Finally, the First HDTV Game

1 view

QMan

May 1, 2002, 2:10:49 AM5/1/02
Xbox's Burnout... go here =>
http://www.acclaim.com/games/burnout/features/index.html

... first game to support 16:9 720p HDTV...

QMan

May 1, 2002, 2:12:43 AM5/1/02

"QMan" <em...@huh.huh> wrote in message

> Xbox's Burnout... go here =>
> http://www.acclaim.com/games/burnout/features/index.html
>
> ... first game to support 16:9 720p HDTV...

...supports 1080i too...

Hose

May 1, 2002, 2:19:07 AM5/1/02
The DD5.1 support looks like a big joke/gimmick though.

QMan

May 1, 2002, 2:20:06 AM5/1/02
how so?

"Hose" <du...@reideiantoshirubaagan.com> wrote in message

Rehan

May 1, 2002, 3:08:23 AM5/1/02

"Hose" <du...@reideiantoshirubaagan.com> wrote in message
> The DD5.1 support looks like a big joke/gimmick though.

All xbox games feature Dolby Digital 5.1 encoding for positional audio.

Rehan.

Shadow

May 1, 2002, 3:31:44 AM5/1/02

"QMan" <em...@huh.huh> wrote in message
> Xbox's Burnout... go here =>
> http://www.acclaim.com/games/burnout/features/index.html
>
> ... first game to support 16:9 720p HDTV...

Hmm...would this be a troll post? Crossposted, posted in newsgroups who
couldn't give a shit...yep, this be a troll post!

Zolgius

May 1, 2002, 5:39:09 AM5/1/02
Who cares?! Is the game good is what matters.

hands_over_ears

May 1, 2002, 7:51:53 AM5/1/02
Why would anyone but the Xbox NG care about this TROLL?

hands_over_ears

May 1, 2002, 7:52:56 AM5/1/02

"Rehan" <re...@spam-me-not-blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

ummmm........
I beg to differ.
About half of the Xbox games don't utilize the center channel.

> Rehan.

hands_over_ears

May 1, 2002, 7:53:44 AM5/1/02
Maybe now Gene Poole will understand why I responded to this asshole (QMan)
the way I did.

"Shadow" <pr...@vulva.cum> wrote in message

hands_over_ears

May 1, 2002, 7:55:43 AM5/1/02

"Zolgius" <Zol...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Who cares?! Is the game good is what matters.

Well considering the Xbox consumers are kind of hurting for games with good
compelling gameplay, they have to cling to features instead. BTW, features
that an extremely, extremely small percentage of gamers have.

Gabbagal

May 1, 2002, 8:33:32 AM5/1/02
> ummmm........
> I beg to differ.
> About half of the Xbox games don't utilize the center channel.

Then you need to think about changing your setup....

Gab

---

Standard63

May 1, 2002, 9:48:17 AM5/1/02
Zolgius <Zol...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3CA98828...@hotmail.com>...

I don't understand how they say it will support 1080i, and then later
down the list it says it runs at 640 x 480. Well, which is it?

I remember the game being ok on ps2, but the graphics were so bad it
was hard to see what was going on. Maybe it will be more fun in hirez.
But it seems like acclaim knows how to cash in on xbox if they manage
to add the hirez features and sell their games based on features
rather than games.

CygnusX-1

May 1, 2002, 12:24:35 PM5/1/02
Supporting HDTV won't help a boring game with mediocre grafix. BTW,
Billy Boy won't like the fact that you crossposted this to
"irrelevant" newsgroups.

Cygnus
The Bringer of Balance

hands_over_ears

May 1, 2002, 3:24:30 PM5/1/02
Whatever.
Are you saying that *all* Xbox games utilize the center channel?

"Gabbagal" <gabb...@y.a.ho.o.no.damn.spam.com.spam> wrote in message

hands_over_ears

May 1, 2002, 3:24:58 PM5/1/02
BTW, I would all but bet my house my setup is better than most gamers.

Rehan

May 1, 2002, 4:18:35 PM5/1/02

"hands_over_ears" <bwn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Well... I haven't really paid too much attention to the centre channel - I
have heard that there are some games that don't use it as you say, so maybe
I should have said that all games support at least 4.1 Audio!

Rehan.

Ransack The Elder

May 1, 2002, 5:04:02 PM5/1/02

"Hose" <du...@reideiantoshirubaagan.com> wrote in message
> The DD5.1 support looks like a big joke/gimmick though.

Why? 98% of Xbox games are in DD5.1.

Ransack The Elder

May 1, 2002, 5:04:41 PM5/1/02

"hands_over_ears" <bwn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

They don't need to use the center channel in order to be Dolby Digital.

Ransack The Elder

May 1, 2002, 5:05:20 PM5/1/02

> BTW, I would all but bet my house my setup is better than most gamers.

Why? Did you finally get rid of those crappy B&W (Bland & Worthless)
speakers?

hands_over_ears

May 1, 2002, 6:38:20 PM5/1/02
Then it's not true 5.1 audio.

"Ransack The Elder" <nom...@nospam.com> wrote in message

hands_over_ears

May 1, 2002, 6:38:48 PM5/1/02
Whatever you say all in one Wal-Mart shopper.

"Ransack The Elder" <nom...@nospam.com> wrote in message

hands_over_ears

May 1, 2002, 6:39:09 PM5/1/02
BULLSHIT!

"Ransack The Elder" <nom...@nospam.com> wrote in message

QMan

May 1, 2002, 9:38:13 PM5/1/02

"Standard63" <dax...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

It supports 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i... The game is mediocre by most
accounts... but for crying out loud, its the FIRST HDTV game... that
warrants a review...

The FIRST of everything is usually pretty important: first 5.1 cut scene
was important, etc...

Geeesh!!

hands_over_ears

May 1, 2002, 11:22:11 PM5/1/02
A boring game is a boring game no matter what features it supports trollboy.

"QMan" <em...@huh.huh> wrote in message

Hose

May 2, 2002, 5:37:20 AM5/2/02
No game I know has utilized it effectively, mostly because DD5.1 was
never meant for realtime encoding. Instead, you get sampled sounds
that are not very distinct.

I may be picking bones here, but if you have a high end setup (I've
spent years builting mine), I always play the games in regular stereo,
or maybe a DSP mode. Most of the time, the digital signal is just a
derivation of a stereo signal anyway (multiplexed, matrix'd,
whatever).

QMan

May 2, 2002, 7:51:58 AM5/2/02
Correct... it was boring on PS2, and will probably be boring on the Xbox and
GC... but at least it'll be an boring HDTV game...

How many boring HDTV games does the PS2 have????????

"hands_over_ears" <bwn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

hands_over_ears

May 2, 2002, 9:56:27 AM5/2/02
What kind of sound setup do you have?

BTW, you have to forgive QMan.
He clings to features in software instead of fun compelling gameplay.

"Hose" <du...@reideiantoshirubaagan.com> wrote in message

hands_over_ears

May 2, 2002, 9:58:15 AM5/2/02

> Correct... it was boring on PS2, and will probably be boring on the Xbox
and
> GC... but at least it'll be an boring HDTV game...
>
> How many boring HDTV games does the PS2 have????????

WHO CARES TROLLBOY!
Care to take a guess at how many people that own gaming systems in the world
on average own this technology? It's probably less than 2%.

Shinobi

May 2, 2002, 2:24:47 PM5/2/02

> Care to take a guess at how many people that own gaming systems in the
world
> on average own this technology? It's probably less than 2%.

Whow cares who doesn't have it? I do have it and that's all that matters to
me. The bar needs to be raised. If games are only made for the lowest common
denominator, guess what you get? Low quality. That's one reason I stopped
playing most PC games. If I had a highend graphics card, I still didn't get
better games because they were written to be "compatible". All that did was
hurt quality.

If you don't have HDTV, I'm sorry you don't. You are truly missing out on
some great television and I hope some great video games. But, don't try to
take the option away from me. High resolution gaming is the next big thing.

I'm not saying the game is any good. I haven't played it yet. If it's bad,
the HDTV support won't help it. However, it's still a milestone being the
first HDTV game. I'm sure the first color television program wasn't the best
show on TV (some Disney flick if I remember right), but, it was still a
milestone.

hands_over_ears

May 2, 2002, 3:42:44 PM5/2/02

"Shinobi" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "hands_over_ears" <bwn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Care to take a guess at how many people that own gaming systems in the
> world
> > on average own this technology? It's probably less than 2%.
>
> Whow cares who doesn't have it?

We are talking about a boring ass rehashed title here.
To cling to it having HDTV support when it doesn't change the fact it's a
subpar title is weak on QMan's part.

> I do have it and that's all that matters to
> me. The bar needs to be raised.

The bar isn't raise for the same reason PC games are written for the norm!
Most people just don't own this technology.

> If games are only made for the lowest common
> denominator, guess what you get?

We are talking console games here Shinobi, not PC games.

> Low quality. That's one reason I stopped
> playing most PC games.

Thanks for making my point for me.

> If I had a highend graphics card, I still didn't get
> better games because they were written to be "compatible".

That's only for people foolish enough to have to own the latest and greatest
in PC technology.
You are only making me out to be a genius. This is the same reason people
don't rush out and buy HDTV's. There just isn't enough use for them at this
time other than a few select channels and DVD's.

> All that did was
> hurt quality.

Only IYO.

> If you don't have HDTV,

I have 3 actually.

>I'm sorry you don't.

You're so considerate, thank you :)

> You are truly missing out on
> some great television and I hope some great video games. But, don't try to
> take the option away from me. High resolution gaming is the next big
thing.

I highly disagree with you or more people would be rushing out to buy multi
thousand dollar T.V.'s just to play video games.
The majority of online PC gamers don't rush out and buy the latest and
greatest in video or MHZ power. I know hundreds of PC gamers and almost
everyone in the 2 clans (group of online gamers I play with) I am apart of,
only 1 or 2 have highend PC's.

> I'm not saying the game is any good. I haven't played it yet. If it's bad,
> the HDTV support won't help it.

This is my point entirely and QMan knows the game is subpar, he is just
clinging to HDTV support because it's the only thing he can argue. He makes
an ass out of himself just to seek attention.

> However, it's still a milestone being the
> first HDTV game. I'm sure the first color television program wasn't the
best
> show on TV (some Disney flick if I remember right), but, it was still a
> milestone.

All in all though is a weak game is a weak game regardless of the features
it utilizes.

QMan

May 2, 2002, 6:33:36 PM5/2/02

"hands_over_ears" <bwn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

another non-response... I won that argument too!!!!!!!

Thanks...

Dusto

May 2, 2002, 8:00:32 PM5/2/02
I think you brought this up once before. Hands

I use a Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Theater 5.1 setup. (Which works just
fine becuase my room is small.) The only game I have played so far that
does not have a center channel is Tony Hawk 2x. And their box says it's in
Dolby Digital Surround, not DD 5.1.

Dusto

Dusto

May 2, 2002, 8:07:09 PM5/2/02
You are just saying that because you don't have it. If you did have it,
then send your set over to me. (Someone who does care about HDTV.)

Dusto

Shinobi

May 2, 2002, 8:47:07 PM5/2/02

> We are talking console games here Shinobi, not PC games.

The concept is the same. The Xbox is capable of HDTV and most games don't
support it. Thus, the games are kept to a low common denominator.

> That's only for people foolish enough to have to own the latest and
greatest
> in PC technology.
> You are only making me out to be a genius. This is the same reason people
> don't rush out and buy HDTV's. There just isn't enough use for them at
this
> time other than a few select channels and DVD's.

You are the most un-enthusiastic HDTV owner with whom I have ever spoken (or
typed). Tell me again why you bought yours. With all your talk about low
ownership, you sound like a broadcaster. It's the chicken and egg syndrome.
If they provide content, people will buy HDTV sets. Heck, just look at all
of us that bought when there wasn't any programming. Don't get me wrong
though. Despite your insistance, there is quite alot of HDTV to be watched.
Guess what? The more that comes out, the more HDTV sets are getting sold.

All of your arguments were used during the conversion to color TV. Guess
what? Color TV is the norm. Despite the nay sayers, the better product
won...just like DVD and just like HDTV is doing. Do you really feel that
NTSC is better than HDTV? Why so negative?

> > All that did was
> > hurt quality.
>
> Only IYO.

Absolutely, the graphics could have been much better if they would have used
the hardware available rather than the most common. That's why Xbox is
great. Each and everyone has HDTV support and the same video card.
Maximize...Maximize...Maximize.

> > If you don't have HDTV,
>
> I have 3 actually.

I have 2. I had a 3rd, but, I sold it so even more people could enjoy HDTV.
:)

> I highly disagree with you or more people would be rushing out to buy
multi
> thousand dollar T.V.'s just to play video games.
> The majority of online PC gamers don't rush out and buy the latest and
> greatest in video or MHZ power. I know hundreds of PC gamers and almost
> everyone in the 2 clans (group of online gamers I play with) I am apart
of,
> only 1 or 2 have highend PC's.

Playing games isn't the reason people bought regular TV's and it's not the
reason people buy HDTV's. But, once you own one or the other, you can also
play games. People aren't buying HDTV's for 1 reason:

1) Price

Each and every person that I have shown my HDTV's to have raved about the
quality. Everybody I have observed in stores have raved about the quality.
The only reason most of these people don't buy is price. It's the same
reason everybody doesn't drive a Mercedes...price. Do you really think
people drive a Toyota because it's better than a Mercedes?

> > However, it's still a milestone being the
> > first HDTV game. I'm sure the first color television program wasn't the
> best
> > show on TV (some Disney flick if I remember right), but, it was still a
> > milestone.
>
> All in all though is a weak game is a weak game regardless of the features
> it utilizes.

Like I said, it makes NO difference how good or bad the game is. It is still
the first HDTV game. Still first and still newsworthy.

What is your point in being negative? What does it hurt if this game (or any
other) allows a small group of HDTV owners to have something better than the
norm? Better is good right? How does complaining about a technology you own
get it to be more wide spread? Is your last name Sinclair?

QMan

May 2, 2002, 8:54:35 PM5/2/02
personally, I don't think hands has an HDTV set, let alone the 3 he says he
owns... I've had HDTV for 2 1/2 years, and nothing compares to HDTV
programming... simply breathtaking.

"Shinobi" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

hands_over_ears

May 3, 2002, 9:55:28 AM5/3/02
*sigh*
I guess I am going to have to take the time and go thru my library of games
and compile a list.

"Dusto" <dso...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

hands_over_ears

May 3, 2002, 10:18:56 AM5/3/02

"Shinobi" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "hands_over_ears" <bwn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > We are talking console games here Shinobi, not PC games.
>
> The concept is the same. The Xbox is capable of HDTV and most games don't
> support it. Thus, the games are kept to a low common denominator.
>
> > That's only for people foolish enough to have to own the latest and
> greatest
> > in PC technology.
> > You are only making me out to be a genius. This is the same reason
people
> > don't rush out and buy HDTV's. There just isn't enough use for them at
> this
> > time other than a few select channels and DVD's.
>
> You are the most un-enthusiastic HDTV owner with whom I have ever spoken
(or
> typed). Tell me again why you bought yours.

Because I am one of those people that just have to own everything I can
afford.
The other 2 I bought when I moved into my current home which has 6 more
rooms then my old home.
I was looking into buying a bunch of VVega's but realized for a couple
hundred more dollars I cant buy their XBR's.
So I bought a Sony 36inch XBR and a Panasonic Tau but I didn't like the XBR,
it was to small for the room it was in, so I took it back and went a little
over board and bought a Pioneer Elite.
Mainly I bought HDTV's because they said it was only a matter of time before
more and more stations start to use this technology and although this is
true, it seems to be taken a hell of a lot longer than I thought it would.

> With all your talk about low
> ownership, you sound like a broadcaster. It's the chicken and egg
syndrome.
> If they provide content, people will buy HDTV sets. Heck, just look at all
> of us that bought when there wasn't any programming. Don't get me wrong
> though. Despite your insistance, there is quite alot of HDTV to be
watched.
> Guess what? The more that comes out, the more HDTV sets are getting sold.

I think it has to do with the keeping up with the Jones as well though.
The more and more people buy them the more and more relatives, friends and
neighboors want one as well :)

> All of your arguments were used during the conversion to color TV. Guess
> what? Color TV is the norm.

That took a long time though and we are talking color not a broadcasting
signal.

> Despite the nay sayers, the better product
> won...just like DVD and just like HDTV is doing. Do you really feel that
> NTSC is better than HDTV? Why so negative?

I am only negative because I am tired of trolls crossposting horseshit that
have nothing to do with NG's other than the system it is being made for.
I enjoy my HDTV's to an extent and I also enjoy my surround sound systems
but I am content watching a brand new DVD on my 32 inch VVega in my den with
no surround sound.

> > > All that did was
> > > hurt quality.
> >
> > Only IYO.
>
> Absolutely, the graphics could have been much better if they would have
used
> the hardware available rather than the most common. That's why Xbox is
> great. Each and everyone has HDTV support and the same video card.
> Maximize...Maximize...Maximize.
> >

> > > If you don't have HDTV,
> >
> > I have 3 actually.
>
> I have 2. I had a 3rd, but, I sold it so even more people could enjoy
HDTV.
> :)

I am looking into buying a projector now!
We are having an addition done to our home and it is freeing up half of our
basement so I am going to build a new home theatre room.

> > I highly disagree with you or more people would be rushing out to buy
> multi
> > thousand dollar T.V.'s just to play video games.
> > The majority of online PC gamers don't rush out and buy the latest and
> > greatest in video or MHZ power. I know hundreds of PC gamers and almost
> > everyone in the 2 clans (group of online gamers I play with) I am apart
> of,
> > only 1 or 2 have highend PC's.
>
> Playing games isn't the reason people bought regular TV's and it's not the
> reason people buy HDTV's. But, once you own one or the other, you can also
> play games. People aren't buying HDTV's for 1 reason:

> 1) Price

The same reason die hard PC gamers don't update everytime something new
comes out.
That and the fact it's not really needed because very little uses the new
technology.

> Each and every person that I have shown my HDTV's to have raved about the
> quality.

Same here but most of my friends fall back on the same reason not to buy
one.
Price and not enough reasons currently to own one.
Most all of my friends are die hard gamers that own an Xbox as well as all
the other systems and they can all afford one if they choose to do so.
They just feel at this time it's a waste although a 1 friend of mine did
break down and buy one last week.

> Everybody I have observed in stores have raved about the quality.
> The only reason most of these people don't buy is price. It's the same
> reason everybody doesn't drive a Mercedes...price. Do you really think
> people drive a Toyota because it's better than a Mercedes?

My wife traded in her Toyota Camry to buy a Lexus and I feel they are
basically the same exact car.
Even my friend who owns the dealership told her that but she still had to
have one but we are talking a female here so I guess it's not relevant to
the conversation.
They spend just to spend.
It's their addiction.

> > > However, it's still a milestone being the
> > > first HDTV game.

A very small milestone.
It would have had serious impact if it was a big selling title like the new
Madden or NFL2K2.

>>I'm sure the first color television program wasn't the
> > best
> > > show on TV (some Disney flick if I remember right), but, it was still
> > > milestone.
> >
> > All in all though is a weak game is a weak game regardless of the
features
> > it utilizes.
>
> Like I said, it makes NO difference how good or bad the game is. It is
still
> the first HDTV game. Still first and still newsworthy.

On a Xbox newsgroup...?
Yes!
Crossposted to all other newsgroup by a known fuckwit troll?
No!

> What is your point in being negative?

If this wasn't crossposted to every other newsgroup I wouldn't have said a
word....................X-Strike That-X!
If this wasn't written by that fuckwit troll QMan/Zman/Fuckwit Trollboy, I
wouldn't have been negative towards this.

hands_over_ears

May 3, 2002, 10:20:59 AM5/3/02
You're right fuckwit, I don't own 3 sound systems either.
You busted me loser.
I'm so ashamed.

I don't think you even own an Xbox asshole.
You just come here to seek attention but what usually happens is you get
bitch slapped all over Usenet. Haven't you noticed that even the Xbox
supporters don't back you? That speaks volumes troll.

hands_over_ears

May 3, 2002, 10:21:29 AM5/3/02

hands_over_ears

May 3, 2002, 10:24:46 AM5/3/02
No!
I'm saying this because I'm tired of loser fuckwit trolls like QMan who
changes their names every week because of the bitch slapping they endure
from their trolling. This particular asshole doesn't even own an Xbox.

This game that will supposedly support ( until it actually comes out I wont
say it does ) this technology sucks! If it was a big market gotta have title
this would be HUGE news but not to newsgroups other than the Xbox.

QMan

May 3, 2002, 8:02:14 PM5/3/02
you should have started your post with "Once upon a time, in the fantasy
world within hand's mind... blah, blah, blah..." you are spewing a fairy
tail man!!!

Pee-Wee

May 4, 2002, 3:33:33 AM5/4/02
nope it isn't.. the PS2's tekken 4 demo is the first

hands_over_ears

May 4, 2002, 7:33:14 AM5/4/02

> you should have started your post with "Once upon a time, in the fantasy
> world within hand's mind... blah, blah, blah..." you are spewing a fairy
> tail man!!!

Jealousy will eat you up trollboy.
I know flipping burgers @ Burger King will never get you in life what I
have.
Poor kid.
Tell mommy to raise her prices from a buck a turn to a buck & a 1/2!

QMan

May 4, 2002, 7:47:55 AM5/4/02
tekken 4 supports only 480p, NOT 720p...

"Pee-Wee" <Iknowyouar...@huhai.com> wrote in message

Shinobi

May 4, 2002, 9:05:09 AM5/4/02
"Pee-Wee" <Iknowyouar...@huhai.com> wrote in message
> nope it isn't.. the PS2's tekken 4 demo is the first

Since when does 480p = HDTV? It's not.

guy-jin

May 4, 2002, 3:40:17 PM5/4/02
"QMan" <em...@huh.huh> wrote in message news:<SCLz8.103103$tt4.6...@e3500-atl2.usenetserver.com>...
> Xbox's Burnout... go here =>
> http://www.acclaim.com/games/burnout/features/index.html
>
> ... first game to support 16:9 720p HDTV...

nope. First was Hi-bomberman, for the NEC PC-FX. Sorry.

QMan

May 4, 2002, 6:12:34 PM5/4/02

"guy-jin" <gu...@usa.net> wrote in message

was that a console game? we are talking about console games!!!!! what
newsgroup are you in???????

hands_over_ears

May 4, 2002, 9:22:11 PM5/4/02
Maybe if you didn't crosspost to every fucking Newsgroup on the planet you
would know where he was writing this from JACKASS!

"QMan" <em...@huh.huh> wrote in message

Tim Delaney

May 4, 2002, 10:01:45 PM5/4/02
Hmmmmm. since the PS2 does not support HDTV, this will be really cool to
see. Why do PS2 people feel the need to bash the XBox? Penis envy?

guy-jin

May 4, 2002, 10:02:16 PM5/4/02
"QMan" <em...@huh.huh> wrote in message news:<3TYA8.31782$tT1.24...@e3500-atl1.usenetserver.com>...

> "guy-jin" <gu...@usa.net> wrote in message
> > "QMan" <em...@huh.huh> wrote in message
> > > Xbox's Burnout... go here =>
> > > http://www.acclaim.com/games/burnout/features/index.html
> > >
> > > ... first game to support 16:9 720p HDTV...
> >
> > nope. First was Hi-bomberman, for the NEC PC-FX. Sorry.
>
> was that a console game?

Yes. NEC made a videogame console in 1996 called the PC-FX.
It looked more like a PC than a traditional console, hence
the name. more info: www.pcenginefx.com

> we are talking about console games!!!!! what newsgroup are you in???????

rec.games.video.sega.

Raymond McKeithen II

May 4, 2002, 10:40:38 PM5/4/02

"Tim Delaney" <timde...@attbi.com> wrote in message

> Hmmmmm. since the PS2 does not support HDTV, this will be really cool to
> see.

It supports 480p whether you choose to believe it or not.

> Why do PS2 people feel the need to bash the XBox? Penis envy?

Because it's a piece of shit?
Hard to be envious of a hunk of plastic with no games to play...

Why do "Xbox people" say things like the first line above, when it's clear
they have no clue what they're talking about?

Raymond McKeithen II

May 4, 2002, 10:44:56 PM5/4/02

"guy-jin" <gu...@usa.net> wrote in message

"QMan" is a clueless troll, but you're not quite right here either...

Hi-Ten Bomberman was not a PC-FX game, and was not a commercial product. It
ran on a modified PC-Engine (maybe plus some other hardware) and was part of
a traveling exhibit, perhaps one of those "Summer Carnival" contests Hudson
held in Japan. I believe it supported 10 players.

In fact, there's no Bomberman game on the PC-FX at all so far as I recall.

Saturn Bomberman in the 10-player mode is probably based on Hi-Ten
Bomberman; hence it runs in a letterboxed mode to replicate the 16x9 aspect
ratio.

QMan

May 5, 2002, 8:06:29 AM5/5/02
the only newsgroups this was posted to was Console groups... duh!!

"hands_over_ears" <bwn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Dean Siren

May 4, 2002, 11:46:58 PM5/4/02
>> > ... first game to support 16:9 720p HDTV...
>>
>> nope. First was Hi-bomberman, for the NEC PC-FX. Sorry.
>
> was that a console game? we are talking about console games!!!!! what
> newsgroup are you in???????

PC-FX is a game console. Have you heard of Turbografx? In Japan, that series
of consoles was called PC Engine. The CD/cartrige combo was PC Engine Duo, and
the 32 bit version was PC-FX, and from the post above I guess it ran on Japan's
old version of HDTV. In Japan, few people own real PCs and they consider game
consoles to be serious technology for the whole family, so they call their
consoles Personal Computers or Family Computers.

Dean Siren

May 4, 2002, 11:49:08 PM5/4/02
> "QMan" is a clueless troll, but you're not quite right here either...
>
> Hi-Ten Bomberman was not a PC-FX game, and was not a commercial product. It
> ran on a modified PC-Engine (maybe plus some other hardware) and was part of
> a traveling exhibit, perhaps one of those "Summer Carnival" contests Hudson
> held in Japan. I believe it supported 10 players.
>
> In fact, there's no Bomberman game on the PC-FX at all so far as I recall.
>
> Saturn Bomberman in the 10-player mode is probably based on Hi-Ten
> Bomberman; hence it runs in a letterboxed mode to replicate the 16x9 aspect
> ratio.

Saturn Bomberman ran in 320x240 and 640x480. I never saw it in letterboxed mode.

hands_over_ears

May 5, 2002, 11:45:41 AM5/5/02
It only belonged on the Xbox Newsgroup you lowlife dipshit attention seeking
TROLL.

"QMan" <em...@huh.huh> wrote in message

Pee-Wee

May 6, 2002, 2:31:02 PM5/6/02
Your point?

tekken 4 is still the first.. and on a system that everyone said couldn't do
it.

LAA LAA LAA LA LAAAA LAAAA

"QMan" <em...@huh.huh> wrote in message

Pee-Wee

May 6, 2002, 2:31:42 PM5/6/02
can you say

component cables?

Robert P Holley

May 6, 2002, 3:01:33 PM5/6/02
"Raymond McKeithen II" <rfmc...@suchiepaijas.net> wrote in message

> "Tim Delaney" <timde...@attbi.com> wrote in message
> > Hmmmmm. since the PS2 does not support HDTV, this will be really cool
> > see.
>
> It supports 480p whether you choose to believe it or not.
>
> > Why do PS2 people feel the need to bash the XBox? Penis envy?
>
> Because it's a piece of shit?
> Hard to be envious of a hunk of plastic with no games to play...

And you know about its games how? First hand knowledge? I didn't think so.

Trolling isn't becoming of you Raymond.

> Why do "Xbox people" say things like the first line above, when it's clear
> they have no clue what they're talking about?

Probably the same reason you chime in about its games when you have
absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Does the word hypocrisy mean
anything to you?

James Adams

May 6, 2002, 4:12:55 PM5/6/02

> Then it's not true 5.1 audio.

Agreed - Dolby Digital and 5.1 are two different things.

You can have 5.1 that isn't DD (DTS)

You can also have DD that isn't 5.1 (loads of stereo DVDs, e.g. The A-Team)

Shinobi

May 6, 2002, 6:58:27 PM5/6/02
"Pee-Wee" <Iknowyouar...@huhai.com> wrote in message
> nope it isn't.. the PS2's tekken 4 demo is the first

Truly spoken like somebody without an HDTV set and one who know nothing
about HDTV. Rumor has it that Tekken 4 will support progressive scan. This
is *NOT* the same as HDTV. Tekken 4's progressive scan support is what is
known as 480p. That means that all 480 visible lines will get displayed all
at once as opposed to interlaced (240 at a time). This is standard
definition TV.

HDTV would be 720p or 1080i. Neither of which is supported by Tekken 4.
However, Burnout is rumored to support 720p and 1080i which are HDTV. That
would make Burnout the 1st to support HDTV now wouldn't it.

On the other hand, Burnout is released and everybody say's that there is no
HDTV support. So, there is yet to be a 1st game to support HDTV.

Shinobi

May 6, 2002, 7:00:13 PM5/6/02

> Your point?
>
> tekken 4 is still the first.. and on a system that everyone said couldn't
do
> it.
>
> LAA LAA LAA LA LAAAA LAAAA

And so far, it still can't. Once again, 480p is not HDTV. Besides, I've yet
to see Tekken provide said progressive scan. I'm all for it if it does as I
like Tekken. However, other games for the PS2 have claimed this and failed.
In reality, only the Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Xbox have so far delivered any
progressive scan games.

Steven Hurdle

May 7, 2002, 4:12:16 AM5/7/02
On Wed, 1 May 2002, hands_over_ears wrote:

>BTW, I would all but bet my house my setup is better than most gamers.

It's better than mine, my Dreamcast and Xbox are being played on a
Commodore 1084 monitor, and using it through the composite inputs only
since I don't have the proper cabling to take advantage of RGB! :/

|||Steven Hurdle|||

Steven Hurdle

May 7, 2002, 4:36:39 AM5/7/02
On Wed, 1 May 2002, QMan wrote:

>It supports 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i... The game is mediocre by most
>accounts... but for crying out loud, its the FIRST HDTV game... that
>warrants a review...
>
>The FIRST of everything is usually pretty important: first 5.1 cut scene
>was important, etc...

I agree, in that there will be a certain percentage of people (however
small) who're willing to pick this up just for the experience of playing a
game in HDTV resolutions at a 16:9 aspect ratio. This game is significant
even if only to spur other developers into supporting HDTV resolutions.
Those who say that supporting HDTV resolutions is a silly reason to
purchase a game have a point, but if the cost of the game is worth it from
a taking-advantage-of-my-big-expensive-HDTV-set point of view then there's
no reason to criticise that. The amount of money they'll drop on the
game is nothing compared to what they spent on the set, and if it enhances
their enjoyment of their sizable investment in the set then more power to
them.

Much is made of how few people have HDTV sets, but let's not forget
that these people tend to have $$$! Unlike me, who has neither an HDTV
set nor money burning a hole in my pocket. :)

|||Steven Hurdle|||

Brandon Fisher

May 7, 2002, 7:23:49 PM5/7/02

"Steven Hurdle" <ya...@victoria.tc.ca> wrote in message

> On Wed, 1 May 2002, QMan wrote:
>
> >It supports 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i... The game is mediocre by most
> >accounts... but for crying out loud, its the FIRST HDTV game... that
> >warrants a review...
> >
> >The FIRST of everything is usually pretty important: first 5.1 cut scene
> >was important, etc...
>
> I agree, in that there will be a certain percentage of people (however
> small) who're willing to pick this up just for the experience of playing a
> game in HDTV resolutions at a 16:9 aspect ratio. This game is significant
> even if only to spur other developers into supporting HDTV resolutions.

Not really, since this game doesn't support them, either. The only thing
this is a "first" for is that it's the first game to SAY it supports HDTV.