GameBoy is dead

Mason Woodford

Jul 20, 1993, 6:28:35 PM7/20/93

According to Atari customer service, (not your most unbiased source),
GameBoy is dead, kaput, sayronara, and discontinued. Apparently,
Nintendo lost over $4 million dollars on the GameBoy because market
pressure from Sega and Atari forced the price of the unit too low.

Also, according to Atari customer service, Atari plans to revitalize
the Lynx when the Jaguar is released by leveraging retailers to carry
the Lynx if they want to carry the Jaguar.

Has anyone else heard these rumors?

Chris Adamson

Jul 21, 1993, 9:31:00 AM7/21/93
In article <1993Jul20.2...@cirrus.com> mas...@cirrus.com (Mason Woodford) writes:

>Also, according to Atari customer service, Atari plans to revitalize
>the Lynx when the Jaguar is released by leveraging retailers to carry
>the Lynx if they want to carry the Jaguar.

Wow! Do you think Atari will be able to manage this kind
of leverage with BOTH Jaguar dealers? Cool!

BTW, someone forgot to post the weekly "'Jimmy Connors Tennis',
'Gordo 106', and 'Lemmings' are coming soon!" message to alt.games.lynx

/ Chris Adamson / When did rap's message change from /
/ Michigan St. U. / "Fight the power" to "Buy our products"? /
/ Media Arts Prgm. / ---------------------------------------- /
/ M.A. student / plu...@ais.org , plu...@aol.com /
DISCLAIMER: Academic 11th in the Big-10 and you think they care about THIS?!

Twinky

Jul 21, 1993, 5:55:49 PM7/21/93
Chris Adamson (plu...@umcc.umcc.umich.edu) wrote:

: In article <1993Jul20.2...@cirrus.com> mas...@cirrus.com (Mason Woodford) writes:
: >
: >
: >Also, according to Atari customer service, Atari plans to revitalize
: >the Lynx when the Jaguar is released by leveraging retailers to carry
: >the Lynx if they want to carry the Jaguar.
: >
: Wow! Do you think Atari will be able to manage this kind
: of leverage with BOTH Jaguar dealers? Cool!

: BTW, someone forgot to post the weekly "'Jimmy Connors Tennis',
: 'Gordo 106', and 'Lemmings' are coming soon!" message to alt.games.lynx

Wow! Was that a flame! Funny!

It's funny that people think "LameBoy"'s are cool JUST because they have so
many cartridges for them. So does that mean that if a Porsche and a Ford
Escort were the same price, that I should buy the Ford Escort *JUST* because
there are more Ford dealers?

Personally, one good game in color is worth 100 good (although most are crappy)
games in (yawn) black and gray. (I suppose I could also rag on the fact that
the Lameboy screens need flashlights to play in low light...).

-------

Nah ... forget my counter-flame. I guess since I use an Apple IIc computer,
I can't really make fun of another obsolete piece of (once decent) electronics.

What's this Jaguar by the way? Hand-held or console?

Twinky

David Vanderbyl

Jul 21, 1993, 7:37:58 PM7/21/93
obr...@bu.bu.edu (Twinky) writes:
>It's funny that people think "LameBoy"'s are cool JUST because they have so
>many cartridges for them. So does that mean that if a Porsche and a Ford
>Escort were the same price, that I should buy the Ford Escort *JUST* because
>there are more Ford dealers?

No, it means you should but the Ford Escort because it can travel on
ten times the number of roads and use one twentieth of the amount of gas
doing it.

Jonathan Haas

Jul 21, 1993, 10:12:27 PM7/21/93
In article <22ke15$p...@news.bu.edu> obr...@bu.bu.edu (Twinky) writes:
[in reference to Nintendo's GameBoy]

>Personally, one good game in color is worth 100 good (although most are crappy)
>games in (yawn) black and gray.

That's "black and urine". Get your colors right, pal.

--
__/\__ Jonathan S. Haas | Jake liked his women the way he liked
\ / University of Michigan | his kiwi fruit: sweet yet tart, firm-

John Brooks

Jul 21, 1993, 10:42:49 PM7/21/93

ATARI??!!! Are you KIDDING????!!!! What would ATARI know? All it
cares about is hyping their system that was supposed to be out like 2 years
ago!!! And you know whats gonna happen to the JAG anyway. Atari's just
going to support it for 2 or 3 years and than forget about it and hype a
new system that won't show up for years.

--
John "Guile Skywalker" Brooks using his Dad's account

John Brooks

Jul 21, 1993, 10:46:00 PM7/21/93

Dear Twinky, are you trying to tell me that if you had a Neo-Geo in
black and white, it would be bad? If you had SF2 on Gameboy it would
suddenly be bad??!!

Bob_BobR...@cup.portal.com

Jul 22, 1993, 2:56:52 AM7/22/93

Hehe.. "Atari" and "marketing" (pressure) in the same sentence..

If Nintendo is having any problems with anything, it certainly isn't
because of anything Atari is doing..

(All those empty shelves where the Lynx *used* to be displayed are sucking
the GameBoy into a vacuum..? All those cancelled Lynx games where the
developers finally decided that eating was better than dreaming about
someday, sometime Lynx sales are somehow making GameBoy titles
self-destruct by the dozens..? All the Lynx owners who are finally
disgusted with waiting for years for something other than "hacky sack"
to play are somehow dragging the GameBoy down too..?

I think not...)

It's going to take someone with a lot more negative marketing expertise
than Atari Corp to drag Nintendo down...

BobR

Chad Freeman

Jul 22, 1993, 1:43:35 PM7/22/93
Bob_BobR...@cup.portal.com wrote:

: (All those empty shelves where the Lynx *used* to be displayed are sucking

: the GameBoy into a vacuum..? All those cancelled Lynx games where the
: developers finally decided that eating was better than dreaming about
: someday, sometime Lynx sales are somehow making GameBoy titles
: self-destruct by the dozens..? All the Lynx owners who are finally
: disgusted with waiting for years for something other than "hacky sack"
: to play are somehow dragging the GameBoy down too..?
:
: I think not...)

Actually, Atari's dropping Lynx prices and Sega's dropping Game Gear
prices did have an effect on the GameBoy. Putting it off the market,
however, I doubt. I mean, they're still selling NES' for God's sake.

And just for the record, Atari has a lot more than Hackey Sack. One
of the latest games out (there's got to be over 50, not a huge number,
but decent), Battlewheels, is the HOTTEST game EVER to grace a portable screen.

: It's going to take someone with a lot more negative marketing expertise

: than Atari Corp to drag Nintendo down...

Everyone seems to forget that companies hire outside firms to do
marketing. You think
WELC O M E
T O T H E
NEXT LEVEL

was dreamt up by some hot-shot at Sega? Nope, an outside firm trying
to get hired chalked that in their parking lot (according to rumor)
and got the job.

: BobR

--
Chad Freeman, inet: cjf...@pitt.edu, bnet: cjfst4@pittvms, BIX: cfreeman
Read Amiga Report, its the best on-line magazine around (+ I'm in it!)

Tony Clark

Jul 22, 1993, 5:19:27 PM7/22/93

Not to get personal Twinkster, but that line about color versus black and gray
(or puke green or whatever) is bullshit!

Now, according to a Nintendo of America representative, Game Boy is going to
be with us for a while. This person stated that Nintendo's objectives
for handhelds are

1. Should fit easily into a pocket
2. Should have long battery life (anything that has to be plugged into the
wall to play is not "portable")
3. Should be low cost

Her explaination of why Nintendo does not compete in the "color" handheld
market is that current screen technology does not support items 1-3.

And while I believe that lower Game Gear and Lynx pricing has driven Game Boy
prices down, I think that Nintendo has already recovered their initial
development costs and are making sizeable margins even at the new $50.00
price tag. Game Boy is sure to be a cash cow for Nintendo by now.

--
T C

e-mail: tony_...@mentorg.com

John Brooks

Jul 22, 1993, 11:07:30 PM7/22/93

You said it man! I couldn't agree more!

nin...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2012, 4:34:02 PM7/13/12
to John Brooks
On Friday, July 23, 1993 9:46:46 AM UTC-4, John Brooks wrote:
> [...]
> &gt;|&gt; : BTW, someone forgot to post the weekly &quot;&#39;Jimmy Connors Tennis&#39;,
> &gt;|&gt; : &#39;Gordo 106&#39;, and &#39;Lemmings&#39; are coming soon!&quot; message to alt.games.lynx
> &gt;|&gt;
> &gt;|&gt;
> &gt;|&gt; Wow! Was that a flame! Funny!
> &gt;|&gt;
> &gt;|&gt; It&#39;s funny that people think &quot;LameBoy&quot;&#39;s are cool JUST because they have so
> &gt;|&gt; many cartridges for them. So does that mean that if a Porsche and a Ford
> &gt;|&gt; Escort were the same price, that I should buy the Ford Escort *JUST* because
> &gt;|&gt; there are more Ford dealers?
> &gt;|&gt;
> &gt;|&gt; Personally, one good game in color is worth 100 good (although most are crappy)
> &gt;|&gt; games in (yawn) black and gray. (I suppose I could also rag on the fact that
> &gt;|&gt; the Lameboy screens need flashlights to play in low light...).
> &gt;|&gt;
> &gt;|&gt; -------
> &gt;|&gt;
> &gt;|&gt; Nah ... forget my counter-flame. I guess since I use an Apple IIc computer,
> &gt;|&gt; I can&#39;t really make fun of another obsolete piece of (once decent) electronics.
> &gt;|&gt;
> &gt;|&gt;
> &gt;|&gt; What&#39;s this Jaguar by the way? Hand-held or console?
> &gt;|&gt;
> &gt;|&gt;
> &gt;|&gt; Twinky
> &gt;|&gt;
> &gt;|&gt;
> &gt;|&gt;
> &gt;
> &gt;Not to get personal Twinkster, but that line about color versus black and gray
> &gt;(or puke green or whatever) is bullshit!
> &gt;
> &gt;Now, according to a Nintendo of America representative, Game Boy is going to
> &gt;be with us for a while. This person stated that Nintendo&#39;s objectives
> &gt;for handhelds are
> &gt;
> &gt;1. Should fit easily into a pocket
> &gt;2. Should have long battery life (anything that has to be plugged into the
> &gt; wall to play is not &quot;portable&quot;)
> &gt;3. Should be low cost
> &gt;
> &gt;Her explaination of why Nintendo does not compete in the &quot;color&quot; handheld
> &gt;market is that current screen technology does not support items 1-3.
> &gt;
> &gt;And while I believe that lower Game Gear and Lynx pricing has driven Game Boy
> &gt;prices down, I think that Nintendo has already recovered their initial
> &gt;development costs and are making sizeable margins even at the new $50.00
> &gt;price tag. Game Boy is sure to be a cash cow for Nintendo by now.
>
> You said it man! I couldn&#39;t agree more!
>

> --
> John &quot;Guile Skywalker&quot; Brooks using his Dad&#39;s account

how do you all fell right now trollolololololololll http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&biw=1920&bih=947&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=7AIPTIdcjQ_oHM:&imgrefurl=http://futanarihentaiporn.com/&docid=8-t177Wk5LvWGM&imgurl=http://futanarihentaiporn.com/pics/futa-hentai-022/5/futanari-sex-toons.jpg&w=510&h=401&ei=-oUAULOUBoHe0QGO6eneBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=746&vpy=612&dur=2133&hovh=199&hovw=253&tx=129&ty=196&sig=113589214371014653532&page=2&tbnh=144&tbnw=179&start=55&ndsp=68&ved=1t:429,r:27,s:55,i:332

patrickl...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2014, 9:13:47 AM12/17/14
Holy crap 1993? I was only 10.