Knocked-up Spice

Ami

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
My absence from rhod the last few weeks (blasphemy!or would that be
"heresy!"?) is the direct result of having my head in the toilet 24/7,
since God has seen fit to bless us with another poop factory this coming
spring. Since we blew the name game with the first child, and have no
back-up monikers on hand, I'm soliciting girl's names, and I think the
fact that I'm advertising here is a clear illustration of the
desperation of the case, no offense. Family names are no help.[1]

We'd like something nice, inoffensive, and feminine that will go with
"Skinner". New Age, freakazoid, hippy names like Celestia and Dweezil
will be dismissed out of hand as the dribblings of idiots.

The first nitwit that comes back with "Ask the Oracle!" will receive a
full yak-bag of not-so-recent vintage.

[1] Examples: Artie, Alta, Lurlene, Hazel, June, Pauline, Pearl, Ruby

lee...@kettering.edu

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98

^^^^^^^

Wasn't that the country singer that Homer almost cheated on marge with?

One of my old teachers, a one Mr. July, thought about naming his daughter
May June July. Seriously, I think May was her grandmother's name and June
her great grandmother's name (maternal grandparents, of course).
Fortunately his wife prevailed and they named her Sarah.

DMP

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98

Ami wrote in message <35e17...@andromeda.vec.net>...

>My absence from rhod the last few weeks (blasphemy!or would that be
>"heresy!"?) is the direct result of having my head in the toilet 24/7,
>since God has seen fit to bless us with another poop factory this coming
>spring. Since we blew the name game with the first child, and have no
>back-up monikers on hand, I'm soliciting girl's names, and I think the
>fact that I'm advertising here is a clear illustration of the
>desperation of the case, no offense. Family names are no help.[1]
>
>We'd like something nice, inoffensive, and feminine that will go with
>"Skinner". New Age, freakazoid, hippy names like Celestia and Dweezil
>will be dismissed out of hand as the dribblings of idiots.

"Mule" would be a laugh, but not too feminine.

Casey Grimm

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 10:17:30 -0400, Ami
<askinner@ALL_THAT_EVIL!gbconsulting.com> wrote:

>My absence from rhod the last few weeks (blasphemy!or would that be
>"heresy!"?) is the direct result of having my head in the toilet 24/7,
>since God has seen fit to bless us with another poop factory this coming
>spring. Since we blew the name game with the first child, and have no
>back-up monikers on hand, I'm soliciting girl's names, and I think the
>fact that I'm advertising here is a clear illustration of the
>desperation of the case, no offense. Family names are no help.[1]

>We'd like something nice, inoffensive, and feminine that will go with
>"Skinner". New Age, freakazoid, hippy names like Celestia and Dweezil
>will be dismissed out of hand as the dribblings of idiots.

I'm sorry.

I really am.

But I can't tear my brain away from "Assistant Director".

Perhaps "Abigail Darlene", so she can still be "A. D. Skinner."

I'm outta control...

-c.
Casey Grimm
Laser Geek, Tester of Things Soft.

tim...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article <Pine.GSO.3.95q.98082...@nova.kettering.edu>,
<lee...@kettering.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Ami wrote:
>
> > My absence from rhod the last few weeks (blasphemy!or would that be
> > "heresy!"?) is the direct result of having my head in the toilet 24/7,
> > since God has seen fit to bless us with another poop factory this coming
> > spring. Since we blew the name game with the first child, and have no
> > back-up monikers on hand, I'm soliciting girl's names, and I think the
> > fact that I'm advertising here is a clear illustration of the
> > desperation of the case, no offense. Family names are no help.[1]

> One of my old teachers, a one Mr. July, thought about naming his daughter

> May June July. Seriously, I think May was her grandmother's name and June
> her great grandmother's name (maternal grandparents, of course).
> Fortunately his wife prevailed and they named her Sarah.

I really want to suggest Seven, but I won't. Sarah is a great name, as is
Catherine, and they go great together. But you can't do that. I've already
claimed it for my first daughter, if I ever have one.

--

HRH Prince Timothy T. W. Chew, Duke of North Hills
tc36212atglaxowellcomedotcom - There, Kim. Happy?

Ami

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
Casey Grimm wrote:

> I'm sorry.
>
> I really am.
>
> But I can't tear my brain away from "Assistant Director".
>
> Perhaps "Abigail Darlene", so she can still be "A. D. Skinner."
>
> I'm outta control...

No, no, don't feel bad. You aren't the first to take that shot, you
wacky X-phile.

BTW, if it's a boy, it's going to be Samuel, and we're going to tell him
he was named after the famous Secretary of Transportation during the
Bush administration.

Ami

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
tim...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> In article <Pine.GSO.3.95q.98082...@nova.kettering.edu>,
> <lee...@kettering.edu> wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Ami wrote:
> >
> > > My absence from rhod the last few weeks (blasphemy!or would that be
> > > "heresy!"?) is the direct result of having my head in the toilet 24/7,
> > > since God has seen fit to bless us with another poop factory this coming
> > > spring. Since we blew the name game with the first child, and have no
> > > back-up monikers on hand, I'm soliciting girl's names, and I think the
> > > fact that I'm advertising here is a clear illustration of the
> > > desperation of the case, no offense. Family names are no help.[1]
>
> > One of my old teachers, a one Mr. July, thought about naming his daughter
> > May June July. Seriously, I think May was her grandmother's name and June
> > her great grandmother's name (maternal grandparents, of course).
> > Fortunately his wife prevailed and they named her Sarah.
>
> I really want to suggest Seven, but I won't. Sarah is a great name, as is
> Catherine, and they go great together. But you can't do that. I've already
> claimed it for my first daughter, if I ever have one.
>
> --

Soda!

George is gettin upset!

Ken Adams

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98

I feel the same about Sarah -- we named our first Sarah Rose.

You could name her after a famous actress, like Victoria Principal.

| Ken Adams kad...@raex.com |
| Ken....@lighting.ge.com |
| Post hoc, ergo propter hoc |

Ami

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
Ken Adams wrote:

> You could name her after a famous actress, like Victoria Principal.

You know, you're right. That's a great idea! I'll bet Phyllis Diller
would be really honored!

Ami

I think weeks of unremitting nausea has really sweetened my disposition,
don't you?

BTW, my office mates had become accustomed to the sounds of stifled
laughter coming from my area (since I read rhod at work a lot), but
they're having a hard time with the sounds of stifled retching.

Al Sharka

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
Ami wrote:
> You know, you're right. That's a great idea! I'll bet Phyllis Diller
> would be really honored!

> BTW, my office mates had become accustomed to the sounds of stifled

> laughter coming from my area (since I read rhod at work a lot), but
> they're having a hard time with the sounds of stifled retching.

^^^^^^^^
Ok then, how about your subject line? Call her Victoria Adams. Sounds
kind of "posh" doesn't it?

Robert Bonomi

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
I'd recommend against "Bertha Francine". It'll make
for no end of problems in the req'd college psych course.

In article <35e17...@andromeda.vec.net>,

Ami <askinner@ALL_THAT_EVIL!gbconsulting.com> wrote:
>My absence from rhod the last few weeks (blasphemy!or would that be
>"heresy!"?) is the direct result of having my head in the toilet 24/7,
>since God has seen fit to bless us with another poop factory this coming
>spring. Since we blew the name game with the first child, and have no
>back-up monikers on hand, I'm soliciting girl's names, and I think the
>fact that I'm advertising here is a clear illustration of the
>desperation of the case, no offense. Family names are no help.[1]
>

>We'd like something nice, inoffensive, and feminine that will go with
>"Skinner". New Age, freakazoid, hippy names like Celestia and Dweezil
>will be dismissed out of hand as the dribblings of idiots.

Al Sharka

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
Robert Bonomi wrote:

> I'd recommend against "Bertha Francine". It'll make
> for no end of problems in the req'd college psych course.

You need your behavior modified. Besides, I thought of it first,
but I couldn't post until I figured out why I kept getting shocked.

Tom Tom Harrington

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article <35e17...@andromeda.vec.net>, Ami wrote:
>We'd like something nice, inoffensive, and feminine that will go with
>"Skinner". New Age, freakazoid, hippy names like Celestia and Dweezil
>will be dismissed out of hand as the dribblings of idiots.

Catherine.

That way she can be known to friends as "Cat Skinner". "There's more
than one way to skin a cat, and our daughter's the expert!"

Or perhaps just call her "Principal".

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington ----- t...@rmi.net ----- http://rainbow.rmi.net/~tph
use Perl || die;

Ian Davis

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Ami wrote:

> My absence from rhod the last few weeks (blasphemy!or would that be
> "heresy!"?) is the direct result of having my head in the toilet 24/7,
> since God has seen fit to bless us with another poop factory this coming
> spring.

You know, they've now discovered you don't get babies that way.

Ian (congratulations!)

Bob-!

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 18:12:34 GMT, I read something from
tim...@my-dejanews.com, and it made me feel oogy:

;I really want to suggest Seven, but I won't. Sarah is a great name,

;as is Catherine, and they go great together. But you can't do that.
;I've already claimed it for my first daughter, if I ever have one.

;
Catherine? Catherine Skinner? Cat Skinner?

Bob-?!~

Kimberly Chapman

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98

Ami (askinner@ALL_THAT_EVIL!gbconsulting.com) writes:
> spring. Since we blew the name game with the first child, and have no

What's the first kid's name?

> back-up monikers on hand, I'm soliciting girl's names, and I think the
> fact that I'm advertising here is a clear illustration of the
> desperation of the case, no offense. Family names are no help.[1]

Howabout Anne or some variation thereof? It's my favourite name. Hence
my character name Aenna.

I like Anastasia too, but people will pronounce it anna-stay-zee-ah, which
sucks, because it should be anna-stah-zjia.

If we have a daughter, we're thinking of Sarah Anne. If we have a second
daughter, I'm personally leaning towards Emily, dunno about a middle name
yet. But Emily is a pretty name. So is Amelia.

I like some old Hebraic names, like Hannah (again, my Anne fetish) and
Rebeccah.

I don't mind my own name, I guess...Kimberly Michelle. Dunno why they
picked Kimberly, I'm just glad they didn't listen to my Scottish granny
who wanted to name me Wilhelmina. ANd the Michelle likely comes from the
fact that I was supposed to have been Jason Michael, but oops, I forgot my
winkie in my last life.

Get a baby name book if you don't find good advice here.

.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.* Kimberly Chapman *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
KaCee of alt.pub.kacees, university graduate, hater of Evil Tories.
Number one dirty line from Star Wars:
"Luke, at that speed will you be able to pull out in time?"
.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
http://outer-net.com/kacee/welcome.htm

Ian Davis

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Kimberly Chapman wrote:
> Get a baby name book if you don't find good advice here.

OK, a few important pointers for the choice of baby names:

. First and foremost, the Screech Test. Pick a name you are happy to
screech down the aisle of a supermarket. Trust me on this. A name that
is beautiful and lyrical on paper and whispered softly over the crib can
sound quite different under such circumstances.
. The corollary of the Screech Test: pick a name ending in a vowel
sound. Names ending in consonants are very hard to scream.
. Be careful of acronyms. I personally am a monster from the ID
(Forbidden Planet). Any name starting with a vowel is potential trouble
so watch out. In Ami's case, we can only hope her middle name is not
Susan. However, even if you follow this advice there can still be
problems, isn't that right Dumpcaret?
. Be careful of homonyms. We have a friend whose surname is Cann. She
always wanted to name her son Oliver, until she met me. A minute's
thought and subvocalisation will show you why this is a bad idea ("Yes,
I'll have one too.") For similar reasons, she must also avoid the names
Tim, Danny, Bea, Steele... you get the idea.
. If you must name after relatives, only use their names as middle
names. How many kids are you planning to have anyway? I think this is
a Bad Idea in general, but that is only an opinion.
. Don't bother picking a short name in the mistaken impression that this
will stop other kids shortening it further or making up nicknames. My
parents fell for this one but it doesn't work.

That will do for now, but I'm sure others can add useful information.

Ian.

Tom Tom Harrington

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article <35E1BDDF...@raex.com>, Ken Adams wrote:
>You could name her after a famous actress, like Victoria Principal.

Victoria Principal Skinner? That sounds like a bad episode of
"The Simpsons".

Malcolm Pack

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Also Sprach Ian Davis:

Massage: <35E237...@licre.ludwig.edu.au>
Froom: Ian Davis <da...@licre.ludwig.edu.au>
On: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 14:04:47 +1000
______________________________:

<sage stuff snipped>

> That will do for now, but I'm sure others can add useful information.

Don't assume anything. <g>

Barbara and I decided to call our son Alexis. Alexis Korner, Alexis
Kanner, Saint Alexis: everyone knows that it's a boy's name.

This was a year before Dynasty. The situation wasn't helped much by
Jurassic Park. And now both Alexis Korner and Alexis Kanner are dead.
<sigh>

--
Malc, Southend-on-Sea, UK (not Europe)
UCE > /dev/null

tim...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article <35e20693...@news.epix.net>,

Here I am, trying to be helpful. And everyone is making jokes. Catherine is
quite nice without having to shorten it to Cathy, Cat, Cate, or Caty. If you
want to destroy that name, I suggest you start with the "Kathryn" spelling.

Tim "You'd think it was a humor group, or somethinng" Chew

Robert Bonomi

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article <35E1D3...@my-dejanews.com>,

I was a Freud of that.

It's a name that'd wear thin as she grew up.
Regardless of how appropriate it seemed while she was a Jung 'un.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Imagine my surprise when the Vorlon glyphs on the ancient artifact
translated into this message from Ami:

; We'd like something nice, inoffensive, and feminine that will go with

; "Skinner". New Age, freakazoid, hippy names like Celestia and Dweezil
; will be dismissed out of hand as the dribblings of idiots.

Sheila (my Mom's), Dorothy (my Grandmom's), Sara, Eve, April, May (you
already have June...) Tamara, Amber, Lisa, Leanne, Cynthia, Gayle,
Linda, Jacqueline, Diane, Diana, Llewellen, Fiona, Kimberly, Elise,
Samantha, Flora, Cristine, Catharine, Ann, Lois, Louise, Elizabeth,
Jody.

Want more?

--
Jeffrey Kaplan <*> I'm set up for PGP. Are you?
jkap...@world.std.com <*> There's only one "l" in my name.

"Don't make promises life won't let you keep." (Mariah Cyrus, B5 "The
Long Dark")

Paul L. Kelly

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Ami <askinner@ALL_THAT_EVIL!gbconsulting.com> attempted to infuriate
me by saying:

>We'd like something nice, inoffensive, and feminine that will go with
>"Skinner". New Age, freakazoid, hippy names like Celestia and Dweezil
>will be dismissed out of hand as the dribblings of idiots.

Congratulations!

Get one of those books, pick a name, and then follow Ian's advice
about screeching -- in fact, go ahead to the market and try it out.
Then talk it over with friends, and get them to think of every name
joke they can possibly come up with -- one of Beverly's friends came
up with "Owl-licks" for Alex (I guess they'd seen the Tootsie Pop
commercial once too often). After that it seemed pretty safe.

With Alex, we went with family names, which also happened to be
mostly Irish in origin: Alexandra Dana Machree Kelly. It's quite
the long name for a little girl, I know, but the only real problem
we've had so far is that for a couple of years she was convinced
her middle name was "Andra" and she didn't care for it much. We've
convinced her that it's actually part of her first name, but she
still sticks with Alex or Al.

Let's see, I'll take a shot at this (no Clinton jokes, please):

Sally, Samantha, Stacy, Alicia (I really like that one, but as
someone else said, don't follow it with another "S" name), Nora,
Elaine, Elizabeth is always good, since there are plenty of
opportunities for popular diminutives. Margaret is also a popular
name for the same reason, and it's the only one I know that gives
you the nickname "Peggy," although why is beyond me.

My mother's first name is "Satirah," which goes a long way to
explain why she's always gone by "Ann". Not the strangest name
in her family by far: her grandfather was "Flavius Josephus Hoge."
My father's name was "Rixey Norwood Kelly." This should really help
by making most other names seem normal. And now, you can all stalk
my geneological chart across the Internet. Woohoo.
__
zymurge_ululati...@mindspring.com
remove the yodelling allergy remedies from above address to e-mail.

Paul L. Kelly, whose world-famous bright red Siamese fighting fish is,
milligram for milligram, the fiercest creature on the planet.

Jason Willoughby

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Kimberly Chapman <aq...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote:

> fact that I was supposed to have been Jason Michael, but oops, I forgot my

Gah, you're missing three syllables, and my mom hasn't yelled it in years,
but that combination still makes me seize up like a frightened deer...

jwil...@gate.net
whose middle name is left as an exercise for the reader

Chris OBrien

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 15:43:02 -0400, Ami
<askinner@ALL_THAT_EVIL!gbconsulting.com> wrote:

>Ken Adams wrote:
>>
>> You could name her after a famous actress, like Victoria Principal.
>

>You know, you're right. That's a great idea! I'll bet Phyllis Diller
>would be really honored!

Phyllis Diller Skinner?

No. That's way too cruel. Even Rosanne Rosannadanna is better than
that.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Chris OBrien vang...@golden.net
I think; therefore, I am.
Descartes
I yam what I yam.
Popeye
What I am is what I am are you what you
are or what?
Edie Brickell and
The new Bohemians
~~~
V004.02a

Kimberly Chapman

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98

Jeffrey Kaplan (jkap...@world.std.com) writes:
> Linda, Jacqueline, Diane, Diana, Llewellen, Fiona, Kimberly, Elise,

NO! Not Diana. Do you have any idea how many little girls are going to
get that name in that kid's generation???

And...Llewellen? For a girl? Ew.

And I did notice the little tribute slipped in there, Jeffery. Good boy.

:)

Kimberly M. Chapman, BJ, BA. aka KaCee of KaCee's Place
"You know you're a real loser when you zero the chance."
- Y.Ahtzee.
****Check out alt.pub.kacees****
http://outer-net.com/kacee/welcome.htm

Ami

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Kimberly Chapman wrote:

> Ami (askinner@ALL_THAT_EVIL!gbconsulting.com) writes:
> > spring. Since we blew the name game with the first child, and have no
>
> What's the first kid's name?

Virginia Elizabeth, shortened to Ginny Beth.

> > back-up monikers on hand, I'm soliciting girl's names, and I think the
> > fact that I'm advertising here is a clear illustration of the
> > desperation of the case, no offense. Family names are no help.[1]
>
> Howabout Anne or some variation thereof? It's my favourite name. Hence
> my character name Aenna.

I've already put forth Anna Rose, since my mother's name is Anne and my
great-grandmother was Rosanna, but Boogerhead isn't too enthusiastic.

> I like Anastasia too, but people will pronounce it anna-stay-zee-ah, which
> sucks, because it should be anna-stah-zjia.

This would be great if it weren't for the Disney movie, which Ginny
quotes by the yard, also the rather prosaic last name "Skinner" is sort
of an anticlimax after the romantic buildup of "Anastasia".

> If we have a daughter, we're thinking of Sarah Anne. If we have a second
> daughter, I'm personally leaning towards Emily, dunno about a middle name
> yet. But Emily is a pretty name. So is Amelia.

Love them all, but we're already surrounded by Emilys and Sarahs, and
Amelia is my first name. Mine! All mine! Not Glaxo Wellcome's! No,
just kidding, we're considering Amelia, but then we could really only
call her Amy for short, which would be confusing.

I kind of like Camilla, but my sister's daughter is named that. Of
course, she's 22 now, so it's not like we'd get them mixed up.

There is a contingency in favor of Magnolia, believe it or not (we're
from Mississippi, remember?) which we'd shorten to Maggie. Again, dad is
not pleased with this.

> I like some old Hebraic names, like Hannah (again, my Anne fetish) and
> Rebeccah.

Due to a plethora of Jewish friends, ditto on Hannahs and Rebeccahs.
Also my husband's sister is named Rebecca, and his family has really
thick Appalachian accents, and they simply slaughter it.

> I don't mind my own name, I guess...Kimberly Michelle. Dunno why they
> picked Kimberly, I'm just glad they didn't listen to my Scottish granny
> who wanted to name me Wilhelmina.

Hey! you could have been called Willie for short!

> ANd the Michelle likely comes from the

> fact that I was supposed to have been Jason Michael, but oops, I forgot my

> winkie in my last life.

I've got to hie me down to the library or a good bookstore. Although
I've been fairly impressed so far with the rhod input. I just can't
believe I didn't catch the joke on "Victoria Principal"

Ami

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98

I'm not sure if there is a special hell for really bad pun makers, but
if there is, you're in!

Ami

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Paul L. Kelly wrote:

> Ami <askinner@ALL_THAT_EVIL!gbconsulting.com> attempted to infuriate
> me by saying:
>
> >We'd like something nice, inoffensive, and feminine that will go with
> >"Skinner". New Age, freakazoid, hippy names like Celestia and Dweezil
> >will be dismissed out of hand as the dribblings of idiots.
>
> Congratulations!
>
> Get one of those books, pick a name, and then follow Ian's advice
> about screeching -- in fact, go ahead to the market and try it out.
> Then talk it over with friends, and get them to think of every name
> joke they can possibly come up with -- one of Beverly's friends came
> up with "Owl-licks" for Alex (I guess they'd seen the Tootsie Pop
> commercial once too often). After that it seemed pretty safe.

I wish my mother had played the "Name Game" before naming her children,
since she used to shriek that song at each of us at top volume first
thing in the morning. This is the reason I learned to tell time and
asked for my own alarm clock when I was six. Of course, any name that
gets run through the "Name Game" grinder comes out rather the worse for
wear, so I won't do that, or this one may just end up with "Number 2
child".

> With Alex, we went with family names, which also happened to be
> mostly Irish in origin: Alexandra Dana Machree Kelly.

Nice!

> It's quite
> the long name for a little girl, I know, but the only real problem
> we've had so far is that for a couple of years she was convinced
> her middle name was "Andra" and she didn't care for it much. We've
> convinced her that it's actually part of her first name, but she
> still sticks with Alex or Al.
>
> Let's see, I'll take a shot at this (no Clinton jokes, please):
>
> Sally, Samantha, Stacy, Alicia (I really like that one, but as
> someone else said, don't follow it with another "S" name), Nora,
> Elaine, Elizabeth is always good, since there are plenty of
> opportunities for popular diminutives.

I did put in a vote for Elinor, with Ellie or Nora for short.

>Margaret is also a popular
> name for the same reason, and it's the only one I know that gives
> you the nickname "Peggy," although why is beyond me.

Margaret--Meg--Peg--Peggy. Yes, I know it's a stretch, but this is how
it was explained to me.

> My mother's first name is "Satirah," which goes a long way to
> explain why she's always gone by "Ann". Not the strangest name
> in her family by far: her grandfather was "Flavius Josephus Hoge."
> My father's name was "Rixey Norwood Kelly." This should really help
> by making most other names seem normal. And now, you can all stalk
> my geneological chart across the Internet. Woohoo.

My granddad was "Ezra Newton", great granddad was "Jasper Newton", and
Bryon's granddad was "Stoney". Where on earth did they get these goofy
names?

Kimberly Chapman

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98

Ami (askinner@ALL_THAT_EVIL!gbconsulting.com) writes:
> I've already put forth Anna Rose, since my mother's name is Anne and my
> great-grandmother was Rosanna, but Boogerhead isn't too enthusiastic.

Well if you call him Boogerhead he's not going to be pleased with your
naming practises in general, is he? :)

> Amelia is my first name. Mine! All mine! Not Glaxo Wellcome's! No,

*snicker*

> There is a contingency in favor of Magnolia, believe it or not (we're
> from Mississippi, remember?) which we'd shorten to Maggie. Again, dad is
> not pleased with this.

Ew. Magnolia? Blech. No offense, but major blechage.

>> picked Kimberly, I'm just glad they didn't listen to my Scottish granny
>> who wanted to name me Wilhelmina.
>
> Hey! you could have been called Willie for short!

Splendid. It would help my image as the resident potty-mouth so much if I
were named after a penis.

Al Sharka

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Ami wrote:
> My granddad was "Ezra Newton", great granddad was "Jasper Newton", and
> Bryon's granddad was "Stoney". Where on earth did they get these
> goofy names?

English literature?

Tom Tom Harrington

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article <6rta70$g...@freenet-news.carleton.ca>, Kimberly Chapman wrote:

>Ami (askinner@ALL_THAT_EVIL!gbconsulting.com) writes:
>> spring. Since we blew the name game with the first child, and have no
>
>What's the first kid's name?

An important consideration. My younger brother's name is Gerry.
Tom and Gerry. No, really. I don't know of people outside of
North America will understand, though.

Ami

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Tom Tom Harrington wrote:

> An important consideration. My younger brother's name is Gerry.
> Tom and Gerry. No, really.

ITYM Gerry "Gerry"

Ami

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98

These people were from rural Mississippi, which by definition means
"illiterate".

Jason C. Ciesicki

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Ami wrote:

>Paul L. Kelly wrote:
>> My mother's first name is "Satirah," which goes a long way to
>> explain why she's always gone by "Ann". Not the strangest name
>> in her family by far: her grandfather was "Flavius Josephus Hoge."
>> My father's name was "Rixey Norwood Kelly." This should really help
>> by making most other names seem normal. And now, you can all stalk
>> my geneological chart across the Internet. Woohoo.
>
>My granddad was "Ezra Newton", great granddad was "Jasper Newton", and
>Bryon's granddad was "Stoney". Where on earth did they get these goofy

>names?

Well, "Flavius Josephus" was the Jewish historian who gives us one of the
two objective historical accounts of the existence of a man named "Jesus
Christ". (Simply stating that he existed, had followers, and was
crucified.) FYI, the other is the Roman historian Tacitus (in "The Annals
of Tacitus")...

But that's *REALLY* reaching into obscure history for a name...

Jason C. Ciesicki
so...@solariangroup.com
President, The Solarian Group Innovative Solutions in Network
Software
My opinions do necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer.

Al Sharka

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98

LOL

Hey Tom Tom, Why the two Toms anyway?

lee...@kettering.edu

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
On 25 Aug 1998, Wilhelmina Chapman wrote:

> I like some old Hebraic names, like Hannah (again, my Anne fetish) and
> Rebeccah.

Actually, the old Hebraic name is Rebekah.

"A little nonsense now and then,
Is relished by the wisest men."
--W.W.

lee...@kettering.edu

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98

> That will do for now, but I'm sure others can add useful information.

Don't use a name that ends in S. It will run into her last name. I hate my
name because my first and last name are both monosyllabic and run
together.

lee...@kettering.edu

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Paul L. Kelly wrote:

> My mother's first name is "Satirah," which goes a long way to
> explain why she's always gone by "Ann". Not the strangest name
> in her family by far: her grandfather was "Flavius Josephus Hoge."
> My father's name was "Rixey Norwood Kelly." This should really help
> by making most other names seem normal. And now, you can all stalk
> my geneological chart across the Internet. Woohoo.

The number 1 name *not* to give your daughter. Arbutris. (long u)
I know someone by that name and her nickname is Booty.
Wrong, wrong, name for anyone.

Daniel E. Macks

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
: rh...@epix.net (Bob-!) wrote:
: > On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 18:12:34 GMT, I read something from

: > tim...@my-dejanews.com, and it made me feel oogy:
: >
: > ;I really want to suggest Seven, but I won't. Sarah is a great name,
: > ;as is Catherine, and they go great together. But you can't do that.
: > ;I've already claimed it for my first daughter, if I ever have one.
: > ;
: > Catherine? Catherine Skinner? Cat Skinner?
:
: Here I am, trying to be helpful. And everyone is making jokes.
: Catherine is quite nice without having to shorten it to Cathy, Cat,
: Cate, or Caty. If you want to destroy that name, I suggest you start
: with the "Kathryn" spelling.

If we didn't mention it now, some other kid'll bring it up as a taunt
at some point in your child's school career. When it comes to
creativity, it's hard to top a playground of kids all picking on the
class loser.

dan, whose bright red Siamese fighting fishies go "*ha* ha!"

--
Daniel Macks
dma...@a.chem.upenn.edu

John Dougherty

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
lee...@kettering.edu wrote:

> Don't use a name that ends in S. It will run into her last name. I hate my
> name because my first and last name are both monosyllabic and run
> together.

Wait... Doesn't @kettering.edu have about 6 syllables?

John "Shouldn't be wasting time posting from the university lab" D.

John Dougherty

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
lee...@kettering.edu wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Paul L. Kelly wrote:
>
> > My mother's first name is "Satirah," which goes a long way to
> > explain why she's always gone by "Ann". Not the strangest name
> > in her family by far: her grandfather was "Flavius Josephus Hoge."
> > My father's name was "Rixey Norwood Kelly." This should really help
> > by making most other names seem normal. And now, you can all stalk
> > my geneological chart across the Internet. Woohoo.
>
> The number 1 name *not* to give your daughter. Arbutris. (long u)
> I know someone by that name and her nickname is Booty.
> Wrong, wrong, name for anyone.

That's not simply wrong, it's downright evil.

John "I really ought to go do some homework" D.

Ian Davis

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
tim...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> Here I am, trying to be helpful. And everyone is making jokes. Catherine is
> quite nice without having to shorten it to Cathy, Cat, Cate, or Caty. If you
> want to destroy that name, I suggest you start with the "Kathryn" spelling.

I....see. Kathryn, as in my daughter's middle name? From now on, your
nickname is no longer "Blind Man," it's "Irish."

Ian.

Oh, alright then. "Irish Chew in the name of the law."

Ian Davis

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Kimberly Chapman wrote:
> Splendid. It would help my image as the resident potty-mouth so much if I
> were named after a penis.

OK then, since I'm allocating nicknames, you can be "Moby."

Ian.

Paul L. Kelly

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
John Dougherty <jdou...@csulb.edu> attempted to infuriate me by
saying:

>lee...@kettering.edu wrote:

And of course there are all the awful stories about people who name
their daughters terrible things, like "Placenta" (such a PRETTY name!)
I have never understood why somebody would name a child "Latrina,"
since it seems tantamount to naming her "Toiletia," or perhaps
"Outhousia," but I've actually seen that name plenty of times. And
then there's the name "Calliope," which is plenty pretty if you ask
me, but most often it's mispronounced as "KA lee OPE." It's a sad, sad
world we live in.

Ian Davis

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
lee...@kettering.edu wrote:

> On 25 Aug 1998, Wilhelmina Chapman wrote:
>
> > I like some old Hebraic names, like Hannah (again, my Anne fetish) and
> > Rebeccah.
>
> Actually, the old Hebraic name is Rebekah.

Actually, it was written in Hebrew, wasn't it?

Ian.

Web Master

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <35f580f2...@news-f.std.com>,

jkap...@world.std.com (Jeffrey Kaplan) writes:
> Imagine my surprise when the Vorlon glyphs on the ancient artifact
> translated into this message from Ami:
>
> ; We'd like something nice, inoffensive, and feminine that will go with

> ; "Skinner". New Age, freakazoid, hippy names like Celestia and Dweezil
> ; will be dismissed out of hand as the dribblings of idiots.
>
> Sheila (my Mom's), Dorothy (my Grandmom's), Sara, Eve, April, May (you
> already have June...) Tamara, Amber, Lisa, Leanne, Cynthia, Gayle,
> Linda, Jacqueline, Diane, Diana, Llewellen, Fiona, Kimberly, Elise,
> Samantha, Flora, Cristine, Catharine, Ann, Lois, Louise, Elizabeth,
> Jody.
>
> Want more?

You may borrow my daughter's name if you like it - Brianne (pronounced
Bree-anne) and usually shortened to Bri (pronounced Bree).

Although there is possibly a hidden trap there, we haven't found it yet;
and she's 19.

Cheers
--
David Robley

WEBMASTER | Phone +61 8 8374 0970
RESEARCH CENTRE FOR INJURY STUDIES | http://www.nisu.flinders.edu.au/
AusEinet | http://auseinet.flinders.edu.au/
Flinders University, ADELAIDE, SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Visit the PHP mirror at http://au.php.net:81/

Kimberly Chapman

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98

*glare*

Referring to me as a giant white whale is not going to win you favour in
my sight, you know.

*glare*

And just for kicks...*glare* again.

-- Kimberly "I don't go tanning because I don't want to be lumpy with
cancer later, thankyouverymuch" Chapman

Kimberly Chapman

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98

Al Sharka (ash...@my-dejanews.com) writes:

> Hey Tom Tom, Why the two Toms anyway?

He's hoping to be smacked frequently with an open palm.

-- Kimberly "beating on the tomtom" Chapman

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Kimberly Chapman, BJ, BA. Trust No One
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
http://outer-net.com/kacee/welcome.htm

Malcolm Pack

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Also Sprach Tom "Tom" Harrington:

Massage: <slrn6u5tv...@shell.rmi.net>
Froom: t...@rmi.net (Tom "Tom" Harrington)
On: 25 Aug 1998 17:44:30 GMT
______________________________:

> An important consideration. My younger brother's name is Gerry.

> Tom and Gerry. No, really. I don't know of people outside of
> North America will understand, though.

You're right, we don't understand. We all spell it "Jerry".

--
Malc, Southend-on-Sea, UK (not Europe)
UCE > /dev/null

ash...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
From: hunt...@nisu.flinders.edu.au (Web Master)

>You may borrow my daughter's name if you like it - Brianne (pronounced
>Bree-anne) and usually shortened to Bri (pronounced Bree).
>
>Although there is possibly a hidden trap there, we haven't found it yet;
>and she's 19.

I don't know, it sounds kind of cheesy to me.

Tom Tom Harrington

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <35E30A...@my-dejanews.com>, Al Sharka wrote:
>Hey Tom Tom, Why the two Toms anyway?

You _would_ ask. It's been so long that I've kinda forgotten why
I started doing it. For the record, my _real_ middle name is
not "Tom", it's "Matilda". No, it's not. It's "Preston". I seem
to recall that I adopted "Tom" after becoming envious of several
posters with interesting nicknames inserted between their first &
last names. I didn't have a nickname, so I had to use "Tom".

Tom Tom Harrington

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <35e2e...@andromeda.vec.net>, Ami wrote:
>There is a contingency in favor of Magnolia,

You know you've been staring at a computer screen for too long when
you mis-read this proposed name as "Mongolia".

So, Ami, how about Mongolia Skinner? You can call her "Mongo"
for short.

Tom Tom Harrington

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <35e2e...@andromeda.vec.net>, Ami wrote:
>My granddad was "Ezra Newton", great granddad was "Jasper Newton", and
>Bryon's granddad was "Stoney". Where on earth did they get these goofy
>names?

My brother would have been "Wolfe Harrington", if my father had his
way. It's after Wolfe Tone, a family ancestor, but my mom had
visions of kids singing "Who's afraid of the big bad Wolfe?"

Matt Kerbel

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98

Ami (askinner@ALL_THAT_EVIL!gbconsulting.com) writes:
> Paul L. Kelly wrote:
>>
>> My mother's first name is "Satirah," which goes a long way to
>> explain why she's always gone by "Ann". Not the strangest name
>> in her family by far: her grandfather was "Flavius Josephus Hoge."
>> My father's name was "Rixey Norwood Kelly." This should really help
>> by making most other names seem normal. And now, you can all stalk
>> my geneological chart across the Internet. Woohoo.
>
> My granddad was "Ezra Newton", great granddad was "Jasper Newton", and
> Bryon's granddad was "Stoney". Where on earth did they get these goofy
> names?

I have a Jewish friend at work who tells this story. A past relative
of his whom he never knew -- his grandfather's brother, I think --
applied for a job way back when in less tolerant times. On the
application form was a question about ethnicity. The gentleman in
question checked off "Jewish", and as it turns out did not get the
job (whether his being Jewish was a factor or not I don't believe
they knew for certain).

A few months later he went back to the same company and applied for
another job. This time, however, he checked off "French" on the
ethnicity question, and was hired. Of course, for the rest of his
life he was known as "Frenchy".

I like that story... 8)

--Matt

Matt Kerbel

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98

Ami (askinner@ALL_THAT_EVIL!gbconsulting.com) writes:

> Tom Tom Harrington wrote:
>>
>> An important consideration. My younger brother's name is Gerry.
>> Tom and Gerry. No, really.
>
> ITYM Gerry "Gerry"

LOL! Took a few seconds to sink in first, but LOL! 8)

Matt Kerbel

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98

Ami (askinner@ALL_THAT_EVIL!gbconsulting.com) writes:
> My absence from rhod the last few weeks (blasphemy!or would that be
> "heresy!"?) is the direct result of having my head in the toilet 24/7,
> since God has seen fit to bless us with another poop factory this coming
> spring.

Ummm... congratulations? I think...? 8)

> Since we blew the name game with the first child, and have no

> back-up monikers on hand, I'm soliciting girl's names, and I think the
> fact that I'm advertising here is a clear illustration of the
> desperation of the case, no offense. Family names are no help.[1]

> We'd like something nice, inoffensive, and feminine that will go with
> "Skinner". New Age, freakazoid, hippy names like Celestia and Dweezil
> will be dismissed out of hand as the dribblings of idiots.
>

> The first nitwit that comes back with "Ask the Oracle!" will receive a
> full yak-bag of not-so-recent vintage.
>
> [1] Examples: Artie, Alta, Lurlene, Hazel, June, Pauline, Pearl, Ruby

Yeesh. You're right, family names are no help. Fortunately, in my
family the really horrible names seem to be confined to middle names.
Not that there any outstanding, wonderful first names... they just
aren't as bad as they could be. 8)

(Maybe Alta should have a little sister named Vista? *ahem*)
(I knew a girl in school with the last name May whose middle name was
April...)

Hmmm... girl's names... I had to do a termination calculation (i.e.
how much money is this person entitled to as a settlement of their
pension benefits now that they've resigned or been fired from the
company?) today for an ex-plan member named Nectaria. I know we're
not ever going to use that name, so you're welcome to it... *grin*

Has anybody mentioned Karen yet? Or Kara or Kayley? (spelled however
you like -- Cara? Kayleigh?) I'm thinking of names we'd never use
because they don't go with the last name, but that might go well with
Skinner... But what the heck do I know?

--Matt

Matt Kerbel

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98

Tom "Tom" Harrington (t...@rmi.net) writes:
> In article <35e2e...@andromeda.vec.net>, Ami wrote:
>>There is a contingency in favor of Magnolia,
>
> You know you've been staring at a computer screen for too long when
> you mis-read this proposed name as "Mongolia".
>
> So, Ami, how about Mongolia Skinner? You can call her "Mongo"
> for short.

But then again, why not Congolia?

Ian Davis

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Web Master, living in South Australia, wrote:
> You may borrow my daughter's name if you like it - Brianne (pronounced
> Bree-anne) and usually shortened to Bri (pronounced Bree).
>
> Although there is possibly a hidden trap there, we haven't found it yet;
> and she's 19.

And you're how far from King Island?

Ian.

Ian Davis

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Kimberly Chapman wrote:

> Ian Davis (da...@licre.ludwig.edu.au) writes:
> > OK then, since I'm allocating nicknames, you can be "Moby."
> Referring to me as a giant white whale is not going to win you favour in
> my sight, you know.

No, I named you after a penis, as per your wish. It's the penis that
resembles the great white whale.

Ian.

Ian Davis

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Tom Tom Harrington wrote:
> So, Ami, how about Mongolia Skinner? You can call her "Mongo"
> for short.

Ah, mongolia.

Belvedere! Come here, boy!

Ah'm not only from the South, sir, aaaaah'm in it!

Jeffrey Kaplan

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Imagine my surprise when the Vorlon glyphs on the ancient artifact
translated into this message from Kimberly Chapman:

; > OK then, since I'm allocating nicknames, you can be "Moby."
; *glare*

What about *ZOT*? You are an incarnation, aren't you?

--
Jeffrey Kaplan <*> I'm set up for PGP. Are you?
jkap...@world.std.com <*> There's only one "l" in my name.
There is no need to copy to me via email a newsgroup follow-up.
SF in New England: www.world.std.com/~gordol/nesf/
The World does not necessarily agree with my opinions.

"You're more trouble than a toilet full of snakes, but I couldn't run
this station without you." "Commander, I sense a huge pay raise
coming my way." [laughs] "Dream on." (Cmdr. Sinclair and Mr.
Garibaldi, B5 "Survivors")

Jeffrey Kaplan

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Imagine my surprise when the Vorlon glyphs on the ancient artifact
translated into this message from Tom "Tom" Harrington:

; not "Tom", it's "Matilda". No, it's not. It's "Preston". I seem

Preston? You're a cyberdog?

--
Jeffrey Kaplan <*> I'm set up for PGP. Are you?
jkap...@world.std.com <*> There's only one "l" in my name.
There is no need to copy to me via email a newsgroup follow-up.
SF in New England: www.world.std.com/~gordol/nesf/
The World does not necessarily agree with my opinions.

"Well, if you're going to have delusions, may as well go for the
really satisfying ones." (Marcus Cole, B5 "The Summoning")

Jeffrey Kaplan

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Imagine my surprise when the Vorlon glyphs on the ancient artifact
translated into this message from Kimberly Chapman:

; Jeffrey Kaplan (jkap...@world.std.com) writes:
; > Linda, Jacqueline, Diane, Diana, Llewellen, Fiona, Kimberly, Elise,
;
; NO! Not Diana. Do you have any idea how many little girls are going to
; get that name in that kid's generation???

; And...Llewellen? For a girl? Ew.
;
; And I did notice the little tribute slipped in there, Jeffery. Good boy.

I just let my mind wander around a bunch of girl's names I picked up
from various places. Some are relatives, some are old girlfriends,
some are from books, some are from here...

--
Jeffrey Kaplan <*> I'm set up for PGP. Are you?
jkap...@world.std.com <*> There's only one "l" in my name.
There is no need to copy to me via email a newsgroup follow-up.
SF in New England: www.world.std.com/~gordol/nesf/
The World does not necessarily agree with my opinions.

"They carry within them the capacity to walk amongst the stars like
giants. They are the future and we have much to learn from them."
(Satai Delenn, B5 "Babylon Squared")

Jeffrey Kaplan

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Imagine my surprise when the Vorlon glyphs on the ancient artifact
translated into this message from Ami:

; I wish my mother had played the "Name Game" before naming her children,
; since she used to shriek that song at each of us at top volume first
; thing in the morning. This is the reason I learned to tell time and
; asked for my own alarm clock when I was six. Of course, any name that
; gets run through the "Name Game" grinder comes out rather the worse for
; wear, so I won't do that, or this one may just end up with "Number 2
; child".

There's a branch of my family (Mom's side, somewhere) named "Ash." A
cousin in there is named "Paul." He's lucky, the joke in the family is
that he was almost named "Jack."

--
Jeffrey Kaplan <*> I'm set up for PGP. Are you?
jkap...@world.std.com <*> There's only one "l" in my name.
There is no need to copy to me via email a newsgroup follow-up.
SF in New England: www.world.std.com/~gordol/nesf/
The World does not necessarily agree with my opinions.

"Well, in that case, I think this is the biggest pile of horse-hockey
I ever saw. Who the hell's running Earth Force? Abbott & Costello?"
(Mr. Garibaldi, B5 "Eyes")

tim...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <35E330...@licre.ludwig.edu.au>,

da...@licre.ludwig.edu.au wrote:
> tim...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> > Here I am, trying to be helpful. And everyone is making jokes. Catherine
is
> > quite nice without having to shorten it to Cathy, Cat, Cate, or Caty. If
you
> > want to destroy that name, I suggest you start with the "Kathryn" spelling.

There's an explanation here. Catherine was my Grandma Chew's name. Kathryn
dumped me for a math major. See? Perfectly logical.

> I....see. Kathryn, as in my daughter's middle name? From now on, your
> nickname is no longer "Blind Man," it's "Irish."

<mutter> What's this between my teeth? A toenail? Damned feet always getting
in my mouth. </mutter>

> Oh, alright then. "Irish Chew in the name of the law."

Ow.

Tim "where the hell's that hurricane they sent us home for yesterday?" Chew

ash...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
(Tom "Tom" Harrington) wrote:
Al Sharka wrote:
> >Hey Tom Tom, Why the two Toms anyway?
>
> I seem
> to recall that I adopted "Tom" after becoming envious of several
> posters with interesting nicknames inserted between their first &
> last names. I didn't have a nickname, so I had to use "Tom".

Aw gee. I'm sorry I asked. This sort of ruins the magic of
nicknames for me.

Paul L. Kelly

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
tim...@my-dejanews.com attempted to infuriate me by saying:

>> Oh, alright then. "Irish Chew in the name of the law."
>
>Ow.
>
>Tim "where the hell's that hurricane they sent us home for yesterday?" Chew

I do believe you owe Ian a Chewpie doll, Tim.

Paul L. Kelly

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Ian Davis <da...@licre.ludwig.edu.au> attempted to infuriate me by
saying:

>Tom Tom Harrington wrote:

Oh do shut up. You have the accent, suh, not us.

Paul L. Kelly

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
hunt...@nisu.flinders.edu.au (Web Master) attempted to infuriate me
by saying:

>You may borrow my daughter's name if you like it - Brianne (pronounced

>Bree-anne) and usually shortened to Bri (pronounced Bree).
>
>Although there is possibly a hidden trap there, we haven't found it yet;
>and she's 19.

Well let's just hope she never has foot odor.

William J. Evans; mail protected by spamgard{tm}

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
aq...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Kimberly Chapman) wrote:
:Referring to me as a giant white whale is not going to win you favour in
:my sight, you know.

How about a great Caucasian whale?

-- Captain Nitpick Kansas is at the center of the universe.
Bill Evans/Box 4829/Irvine, California 92616/(714)551-2766 _ /| ACK!
Email-To: w...@acm.org -- PGP encrypted mail preferred. -- \`o_O' /
Finger w...@netcom.com for public key. Key #: 441AFEA5 =( )=
PGPprint: FB D0 1C 1D EF DC 26 BA B3 9E 84 0B 40 D6 59 9C U

ash...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
zymurge_ululati...@mindspring.com wrote:
> tim...@my-dejanews.com attempted to infuriate me by saying:
> >> Oh, alright then. "Irish Chew in the name of the law."
> >Ow.
> >Tim "where the hell's that hurricane they sent us home for yesterday?" Chew
> I do believe you owe Ian a Chewpie doll, Tim.

If it's in a sitting position, does that make it a bent Wookie?

DMP

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98

Paul L. Kelly wrote in message <35e3553e...@news.mindspring.com>...

>And of course there are all the awful stories about people who name
>their daughters terrible things, like "Placenta" (such a PRETTY name!)
>I have never understood why somebody would name a child "Latrina,"
>since it seems tantamount to naming her "Toiletia," or perhaps
>"Outhousia," but I've actually seen that name plenty of times. And
>then there's the name "Calliope," which is plenty pretty if you ask
>me, but most often it's mispronounced as "KA lee OPE." It's a sad, sad
>world we live in.

One of the children my mother deals with (she's an educational
diagnostician) is a little girl named "shithead" pronounced sh-thead. This
is a true story.

tim...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <35eb0e66...@news.mindspring.com>,

zymurge_ululati...@mindspring.com wrote:
> tim...@my-dejanews.com attempted to infuriate me by saying:
>
> >> Oh, alright then. "Irish Chew in the name of the law."
> >
> >Ow.
> >
> >Tim "where the hell's that hurricane they sent us home for yesterday?" Chew
>
> I do believe you owe Ian a Chewpie doll, Tim.

D'oh! I do believe you're right. I'll send it via e-mail. I hope Blade
Runner got his.

--

HRH Prince Timothy T. W. Chew, Duke of North Hills
tc36212atglaxowellcomedotcom - There, Kim. Happy?
Do not mail to the DejaNews address, I won't read it.
My opinions, mine. All mine! Not Glaxo Wellcome's

Tom Tom Harrington

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <35f2d1d3...@news-f.std.com>, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
>Imagine my surprise when the Vorlon glyphs on the ancient artifact
>translated into this message from Tom "Tom" Harrington:
>
>; not "Tom", it's "Matilda". No, it's not. It's "Preston". I seem
>
>Preston? You're a cyberdog?

No, my father is a cyberdog, as was his father and grandfather. I'm
just named after one.

Tom Tom Harrington

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <35f425e3...@news.cableinet.co.uk>, Malcolm Pack wrote:
>Also Sprach Tom "Tom" Harrington:

>> An important consideration. My younger brother's name is Gerry.
>> Tom and Gerry. No, really. I don't know of people outside of
>> North America will understand, though.
>
>You're right, we don't understand. We all spell it "Jerry".

But they sound the same, so when you are introduced to someone....

Tom Tom Harrington

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <35e3553e...@news.mindspring.com>, Paul L. Kelly wrote:
>And of course there are all the awful stories about people who name
>their daughters terrible things, like "Placenta" (such a PRETTY name!)
>I have never understood why somebody would name a child "Latrina,"
>since it seems tantamount to naming her "Toiletia," or perhaps
>"Outhousia," but I've actually seen that name plenty of times.

You know people named "Outhousia"?

I once read a discussion in another newsgroup about a woman at Wal-Mart
yelling at he daughter. The kid's name was "Fellatia". I really tried
to believe that this was just "Felicia" with some sort of accent.

JustMe

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Tom Tom Harrington wrote:

> In article <35e3553e...@news.mindspring.com>, Paul L. Kelly wrote:
> >And of course there are all the awful stories about people who name
> >their daughters terrible things, like "Placenta" (such a PRETTY name!)
> >I have never understood why somebody would name a child "Latrina,"
> >since it seems tantamount to naming her "Toiletia," or perhaps
> >"Outhousia," but I've actually seen that name plenty of times.
>
> You know people named "Outhousia"?
>
> I once read a discussion in another newsgroup about a woman at Wal-Mart
> yelling at he daughter. The kid's name was "Fellatia". I really tried
> to believe that this was just "Felicia" with some sort of accent.

Father, forgive me, for I have sinned, by letting loose a loud guffaw,
when at a baptism the pastor said, "Sherita. Ona. Peters, I baptize
you..."

Margi (who just knows it is a sin to laugh aloud in a LCMS church)

lee...@kettering.edu

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Ian Davis wrote:

> lee...@kettering.edu wrote:
> >
> > On 25 Aug 1998, Wilhelmina Chapman wrote:
> >
> > > I like some old Hebraic names, like Hannah (again, my Anne fetish) and
> > > Rebeccah.
> >
> > Actually, the old Hebraic name is Rebekah.
>
> Actually, it was written in Hebrew, wasn't it?

Yeah but HSCII isn't supported by m^Hany newsreaders.

"A little nonsense now and then,
Is relished by the wisest men."
--W.W.

Ben Fisher

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Ami wrote:

> My absence from rhod the last few weeks (blasphemy!or would that be
> "heresy!"?) is the direct result of having my head in the toilet 24/7,
> since God has seen fit to bless us with another poop factory this coming
> spring. Since we blew the name game with the first child, and have no

> back-up monikers on hand, I'm soliciting girl's names, and I think the
> fact that I'm advertising here is a clear illustration of the
> desperation of the case, no offense. Family names are no help.[1]
>
> We'd like something nice, inoffensive, and feminine that will go with
> "Skinner". New Age, freakazoid, hippy names like Celestia and Dweezil
> will be dismissed out of hand as the dribblings of idiots.
>
> The first nitwit that comes back with "Ask the Oracle!" will receive a
> full yak-bag of not-so-recent vintage.
>
> [1] Examples: Artie, Alta, Lurlene, Hazel, June, Pauline, Pearl, Ruby

Alexanna. Currently called Lexi or Alex (only by her uncle). I'm pushing
Xanna (pronounced Zanna), but she doesn't answer to that yet.

Ben
--
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons | I don't claim to
For you are Crunchy | speak for Intel.

Modify my email address to reply

Ben Fisher

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
DMP wrote:

> Paul L. Kelly wrote in message <35e3553e...@news.mindspring.com>...
>
> >And of course there are all the awful stories about people who name
> >their daughters terrible things, like "Placenta" (such a PRETTY name!)
> >I have never understood why somebody would name a child "Latrina,"
> >since it seems tantamount to naming her "Toiletia," or perhaps
> >"Outhousia," but I've actually seen that name plenty of times. And
> >then there's the name "Calliope," which is plenty pretty if you ask
> >me, but most often it's mispronounced as "KA lee OPE." It's a sad, sad
> >world we live in.
>
> One of the children my mother deals with (she's an educational
> diagnostician) is a little girl named "shithead" pronounced sh-thead. This
> is a true story.

Bill Cosby: "For years I thought my name was 'Dammit' and my btohers name
was 'Jesus Christ'."

"Jesus Christ! Look what you've done!"

"C'mere, dammit."

"But Dad, my name's Jesus Christ"

Ben
always look for the bright side of life.

Jason Willoughby

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Tom "Tom" Harrington <t...@rmi.net> wrote:
> An important consideration. My younger brother's name is Gerry.
> Tom and Gerry. No, really. I don't know of people outside of
> North America will understand, though.

Did "Tom & Jerry" ever make it out of the US? I imagine the rest of the
western world would consider it in bad taste, especially since Jerry
always won...

jwil...@gate.net
nasty nazi cartoon

Kirsten Chevalier

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Ian Davis (da...@licre.ludwig.edu.au) wrote:

: I was a major perpetrator of the
: stupid-madeup-nickname-in-quotes-metareference thing till I got roundly
: told off in this group for it. I'm getting sensitive about it!

I bet you are, Ian "Peein'" Davis.
kirsten

--
Kirsten Chevalier * mchev...@wellesley.edu * Often in error, never in doubt
"Life is like a computer program, some are good, some are bad, all have

Daniel Glick

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Jason Willoughby wrote in message <6s29o1$f...@dakota.gate.net>...
[excise]
>jwil...@gate.net
>nasty nazi cartoon

Frankly, I prefer naughty nazi.

Brookingly,
Daniel, whose brSff live in 2B

Ian Davis

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Paul L. Kelly wrote:

> Ian Davis <da...@licre.ludwig.edu.au> attempted to infuriate me by
> saying:

> >Ah, mongolia.
> >
> >Belvedere! Come here, boy!
> >
> >Ah'm not only from the South, sir, aaaaah'm in it!
>
> Oh do shut up. You have the accent, suh, not us.

I do believe you have missed the reference.

Ian.

Ian Davis

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
ash...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> (Tom "Tom" Harrington) wrote:
> > I seem
> > to recall that I adopted "Tom" after becoming envious of several
> > posters with interesting nicknames inserted between their first &
> > last names. I didn't have a nickname, so I had to use "Tom".
>
> Aw gee. I'm sorry I asked. This sort of ruins the magic of
> nicknames for me.

I was a major perpetrator of the

stupid-madeup-nickname-in-quotes-metareference thing till I got roundly
told off in this group for it. I'm getting sensitive about it!

Ian.

Ian Davis

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
lee...@kettering.edu wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Ian Davis wrote:
>
> > lee...@kettering.edu wrote:

> > > Actually, the old Hebraic name is Rebekah.
> >
> > Actually, it was written in Hebrew, wasn't it?
>
> Yeah but HSCII isn't supported by m^Hany newsreaders.

My point was that you were telling him off for using a spelling when
your own is not the original either! Phonetically they are identical.

Ian.

Richard McAteer

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
ash...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> From: hunt...@nisu.flinders.edu.au (Web Master)

> >You may borrow my daughter's name if you like it - Brianne (pronounced
> >Bree-anne) and usually shortened to Bri (pronounced Bree).
> >
> >Although there is possibly a hidden trap there, we haven't found it yet;
> >and she's 19.

> I don't know, it sounds kind of cheesy to me.

Oh, anyone curd of come up with that. It was a gouda-dea though.

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
Richard McAteer rmca...@chat.carleton.ca
Mathematics IV, Carleton University rmca...@hotmail.com

"It is not the case that for every x,
x is not rotten in the state of Denmark."
/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

Robert Bonomi

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
In article <slrn6u8hi...@shell.rmi.net>,

Tom "Tom" Harrington <t...@rmi.net> wrote:
>In article <35e3553e...@news.mindspring.com>, Paul L. Kelly wrote:
>>And of course there are all the awful stories about people who name
>>their daughters terrible things, like "Placenta" (such a PRETTY name!)
>>I have never understood why somebody would name a child "Latrina,"
>>since it seems tantamount to naming her "Toiletia," or perhaps
>>"Outhousia," but I've actually seen that name plenty of times.
>
>You know people named "Outhousia"?

Would you believe a _last_ name of "Outhouse"?

for real.

For some reason, the two brothers, between them, werre state 'Golden Gloves'
(boxing) champions for something like seven years running.

One of them ended up in city government. Executive position, Department
head. the Water Department. which included sewage treatement.

Absolutely true

Ian Davis

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Robert Bonomi wrote:
> Would you believe a _last_ name of "Outhouse"?
> For some reason, the two brothers, between them, werre state 'Golden Gloves'
> (boxing) champions for something like seven years running.

This makes perfect sense, if you think about it.

Ian.

Robert Bonomi

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
In article <6s2ce5$b2f$6...@bertrand.ccs.carleton.ca>,

Richard McAteer <rmca...@chat.carleton.ca> wrote:
>ash...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>> From: hunt...@nisu.flinders.edu.au (Web Master)
>> >You may borrow my daughter's name if you like it - Brianne (pronounced
>> >Bree-anne) and usually shortened to Bri (pronounced Bree).
>> >
>> >Although there is possibly a hidden trap there, we haven't found it yet;
>> >and she's 19.
>
>> I don't know, it sounds kind of cheesy to me.
>
>Oh, anyone curd of come up with that. It was a gouda-dea though.

I detect a de-feta-ist attitude. ("said tom, sharply")

Nils Desle

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Jason Willoughby wrote:

> Tom "Tom" Harrington <t...@rmi.net> wrote:
> > An important consideration. My younger brother's name is Gerry.
> > Tom and Gerry. No, really. I don't know of people outside of
> > North America will understand, though.
>
> Did "Tom & Jerry" ever make it out of the US? I imagine the rest of the
> western world would consider it in bad taste, especially since Jerry
> always won...

Are you kidding? Cartoons are the best thing to ever come out of
America! We get 'em all! My fave Tom & Jerry is the one where Jerry has
a dog whistle and every time Tom tries something, Jerry whistles and
Spike comes and beats the crap out of him. Hee hee.

My favourite Bugs Bunny is the Opera one.

Elmer: My spear and Magic Helmet!
Bugs: Your what?
Elmer: My spear and Magic Helmet!

Classic.

Nils "You're dissphicable"

William J. Evans; mail protected by spamgard{tm}

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
JustMe <mar...@ott.net> wrote:
:Father, forgive me, for I have sinned, by letting loose a loud guffaw,

:when at a baptism the pastor said, "Sherita. Ona. Peters, I baptize
:you..."
:
:Margi (who just knows it is a sin to laugh aloud in a LCMS church)

Guffaw along with me! The best is yet to be.
The last of laughs, for which the first is made.

Paul L. Kelly

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Ian "Crybaby" Davis <da...@licre.ludwig.edu.au> attempted to infuriate
me by saying:

>ash...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

I thought it was sort of a parallelogram-shaped telling off, actually.

Paul L. Kelly

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Ian Davis <da...@licre.ludwig.edu.au> attempted to infuriate me by
saying:

>lee...@kettering.edu wrote:

I like to read the King James version of the Bible, because I just
love the way people used to talk back in biblical times.

Paul L. Kelly

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
tim...@my-dejanews.com attempted to infuriate me by saying:

>In article <35eb0e66...@news.mindspring.com>,
> zymurge_ululati...@mindspring.com wrote:
>> tim...@my-dejanews.com attempted to infuriate me by saying:

>> >Ow.
>> >
>> >Tim "where the hell's that hurricane they sent us home for yesterday?" Chew
>>
>> I do believe you owe Ian a Chewpie doll, Tim.
>
>D'oh! I do believe you're right. I'll send it via e-mail. I hope Blade
>Runner got his.

Speaking of him, whatever happened to him? He hasn't been here in
quite a while.

Paul L. Kelly

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Ian Davis <da...@licre.ludwig.edu.au> attempted to infuriate me by
saying:

>Paul L. Kelly wrote:
>>
>> Ian Davis <da...@licre.ludwig.edu.au> attempted to infuriate me by
>> saying:

>> >Ah, mongolia.
>> >
>> >Belvedere! Come here, boy!
>> >
>> >Ah'm not only from the South, sir, aaaaah'm in it!
>>
>> Oh do shut up. You have the accent, suh, not us.
>
>I do believe you have missed the reference.

Nunh-uh. I didn't miss the reference, it was just another good
opportunity to give you shit about your accent, which I know is
funny because you're Austrian.

Too bad Mel Blanc didn't ever do any characters from down under --
I bet it would have been hilarious.

Tim Allen

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Ami <askinner@ALL_THAT_EVIL!gbconsulting.com> wrote:

>My absence from rhod the last few weeks (blasphemy!or would that be
>"heresy!"?) is the direct result of having my head in the toilet 24/7,

Really? We know what causes that now.

>since God has seen fit to bless us with another poop factory this coming
>spring.

Oh, so do you.

>Since we blew the name game with the first child, and have no
>back-up monikers on hand, I'm soliciting girl's names, and I think the
>fact that I'm advertising here is a clear illustration of the
>desperation of the case, no offense. Family names are no help.[1]

OK, some of my fave girls names of all time: Sharon, Amy, Diana [2],
Annetta, Phoebe [1], Caroline, Jessica, Jennifer.

Poor choices for girls' names: Mulva, Dietburga, Fatima.

Tim Allen

[1] Gotta love those dipthongs!

[2] Yeah, so some Spencer got there first. Sue [3] me.

[3] No pun intended.
,----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| "Woof!" said Timmy.

DMP

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98

Ben Fisher wrote in message <35E49650...@intel.com>...

>DMP wrote:
>>
>> Paul L. Kelly wrote in message <35e3553e...@news.mindspring.com>...
>>
>> >And of course there are all the awful stories about people who name
>> >their daughters terrible things, like "Placenta" (such a PRETTY name!)
>> >I have never understood why somebody would name a child "Latrina,"
>> >since it seems tantamount to naming her "Toiletia," or perhaps
>> >"Outhousia," but I've actually seen that name plenty of times. And
>> >then there's the name "Calliope," which is plenty pretty if you ask
>> >me, but most often it's mispronounced as "KA lee OPE." It's a sad, sad
>> >world we live in.
>>
>> One of the children my mother deals with (she's an educational
>> diagnostician) is a little girl named "shithead" pronounced sh-thead.
This
>> is a true story.
>
>Bill Cosby: "For years I thought my name was 'Dammit' and my btohers name
>was 'Jesus Christ'."
>
>"Jesus Christ! Look what you've done!"
>
>"C'mere, dammit."
>
>"But Dad, my name's Jesus Christ"

My father use to combine the short forms of my first and middle names all
the time--"Dan Matt, get down these stairs right now!" (My father was never
mad at me, he just thought it was funny to say Dan Matt)

DMP

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98

Paul L. Kelly wrote in message <35f5dac7...@news.mindspring.com>...

>Ian Davis <da...@licre.ludwig.edu.au> attempted to infuriate me by
>saying:
>
>>Paul L. Kelly wrote:
>>>
>>> Ian Davis <da...@licre.ludwig.edu.au> attempted to infuriate me by
>>> saying:

>>> Oh do shut up. You have the accent, suh, not us.
>>
>>I do believe you have missed the reference.
>
>Nunh-uh. I didn't miss the reference, it was just another good
>opportunity to give you shit about your accent, which I know is
>funny because you're Austrian.
>
>Too bad Mel Blanc didn't ever do any characters from down under --
>I bet it would have been hilarious.

I didn't know that Austria was referred to as "down under" I thought that
was reserved for Australia. No wonder that's always been so confusing...

It is loading more messages.