Official system sales in US up to date

Raist3d

Apr 2, 2002, 1:42:55 PM4/2/02
Saw this at voodooextreme, but I guess the link doesn't work anymore:

Here's the link:

http://www.geocities.com/libre_voix/CSFB_WEEKLYSALES0323.pdf

Voodooextreme excerpt:

-------------8< cut here

The weekly Credit Suisse First Boston report for the period of 3/17
through 3/23 (Adobe .PDF) has been posted on the net. The report
gives details for investors on just how publishers and console makers
are doing in the US market, minus the spin. It appears that all 3
home consoles are still selling at or above expectations.

GBA - 100,000 units, installed base at 5,814,000
Playstation 2 - 63,000 units, installed base at 8,267,000 units
Xbox - 30,000 units, installed base at 1,766,000 units
GameCube - 28,000 units this week, installed base at 1,457,000 units

--------------8< CUT HERE

Victor Ireland, if you read this, care to share your thoughts on
this? This is not flame-bait, I always enjoy your insighfull
commentary as a game dev.

I thought the Xbox would be selling better, makes me wonder if the
"initial Xbox frenzy" has died.

- Raist

Nick Zitzmann

Apr 2, 2002, 3:49:02 PM4/2/02
In article <e0a0d5a3.02040...@posting.google.com>,
rai...@hotmail.com (Raist3d) wrote:

> Voodooextreme excerpt:
>
> -------------8< cut here
>

> GBA - 100,000 units, installed base at 5,814,000
> Playstation 2 - 63,000 units, installed base at 8,267,000 units
> Xbox - 30,000 units, installed base at 1,766,000 units
> GameCube - 28,000 units this week, installed base at 1,457,000 units
>
> --------------8< CUT HERE
>
> Victor Ireland, if you read this, care to share your thoughts on
> this? This is not flame-bait, I always enjoy your insighfull
> commentary as a game dev.
>
> I thought the Xbox would be selling better, makes me wonder if the
> "initial Xbox frenzy" has died.

According to some of the news sources I've read, including the Register,
the XBox has sold well domestically but not internationally:

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/24630.html>
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/24592.html>

Nick Zitzmann
ICQ: 22305512
mailto:&#110;&#105;&#99;&#107;&#122;&#109;&#97;&#110;&#64;&#109;&#97;
&#99;&#46;#99;&#111;&#109;
(try using that URL in your Web browser to E-Mail me)

Check out my software page: http://homepage.mac.com/nickzman/

Victor Ireland

Apr 2, 2002, 6:31:05 PM4/2/02
In article <e0a0d5a3.02040...@posting.google.com>, rai...@hotmail.com says...

> The weekly Credit Suisse First Boston report for the period of 3/17
> through 3/23 (Adobe .PDF) has been posted on the net. The report
> gives details for investors on just how publishers and console makers
> are doing in the US market, minus the spin. It appears that all 3
> home consoles are still selling at or above expectations.
>
> GBA - 100,000 units, installed base at 5,814,000
> Playstation 2 - 63,000 units, installed base at 8,267,000 units
> Xbox - 30,000 units, installed base at 1,766,000 units
> GameCube - 28,000 units this week, installed base at 1,457,000 units
>
> --------------8< CUT HERE
>
> Victor Ireland, if you read this, care to share your thoughts on
> this? This is not flame-bait, I always enjoy your insighfull
> commentary as a game dev.
>
> I thought the Xbox would be selling better, makes me wonder if the
> "initial Xbox frenzy" has died.
>
> - Raist

XBOX was all about the launch. Actually, I've said it a number of times...XBOX did better
and Gamecube worse at launch than I expected. Looking at the next 9 months, I expect XBOX to
continue falling off and Gamecube to pick up steam once they actually start releasing games
we want to play instead of crap and ports. The only thing that's 100% certain is that Sony
has won this generation with PS2. They cannot be caught at this point. And the key thing to
remember is that the player that gets their network infrastructure working best this
generation will OWN the next generation, too. This gen is the staging area for connectivity
- the next gen's key feature.

- Vic

--
Don't Believe the Hype -
Vic

<@--Captain Universe--@>

Apr 2, 2002, 7:02:37 PM4/2/02
*OK people ready the analyze beam........Ready....FIRE!!!!*

"Victor Ireland"
says...

> XBOX was all about the launch. Actually, I've said it a number of
times...XBOX did better
> and Gamecube worse at launch than I expected.

***According to the Official Numbers. The Launch numbers between the two
were very marginal. ***

Looking at the next 9 months, I expect XBOX to
> continue falling off and Gamecube to pick up steam once they actually
start releasing games
> we want to play instead of crap and ports.

****I agree. Unless the XBOX gets more quality games, it will fall like the
Atari Jaguar.***

The only thing that's 100% certain is that Sony
> has won this generation with PS2.
They cannot be caught at this point.

****Sony only won the previous Generation which was lead by the Sega
Dreamcast for a long time. Otherwise there wouldn't be talks about a PS3 so
soon in the race.****

And the key thing to
> remember is that the player that gets their network infrastructure working
best this
> generation will OWN the next generation, too. This gen is the staging
area for connectivity

****Not necessarily. The network is only good if a number of 1st, 2nd & 3rd
parties get their games Net ready for the infrastructure. Again, the Quality
of the Games is key here too. So it all boils down to great games, not
hardware.****

*Cut the beam!! IIIIIII....think we overkilled it a little, oh well.*
--
<<<<<<<<<-------------------
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<----------------

Jonathan Timar

Apr 2, 2002, 7:22:34 PM4/2/02
> ****Sony only won the previous Generation which was lead by the Sega
> Dreamcast for a long time. Otherwise there wouldn't be talks about a PS3
so
> soon in the race.****

The Playstation and the Dreamcast were not the same Generation. Playstation
and Saturn where of the same Generation.

ScottX

Apr 2, 2002, 11:01:55 PM4/2/02

"Victor Ireland" <vire...@nospam.com> wrote in message
> XBOX was all about the launch. Actually, I've said it a number of
times...XBOX did better
> and Gamecube worse at launch than I expected. Looking at the next 9
months, I expect XBOX to
> continue falling off and Gamecube to pick up steam once they actually
start releasing games
> we want to play instead of crap and ports. The only thing that's 100%
certain is that Sony
> has won this generation with PS2. They cannot be caught at this point.
And the key thing to
> remember is that the player that gets their network infrastructure working
best this
> generation will OWN the next generation, too. This gen is the staging
area for connectivity
> - the next gen's key feature.
>
> - Vic

I totally agree with this.

ScottX

Apr 2, 2002, 11:14:10 PM4/2/02

"<@--Captain Universe--@>" <cap_un...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> *OK people ready the analyze beam........Ready....FIRE!!!!*
>

> "Victor Ireland"
> says...
>
> > XBOX was all about the launch. Actually, I've said it a number of
> times...XBOX did better
> > and Gamecube worse at launch than I expected.
>
> ***According to the Official Numbers. The Launch numbers between the two
> were very marginal. ***

He's just saying that he had expected the Cube to do better and the Xbox to
do worse.

> Looking at the next 9 months, I expect XBOX to
> > continue falling off and Gamecube to pick up steam once they actually
> start releasing games
> > we want to play instead of crap and ports.
>
> ****I agree. Unless the XBOX gets more quality games, it will fall like
the
> Atari Jaguar.***

Actually, I think the Xbox has a great chance of building itself a
niche. I've never heard as many non-gamers or formerly exclusive PC gamers
drool over a console as much as they do for the Xbox. It's just a question
of whether it will receive the support it needs to get that niche.

> The only thing that's 100% certain is that Sony
> > has won this generation with PS2.
> They cannot be caught at this point.
>
> ****Sony only won the previous Generation which was lead by the Sega
> Dreamcast for a long time. Otherwise there wouldn't be talks about a PS3
so
> soon in the race.****

The Dreamcast had sold about 3.5 million, in the last press release,
from 9-9-99 to 9-2001, the PS2 has sold over 7.5 million from 10.2000 to
4.2002. That's over twice as many units in half a year's less time, and
that's only in the US. The US was where the DC was selling best worldwide
where it sold through about 10 million. The PS2 has easily sold through 20
million world wide.
Besides that, the DC started *this* generation of gaming, in absolutely
every way, Sega just didn't have the funding to keep it going. Announcing
the PS3 is just another in a long list of weird things Sony's been doing.
Sony's been doing all kinds of "wrong" things with the PS2, and it hasn't
hurt them one damn bit.

http://www.geocities.com/weaponx013/PS2success.htm

> And the key thing to
> > remember is that the player that gets their network infrastructure
working
> best this
> > generation will OWN the next generation, too. This gen is the staging
> area for connectivity
>
> ****Not necessarily. The network is only good if a number of 1st, 2nd &
3rd
> parties get their games Net ready for the infrastructure. Again, the
Quality
> of the Games is key here too. So it all boils down to great games, not
> hardware.****

The hardware has to sell with network support before developers will
make games for it. There also has to be a little extra cost for them to
integrate online gameplay in their game, meaning a proprietary network of
some sort. Get such a network up and running well this generation,
especially if you can get a significant number of people to actually use it
too, and next generation all you have to do is include a networking device
in your hardware and you've got it made. Online gaming *will* be that
important in the next generation. There's nothing more they can do with the
graphics due to the average consumer owning NTSC televisions.

SSJ4Eric

Apr 3, 2002, 2:01:28 PM4/3/02

"Victor Ireland" <vire...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Good call. Plain and Simple.

Eric Kilian

Apr 5, 2002, 2:21:54 AM4/5/02
Raist3d wrote:

> Saw this at voodooextreme, but I guess the link doesn't work anymore:
>
> Here's the link:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/libre_voix/CSFB_WEEKLYSALES0323.pdf
>
> Voodooextreme excerpt:
>
> -------------8< cut here
>
> The weekly Credit Suisse First Boston report for the period of 3/17
> through 3/23 (Adobe .PDF) has been posted on the net. The report
> gives details for investors on just how publishers and console makers
> are doing in the US market, minus the spin. It appears that all 3
> home consoles are still selling at or above expectations.
>
> GBA - 100,000 units, installed base at 5,814,000
> Playstation 2 - 63,000 units, installed base at 8,267,000 units
> Xbox - 30,000 units, installed base at 1,766,000 units
> GameCube - 28,000 units this week, installed base at 1,457,000 units
>
> --------------8< CUT HERE
>
> Victor Ireland, if you read this, care to share your thoughts on
> this? This is not flame-bait, I always enjoy your insighfull
> commentary as a game dev.

With all due respect, who is Victor Ireland?

BelPowerslave

Apr 5, 2002, 11:46:16 AM4/5/02

> With all due respect, who is Victor Ireland?

Head of Working Designs. www.workingdesigns.com

Bel

--

Whip Ass Gaming: http://users2.ev1.net/~belpowerslave/

"At one time you used proudly to say: 'The League of the Scarlet Pimpernel
has never failed'."

- Sir Percy Blakeney in I Will Repay

Sabin

May 23, 2002, 1:19:28 AM5/23/02
On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 18:02:37 -0600, "<@--Captain Universe--@>"
<cap_un...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>****Sony only won the previous Generation which was lead by the Sega
>Dreamcast for a long time. Otherwise there wouldn't be talks about a PS3 so
>soon in the race.****

Funny thing is that there was a1995 press release from Sony saying
that the PS2 would be available by 1997 and they were saying it would
have been as powerful as the actual PS2 that was released in 2001. Its
called building hype and all game manufacturers do it. At least this
time sony is semi realistic in their estimates (2005 release) but i
doubt that it will be 200 times more powerful than any system
currently available (25 billion polys a second just seems a little
excessive to me considering that would be like rendering the final
fantasy movie in real time)