Physical preparedness

Rich Stern

Dec 21, 2003, 9:18:36 PM12/21/03
I've enjoyed the many debates I have been reading here and in printed form
about being prepared for unexpexcted confrontation: CCW issues, caliber and
model preferences, training, range time, etc.

One thing notably absent from the discussion, at least in the short time I've
been reading, is discussion of physical fitness.

I know from my own "battle of the bulge," carrying around an extera twenty five
pounds takes a toll on my physical skills. Without the weight, I am faster,
quicker, have far more stamina (treadmill time keeps the weight off), and in
general, more confident in my abilities.

How much is physical fitness a part of your preparedness routine?

Shoot the best, forget the rest! Win your choice of Fulton
Armory prize packages in the 'Classic Military Gas Guns of
the 20th Century' rifle raffle held by Marylanders for the
Preservation of Firearm Ownership. Get all the details at
http://www.direct-action.org
Learn rec.guns at http://www.recguns.com

Airborne Falcon

Dec 22, 2003, 8:08:58 AM12/22/03
With the new "High Alert" being put out tonight my wife and I were just
talking about this very same thing. I too have put on the extra pounds in
the last few years. Good for short term hardship survival I guess - I could
go awhile without eating if it came down to it ... but bad for defensive
purposes if it were to come down to the nitty gritty.

I've got a nice bike, one of these high speed Trek 300 jobs that I am going
to start riding as my New Years resolution. I've thought about doing some
move-n-shoot drills on the back forty just to see if I can hit anything
while a little bit winded. It's not a bad idea, preparing physically just
in case something were to happen. I can say for a fact that a person's
shooting skills diminish exponentially when physically challenged at a time
of need. I remember our march-n-shoot drills back at Bragg and we always
noticed lower scores when shooting immediately after a forced march. And
after reading the story of flimflam and the nutcase with the sword I am even
more convinced that I probably need to stress myself on the back forty range
a few times just to see how I am holding up these days. A lot of it is
mental when your brain is robbed of oxygen. Maybe I'll ride my bike for
awhile, around the farm and then back to the back forty ... then get off and
shoot while winded.

Russ

Paul W. Ross

Dec 22, 2003, 8:05:42 PM12/22/03
The best match I ever shot was on a cup of real coffee and two jelly donuts...

Ken Marsh

Dec 22, 2003, 8:06:12 PM12/22/03

Rich Stern <rbs...@aol.com> wrote:
#How much is physical fitness a part of your preparedness routine?

I'm not overweight. I am better prepared for prolonged cold water
submersion. The better to utilize my underwater bear defense skills,
don'chya know.

Ken. :)
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Save the environment! Buy US-made
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | heavy industries products.

Charles Winters

Dec 22, 2003, 8:06:21 PM12/22/03
I suggest the following for a good test of preparedness:
- Have a high power rifle with iron sights, QD scope optional, zeroed for
100 yds/meters, on hand and ready to go
- Have 100 rounds of ammo for same on hand and ready to go
- Be proficient in riflery with some sort of practical shooting drills at
100, 200 and 300 meters/yards
- Have rucksack with sleeping bag and 10 essentials ready to go
- Load up ruck with ammo, plus food and water for 3 days, sling the rifle
over shoulder and leave roadhead/hit the dusty trail at first light and hike
20 miles to destination by sundown
- set up camp, prepare meal, sleep on ground and wake up the next morning
and assess your physical condition.

If you can honestly say you are ready at that point to fight and win, I'd
say you are combat ready and physically fit enough for just about any
contingency. - CW

x "Rich Stern"
snip
#
# I know from my own "battle of the bulge," carrying around an extera twenty
five
# pounds takes a toll on my physical skills. Without the weight, I am
faster,
# quicker, have far more stamina (treadmill time keeps the weight off), and
in
# general, more confident in my abilities.
#
# How much is physical fitness a part of your preparedness routine?
snip

C-squared

Dec 22, 2003, 8:07:27 PM12/22/03
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 02:18:36 +0000 (UTC), rbs...@aol.com (Rich Stern)
wrote:

#
#How much is physical fitness a part of your preparedness routine?
#

I'm not completely out of shape, but sometimes my heart will beat hard
enough to unsteady my aim. blah. Part of that also has to do with not
drinking enough water and not remembering to breathe.

http://atv.corpsie.com (Suzuki Z400 page)

If you're going to ridicule my post, please
do it publicly and stop privately e-mailing me.

David

Dec 23, 2003, 6:47:07 AM12/23/03
When I was in my 20's and early 30's I was pretty tough. I ran 9 to
12 miles a week and lifted four days a week. I shot about 300 rounds a
month out of my carry gun back then mostly from the leather in the
dark.
Now that I'm 40 with kids, etc, I'm lucky to run 9 miles a week and
haven't lifted in about 6 years. I would hate to see how little I
could lift now. I'm lucky to burn 100 rounds a month.
I will say that the years and my experiences have made me meaner and
more aggressive toward people who are clear or potential threats and I
am more confident in situations since it's not my first time anymore.
I have also become more sensitized to other people's suffering and
value life more. Just not the lives of predatory folks which I value
at an all time low.
Maybe it has kind of evened out. A lot of my budies have gotten
pretty fat and now they are getting in a position where the doctor is
telling them to loose weight. I'm still holding out at 175 pounds of
semi-toughness. Only as brave as I have to be, you know.

Joe Halbleib

Dec 23, 2003, 6:49:32 AM12/23/03

"Ken Marsh" <kma...@fellspt.charm.net> wrote in message

Aw... You stole my line!

Joe

SelwayKid

Dec 24, 2003, 5:59:08 AM12/24/03
rbs...@aol.com (Rich Stern) wrote in message news:<bs5k9s$7s7$1...@grapevine.wam.umd.edu>...

There is no doubt in my mind that physical fitness is absolutely
necessary not just for survival conditions, but for simple every day
life! I got shot all to hell nearly 20 years ago with 5 bullets in my
torso, one in my thigh, and one through my hand. Several doctors have
told me I should have died from at least three of those bullets and
also were in agreement that my great physical condition made a huge
difference. I agree in part but also attribute my mental attitude just
as important.
Even today I make an effort to eat right, exercise, and pay attention
to what I'm doing. Not as fast, can barely jump over a duplex, p more
often and sleep less, still love sushi and wild game meat. Ride my
bike 3-4 miles on gentle hills enough to make me breath hard, try to
run a mile each day on those same hills, and even work out my upper
body with some 10# weights to keep my shoulders from seizing up after
torn rotator surgery.
I think my mental attitude is obvious vis a vis my posts?!
When I was in competition shooting, good physical condition was almost
mandatory if you were going to be in contention after a full two days
of shooting. I was in good condition and in contention!
My wife kind of teases me about some of my preparations for potential
disaster or severe hardships but she also knows I am experienced in
that same area while she is not. Physical preparation? Damned right if
you want to lead any kind of happy life no matter if you are being
shot at or not! Simple weather can cause problems you never dreamed of
without giving it some thought.
Ol Shy & Bashful

J David Phillips

Dec 24, 2003, 6:00:04 AM12/24/03
"Charles Winters" <cha...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<bs84ed$84d$1...@grapevine.wam.umd.edu>...
[...]

I think I'll just let them come to me. I have the doughnuts.

J David
flm...@hotmail.com

Airborne Falcon

Dec 24, 2003, 6:00:27 AM12/24/03
Ouch Charles. This sounds like it will end-up being a better test for my
local medivac unit than for me. I'm not sure if they are Jungle Extractor
equipped but they would need to be to get me out of the woods about half way
through your test. Even if I made it, I would not be able to stand up
straight the next morning. Can we change this to a 20 mile bumpy dirt road
ride in an old 4 wheeler followed by a sleep and shoot at the cabin the next
morning?

Russ

"Charles Winters" <cha...@comcast.net> wrote in message

hike
twenty
and

Airborne Falcon

Dec 24, 2003, 6:00:30 AM12/24/03
David, you make a valid point here. That perhaps we are more willing or
able. maybe more prone, to use crippling or deadly force if we feel our
lives or family's lives are threatened? When you are younger you conceive
yourself as bullet proof to some extent, but also wary of repercussions
maybe? As we get older we understand the flaws inherent with age and thus
would react to gain the tactical or strategic upper-hand quickly so as not
to have to depend upon our aerobic limitations to see us or our loved ones
through threatening situations?

Russ

"David" <rust...@msn.com> wrote in message

Al

Dec 24, 2003, 6:00:31 AM12/24/03
rust...@msn.com (David) wrote in message news:<bs99vr$jvi$1...@grapevine.wam.umd.edu>...
# I will say that the years and my experiences have made me meaner and
# more aggressive toward people who are clear or potential threats and I
# am more confident in situations since it's not my first time anymore.

In other words, and as Jeff Cooper would say, you're becoming "an old
codger". :-)

Al

Miki Kanazawa

Dec 24, 2003, 6:00:46 AM12/24/03
# - set up camp, prepare meal, sleep on ground and wake up the next morning
# and assess your physical condition.

I would think this is at least 50% mental readiness as well as
physical. As a teen spending many nights in the mountains, a cold
night spent on a cold rock can destroy any notion of jumping out of
the sack and running drills.

Message has been deleted

Dale Glover

Dec 24, 2003, 9:04:29 PM12/24/03

In other words, and as Jeff Cooper would say, you're becoming "an old
# codger". :-)
#

# Al

Oh, I thought it was an old fa--, oh nevermind! I guess I are one!

Dale

NotClauswitz

Dec 24, 2003, 9:04:34 PM12/24/03
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:00:04 +0000 (UTC), flm...@hotmail.com (J David
Phillips) wrote:

## - Load up ruck with ammo, plus food and water for 3 days, sling the rifle
## over shoulder and leave roadhead/hit the dusty trail at first light and hike
## 20 miles to destination by sundown
## - set up camp, prepare meal, sleep on ground and wake up the next morning
## and assess your physical condition.
##
## If you can honestly say you are ready at that point to fight and win, I'd
## say you are combat ready and physically fit enough for just about any
## contingency. - CW
##

# I think I'll just let them come to me. I have the doughnuts.

#
#J David
#flm...@hotmail.com

I'd much rather do 80-miles off road on my KTM, and set up camp under
cover in a draw, where "they" have to come up through a line of
giveaways and alarms. That way I can sleep-in, and "they" can bring
ME breakfast...

If I hit the gas-stash waypoint on my GPS I can go 120 miles and
meet-up with the rest of the group. There are already plenty of
people up in the hills. Perimeter codeword, "Fools Gold."

C-ClassEnduroRider

enfant terrible

Dec 25, 2003, 9:50:20 AM12/25/03
kma...@fellspt.charm.net (Ken Marsh) wrote in message news:<bs84e4$849$1...@grapevine.wam.umd.edu>...
# Hi,
#
# Rich Stern <rbs...@aol.com> wrote:
# #How much is physical fitness a part of your preparedness routine?
#
# I'm not overweight. I am better prepared for prolonged cold water
# submersion.

Not to mention famine resistant.

powerlineman

Dec 26, 2003, 8:53:29 AM12/26/03
rbs...@aol.com (Rich Stern) wrote in message news:<bs5k9s$7s7$1...@grapevine.wam.umd.edu>...

I've enjoyed reading this thread. Myself, I have always been a long
distance runner and I do triathlons during the season, along with
buttloads of pushups, dips, pullups, etc. I get my shooting in when I
can mostly on off-days and weekends.
Personally, I have noticed when I look at my shooting logs and running
logs, my shooting performance improves with my running performance. My
concentration is better, breathing and muscle relaxation is better,
and my heart rate is slower.
And if my shooting isn't good enough, maybe I can outrun them.lol

Just $.02 from this dumb Jarhead

God Bless and Semper Fi,
Mac

Win your choice of Fulton Armory prize packages in MPFO's
rifle raffle and defend liberty at the same time! Details
http://www.direct-action.org

Kevin D. Snodgrass