(question) vote from 2 sources

gu...@mail.goo.ne.jp

Dec 25, 2007, 1:45:02 AM12/25/07
I have a bishop and he plays some political action card.

During the referendum, I have 1 vote from bishop title and another
from PA card. Is it possible to cast 1 vote specifically from bishop
title while abstaining another vote from PA card? Or do I have to
cast both of them in the same alignment, making it either 2 votes for
or against?

Salem

Dec 25, 2007, 1:55:35 AM12/25/07

All votes from one source must be cast (or not cast at all) in the same
alignment (6.3.3 in the rulebook).

The vote from the PA card comes from the Methuselah, not the minion (as
noted slightly later on in 6.3.3), therefore can be cast (or not)
independently of the bishop, even if that bishop called the political
action.

--
salem
(replace 'hotmail' with 'yahoo' to email)

gu...@mail.goo.ne.jp

Dec 25, 2007, 2:28:45 AM12/25/07
Thx, and now I know the distinction.

Jozxyqk

Dec 25, 2007, 7:35:40 AM12/25/07
Salem <salem_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The vote from the PA card comes from the Methuselah, not the minion (as
> noted slightly later on in 6.3.3), therefore can be cast (or not)
> independently of the bishop, even if that bishop called the political
> action.

Mostly correct.
The vote from the Political Action Card *must* be cast one way or the other;
you can not abstain with it.

But yes, different sources of votes can go in different directions (hence
the wording on cards like Bribes).

LSJ

Dec 25, 2007, 8:12:02 AM12/25/07
Jozxyqk wrote:
> Salem <salem_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> The vote from the PA card comes from the Methuselah, not the minion (as
>> noted slightly later on in 6.3.3), therefore can be cast (or not)
>> independently of the bishop, even if that bishop called the political
>> action.
>
> Mostly correct.

Mostly correct. Salem is 100% correct.

> The vote from the Political Action Card *must* be cast one way or the other;
> you can not abstain with it.

Um, yes you can.

> But yes, different sources of votes can go in different directions (hence
> the wording on cards like Bribes).

That's true.

Jozxyqk

Dec 25, 2007, 8:45:12 AM12/25/07
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> > The vote from the Political Action Card *must* be cast one way or the other;
> > you can not abstain with it.

> Um, yes you can.

Hm. I think we've always played that "gaining" votes made them mandatory to
cast.

If a vote "gained" by a Methuselah in this way isn't mandatory to cast, then:

* Can a vampire play Dread Gaze and still abstain (just to cycle the card)?

* Can a Methuselah tap Ventrue Headquarters and not cast those votes?

* Can a Methuselah burn the Edge to "gain a vote" and not cast it?
(For example, to untap Sennadurek but not affect the referendum)

Apparently yes, but I never thought of it that way.

"Political Action Cards. Each Methuselah may gain one vote by using a political
action card. These cards say "worth 1 vote" to indicate this. If a political
action card was used to call the referendum, that card provides a vote for the
acting vampire's controller. Other political action cards used for votes are
simply burned without regard to the text on the cards. Each Methuselah can
gain no more than 1 vote from political action cards."

"The Edge. The Methuselah who has the Edge can burn it (return it, uncontrolled,
to the center area) to gain 1 vote."

Also surprised that LSJ is responding to messages on Christmas :)

Happy denominationally-appropriate seasonal celebratory event to all!

LSJ

Dec 25, 2007, 8:51:28 AM12/25/07
Jozxyqk wrote:
> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>>> The vote from the Political Action Card *must* be cast one way or the other;
>>> you can not abstain with it.
>
>> Um, yes you can.
>
> Hm. I think we've always played that "gaining" votes made them mandatory to
> cast.

"Once gained, a vote need not be cast right away, if at all." [6.3.3]

> If a vote "gained" by a Methuselah in this way isn't mandatory to cast, then:
>
> * Can a vampire play Dread Gaze and still abstain (just to cycle the card)?
>
> * Can a Methuselah tap Ventrue Headquarters and not cast those votes?
>
> * Can a Methuselah burn the Edge to "gain a vote" and not cast it?
> (For example, to untap Sennadurek but not affect the referendum)
>
> Apparently yes, but I never thought of it that way.

Yes.

> "Political Action Cards. Each Methuselah may gain one vote by using a political
> action card. These cards say "worth 1 vote" to indicate this. If a political
> action card was used to call the referendum, that card provides a vote for the
> acting vampire's controller. Other political action cards used for votes are
> simply burned without regard to the text on the cards. Each Methuselah can
> gain no more than 1 vote from political action cards."
>
> "The Edge. The Methuselah who has the Edge can burn it (return it, uncontrolled,
> to the center area) to gain 1 vote."
>
> Also surprised that LSJ is responding to messages on Christmas :)

I figured, as long as I was up...

Salem

Dec 25, 2007, 8:50:15 PM12/25/07
LSJ wrote:
> Jozxyqk wrote:

>> Also surprised that LSJ is responding to messages on Christmas :)
>
> I figured, as long as I was up...

You're like Santa, and rulings are our presents.

:)