Unusual colors

Karen Sexton

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

Hi all,

I've never posted here, so if these subjects have been discussed
please forgive me. I love odd colored roses and am having trouble
tracking some down.

1) I'm a fan of the Sterling Silver rose, but so far, have not been
able to get one to grow. (I'm in S. Calif.) The nursery here told me
Blue Moon is more disease-resistant, so I've planted it, and it's
doing well. I ran across a rose on a website called Stainless Steel.
Which would be the most silvery-looking of these? (Or any other
suggestions?)

2)I was going to ask about the black rose, but I see from other posts
that there is no such thing. So now I'd like to know what the
brownest rose would be? Whiskey Mac?

3)I also saw in a catalogue (and I threw it away, darn) a green rose.
It wasn't the St. Patrick's Day rose- it was *green*. Any ideas what
the name would be or where to get it?

4)Also, what is the purple-est rose? Purple Tiger, Big Purple or
Intrigue?

Thanks alot,
Karen
kse...@earthlink.net

"It's not my fault."--Han Solo

Rose Bud

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

> I ran across a rose on a website called Stainless Steel.

Stainless Steel is light ash grey here in North Alabama. Nice plant
with a decent repeat.

> 2)I was going to ask about the black rose, but I see from other posts
> that there is no such thing. So now I'd like to know what the
> brownest rose would be? Whiskey Mac?

Brownest one I've seen is Brown Velvet.

> 3)I also saw in a catalogue (and I threw it away, darn) a green rose.
> It wasn't the St. Patrick's Day rose- it was *green*. Any ideas what
> the name would be or where to get it?

Rosa chinensis viridiflora; R. Viridiflora; Rosa monstrosa; The Green
Rose
The ARS has it featured on it's web page:
http://www.ars.org/rose-dec96.html

> 4)Also, what is the purple-est rose? Purple Tiger, Big Purple or
> Intrigue?

Yes. Intrigue is darker than Big Purple, and also is quite fragrant.
Big Purple will give a lot more bloom through the summer. Purple Tiger
is striped and prone to blackspot quite badly. If you grow Purple
Tiger, do so in a half whiskey barrel - it does better in a large pot
than in the ground. Also give P T a couple years to get into full
swing.

Mel Hulse

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

In message <5gbasf$l...@chile.earthlink.net> - kse...@earthlink.net (Karen
Sexton) writes:
:>
:>Hi all,

:>
:>I've never posted here, so if these subjects have been discussed
:>please forgive me. I love odd colored roses and am having trouble
:>tracking some down.

Welcome!

:>3)I also saw in a catalogue (and I threw it away, darn) a green rose.

:>It wasn't the St. Patrick's Day rose- it was *green*. Any ideas what
:>the name would be or where to get it?

Amazingly, it's called 'The Green Rose' Not sure where to get it except
that we have it in the San Jose Heritage Rose garden having grown it from
a cutting from a friend.
--
Mel Hulse, Col. USAF (Ret'd)
Silicon Valley Rose Farmer

bugman

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97
to Mel Hulse

Mel Hulse wrote:

> In message <5gbasf$l...@chile.earthlink.net> - kse...@earthlink.net (Karen
> Sexton) writes:
> :>
> :>Hi all,
> :>
> :>I've never posted here, so if these subjects have been discussed
> :>please forgive me. I love odd colored roses and am having trouble
> :>tracking some down.
>
> Welcome!
>
> :>3)I also saw in a catalogue (and I threw it away, darn) a green rose.
> :>It wasn't the St. Patrick's Day rose- it was *green*. Any ideas what
> :>the name would be or where to get it?
>
> Amazingly, it's called 'The Green Rose' Not sure where to get it except
> that we have it in the San Jose Heritage Rose garden having grown it from
> a cutting from a friend.
***********************************
Mel:

Michael's Roses (Michae...@ns.net) in Sacramento should have The
Green Rose in its own roots. I have it and it is one of my favorite odd
colored roses. It seems like I always manage to win the Dowager Queen
trophy in our local shows with nice sprays of this rose.
--
Baldo Villegas (Bugman), Entomologist/ARS Consulting Rosarian
Orangevale, California

pet...@earthlink.net

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

Karen Sexton wrote:

> 1) I'm a fan of the Sterling Silver rose, but so far, have not been
> able to get one to grow. (I'm in S. Calif.) The nursery here told me
> Blue Moon is more disease-resistant, so I've planted it, and it's
> doing well. I ran across a rose on a website called Stainless Steel.
> Which would be the most silvery-looking of these? (Or any other
> suggestions?)

Sterling Silver will not grow and is a dog. Stainless Steel is more gray
than silvery. I grow in Southern Caliornia and my favorite "silvery"
rose is Silverado.

> 2)I was going to ask about the black rose, but I see from other posts
> that there is no such thing. So now I'd like to know what the
> brownest rose would be? Whiskey Mac?

You might consider Gingerbread Man which is a patio mini. Jactan aka
Butterscotch is a brown climber of note. I do not grow any brown roses
as I have not found any that really excite me.

> 3)I also saw in a catalogue (and I threw it away, darn) a green rose.
> It wasn't the St. Patrick's Day rose- it was *green*. Any ideas what
> the name would be or where to get it?

St. Patrick is a yellow rose with a green cast on the outer petals; the
green varies with the weather. The Green Rose is a botanic curiosity
(some say monstrosity) which is unlikely to be what you are looking for.

> 4)Also, what is the purple-est rose? Purple Tiger, Big Purple or
> Intrigue?

Intrigue is to my eye the most purple rose of these three. There are a
number of OGRs which are more purple.

Steven Cangemi

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

In article <5gbasf$l...@chile.earthlink.net>, kse...@earthlink.net (Karen
Sexton) wrote:

> 3)I also saw in a catalogue (and I threw it away, darn) a green rose.
> It wasn't the St. Patrick's Day rose- it was *green*. Any ideas what
> the name would be or where to get it?

Might you be talking about Rosa Chinensis Viridifolia or the Green Rose?
Rather than having green flowers I think it might be more accurate to say
it has degenerate petals. I saw it for the first time this past summer,
and didn't hate it nearly as much as I expected. It made an excellent,
potted novelty.

Several places carry it, including the Antique Rose Emporium.

> 4)Also, what is the purple-est rose?

I can't imagine a purpler rose than Cardinal Richelieu. It is stunningly
purple: disconcertingly purple.

--
Steven Cangemi
Annandale on Hudson

Karen Sexton

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

Thanks, all, for your answers to my questions. It seems I have weird
taste in roses. When I called my local nursery about the green rose,
he said, "Oh, how lovely...I think." Anyway- he had never heard of
it. BTW, I do like the pinks, yellows, reds, etc. We have those in
the back yard. I'm starting the "unusual colors" in the front yard.
I just hope the neighbors don't complain:-)

Karen

Donna Corner Holmes

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

pet...@earthlink.net (pet...@earthlink.net) wrote:
: Karen Sexton wrote:

: > 2)I was going to ask about the black rose, but I see from other posts

: > that there is no such thing. So now I'd like to know what the
: > brownest rose would be? Whiskey Mac?
: You might consider Gingerbread Man which is a patio mini. Jactan aka
: Butterscotch is a brown climber of note. I do not grow any brown roses
: as I have not found any that really excite me.

Gingerbread Man is really more of a gold-apricot than brown. Other
minis that are more brown are Teddy Bear, Copper Sunset, and I have one
from Justice called Latte that is really more tan than brown. If you
want an HT that is brown, I would suggest you try Julia's Rose. Mack
has a great picture of on one his website.
Donna Holmes de...@gorilla.nbn.com
SUMMARY INSIGHT Business Web Page under construction at
Marin County, CA http://www.nbn.com/people/holmes/summary.html

Mel Hulse

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

In message <5gdta3$o...@bolivia.earthlink.net> - kse...@earthlink.net (Karen
Sexton)Sat, 15 Mar 1997 10:57:13 GMT writes:
:>
:>
:>Thanks, all, for your answers to my questions. It seems I have weird
:>

BTW. The Green Rose gets its color by forming a flower from a large number of
sepals and no petals. There are several roses with blooms of petals that are
to a degree green. Greensleves blooms start out quite green and fade to a
gentle pink. Not at all a bad rose if you like unusual colors.

Donna Corner Holmes

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

Mel Hulse (melh...@netcom.com) wrote:

: BTW. The Green Rose gets its color by forming a flower from a large number of

: sepals and no petals. There are several roses with blooms of petals that are
: to a degree green. Greensleves blooms start out quite green and fade to a
: gentle pink. Not at all a bad rose if you like unusual colors.

The Greensleeves at the SJHRG is gorgeous. Makes me want one.

Tomasita R. Jacubowitz

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97
to pet...@earthlink.net

If you're looking for a brown rose, try "Distant Drums." This rose is a
modern shrub, hard to find, because brown is not very popular. But, I
think it blends great with both yellows and pinks. The rose has center
petals which are coppery-brown, and outer petals which are pinkish-purple.
Sounds weird I know. I saw it in "Rose Gardening" by Traditional Homes.
But, I have not been able to locate a source. Good Luck.

LnThomson

Mar 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/18/97

Distant Drums is available from HOGR - check the FAQ for phone and fax
numbers.

Lynn Thomson, San Antonio, Zone 8
http://www.txdirect.net/users/lthomson/roses.html

Arlie & Betsey Proctor

Mar 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/18/97

>Might you be talking about Rosa Chinensis Viridifolia or the Green Rose?
Rather than having green flowers I think it might be more accurate to
say
it has degenerate petals. I saw it for the first time this past summer,
and didn't hate it nearly as much as I expected. It made an excellent,
potted novelty.

Several places carry it, including the Antique Rose Emporium.

This is the old fashioned green rose. There is also an HT that's
yellow/green called St. Patrick that's being carried by several mail
order suppliers this year.

Mel Hulse

Mar 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/18/97

In message <19970318131...@ladder01.news.aol.com> - lnth...@aol.com
(LnThomson) writes:
:>
:>Distant Drums is available from HOGR - check the FAQ for phone and fax
:>numbers.

And it is in the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden if all else fails.

Donna Corner Holmes

Mar 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/18/97

Tomasita R. Jacubowitz (trja...@hamlet.uncg.edu) wrote:
: If you're looking for a brown rose, try "Distant Drums." This rose is a

Wayside carries it, if you're desperate enough to order from them.

Donna Corner Holmes

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

Donna Corner Holmes (de...@gorilla.nbn.com) wrote:

: Tomasita R. Jacubowitz (trja...@hamlet.uncg.edu) wrote:
: : If you're looking for a brown rose, try "Distant Drums." This rose is a
: : modern shrub, hard to find, because brown is not very popular. But, I
: : think it blends great with both yellows and pinks. The rose has center
: : petals which are coppery-brown, and outer petals which are pinkish-purple.
: : Sounds weird I know. I saw it in "Rose Gardening" by Traditional Homes.
: : But, I have not been able to locate a source. Good Luck.

: Wayside carries it, if you're desperate enough to order from them.

Now that I read this I think that may not be correct, but I'm too lazy
to check the catalog.

Sam McGredy

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97
to de...@gorilla.nbn.com

The only truly milk chocolate brown rose that I know is Hot Chocolate. It
really is that colour.

--
Sam McGredy OBN,
1A 75 Owens Rd.,

SusanKFord

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

> 4)Also, what is the purple-est rose?

My most purple roses are Cardinal de Richeleau, Zigunderknabe, Hyppolyte,
and Nuits de Young.

I have Big Purple, and it doesn't even come close...

Susan Ford
Norman, Oklahoma, USDA Zone 7a
http://www.clueless.norman.ok.us/sf/rerhome.htm (Under construction)

Steven Cangemi

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

In article <19970319144...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
susan...@aol.com (SusanKFord) wrote:

> > 4)Also, what is the purple-est rose?
>
> My most purple roses are Cardinal de Richeleau, Zigunderknabe, Hyppolyte,
> and Nuits de Young.

Saw Hippolyte at Mike Lowe's last year. It soared to the top of my wish
list. It is a sumptuous purple with a delightful green eye. Can anyone
help me with pronunciation? I have gone through several permutations. I
think my latest attempt is hi-po-leye-tee. That is short i, long o, lone
i, long e.

Another boss purple is Robert le Diable. It has a kind of sprawly habit.
I'd love to get one for my brother, Robert, but I fear it would not be
happy on Florida's "Sun Coast".

Sey12

Mar 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/20/97

Heirloom Old Garden Roses offers "Distant Drums" and "Brown Velvet." Both
are $10.95

Suzanne

domst...@aol.com

Mar 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/23/97

Heirloom Old Garden Roses has Distant Drums. And..as an added bonus, near the ennd of the catalog somewhere, they have a page of Roses of Unusual Colors. Can't find the catalog right now, but the phone Number is: (503) 538-1576.

Kathleen

Zone 6 - New Jersey

Karen Sexton

Mar 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/23/97

domst...@aol.com wrote:

>Kathleen

Thanks everyone, I've written down all of these varieties.

Kathleen Much

Mar 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/24/97

In article <cangemi-ya0230800...@news.mhv.net>,

Steven Cangemi <can...@mhv.net> wrote:
>Saw Hippolyte at Mike Lowe's last year. It soared to the top of my wish
>list. It is a sumptuous purple with a delightful green eye. Can anyone
>help me with pronunciation? I have gone through several permutations. I
>think my latest attempt is hi-po-leye-tee. That is short i, long o, lone
>i, long e.

It's French, so it ought to be EEP- o- LEET (stress on both first and
last syllables).

Kathleen Much, Editor |Email: kath...@casbs.stanford.EDU
CASBS, 202 Junipero Serra Blvd. |Phone: (415) 321-2052 x 325
Stanford, CA 94305 |Fax: (415) 321-1192

Purple Tiger z-5/6

Mar 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/24/97

In article <cangemi-ya0230800...@news.mhv.net>,
can...@mhv.net says...

>Saw Hippolyte at Mike Lowe's last year. It soared to the top of my wish
>list. It is a sumptuous purple with a delightful green eye. Can anyone
>help me with pronunciation? I have gone through several permutations. I
>think my latest attempt is hi-po-leye-tee.

EE-po-leet. H is silent in French. The last syllable also, since it does
not carry an accent. I don't know how to pronounce it in English! ;-)

--
"You are responsible for your rose..."

Katherine Y.
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL. USA
kyn...@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

Colette Tremblay

Mar 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/24/97

In article <cangemi-ya0230800...@news.mhv.net>,
can...@mhv.net (Steven Cangemi) wrote:

(edited)

> Saw Hippolyte at Mike Lowe's last year. It soared to the top of my wish
> list. It is a sumptuous purple with a delightful green eye. Can anyone
> help me with pronunciation? I have gone through several permutations. I

> think my latest attempt is hi-po-leye-tee. That is short i, long o, lone
> i, long e.

(Edited)

Hippolyte is pronounced Hee-po-LEET in French.

--
Colette Tremblay
Quebec QC Canada

Susan Ford

Mar 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/24/97

Colette Tremblay wrote:

> Hippolyte is pronounced Hee-po-LEET in French.

> How is it pronounced in Greek? That's where the name originates, from
the Greek myths.

--

Susan Ford
Norman, Oklahoma, USDA Zone 7a

http://www.clueless.norman.ok.us/sf/rerhome.htm (Under Construction)

Marianne Ahrne

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97
to can...@mhv.net

can...@mhv.net (Steven Cangemi) wrote:

>Saw Hippolyte at Mike Lowe's last year. It soared to the top of my wish
>list. It is a sumptuous purple with a delightful green eye. Can anyone
>help me with pronunciation? I have gone through several permutations. I
>think my latest attempt is hi-po-leye-tee. That is short i, long o, lone
>i, long e.

A fairly accurate French pronunciation would be "Ippolitt" with the
stress on the last syllable.

Marianne Ahrne (who used to teach French a very long time ago)

Charles Bigelow

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

In article <5hdeg3$13...@columba.udac.uu.se>, Marianne Ahrne
<mah...@csd.uu.se> wrote:

> can...@mhv.net (Steven Cangemi) wrote:
>
> >Saw Hippolyte at Mike Lowe's last year.... Can anyone

> >help me with pronunciation? I have gone through several permutations. I
> >think my latest attempt is hi-po-leye-tee. That is short i, long o, lone
> >i, long e.
> >
> A fairly accurate French pronunciation would be "Ippolitt" with the
> stress on the last syllable.
>
> Marianne Ahrne (who used to teach French a very long time ago)

Of course, we English speakers, need to be reminded that the French "i" is
pronounced more like our vowel spelled "ee" (or in many words, "ea"). We
want the vowel of "fleet", not "flit", of "heat", not "hit", of "leap",
not "lip".

So, "Eepoleet" might be a close approximation. A pronunciation that sounds
like "Hippo-Lit" would be less good.

-- Chuck Bigelow

pet...@earthlink.net

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

Charles Bigelow wrote:
> A pronunciation that sounds
> like "Hippo-Lit" would be less good.
It of course depends; such a pronunciation might be seen as descriptive
and explanatory of the still unanswered question from our friends down
under as to why so many of us US rosarians have ordered XL T-Shirts. Or
maybe not.

can...@mhv.net

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

In article <333702...@slackford.norman.ok.us>,

Susan Ford <susa...@slackford.norman.ok.us> wrote:

> Colette Tremblay wrote:
> >

> > Hippolyte is pronounced Hee-po-LEET in French.

> How is it pronounced in Greek? That's where the name originates, from
> the Greek myths.

Yes, a Greek pronunciation is what I was looking for. I've come up with
hi-pah'-li-tee.

It is interesting to note, that Hippolyte has been used as a masculine
name in France. Not one of your canonical names, I would say...

Steven Cangemi
Red Hook, New York

P-

Apr 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/16/97
to Marianne Ahrne

Marianne Ahrne wrote:

> can...@mhv.net (Steven Cangemi) wrote:
>
> >Saw Hippolyte at Mike Lowe's last year. It soared to the top of my wish
> >list. It is a sumptuous purple with a delightful green eye. Can anyone

> >help me with pronunciation? I have gone through several permutations. I
> >think my latest attempt is hi-po-leye-tee. That is short i, long o, lone
> >i, long e.
> >
> A fairly accurate French pronunciation would be "Ippolitt" with the
> stress on the last syllable.
>
> Marianne Ahrne (who used to teach French a very long time ago)

Actually it doesn't matter how it is pronounced in France as
it is not a French word.

HIPPOLYTE
Queen of the Amazons,whose girdle Hercules had to steal as part of his
Twelve Labours,and whom he slew in the act.

And I think Steven had it right to begin with :-)

P-

Marianne Ahrne

Apr 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/17/97
to scar...@niehs.nih.gov

It is a French rose with a French name, probably named for the hero
of Racine's Phedre. Even if it should be named after Hippolyte the
amazon, and not Hippolytos of Euripides' play Phaedra, the
pronunciation would be very different from "hipoleytee", in Greek
and in French. The initial "h" is mute in both languages. In Greek
the main stress falls on the antepaenultimate syllable, in French on
the last syllable. An English transcription of "i" as "ee" may be
correct for describing the quality of the vowels but not for the
quantity. In both Greek and French the vowels are shorter than an
"ee" suggests. In French the final "e" is mute.

Marianne

Stardog

Apr 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/20/97

Actually, Hippolyte was a fairly common name in France for women in the
17th and18th century and somewhat used in the 19th century (being a
genealogy bug and having looked at pages and pages of family baptismal
records in France, I can say that I have found so many ancestors named
Hippolyte Therese and Maire Hippolyte that it is incredible, so I have a
suspection that the rose was named after a French women and not one of the
characters from the classics or plays. At any rate, the rose is beautiful
and is almost a short, climbing rose for me and blooms only second to
Ispahan as so far as span of bloom is concerned of my old roses. It is
one of my favorites.