Finished Escape from Monster Manor

Dave_...@vos.stratus.com

Jan 8, 1994, 5:53:46 PM1/8/94
Wow.. What a bitch.

Ending was real short - kinda disappointing. Aside from that, definitely
worth the $60.

My EB catalogue came yesterday. Had an ad for 3DO Out Of This World in
it. Anybody know a release date for this?

Tread carefully, now..
-Dave

Craig B Miller

Jan 8, 1994, 11:42:36 PM1/8/94

>My EB catalogue came yesterday. Had an ad for 3DO Out Of This World in
>it. Anybody know a release date for this?
>
>Tread carefully, now..
>-Dave

I'm an EB manager and I have been getting some reliable info from one of
our buyers. Here goes:

1>Out of this world is scheduled to ship on 1/10.
2>Twisted is scheduled to ship on 1/10
3>Super Wing COmmander is supposed to ship by the end of the month.
4>Madden has been delayed until 2/28 :(

Total Eclipse came in today (1/8) and it is absolutely incredible!!!
I don't care where you buy it (well kinda) but just buy it!

Can anyone tell me if that crap Diehard Gamefan said about the 3DO
controller being only 4-way is true? I haven't found a game to test this
against...

One last thing, can we stop this stuff about ISDN? It's getting pretty
boring.

Craig Miller
Electronics Boutique #210
Plattsburgh, NY 12901

E. Kontei

Jan 9, 1994, 10:54:49 AM1/9/94
In article <CJCIF...@world.std.com>, c...@world.std.com (Craig B Miller) writes:
> Can anyone tell me if that crap Diehard Gamefan said about the 3DO
> controller being only 4-way is true?

It has 4 contact plates, apparently, which gives you up to 8 directions.

> I haven't found a game to test this against...

Stellar 7. The problem is that the diagonals are recessed, so it's a
bitch to try and get them right. If they only removed the "cross"
on the joypad and used a "flat" pad instead... ah well.
--
E n r i q u e C o n t y
"There is what's legal, there is what's right, and there is what we do."

Dave Platt

Jan 9, 1994, 4:36:48 PM1/9/94
In article <CJCIF...@world.std.com> c...@world.std.com (Craig B Miller) writes:

>Can anyone tell me if that crap Diehard Gamefan said about the 3DO
>controller being only 4-way is true? I haven't found a game to test this
>against...

I'm not sure what you mean by "4-way".

If you mean that the directional cross-pad on the left side of the
controller can send only the four basic directional codes
(up/down/left/right) and can send only one of them at a time... no, this
is not the case. If you press the upper-left portion of that pad, the
controller will send in a code byte with the "up" and "left" bits set,
and the "down" and "right" bits un-set.

Electrically, and in a programming sense, the four direction-pad bits
are completely independent of one another. The physical design of the
controller (the way the switches are connected to the actuator pad)
makes it impossible for any two _opposing_ bits to be set at once (you
can't send both "up" and "down" at once). _Adjacent_ bits, such as
"down" and "right" can be set at the same time, and all of the system
software will pass these bits through to the application.

The physical design of the controller is such that you have to press
pretty carefully to get a "diagonal" situation to exist (triggering both
a horizontal and vertical bit at the same time)... if you apply
substantially more "horizontal" pressure than "vertical", you may get
only the horizontal bit set.

It's up to the game designer to make sure that the game does the "right
thing" if a single control-pad event arrives with two bits set, of
course. If a game-writer codes up something like "If the UP bit is set
do this, else if the DOWN bit is set do that, else if the LEFT bit is
set do another thing, else if the RIGHT bit is set do the right thing"
then the game will behave as if the controller was a 4-way rather than
an 8-way... this is a misfeature of that game, not a misfeature of the
system or controller.

If by "4-way" you mean that the Multiplayer is limited to four control
pads daisy chained together... no, that isn't the case either.

--
Dave Platt dpl...@ntg.com ..or.. ...netcomsv!ntg!dplatt
USNAIL: The 3DO Company, NTG division

Bob Rusbasan

Jan 9, 1994, 12:27:31 PM1/9/94
c...@world.std.com (Craig B Miller) writes:
> I'm an EB manager and I have been getting some reliable info from one of
> our buyers. Here goes:

> 1>Out of this world is scheduled to ship on 1/10.
> 2>Twisted is scheduled to ship on 1/10
> 3>Super Wing COmmander is supposed to ship by the end of the month.

Cool! Especially Wing Commander.

> 4>Madden has been delayed until 2/28 :(

EA's really on the ball, huh? From the start, it's been clear that
the 3DO is their system of choice, but they can't get anything out.

> Total Eclipse came in today (1/8) and it is absolutely incredible!!!
> I don't care where you buy it (well kinda) but just buy it!

It didn't come out around here, unfortunately. Probably tomorrow.

> Can anyone tell me if that crap Diehard Gamefan said about the 3DO
> controller being only 4-way is true? I haven't found a game to test this
> against...

If they actually said that, then they are more of a piece of crap than
EGM. Ask anyone who has played Stellar 7, a game in which you are almost
constantly using the upper diagonals.

> One last thing, can we stop this stuff about ISDN? It's getting pretty
> boring.

No kidding. I'd also like to politely ask people to not post
inflammatory messages to the non-advocacy groups. I don't
understand what would possess someone to start an Atari thread in the
3DO group and a 3DO thread in the Atari group.

/ Bob Rusbasan | Dance to the tension \
/ rrus...@nyx.cs.du.edu | of a world on edge \
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Seth Delackner

Jan 9, 1994, 7:03:35 PM1/9/94
E. Kontei (co...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com) wrote:

: bitch to try and get them right. If they only removed the "cross"

: on the joypad and used a "flat" pad instead... ah well.

So take a file to it... Presto! flat pad!

Marc Ries

Jan 10, 1994, 9:31:46 AM1/10/94
In article <1994Jan9.1...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>,

Bob Rusbasan <rrus...@nyx.cs.du.edu> wrote:
>c...@world.std.com (Craig B Miller) writes:
>> I'm an EB manager and I have been getting some reliable info from one of
>> our buyers. Here goes:
>> 1>Out of this world is scheduled to ship on 1/10.
>> 2>Twisted is scheduled to ship on 1/10

Latest "Babbages" computer says 1/17

>> Total Eclipse came in today (1/8) and it is absolutely incredible!!!
>> I don't care where you buy it (well kinda) but just buy it!

>It didn't come out around here, unfortunately. Probably tomorrow.

Sometimes I really don't understand these companies. Babbages
got TE in on Saturday -- a whole >3< copies of it which
immediately sold out (what did you expect). Software Etc. said
they expect theirs in tomorrow (Tues). [So Cal -- Brea Mall].

Robert keng

Jan 10, 1994, 2:39:44 PM1/10/94

:
: 1>Out of this world is scheduled to ship on 1/10.
: 2>Twisted is scheduled to ship on 1/10
: 3>Super Wing COmmander is supposed to ship by the end of the month.
: 4>Madden has been delayed until 2/28 :(

Well, that's at least 4 games for this month, including TE...

: Total Eclipse came in today (1/8) and it is absolutely incredible!!!

: I don't care where you buy it (well kinda) but just buy it!
:
: Can anyone tell me if that crap Diehard Gamefan said about the 3DO
: controller being only 4-way is true? I haven't found a game to test this
: against...

No, it's not. Obviously DieHard is only interested in the Jaguar. If they had
played Stellar 7: Draxon's Revenge for the 3DO, they'd know. For an in-depth
explaination, read Mr. Platt's follow-up :-)

Don't expect DieHard to be unbiased and/or know what they're talking about. In
many ways, they're worse than EGM...

* Robert Keng * Programmer, Adventurer, MechWarrior,*
* AKA "Starblade" * Pilot, and Pandion knight...........*
* INet - pri...@netcom.com ********BIG fan of David Eddings*******
* GEnie - R.KENG * "He who laughs last, laughs best..."*

Bob Rusbasan

Jan 12, 1994, 7:15:43 PM1/12/94
pri...@netcom.com (Robert keng) writes:
> Craig B Miller (c...@world.std.com) wrote:
> : I'm an EB manager and I have been getting some reliable info from one of
> : our buyers. Here goes:

> : 1>Out of this world is scheduled to ship on 1/10.
> : 2>Twisted is scheduled to ship on 1/10

Neither of these showed up here, and I hear Twisted has been pushed
back a week.

> : 3>Super Wing COmmander is supposed to ship by the end of the month.

Pushed back to 2/28, according to Babbage's release list.

> : 4>Madden has been delayed until 2/28 :(

There's that magic date again. I get the feeling the situation at EA
is something like this: "Damn! We're not going to make it! Let's
try for the end of February..." In other words, I wouldn't be surprised
to see them both pushed back further.

> : Total Eclipse came in today (1/8) and it is absolutely incredible!!!
> : I don't care where you buy it (well kinda) but just buy it!

Agreed. I love that game. Crystal Dynamics is going to get a letter
from me whining about the lack of a save feature, but overall the game
ROCKS! It is easily the best arcade-style game I've ever played.

> No, it's not. Obviously DieHard is only interested in the Jaguar. If they had
> played Stellar 7: Draxon's Revenge for the 3DO, they'd know. For an in-depth
> explaination, read Mr. Platt's follow-up :-)

Diagonals are also used very heavily in TE. I don't want to start a
technical solution, but think about this: Is it really any easier to
build a four way joystick than to build an eight-way one? I could see
how it could actually be more difficult in some ways. Also, chew on
this: Can you imagine a company coming out with a controller with a
headphone jack and a port to daisy chain other controllers off of
trying to save a few bucks by making it four-way only?

> Don't expect DieHard to be unbiased and/or know what they're talking about. In
> many ways, they're worse than EGM...

I saw DieHard for the first time a few weeks ago. It was awful, but I
must say if EGM appeals to you, you'd like DHGF better. They have a
lot of info and pictures splattered all over their pages, much more
than EGM.

Video Games magazine actually reviewed DHGF in the issue that just came
out. Although VG has gone downhill, it was amusing to read them bashing
DHGF -- they said something about how the percentages in the ratings
remind them of school, but it seems as if nobody at DHGF graduated.