[LSJ] Charming Lobby and Direct Intervention

Ethan Burrow

May 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/7/00
I'm not sure if this has come up since the RTR on Charming Lobby.

Player A plays a Charming Lobby and declares his vote, replaces Charming
Lobby. No blockers. Player A plays the vote card from his hand that he
intended and replaces it. Player B plays Direct Intervention on the vote
card.

Is this permissible? And if so does it make Charming Lobby "fizzle" (for
lack of a better word) if Player A does not have a duplicate of the same vote
card in his hand?

Ethan Burrow - Prince of Austin
et...@ddg.com
http://whitestar.ddg.com/vtes/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

The Lasombra

May 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/7/00
In article <8f2gd4$vkc$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Ethan Burrow <saa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if this has come up since the RTR on Charming Lobby.
>
> Player A plays a Charming Lobby and declares his vote, replaces
> Charming Lobby.
> No blockers.
> Player A plays the vote card from his hand that he intended and
> replaces it.
> Player B plays Direct Intervention on the vote card.
>
> Is this permissible? And if so does it make Charming Lobby "fizzle"
> (for lack of a better word) if Player A does not have a duplicate of
> the same vote card in his hand?

More appropriately, this might be asked as, if card X
allows card Y into play, can you use Direct Intervention
on Y? and what happens to X if you can?

X Y
Charming Lobby Actual Vote
Disquised Weapon The Weapon
Concealed Weapon The Weapon
Magic of the Smith The Equipment

Or, must you Direct Intervention the X card to have
any effect on that sequence?

Also, if you take an action like the one on Vast Wealth,
can you Direct Intervention the equipment card when it
comes into play?

Carpe Noctem.

Lasombra

http://members.tripod.com/~Lasombra

Ethan Burrow

May 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/7/00
Sure, steal my "thunder" ;-)

In article <8f2tgh$d9f$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
The Lasombra <TheLa...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> More appropriately, this might be asked as, if card X
> allows card Y into play, can you use Direct Intervention
> on Y? and what happens to X if you can?

Ethan Burrow - Prince of Austin
et...@ddg.com
http://whitestar.ddg.com/vtes/

LSJ

May 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/7/00
The Lasombra <TheLa...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ethan Burrow <saa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Player A plays a Charming Lobby and declares his vote, replaces
> > Charming Lobby.
> > No blockers.
> > Player A plays the vote card from his hand that he intended and
> > replaces it.
> > Player B plays Direct Intervention on the vote card.
> >
> > Is this permissible? And if so does it make Charming Lobby "fizzle"
> > (for lack of a better word) if Player A does not have a duplicate of
> > the same vote card in his hand?
>
> More appropriately, this might be asked as, if card X
> allows card Y into play, can you use Direct Intervention
> on Y? and what happens to X if you can?
>
> X Y
> Charming Lobby Actual Vote
> Disguised Weapon The Weapon

> Concealed Weapon The Weapon
> Magic of the Smith The Equipment
>
> Or, must you Direct Intervention the X card to have
> any effect on that sequence?

Disguised/Concealed Weapon: You can DI the card itself (in
which case the weapon is not played), or you can DI the
weapon. [LSJ 04-MAY-1999]

That ruling parallels nicely to Charming Lobby: you can DI
either the Lobby or the vote card (if any). In either case, the
action "fizzles" and the acting vampire is untapped.

For Magic of the Smith, the parallel is less clear, but I'd say
that it works the same way as Disguised Weapon.

> Also, if you take an action like the one on Vast Wealth,
> can you Direct Intervention the equipment card when it
> comes into play?

Yes, similar to the ruling on Sudden Reversal vs. Bindusara's
ability.

This DI stuff is starting to look a little messy (when to untap,
when to intervene, etc.), so I'll put it on the RT list for review.

--
LSJ (vte...@white-wolf.com) VTES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
Links to revised rulebook, rulings, errata, and DCI (tournament) rules:

Sorrow

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
> That ruling parallels nicely to Charming Lobby: you can DI
> either the Lobby or the vote card (if any). In either case, the
> action "fizzles" and the acting vampire is untapped.

What happens if you have another of that same type of vote?
If you DI the Charming Lobby, you can perform Charming
Lobby with that same minion on that same turn. So it would
stand to reason that if you DI the subsequent KRC, if the
player has another KRC in his/her hand, that player should be
able to play the KRC and continue with the Lobby...

Sorrow
---
I keep telling them that I think they're out to get me.
They ask me if I feel remose and I answer, "Why of course!
There's so much more I could have done if they'd let me!"
So it's Rorschach and Prozac and everything is groovy

LSJ

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
Sorrow wrote:

> > That ruling parallels nicely to Charming Lobby: you can DI
> > either the Lobby or the vote card (if any). In either case, the
> > action "fizzles" and the acting vampire is untapped.
>
> What happens if you have another of that same type of vote?

It doesn't matter.
Just as having a second copy of the weapon that was DI'ed after
playing a Disguised Weapon wouldn't matter.

> If you DI the Charming Lobby, you can perform Charming
> Lobby with that same minion on that same turn. So it would
> stand to reason that if you DI the subsequent KRC, if the
> player has another KRC in his/her hand, that player should be
> able to play the KRC and continue with the Lobby...

Sorry. You could play another Lobby and choose the other copy
of the referendum, though.

As I said, though, this is pretty screwy, and is on the RT list.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

tetragr...@my-deja.com

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
In article <391855EF...@white-wolf.com>,

LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> Sorrow wrote:
> >
> > > That ruling parallels nicely to Charming Lobby: you can DI
> > > either the Lobby or the vote card (if any). In either case, the
> > > action "fizzles" and the acting vampire is untapped.
> >
> > What happens if you have another of that same type of vote?
>
> It doesn't matter.
> Just as having a second copy of the weapon that was DI'ed after
> playing a Disguised Weapon wouldn't matter.
>
> > If you DI the Charming Lobby, you can perform Charming
> > Lobby with that same minion on that same turn. So it would
> > stand to reason that if you DI the subsequent KRC, if the
> > player has another KRC in his/her hand, that player should be
> > able to play the KRC and continue with the Lobby...
>
> Sorry. You could play another Lobby and choose the other copy
> of the referendum, though.
>
> As I said, though, this is pretty screwy, and is on the RT list.

Sorry, a question here.
The above means that an action canceled with a Direct Intervention is
not under the NRA rule?
Is right?
Thanks
Emiliano, Prince of Rome

> --
> LSJ (vte...@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
> Links to revised rulebook, rulings, errata, and tournament rules:
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

LSJ

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
tetragr...@my-deja.com wrote:
> [...] an action canceled with a Direct Intervention is

> not under the NRA rule?

Correct. [LSJ 21-JUL-1998]:
http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=373473987