I'm getting some joystick thumb tip reproductions done!

ala...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2012, 8:06:57 AM10/16/12
Many years ago I posted in here asking if anyone was making reproductions of joystick tips for the Vectrex. No one seemed to so I've decided to get some done! They will be made of aluminum and I'm trying to get them to resemble the original as much as I can, however, the problem is I don't have an original one so the machinist is basing himself on photos online.

I need to know 2 things from this forum:

a) the width and length of the screw-on tip
b) if anyone wants to order these email me and I'll compile a list of customers and send you a price once I know how many want to order these

This will be a one shot deal so time is of essence.

Cheers

Alex

Mittens

Oct 16, 2012, 4:23:31 PM10/16/12
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 13:06:57 +0100, <ala...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Many years ago I posted in here asking if anyone was making
> reproductions of joystick tips for the Vectrex. No one seemed to so I've
> decided to get some done! They will be made of aluminum and I'm trying
> to get them to resemble the original as much as I can, however, the
> problem is I don't have an original one so the machinist is basing
> himself on photos online.

Excellent news!

> I need to know 2 things from this forum:
>
> a) the width and length of the screw-on tip

9.4mm diameter at the tip, tapers to 6.2mm at the base. 20.8mm overall
length. Radius of the edge at the tip is approximately 1.5mm, the face of
the tip is concave, approximately 0.4mm deep at the centre.

I don't know what the thread is without taking mine apart.

ala...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2012, 6:06:46 PM10/16/12
Thanks for the info! He was able to figure out the thread

ComputerSpaceFan

Oct 18, 2012, 12:32:14 AM10/18/12
Please please PLEASE let me know if/when these are available. I'll buy half a dozen!

ala...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2012, 8:00:55 AM10/18/12
I got one made and I must admit it turned out fantastic! I paid $20 for the prototype but let me tell you it's a small price to pay for not gouging your thumb out with a sharp little rod!

I'm going to gather up 10 or 15 as a group order and ask him for a price per after that. My guess is it should drop to $15 or so. It's very small and light so shipping would be cheap, especially if you buy 2 or more.

I can provide a photo if needed.

Cheers

Alex

Mittens

Oct 18, 2012, 9:20:20 AM10/18/12
On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 13:00:55 +0100, <ala...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I got one made and I must admit it turned out fantastic! I paid $20 for
> the prototype but let me tell you it's a small price to pay for not
> gouging your thumb out with a sharp little rod!
>
> I'm going to gather up 10 or 15 as a group order and ask him for a price
> per after that. My guess is it should drop to $15 or so. It's very small
> and light so shipping would be cheap, especially if you buy 2 or more.
>
> I can provide a photo if needed.

Great! I would be interested to see it. Could you host a photo somewhere
and post the link?

(http://imgur.com for example is good, anonymous and free.)

ala...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2012, 2:23:33 PM10/18/12
On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:06:57 AM UTC-4, ala...@gmail.com wrote:
Here's an image of the repro

http://imgur.com/5NfTb

WizDawg

Oct 22, 2012, 11:05:48 AM10/22/12
Couldn't these be made with a 3D printer if you had access to one?

Richard H.

Oct 22, 2012, 2:53:10 PM10/22/12
>Couldn't these be made with a 3D printer if you had access to one

That's exactly what I'm doing. I've done the CAD, will try a print at
the weekend.

I'm curious if it's going to be strong enough though.

Mittens

Oct 22, 2012, 3:39:44 PM10/22/12
On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 19:23:33 +0100, <ala...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's an image of the repro
>
> http://imgur.com/5NfTb

Awesome work! That's pretty darn close to the real thing. If there's one
thing that sets it apart it looks like it's sitting ever so slightly too
far down the shaft, like the hole in the center is bored a couple of mm
too deep. The shape is near perfect.

Peteski

Oct 22, 2012, 10:42:28 PM10/22/12
On Monday, October 22, 2012 11:05:48 AM UTC-4, WizDawg wrote:
> Couldn't these be made with a 3D printer if you had access to one?

Sure, but those will have a cheap plasticity feel to them (not a nice solid metal feel of the originals). :-)

Peteski

n...@telling.you

Oct 24, 2012, 1:37:45 AM10/24/12
On 23 Oct 2012, Richard H. wrote:

>>Couldn't these be made with a 3D printer if you had access
>>to one
>
> That's exactly what I'm doing. I've done the CAD, will try
> a print at the weekend.

There is already this:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5583

Though I hope your model might be a bit more authentic looking
than that.

> I'm curious if it's going to be strong enough though.

Well as a fellow 3D printer owner (never thought I'd see
another one here!), I can't imagine any problem if using ABS
unless you have a really bad print. As for other plastics, I
don't have any experience but if it wears out after a few
years at least you can just print another one.

What we need is one of those aluminium printers!

Richard H.

Oct 24, 2012, 2:16:52 PM10/24/12
>Though I hope your model might be a bit more authentic looking

http://www.vectrex.biz/Vec_joy.jpg

Richard H.

Computer Nerd Kev

Oct 25, 2012, 2:47:25 AM10/25/12
Looks great!

What CAD software did you use?

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Richard H.

Oct 25, 2012, 1:36:25 PM10/25/12
>What CAD software did you use?

MOI

Richard H.

Richard H.

Nov 8, 2012, 6:54:03 AM11/8/12
http://www.vectrex.biz/Vec_joy_2.jpg

I can't try it because the one on my controller is stuck one, won't un-
screw.

But it seems really strong.

I'll probably do another in black (when I get some filament).

Richard H.

WizDawg

Nov 9, 2012, 1:17:48 PM11/9/12
Looks good. Well done!

Yeah black or silver would look nicer I think.

ala...@gmail.com

Nov 12, 2012, 2:59:04 PM11/12/12
On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:06:57 AM UTC-4, ala...@gmail.com wrote:
I've ordered 15 and I've got 10 ordered so far. This is the going, going gone message.

$20 for one or $15 each if 2 or more are ordered, shipping included. I'll be sending an email to the buyers at the end of this week regarding payment method.

Cheers

Alex

ComputerSpaceFan

Nov 12, 2012, 5:48:30 PM11/12/12
I'm still good for six units Alex. I know you've got my email address so I'll wait till you send me a note but I just wanted to reconfirm I want that many.

ala...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2012, 12:14:45 PM11/21/12
On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:06:57 AM UTC-4, ala...@gmail.com wrote:
Awaiting new homes! http://imgur.com/YLukJ

I'll start shipping this week. There are 5 left...

Alex

Richard H.

Nov 21, 2012, 2:31:04 PM11/21/12
I made some in silver. They look nice.

Does anyone want to try one ? (I still can't get mine to unscrew).

VectrexMad!

Nov 21, 2012, 6:13:47 PM11/21/12
On Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:31:04 PM UTC, Richard H. wrote:
> I made some in silver. They look nice. Does anyone want to try one ? (I still can't get mine to unscrew).

Yes please :)

VectrexMad!
http://www.vectrex.co.uk

WizDawg

Nov 26, 2012, 10:21:13 AM11/26/12
On Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:31:04 PM UTC-5, Richard H. wrote:
> I made some in silver. They look nice.
>

> Does anyone want to try one ? (I still can't get mine to unscrew).

Sure I'll try one and report back.

Richard H.

Nov 26, 2012, 11:18:43 AM11/26/12
OK - both of you Email me your addresses and I'll get one sent.

Richard H.

ComputerSpaceFan

Dec 1, 2012, 3:37:02 PM12/1/12
On Wednesday, 17 October 2012 21:32:14 UTC-7, ComputerSpaceFan wrote:
> Please please PLEASE let me know if/when these are available. I'll buy half a dozen!

Got my six thumbsticks last night. WOW super fast delivery! And they look awesome! Tried one on my second controller that has never had a cover and it fits great, plays great and makes a huge difference.

Thanks very much for making these!

VectrexMad!

Apr 27, 2013, 9:31:32 PM4/27/13
On Monday, November 26, 2012 4:18:44 PM UTC, Richard H. wrote:
> OK - both of you Email me your addresses and I'll get one sent.

> Richard H.

Richard, the replacment works well! Many thx.

VectrexMad!
http://www.vectrex.co.uk

Richard H.

Apr 28, 2013, 2:34:28 PM4/28/13
>the replacment works well!

Cool - glad you like it

If I ever manage to get my tip unscrewed, I'm going to try to print
them complete with the thread hole.

Richard H.

jasonbar

Jun 12, 2013, 6:08:17 PM6/12/13
Alex-

Got any more reproduction thumb sticks? :]

Thanks,
-Jason

Vectorguy

Jun 12, 2013, 10:10:34 PM6/12/13
He sold the last of them last month.

jasonbar

Jun 15, 2013, 11:54:16 AM6/15/13
Thanks for the quick and helpful reply.

And dang!

Jason

Vectorguy

Jun 15, 2013, 9:51:22 PM6/15/13
Wait, I read that wrong. I thought someone was asking if YOUR sticks were sold out.

So, let's just wait until the *correct* guy shows up and answers then :P

Richard H.

Jun 16, 2013, 1:27:13 PM6/16/13
If you want a 3D-printed thumb tip I can make you one.

jasonbar

Jun 24, 2013, 12:07:13 PM6/24/13
On Sunday, June 16, 2013 10:27:13 AM UTC-7, Richard H. wrote:
> If you want a 3D-printed thumb tip I can make you one.

Thanks for the offer, Richard. What's your cost w/ shipping to USA 91107? I'm considering a quickish 'n' dirtyish solution involving a threaded standoff with cap.

To all, I machined 1 repro thumb stick back in 2009 for one of my old Vectrexes that crossed my path. I just dug up the old SolidWorks model & drawing. Does anybody have any qualms about me sharing the model/drawing/etc? Am I stepping on the toes of anybody who is already reproducing these for fun or profit?

Thanks,
-Jason

jasonbar

Jul 8, 2013, 2:52:52 PM7/8/13
Not many peeps out of this post or the duplicate post at The Vector Gaming Forums, so I'll go ahead & share some files that I used to make a reproduction joystick way back when.

Files attached to posts in this thread: http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/thread/645/reproduction-joystick-pieces-sharing-documentation

Enjoy!

-Jason

Computer Nerd Kev

Jul 8, 2013, 8:25:57 PM7/8/13
On 09 Jul 2013, jasonbar wrote:

> Files attached to posts in this thread:
> http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/thread/645/reproduction-jo
> ystick-pieces-sharing-documentation

Those of us (or perhaps the one of us?) who aren't on the forum
can't download from there.

Any chance of the files going somewhere a little more open to
the public?

jasonbar

Jul 9, 2013, 6:27:44 PM7/9/13
Howdy-
I'm happy to share elsewhere. I don't know how to attach to usenet posts. I can e-mail you files if you contact me.
-Jason

Computer Nerd Kev

Jul 10, 2013, 5:49:04 AM7/10/13
On 10 Jul 2013, jasonbar wrote:

> Howdy-
> I'm happy to share elsewhere. I don't know how to attach to
> usenet posts. I can e-mail you files if you contact me.

Email sent.

I doubt that Google Groups allows attaching files to Usenet
posts. I just looked up the rules for my Usenet provider and
the STL might be small enough to attach. If you don't mind
I'll give it a try, though Google Groups probably won't allow
you to download it.

It might be appropriate for uploading to www.thingiverse.com
(3D printable model sharing site), where it will be free for
download. I'm a member there so I could upload it (with
attribution to you, of course) if you want.

Computer Nerd Kev

Jul 10, 2013, 8:24:51 PM7/10/13
Thanks, I'll assume you're happy for me to attach the STL to
this post. Tell me if you want the model on Thingiverse.

I'm running Xnews as my newsreader, in those that don't support
its attachments, I think you'll just get a mess of characters.

Computer Nerd Kev

Jul 10, 2013, 9:08:35 PM7/10/13
Didn't work. For some reason I can't get my format conversion
program to reduce the detail of the STL for sending in ASCII
format (binary sending is blocked by Aioe.org, as it turns out),
so I suppose I now know that I can't send 3D models as
attachments.

jasonbar

Jul 11, 2013, 1:40:42 PM7/11/13
I use Google Groups to read rgv. Feel free to post the files where you wish. Please credit me where possible.

Good luck.
-Jason

Computer Nerd Kev

Jul 18, 2013, 2:35:02 AM7/18/13
On 12 Jul 2013, jasonbar wrote:

> Feel free to post the
> files where you wish. Please credit me where possible.

I know I'm pretty slow, but here's a link to the Thingiverse
page where I just uploaded it:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:119489