Game reviews Part I

torc...@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

Jul 25, 1989, 7:39:00 PM7/25/89

Since everybody at Dartmouth is writing a review, I guess I will too.

Super Mario Brothers I= Graphics=****1/2 (Out of five)
Sound=***
General=****1/2

This game is good. I highly recommend it for people who are just getting a
Nintendo. Even though it is not sold individually, or with a Nintendo anymore,
you can still get with the Power Set, or with the Action Set. But, it has it's
faults. The ending is not very good, and some of the mistakes you make you will
blame on the Nintend, and justly so. Around your character is a miniscule block
that is invisible. If a monster touches this block, you will either die, or
shrink. That can really get you down. But on the whole, it'll keep you busy.

Nintendo Tennis= Graphics=***
Sound=**
General=***1/2

Don't be fooled by the overall review. It is a pretty adictive game. As for
the sound, NES just isn't very prone to good sound producers. It costs the
least as I've ever seen for a Nintendo game, at a low $24.95. An all time
price low for Nintendo. But back to the review. The playability is good. Your
guy moves very smoothy, and you can't foot-fault. It comes with 1 or 2 player
capability, but 2 player is just doubles against the machine. I can understand
why it's not one on one because the 3-D of the size of the court getting
smaller near the end would be way too confusing. It has 5 levels of play that
you can select, but to win the trophy, you must defeat the sixth level. I'd
say that one should just rent it, or borrow it, and not buy it.

Zelda I= Graphics=****
Sound=***1/2 (Can get very annoying)
General=*****

This game is very good. A excellent addition to a Nintendo library. It
comes with it's unique Player Save feature, which is really needed. This game
goes basically beyond desciption. It's levels of play are well balanced,
there is even a second quest, and the puzzles filter out all the brainless
junkies who just play shoot 'em up games, or no-thinking games. When I say
that the sound gets annoying, it REALLY gets annoying. Endless monotonous
music (EMM) is included here. Some of the sounds are neat, though, but if I go
ahead and play it today, I just turn the sound all the way down and pop in a
good cassette. A must for people who like classics like ZORK with action.

Kid Icarus= Graphics=*****
Sound=****1/2
General=****3/4

This game is really fun. I mean REALLY fun. The graphics are well done, the
music is complex enough that you wouldn't consider it EMM, and the monsters
are accually based on Greek mythology. Medusa, Pandora, etc. This game also
comes with a handy Password feature, and keeps score of your points as well
as money, and meters of health, but to recieve a password, you have to pass
the first level. Which is just a very small part of a very difficult world.
I think a person should get it before Nintendo takes it off the shelves.

To Be Continued.