Steve's impressions on random Genesis games

Etti...@hotmail.com

Aug 15, 2006, 6:37:05 PM8/15/06
It is now my mission to play the 130+ Genesis games I have accumulated
since February 2006, and I thought I'd post thoughts on each game in
one thread. I welcome feedback, but request you all to refrain from
starting impressions on games I have yet to get to. If you really
want, go for it, I will not be offended but it would just be a nice
show of respect to me if you refrain. At the end, whatever games I
don't get to, feel free to then write a quick review on title X.

I'll post anywhere from 5-10 games per post, as to keep things moving
and offer plenty of feedback. I won't get to all 130+ games I own (as
some are RPG's) but I will try to get to hopefully over 100
impressions. This may take a few months. Let's begin...

B.O.B
EA's platformer blaster featuring an ant-like robot teen who borrowed
his dad's car to go to his hot date. He crashes into an asteroid and
finds himself stranded on a hostile planet. Through 3 planets, 45
levels and many deadly enemies and bosses you must guide BOB. I beat
the SNES version and really enjoyed it. I read the GEN version was
even better but after playing both I can't understand who could ever
think that. The controls for the GEN version are far too loose and
later on in the game (i.e. level 17 or so) the looseness ends up
killing you or zapping away precious energy. The sound is not as good
and the graphics took a severe hit. From the somewhat bright and
pleasant pastel-y look of the SNES version, the Genesis version is
muddy and washed out. It took away from the appeal of the game.
Overall, it's plagued by the bad controls. If you have a SNES I
recommend checking out BOB as it's a sleeper hit and quite
fun/addicting. I was disappointed with the Genesis version.

Castlevania: Bloodlines
It took me a while to get into this, but I did. I liked the 2
character choices but I hate the password system. So I made it to the
Factory stage but when I later used the password I found out it kept my
0 lives, and so when I died, I game over'ed. I had to go back and redo
the game to make sure I had all my lives to give me a chance. I hate
that! Maybe it's just me though. I do like the feel of the game
though, it is bloody and morbid.

DecapAttack
Finally got around to playing this after getting the 3-button
controller. My 1st play I was very impressed with it. I thought the
graphics were great and the gameplay solid. I then read some subpar
reviews on it, and it made me re-evaluate the game. On my 2nd go,
somehow the graphics didn't seem as impressive, and the gameplay seemed
less fun. I made it to the 2nd level frog boss and that's as far as
I've gone. No password system! A definite pet peeve of mine.
Overall, this is a solid game, but don't expect anything earth-shaking.
I like Chuck the character though, I just hate the cheap hits you
sometimes absorb, especially after making a long jump and an enemy is
right there.

Forgotten Worlds
Ah this is classic. I liked the shop feature and the different things
you can buy as you defeat enemies and collect "zenny." So far I've
made it to the 2nd boss. Where is his heart? I tried shooting at it
for the longest time, but he stays alive and there's no "flash damage"
to indicate so. I tried aiming A. inbetween the two long vertical
blades and B. right to the right of the last blade on the right, both A
and B have "holes" where it seem like his heart would lie, according to
the tip given by the shop lady.

Mick and Mack as the Global Gladiators
I love this game's packaging it just looks cool. Unfortunately the
game is disappointing and not the sleeper hit I envisioned it to be,
prior to playing it. You know how some games before you play you kinda
go "oh yeah this looks like a potential sleeper hit" -- it sucks when
those games turn out to be disappointments. Cheap enemies, cheap hits,
erratic scrolling, don't get me wrong it's not a bad game it just has
that me too syndrome and overall feels very much so "meh." I beat the
1st world and game over'ed on the 2nd world. Again, a game with no
passwords.

Greg Wittel

Aug 15, 2006, 11:04:35 PM8/15/06
On 15 Aug 2006 15:37:05 -0700, Etti...@hotmail.com wrote:

>>Forgotten Worlds
>>Ah this is classic. I liked the shop feature and the different things
>>you can buy as you defeat enemies and collect "zenny." So far I've
>>made it to the 2nd boss. Where is his heart? I tried shooting at it
>>for the longest time, but he stays alive and there's no "flash damage"
>>to indicate so. I tried aiming A. inbetween the two long vertical
>>blades and B. right to the right of the last blade on the right, both A
>>and B have "holes" where it seem like his heart would lie, according to
>>the tip given by the shop lady.

Ah, I spent many hours on this game years ago. I had to fire it up in an emu to
remember how to kill the 2nd boss: Get up close to the large bulge closest to
its neck. Just fire downward. You should destroy a 'cover' which will expose
its heart. Then fire away. With the napalm weapon you can kill him in ~10
seconds. For whatever reason, the seeking missiles target its blades which
don't do you much good unless you're really close to the vulnerable spot.

Hope ths helps,

-Greg

MetalFRO

Aug 16, 2006, 11:22:52 AM8/16/06
One thing I'd encourage you to keep in mind is that most Genesis games
don't have passwords because many 8 & 16-bit games didn't include them.
Games like Decapattack don't need a password system. The game is
given more longevity by forcing you to learn the areas & the layouts
(enemies placed after you jump, for example) so it keeps you coming
back to it in order to make you get better at the game & progress until
you get to the end.

As far as Decapattack goes, ignore the idiot reviewers & give it
another try. I purchased that game brand new in Jr. High when I first
had my Genesis (15 years ago now) & I still love playing that game.
It's just a solid, fun platformer.

Scott H

Aug 16, 2006, 11:39:32 AM8/16/06

It's just his chest plate, you have to shoot it until it explodes,
which is very difficult to do without a weapons upgrade, especially for
your satellite. With all of the bosses in this game, just spread fire
until you see explosions from a specific place, that's the place to target.

--
Scott

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com

Scott H

Aug 16, 2006, 11:41:30 AM8/16/06
MetalFRO wrote:
> One thing I'd encourage you to keep in mind is that most Genesis games
> don't have passwords because many 8 & 16-bit games didn't include them.
> Games like Decapattack don't need a password system. The game is
> given more longevity by forcing you to learn the areas & the layouts
> (enemies placed after you jump, for example) so it keeps you coming
> back to it in order to make you get better at the game & progress until
> you get to the end.

Right, this was the formula of all gaming prior to the CD-ROM consoles.
The longevity comes from being forced to play the game until one
masters the gameplay and level design of the early levels, thus allowing
the player to reach the difficult later levels with enough lives to
experiment and learn. I think the advent of save files was the death of
seriously creative level design as well.

--
Scott

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com

BelPowerslave

Aug 16, 2006, 4:55:14 PM8/16/06
> It is now my mission to play the 130+ Genesis games I have accumulated
> since February 2006,

*130* fucking Genesis games in 6 months? Christ man, don't you have a
job or something!? ;)

> and I thought I'd post thoughts on each game in
> one thread.

Sounds good to me!

> I welcome feedback, but request you all to refrain from
> starting impressions on games I have yet to get to. If you really
> want, go for it, I will not be offended but it would just be a nice
> show of respect to me if you refrain. At the end, whatever games I
> don't get to, feel free to then write a quick review on title X.

I'll do my best.

> I'll post anywhere from 5-10 games per post, as to keep things moving
> and offer plenty of feedback. I won't get to all 130+ games I own (as
> some are RPG's) but I will try to get to hopefully over 100
> impressions. This may take a few months. Let's begin...

Good, we could use the converstation.

> B.O.B
> EA's platformer blaster featuring an ant-like robot teen who borrowed
> his dad's car to go to his hot date. He crashes into an asteroid and
> finds himself stranded on a hostile planet. Through 3 planets, 45
> levels and many deadly enemies and bosses you must guide BOB. I beat
> the SNES version and really enjoyed it. I read the GEN version was
> even better but after playing both I can't understand who could ever
> think that. The controls for the GEN version are far too loose and
> later on in the game (i.e. level 17 or so) the looseness ends up
> killing you or zapping away precious energy. The sound is not as good
> and the graphics took a severe hit. From the somewhat bright and
> pleasant pastel-y look of the SNES version, the Genesis version is
> muddy and washed out. It took away from the appeal of the game.
> Overall, it's plagued by the bad controls. If you have a SNES I
> recommend checking out BOB as it's a sleeper hit and quite
> fun/addicting. I was disappointed with the Genesis version.

Not ever playing the SNES version, I think BOB on the Genesis is pretty
good.

> Castlevania: Bloodlines
> It took me a while to get into this, but I did. I liked the 2
> character choices but I hate the password system. So I made it to the
> Factory stage but when I later used the password I found out it kept my
> 0 lives, and so when I died, I game over'ed. I had to go back and redo
> the game to make sure I had all my lives to give me a chance. I hate
> that! Maybe it's just me though.

I don't remember the password system being so punishing, but then again
I never really used it except to start out at the beginning of a
level(like, I'd play for a while, write down the password, turn it off
then come back using that password).

> I do like the feel of the game
> though, it is bloody and morbid.

To me, it's the way Castlevania should have always been.

> DecapAttack
> Finally got around to playing this after getting the 3-button
> controller. My 1st play I was very impressed with it. I thought the
> graphics were great and the gameplay solid. I then read some subpar
> reviews on it, and it made me re-evaluate the game. On my 2nd go,
> somehow the graphics didn't seem as impressive, and the gameplay seemed
> less fun. I made it to the 2nd level frog boss and that's as far as
> I've gone. No password system! A definite pet peeve of mine.
> Overall, this is a solid game, but don't expect anything earth-shaking.
> I like Chuck the character though, I just hate the cheap hits you
> sometimes absorb, especially after making a long jump and an enemy is
> right there.

Floating is the key, this will keep you out of harm's way and if you do
happen to land on someone, it won't hurt you. Give it another shot,
it's really quite good.

> Forgotten Worlds
> Ah this is classic. I liked the shop feature and the different things
> you can buy as you defeat enemies and collect "zenny." So far I've
> made it to the 2nd boss. Where is his heart? I tried shooting at it
> for the longest time, but he stays alive and there's no "flash damage"
> to indicate so. I tried aiming A. inbetween the two long vertical
> blades and B. right to the right of the last blade on the right, both A
> and B have "holes" where it seem like his heart would lie, according to
> the tip given by the shop lady.

Like others have mentioned, you break the plate then hammer the heart.
FW is so fucking good, I still love playing it.

> Mick and Mack as the Global Gladiators
> I love this game's packaging it just looks cool. Unfortunately the
> game is disappointing and not the sleeper hit I envisioned it to be,
> prior to playing it. You know how some games before you play you kinda
> go "oh yeah this looks like a potential sleeper hit" -- it sucks when
> those games turn out to be disappointments. Cheap enemies, cheap hits,
> erratic scrolling, don't get me wrong it's not a bad game it just has
> that me too syndrome and overall feels very much so "meh." I beat the
> 1st world and game over'ed on the 2nd world. Again, a game with no
> passwords.

Man, I don't know...you sure you're not trying to get a job with IGN or
GameSpot? ;) GG is pretty hip, imo.

Bel

Message has been deleted

Etti...@hotmail.com

Aug 18, 2006, 6:52:42 PM8/18/06
Bel, my heart's not been in video games the past couple days. I don't
know, man. But I decided to keep it all... at least for now. What am
I talking about? read on...

------

I may put this topic on hiatus or change its intent for the short-term.

Believe it or not, yesterday I was seriously considering selling it
all. I popped in Genesis title after title and whether some were good
overall it didn't click with me. I guess force-playing games when
you're not in the mood is never a good idea, and I learned that almost
the hard way by COMING THIS close to selling all 130 carts away.

Green Dog
It's all right, the disc attack is too small though.

Steel Empire
I wanted to like this one but it just feels meh

Viewpoint
This was cool and impressive.

Todd's Slime World
One words: blows

King of the Monsters 2
It's OK

Shadow Blasters
Wanted to like it, didn't too much this particular go-around

Taz-Mania
Hated it

Trouble Shooter
Now we're talking. I like the "flip" feature. This is a sleeper gem

Gunstar Heroes
I liked it but I wasn't feeling it for some reason that day, again, I
was feeling meh toward video games in general.

McDonald's Treasure Land
A really solid platformer by Treasure, don't let Ronald McDonald fool
ya!

SHINING FORCE
In a desperate attempt to realize whether it was worth keeping or if I
should sell it all -- I decided last night to pop in Shining Force and
let it decide for me. I ended up being hooked and this is my first RPG
experience for the record. I love the positioning strategic aspect of
it, and it was refreshing to play a game that hooked me like this. I
realized I was playing these games when I wasn't feeling video games in
general, but thanks to SF I will hold onto my collection at least a
little while longer and not make any rash decisions I may later regret.
I'll definitely sell some duds, but I'll keep most of my 130 games for
now.

Right now my goal is to beat SF. I've played about 3 hours now and my
main character is at level 5 as are some others.

So I'm going on hiatus for a bit -- I want to beat SF before I play any
other games. I may update my travels in this thread as I go along -- I
may not.

BelPowerslave

Aug 18, 2006, 7:15:17 PM8/18/06
> Bel, my heart's not been in video games the past couple days. I don't
> know, man. But I decided to keep it all... at least for now. What am
> I talking about? read on...
>
> ------
>
> I may put this topic on hiatus or change its intent for the short-term.
>
> Believe it or not, yesterday I was seriously considering selling it
> all. I popped in Genesis title after title and whether some were good
> overall it didn't click with me. I guess force-playing games when
> you're not in the mood is never a good idea, and I learned that almost
> the hard way by COMING THIS close to selling all 130 carts away.

Definitely. You can't just pop stuff in, play it for 3 minutes and make
an informed decision....and you should never attempt it in a "forced"
manner. Just go through the collection slowly, there's no timer, noone
is going to take the games from you. People who would buy them off you
will be there no matter when, or even if, you decide to sell stuff off.
:)

> Green Dog
> It's all right, the disc attack is too small though.

There's just something about this one, I dig it.

> Steel Empire
> I wanted to like this one but it just feels meh

I like this one, but I haven't played it that much.

> Viewpoint
> This was cool and impressive.

Based on the NG game, this is one I've always wanted to see...even with
all the talk of slowdown and whatnot.

> Todd's Slime World
> One words: blows

You think this one's bad, you should have seen the Lynx version. ;)

> King of the Monsters 2
> It's OK

Never have tried this one.

> Shadow Blasters
> Wanted to like it, didn't too much this particular go-around

It's an aquired taste, and definitely begins to grow on you the more
you play it. The first level is overly hard, but after that it lightens
up. I've gone all the way through this one.

> Taz-Mania
> Hated it

Well, there's definitely no middle ground on this game: You either love
it or hate it. I happen to love it.

> Trouble Shooter
> Now we're talking. I like the "flip" feature. This is a sleeper gem

Now it's time for you, young grasshopper, to face the horror that is
the "current going rate on ebay" for its sequel. I dare you to
look...(you'll shit your pants)

> Gunstar Heroes
> I liked it but I wasn't feeling it for some reason that day, again, I
> was feeling meh toward video games in general.

Yeah, this game is definitely an indication that something may be
wrong. I can't think of *anyone* who doesn't like this one...and I
don't just casually mean "anyone", I mean I really can't think of
single person who didn't absolutely feel this game was awesome.

> McDonald's Treasure Land
> A really solid platformer by Treasure, don't let Ronald McDonald fool
> ya!

I was really surprised with this one. The way Ronald jumps...cracks me
up.

> SHINING FORCE
> In a desperate attempt to realize whether it was worth keeping or if I
> should sell it all -- I decided last night to pop in Shining Force and
> let it decide for me. I ended up being hooked and this is my first RPG
> experience for the record. I love the positioning strategic aspect of
> it, and it was refreshing to play a game that hooked me like this. I
> realized I was playing these games when I wasn't feeling video games in
> general, but thanks to SF I will hold onto my collection at least a
> little while longer and not make any rash decisions I may later regret.
> I'll definitely sell some duds, but I'll keep most of my 130 games for
> now.
>
> Right now my goal is to beat SF. I've played about 3 hours now and my
> main character is at level 5 as are some others.

SF is more of a "strategic RPG" rather than traditional, but you're
right to like it, it's excellent. SF2 is fucking good too, as is SF
CD(on the Sega CD).

> So I'm going on hiatus for a bit -- I want to beat SF before I play any
> other games. I may update my travels in this thread as I go along -- I
> may not.

Well, the decision is yours, of course, but I wouldn't be too hasty in
ditching anything until you really give it a solid chance. I've
recently been going through a lot of PSX, Saturn, Genesis and Xbox
games I had bought while my stuff was in storage, and really, out of
everything I've gone through, only about 3% of it was utter shit that I
could find no redeeming value in(including D-Xhird, which at first I
couldn't believe how bad it was, but going back and giving it a solid
chance, it's actually not too bad, and is worth keeping).

Bel

rob.o...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2006, 8:28:54 PM8/18/06

Pez D Spencer wrote:
> forgotten worlds, ghoul 'n ghosts, rambo 3, and revenge of shinobi are
> my all-time favorite genesis games.
>
> i did have a lot of fun with road avenger, sol-feace, lunar silver
> star, and batman returns on the sega cd...
>
> i played through snatcher the week it was released--what a
> disappointment! after hearing how awesome it was on the pc engine, it
> turns out to be a 6 hour point and click adventure!

I think the one thing that Snatcher had over most otherr games at the
time was how the world was fleshed out, even the insignifigant details.
For a game that is really a glorified text adventure it sucks you
into it's mileau -- as a comparison, check out Rise of the Dragon to
see just how bad a game like this can turn out.. Some people don't see
it that way, they usually are biased against it (It's just a digital
comic) before they even play it. There was a group of people working
on taking the story and writing a more traditional 3D exploration
engine around it, and redoing some of the voice acting (which I don't
think needs to be touched).

Hideo Kojima says he has no plans to revisit Snatcher on modern
consoles, probably because his games are more prominent nowadys -- and
the rather glaring story and concept thefts from Blade Runner would
gain the unwanted attention of the lawyer-folk. I gave up on his
games after Metal Gear Solid 2.56: Even more 40 minute curscenes.
Kojima should just break into Hollywood directing already... if Kevin
Smith can do it I'm sure a famous videogame writer/designer could.

BelPowerslave

Aug 21, 2006, 4:16:05 PM8/21/06
> > i played through snatcher the week it was released--what a
> > disappointment! after hearing how awesome it was on the pc engine, it
> > turns out to be a 6 hour point and click adventure!
>
> I think the one thing that Snatcher had over most otherr games at the
> time was how the world was fleshed out, even the insignifigant details.

I don't know, I think a lot of the hook with Snatcher was that it was
by Konami. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent game and all, but I
just couldn't see it doing nearly as well if it wouldn't have had the
Konami brand on it, not to mention the various Konami-owned characters
in it.

> For a game that is really a glorified text adventure it sucks you
> into it's mileau -- as a comparison, check out Rise of the Dragon to
> see just how bad a game like this can turn out..

Ah man, I can't believe you just said that. I figured you would have
mentioned Space Adventure Cobra or something...but RotD!? Heresy!

> Some people don't see
> it that way, they usually are biased against it (It's just a digital
> comic) before they even play it. There was a group of people working
> on taking the story and writing a more traditional 3D exploration
> engine around it, and redoing some of the voice acting (which I don't
> think needs to be touched).

Agreed.

> Hideo Kojima says he has no plans to revisit Snatcher on modern
> consoles, probably because his games are more prominent nowadys -- and
> the rather glaring story and concept thefts from Blade Runner would
> gain the unwanted attention of the lawyer-folk. I gave up on his
> games after Metal Gear Solid 2.56: Even more 40 minute curscenes.

Got that right. After the first MGS that guy just lost it...I think it
was the vampires and talking arms in MGS2 that first tipped me off...;)

> Kojima should just break into Hollywood directing already... if Kevin
> Smith can do it I'm sure a famous videogame writer/designer could.

God, can you imagine the bore-fest of a bomb-movie he'd put out? The
tag line could be "If you thought the movie version of Dead of Alive
made you shit blood, wait until you see this!". ;)

Bel

Etti...@hotmail.com

Aug 22, 2006, 4:32:50 PM8/22/06
D-XHird, IIRC you bought this from me, right? Speaking of which how
did you like Night Striker S?

I am now on chapter 4 of Shining Force, fucking love this game.
Graphics are just right, love the strategic battle system, just love it
love it love it. I recently recruited Zylo and dude's a fucking killer
on the battle field (the werewolf warrior). Ken the centaur inflicts
amazing damage (Mae the other centaur sucks though, so I usually leave
her behind). Balbaroy the birdman is awesome with his far travel range
and above average damage offense.

I defeated the laser eye on my 2nd try. Just had to stay outta dodge
til after he fires. Then, you want to immediately head toward him and
you should be able to kill him with Zylo, Ken and say, Luke, before he
can fire a 2nd time. In the beginning chapters I used Steve (the main
character) a lot to do the battles, but now I find myself protecting
him more since the enemies are getting stronger and of course, if Steve
dies on the battle field it's back to the last town you were in with
half your gold.

Good tips Bel. Yeah you can't force play games. Oh yeah, I forgot to
mention I did play 15 minutes of Alien 3 and it was a fun little game.
I will have to do the Game Genie inifinite time code next time.

I'm going to beat Shining Force and then maybe move on to Phantasy Star
II. I still need to buy Shining Force II and Phantasy Star IV.
Shining in the Darkness too.

BelPowerslave

Aug 22, 2006, 4:41:37 PM8/22/06
> D-XHird, IIRC you bought this from me, right?

Yup. :)

> Speaking of which how
> did you like Night Striker S?

I'm digging it....though oddly enough, I kind of like the Mega CD
version a little more.

> I am now on chapter 4 of Shining Force, fucking love this game.
> Graphics are just right, love the strategic battle system, just love it
> love it love it. I recently recruited Zylo and dude's a fucking killer
> on the battle field (the werewolf warrior). Ken the centaur inflicts
> amazing damage (Mae the other centaur sucks though, so I usually leave
> her behind). Balbaroy the birdman is awesome with his far travel range
> and above average damage offense.
>
> I defeated the laser eye on my 2nd try. Just had to stay outta dodge
> til after he fires. Then, you want to immediately head toward him and
> you should be able to kill him with Zylo, Ken and say, Luke, before he
> can fire a 2nd time. In the beginning chapters I used Steve (the main
> character) a lot to do the battles, but now I find myself protecting
> him more since the enemies are getting stronger and of course, if Steve
> dies on the battle field it's back to the last town you were in with
> half your gold.

Yeah, it's hard to describe just how great the Shining Force series
really is. I've still yet to play part 3 on Saturn, unfortunately, but
the rest are fucking excellent.

> Good tips Bel. Yeah you can't force play games. Oh yeah, I forgot to
> mention I did play 15 minutes of Alien 3 and it was a fun little game.
> I will have to do the Game Genie inifinite time code next time.

Yeah, the infinite time code, imo, is essential. It just puts WAY too
much pressure on your to run through the levels, at which point you're
getting pummeled non-stop by the Aliens...and it just sucks the fun
right out of it.

> I'm going to beat Shining Force and then maybe move on to Phantasy Star
> II. I still need to buy Shining Force II and Phantasy Star IV.
> Shining in the Darkness too.

I still need PSIV as well...but then again, I still need to pay through
II and III first(went through PS1 back on the SMS already, years ago).
SitD is quite different than the SF series...so just be aware. :)

Bel