Some questions about canceling action cards.

Drago13

May 21, 2010, 3:13:36 PM5/21/10
We had an argument with some of my gaming group members about
canceling/burning action cards as they are played by DI/Rewind time
and I understood that they (or maybe me myself) aren't exactly clear
how they work.

I'm sorry for asking these questions, because I probably
can find all answers to them if I look carefully,
but I just want to have all answers here,
in one place for my gaming group to see.

1) If I play an action modifier (Conditioning, Shadow play...) and
someone uses DI on it
or cancels it by any other mean (Shape mastery, Iron heart and so on),
I can't play another because even if it cancelled, it was played
anyway, true?

2) On the other hand, If I play an Action card (Govern, Alastor and so
on...) and someone cancels it (with DI),
I CAN attemt the same action, and even use the same action card,
because even if card was played,
the action itself wasn't attempted at all, right?

3) If it was something like Reins of power, then it can't be attempted
because the CARD (not the action) can be played once per game.

4) So, if someone uses Evil Eye (which cancels my action card) on my
KRC, I can try again (provided I can untap)

5) If someone uses Rewind Time (which burns my action card) on my KRC,
I can try again too, right?

6) Is canceling action card a synonym to burning an action card? So is
Rewind Time effect any different from Evil Eye one? (Except for tap
the minion part ofcourse)
So if my Johannes Castelein calles KRC and someone uses Evil Eye on
it, he burns 2 pool (Says ''When canceled''). Does he burn 2 pool for
using Rewind Time on it as well? (Burned, not cancelled)

Thank you.

Evil Eye

Do not replace until your untap phase.
[mal] [COMBAT] Cancel a strike card played by the opposing minion as
it is played
(no cost is paid). The opposing minion cannot choose another strike
and gets no strike instead. [mal] is not a Discipline.
[MAL] [REACTION] Cancel an action card as it is played and tap the
acting minion.

Rewind Time

[pre] Reduce a bleed against you by 1.
[tem] Burn an action card as it is played (the acting minion is not
tapped).
[TEM] Burn a non-out-of-turn master card as it is played during any
other Methuselah's master phase (no cost is paid).
The Methuselah who played that card gains another master phase
action.

Direct intervention

Cancel a minion card as it is played.
No cost is paid. (If it was an action card, the acting minion doesn't
tap. If it was a strike card, the minion chooses another strike.)

Johannes Castelein

Camarilla Prince of Amsterdam:
If a political action card Johannes plays
or a referendum he calls is canceled, the Methuselah canceling it
burns 2 pool.

LSJ

May 21, 2010, 3:59:46 PM5/21/10
On May 21, 3:13 pm, Drago13 <eduard.kep...@mf.vu.lt> wrote:
> We had an argument with some of my gaming group members about
> canceling/burning action cards as they are played by DI/Rewind time
> and I understood that they (or maybe me myself) aren't exactly clear
> how they work.
>
> I'm sorry for asking these questions, because I probably
> can find all answers to them if I look carefully,
> but I just want to have all answers here,
> in one place for my gaming group to see.
>
> 1) If I play an action modifier (Conditioning, Shadow play...) and
> someone uses DI on it
> or cancels it by any other mean (Shape mastery, Iron heart and so on),
> I can't play another because even if it cancelled, it was played
> anyway, true?

Correct.

This is the general case: "cancel as played" leaves the card still
"played" (so if the rules or card text offers a restriction on "play"
that restriction counts this canceled play as a play).

> 2) On the other hand, If I play an Action card (Govern, Alastor and so
> on...) and someone cancels it (with DI),
> I CAN attemt the same action, and even use the same action card,
> because even if card was played,
> the action itself wasn't attempted at all, right?

Correct.

> 3) If it was something like Reins of power, then it can't be attempted
> because the CARD (not the action) can be played once per game.

Correct.

> 4) So, if someone uses Evil Eye (which cancels my action card) on my
> KRC, I can try again (provided I can untap)

Correct.

> 5) If someone uses Rewind Time (which burns my action card) on my KRC,
> I can try again too, right?

Correct.

> 6) Is canceling action card a synonym to burning an action card? So is

Not in general.

> Rewind Time effect any different from Evil Eye one? (Except for tap
> the minion part ofcourse)

Both Rewind Time and Evil Eye "cancel" the action card. (Rewind Time's
text was updated to use the proper terminology in the Legacies of
Blood reprinting of it).

> So if my Johannes Castelein calles KRC and someone uses Evil Eye on
> it, he burns 2 pool (Says ''When canceled''). Does he burn 2 pool for
> using Rewind Time on it as well? (Burned, not cancelled)

"canceled", so yes.

brandonsantacruz

May 21, 2010, 4:00:13 PM5/21/10
On May 21, 12:13 pm, Drago13 <eduard.kep...@mf.vu.lt> wrote:
> We had an argument with some of my gaming group members about
> canceling/burning action cards as they are played by DI/Rewind time
> and I understood that they (or maybe me myself) aren't exactly clear
> how they work.
>
> I'm sorry for asking these questions, because I probably
> can find all answers to them if I look carefully,
> but I just want to have all answers here,
> in one place for my gaming group to see.

It's not too much to ask. If different people are asking the same
question somewhat frequently, it may be because the answer is unclear
or there are just more new players.

> 1) If I play an action modifier (Conditioning, Shadow play...) and
> someone uses DI on it
> or cancels it by any other mean (Shape mastery, Iron heart and so on),
> I can't play another because even if it cancelled, it was played
> anyway, true?

Yes, that's correct. That's why you wait to DI the conditioning that
would kill you.

> 2) On the other hand, If I play an Action card (Govern, Alastor and so
> on...) and someone cancels it (with DI),
> I CAN attemt the same action, and even use the same action card,
> because even if card was played,
> the action itself wasn't attempted at all, right?

Right.

> 3) If it was something like Reins of power, then it can't be attempted
> because the CARD (not the action) can be played once per game.

Yes, the card can only be played once. The action type isn't tainted
by the "no repeat action" rule, so you could call another vote(i.e.
ancient influence).

> 4) So, if someone uses Evil Eye (which cancels my action card) on my
> KRC, I can try again (provided I can untap)

That sounds right, but I'm not 100% sure.

> 5) If someone uses Rewind Time (which burns my action card) on my KRC,
> I can try again too, right?

Right.

> 6) Is canceling action card a synonym to burning an action card? So is

> Rewind Time effect any different from Evil Eye one? (Except for tap
> the minion part ofcourse)

It's canceling, not burning. Burning is what you do to cards in play.
Rewind Time and Evil Eye basically operate in the same way, with that
subtle difference. I think you have the wrong card text for Rewind
Time. Look here: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=Cardlist_R#Rewind_Time

> So if my Johannes Castelein calles KRC and someone uses Evil Eye on
> it, he burns 2 pool (Says ''When canceled''). Does he burn 2 pool for
> using Rewind Time on it as well? (Burned, not cancelled)

It's canceled. Burn 2 pool and like it.

brandonsantacruz

May 21, 2010, 4:01:49 PM5/21/10
On May 21, 12:59 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote: