Total Eclipse is out!!!

William A. Castellano

Jan 8, 1994, 11:57:14 PM1/8/94
Newsgroups: rec.games.video.3do
Subject: Total Eclipse is out!!!

Greetings everyone!
I just returned home from the CES show tonight and got a phone message
that Babbages has Total Eclipse in stock! I don't know how many they
got in but they're holding it for me until 11am tomorrow!!!

I played it at the show for about thirty minutes and was VERY impressed.
I know how much hype the game has got and the game still managed to live
up to all of my expectations! I'll leave a detailed review for somebody
else because I'm not very good at in-depth reviews, but I will mention a
few things:

-This game is EXTREMELY fun to play. That really says it all. I've been
dying for a "system seller" for the 3DO with top-notch gameplay...and
this is it! No longer will 3DO owners have to complain about software
that doesn't take advantage of the system or doesn't offer decent gameplay.
TE is engrossing as hell and the barrel rolls should make you a believer.

-The animation is smooth as silk. Not bad for a fast scaling 3-D texture
bitmapped game engine!!! Although it is hard to see at first, fly
slowly over the rivers in the valleys and you will notice that they are
not just a still-life texture map but they are actually "bubbling".

-The soundtrack is well done. It was hard to hear at the show, but it
sounded like very fast jammin' rock music. Perfect for a shooter.

-FMV is full-screen and flicker-free. They ditched Cinemapak and used
their own compression algorithm (Crystal Dynamics programmers, that is).
The result is a slightly lower resolution but smooth, flicker-free animation
(which is fine with me). You'll also be happy to know that they didn't
use real actors but insted opted on the computer generated characters
instead. They used the same animation program that they used to create
the black market salesman in CnB.

The other games at the show looked fantastic as well:
-Super Wing Commander. Plays just like the PC version of WC1. I was
very happy to see that the intense gameplay of the original has been
duplicated in the 3DO version. The origin programmer gave a tentative
march release date.

-Road Rash. Great scaling texture-mapped background!!! The game was
not even close to finished, but was a blast to play.

-Way of the Warrior. This is a "mortal kombat" clone in that it is a
fighter with digitized fighters and gory fatalities. There is even a guy
with a hat who does a torpedo just like Raiden and a bridge to knock
fighters off into an open grave below. The characters didn't animate
as well as MK, but the gameplay was great and the backgrounds were
gorgeous. I hope they improve upon it because it could be a blast
if they do it right! The 2 man programming team who did WOTW is called
"Naughty Dog" and they haven't yet found a distributor. Not bad for
two dudes in their 20's!!!

also: John Madden Football, Twisted, Who Shot Johnny Rock?, Putt Putt
Goes to The Moon, PGA Golf, The Horde (with FMV starring Kirk Cameron,
who was at the show playing it), Orion Off-Road (from Crystal Dynamics
using the same graphics engine as in TE), Star Control II (also from
Crystal Dynamics) CPU Bach, Shockwave (INCREDIBLE FMV intro using the
MPEG compression cart!!! EA will release 2 versions of this game,
one with MPEG and one with Cinemapak), ST:TNG, and a few others that
I forgot...and all the games that have already been released, of
course.

Good night, and sweet dreams, fellow 3DO owners!!! :)
WAC

eunjoon lee

Jan 9, 1994, 3:35:15 AM1/9/94
Thank you, William for the great coverage of 3DO at the Winter CES. Good job!

Ej

Robert keng

Jan 10, 1994, 8:22:03 PM1/10/94
William A. Castellano (wa...@netcom.com) wrote:

: Greetings everyone!

*ugh*, quit taunting me! My copy won't arrive till tomorrow! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

: The other games at the show looked fantastic as well:

: -Super Wing Commander. Plays just like the PC version of WC1. I was
: very happy to see that the intense gameplay of the original has been
: duplicated in the 3DO version. The origin programmer gave a tentative
: march release date.

Cool! I never got WC1 (I got WC2 though :-)) and has been holding off for the
3DO version. Definitely on my list..

: -Road Rash. Great scaling texture-mapped background!!! The game was

: not even close to finished, but was a blast to play.

: -Way of the Warrior. This is a "mortal kombat" clone in that it is a
: fighter with digitized fighters and gory fatalities. There is even a guy
: with a hat who does a torpedo just like Raiden and a bridge to knock
: fighters off into an open grave below. The characters didn't animate
: as well as MK, but the gameplay was great and the backgrounds were
: gorgeous. I hope they improve upon it because it could be a blast
: if they do it right! The 2 man programming team who did WOTW is called
: "Naughty Dog" and they haven't yet found a distributor. Not bad for
: two dudes in their 20's!!!

If it plays as good and looks as good as you've said, then I don't think they
will have much problems getting a distributor :-) 3DO is just beggin' for a MK
clone!

: also: John Madden Football, Twisted, Who Shot Johnny Rock?, Putt Putt

: Goes to The Moon, PGA Golf, The Horde (with FMV starring Kirk Cameron,
: who was at the show playing it), Orion Off-Road (from Crystal Dynamics
: using the same graphics engine as in TE), Star Control II (also from
: Crystal Dynamics) CPU Bach, Shockwave (INCREDIBLE FMV intro using the
: MPEG compression cart!!! EA will release 2 versions of this game,
: one with MPEG and one with Cinemapak), ST:TNG, and a few others that
: I forgot...and all the games that have already been released, of
: course.

Orion Off-Road??? Got pix of this game? :=)

Starcon2 for 3DO?!? Hmm... definitely got potential...

Well, I know I'll be getting a MPEG cart, just to play the FMV version of
Shockwave!!!! YYYEEEEAAAHHH!!! (too much coffie this morning :-))

* Robert Keng * Programmer, Adventurer, MechWarrior,*
* AKA "Starblade" * Pilot, and Pandion knight...........*
* INet - pri...@netcom.com ********BIG fan of David Eddings*******
* GEnie - R.KENG * "He who laughs last, laughs best..."*

Marty Chinn

Jan 12, 1994, 7:37:46 AM1/12/94
pri...@netcom.com (Robert keng) writes:

> clone!
>
> : also: John Madden Football, Twisted, Who Shot Johnny Rock?, Putt Putt
> : Goes to The Moon, PGA Golf, The Horde (with FMV starring Kirk Cameron,
> : who was at the show playing it), Orion Off-Road (from Crystal Dynamics
> : using the same graphics engine as in TE), Star Control II (also from
> : Crystal Dynamics) CPU Bach, Shockwave (INCREDIBLE FMV intro using the
> : MPEG compression cart!!! EA will release 2 versions of this game,
> : one with MPEG and one with Cinemapak), ST:TNG, and a few others that
> : I forgot...and all the games that have already been released, of
> : course.
>
> Orion Off-Road??? Got pix of this game? :=)
>
> Starcon2 for 3DO?!? Hmm... definitely got potential...
>
> Well, I know I'll be getting a MPEG cart, just to play the FMV version of
> Shockwave!!!! YYYEEEEAAAHHH!!! (too much coffie this morning :-))
>
> --

> * Robert Keng * Programmer, Adventurer, MechWarrior,*
> * AKA "Starblade" * Pilot, and Pandion knight...........*
> * INet - pri...@netcom.com ********BIG fan of David Eddings*******
> * GEnie - R.KENG * "He who laughs last, laughs best..."*

Well on my video, I filmed everything they had there. The CES video is 12
dollars plus 3 shipping in the US. For outside the US please mail me for
exact shipping costs. When I mean everything there, I meant that they had
on 3DO

--
drkn...@Garg.Campbell.CA.US (Marty Chinn)
The Land of Garg BBS -- +1 408 378-5108