LSJ- Slave Rule

XZealot

Jan 8, 2003, 10:50:47 AM1/8/03
Does the slave rule beat obedience? If say Jing Wei is blocked and
obedience is played, then could I institute the slave rule and enter combat
with the reacting minion?

Also, under the rules it says that when you block someone that you tap and
enter combat. Since nothing in VTES is simultaneous, what comes first the
tapping or the entering combat?

--
Comments Welcome,
Norman S. Brown, Jr.

LSJ

Jan 8, 2003, 10:50:54 AM1/8/03
XZealot wrote:

> Does the slave rule beat obedience?

The rule doesn't, no.

But the sequencing rule would allow the acting player to activate the slave
rule before the defending player could play Obedience, yes.
[LSJ 04-NOV-2001]
Google: "slave obedience author:LSJ"

> If say Jing Wei is blocked and
> obedience is played, then could I institute the slave rule and enter combat
> with the reacting minion?

Yes.

> Also, under the rules it says that when you block someone that you tap and
> enter combat. Since nothing in VTES is simultaneous, what comes first the
> tapping or the entering combat?

As you say, the tapping.
But you don't tap until you're about to enter combat, in case you're worried
about Obedience's timing (it is played before you tap, of course).

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

LSJ

Jan 8, 2003, 10:52:41 AM1/8/03
LSJ wrote:

> XZealot wrote:
> >
> > Does the slave rule beat obedience?
>
> The rule doesn't, no.
>
> But the sequencing rule would allow the acting player to activate the slave
> rule before the defending player could play Obedience, yes.
> [LSJ 04-NOV-2001]
> Google: "slave obedience author:LSJ"
>
> > If say Jing Wei is blocked and
> > obedience is played, then could I institute the slave rule and enter combat
> > with the reacting minion?
>
> Yes.

Sorry, that should be: no.
After the Obedience is played, the action is ended (card text).
The slave rule cannot be applied after the action ends.

Jeff Kuta

Jan 8, 2003, 2:54:20 PM1/8/03
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3E1C4949...@white-wolf.com>...
> LSJ wrote:

> > XZealot wrote:
> > > If say Jing Wei is blocked and
> > > obedience is played, then could I institute the slave rule and enter combat
> > > with the reacting minion?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Sorry, that should be: no.
> After the Obedience is played, the action is ended (card text).
> The slave rule cannot be applied after the action ends.

So to clarify the clarification for someone like me who's onclear on
the concept...

Jing Wei's controller has the opportunity, after she's blocked, to
say, "Hey, you enter combat with my slave instead," which then
happens.

I guess this just means the blocking vampire's controller should ask
if the acting minion's slaves are going to join the fray before
playing any "about to enter combat" reaction cards then.

Jeff

Joshua Duffin

Jan 8, 2003, 3:04:02 PM1/8/03

"Jeff Kuta" <jeff...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:621dd332.03010...@posting.google.com...

[re Slave rule vs Obedience]

> So to clarify the clarification for someone like me who's onclear on
> the concept...
>
> Jing Wei's controller has the opportunity, after she's blocked, to
> say, "Hey, you enter combat with my slave instead," which then
> happens.

Yes, correct. And Obedience is not playable vs the slave (since
the slave is not an acting vampire).

> I guess this just means the blocking vampire's controller should ask
> if the acting minion's slaves are going to join the fray before
> playing any "about to enter combat" reaction cards then.

It might be more proper for the acting Methuselah (whose job it
typically is to run things on his or her own turn) to tell the
blocking Meth not to play any "when blocked" cards until he or
she decides whether to invoke the slave rule. But the effect is
essentially the same. :-)

Josh

i'm a ... slaaaave to you
(somebody had to do it)

LSJ

Jan 8, 2003, 3:12:10 PM1/8/03

Right. (It is "more proper" for the blocking vampire's controller
to avoid jumping the gun withut requiring the acting vampire's
controller to remind her of the rule, I'd say.)

The blocker has to wait for a Change of Target anyhow, so waiting
for the slave invocation at the same time is no additional hardship.