catched, but look "straight ahead", covering
>>everything without needing to move my head - is that generally a good
>>advice?
>
>yes but id say look at your partner, you can see the incomng clubn and
>where yours is landng so you know how to make corrections in case you
>throw some
>poor (over/under sopun wide/narrow etc). Its not hard to do and
>does look better to an audience as well.

What about when there are more than two people? I think it is good
practice to be able to pass without focusing on any one particular
point (kind of like club balance + juggling). When you have 3 or 4
people passing at you it is most impracticle if you have to keep
swinging your head round to look for the incoming clubs (in order to
dive out of the way if needed).

>>I thought their act was great too, very fast! Best passing I've seen this
>>far. I was really amazed by their speed. They did some UV-club juggling
>>too, it should've been darker in the circus though. One thing they did was
>>3 guys laying on the floor juggling above their heads, then passing to the
>>woman who feeded all of them, plus more I can't describe!
>>
>>Oh well, I had a good time! :)
>
>im jealous.

Me too!!

>>Laters,
>> Tobias.
>
>laters - how many ?
>
>-- Rob.

3 - if you count all his posts!

Colin E.

Brian D Milner

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
Colin E. <phy...@phynov.leeds.ac.uk.nospam.leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
>r...@psych.york.ac.uk (Rob Stone) wrote:

>someone said:
>[Robs snips - snipped]
>
>>>One thing they 25-year-old (Ratmir) told me when I was passing with him
>>>was to not look at the club I catched, but look "straight ahead", covering
>>>everything without needing to move my head - is that generally a good
>>>advice?
>>
>>yes but id say look at your partner, you can see the incomng clubn and
>>where yours is landng so you know how to make corrections in case you
> [...]
>point (kind of like club balance + juggling). When you have 3 or 4
>people passing at you it is most impracticle if you have to keep
>swinging your head round to look for the incoming clubs (in order to
>dive out of the way if needed).

If you watch your throw carefully, it has the best chance of being placed
for an easy catch. Your partner does the same thing, so when you put your
hand up to catch his/her pass, you find it falls into your palm sweetly.
i.e. the better you place your passes, the less you have to watch the
incoming pass. :-)

In this way, juggling is a metaphor for life ... !

--
==Brian Milner, The Computer Centre, Brunel University, West London, UK==
=== "Isn't democracy great?" ===

Rob Stone

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
In article <377b26d3...@nntp.leeds.ac.uk>,
phy...@phynov.leeds.ac.uk.nospam.leeds.ac.uk (Colin E.) wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:46:27 +0100, r...@psych.york.ac.uk (Rob Stone)
>wrote:
>

>[Robs snips - snipped]
>

>>>One thing they 25-year-old (Ratmir) told me when I was passing with him
>>>was to not look at the club I catched, but look "straight ahead", covering
>>>everything without needing to move my head - is that generally a good
>>>advice?
>>
>>yes but id say look at your partner, you can see the incomng clubn and
>>where yours is landng so you know how to make corrections in case you

>>throw some
>>poor (over/under sopun wide/narrow etc). Its not hard to do and
>>does look better to an audience as well.
>
>What about when there are more than two people? I think it is good
>practice to be able to pass without focusing on any one particular

>point (kind of like club balance + juggling). When you have 3 or 4
>people passing at you it is most impracticle if you have to keep
>swinging your head round to look for the incoming clubs (in order to
>dive out of the way if needed).

well if you are doing a simple slowish feed i think the same applies,
you should ne looking after your partners needs by delivering good passes
and this provides feedback. When you get onto faster patterns it's not
possible so you have to try hard to pass well and "zen" it. What i do is
just focus somewhere in the middle of the pattern and try to see as much
as possible. so yep you are correct but i think this is something
you should learn early on and the de-focsing will happen as you get better
and try harder patterns, in fact looking at your patrner[s] will help
you to ignore most of the flight of the club and just see it rather than
look at it.

>>>Laters,
>>> Tobias.
>>
>>laters - how many ?
>>
>>-- Rob.
>
>3 - if you count all his posts!

how many now :-)

>Colin E.

Chris Fiddyment

Jul 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/2/99

> What about when there are more than two people?

One fun thing to try when you are feeding two other people is
to look at the person you are not passing too! It is tricky
at first and really freaks the feedes out :-)