nethack.alt.org down, but not out

dtype

Aug 7, 2007, 12:28:35 PM8/7/07
nethack.alt.org suffered a failure of its boot drive, but all of the
data appears to be ok. The drive just keeps getting kicked by the SCSI
card.

I'll be replacing this drive, and getting things set back up, but in
the meantime, NAO will be down for a few days. I'm hoping to get this
done on Thursday, but failing that, it will be Friday or the weekend.

I apologize for the inconvenience, and thanks again to all of the
players that make NAO a fun place to be.

-drew

funcrunch

Aug 7, 2007, 12:41:06 PM8/7/07
On Aug 7, 9:28 am, dtype <drew.str...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I apologize for the inconvenience, and thanks again to all of the
> players that make NAO a fun place to be.

Thanks for all your hard work on this server. I do hope that 78291
doesn't have a real-life aneuryism. ;-)

- funcrunch

Derek Ray

Aug 7, 2007, 12:48:43 PM8/7/07

Actually, he's already played a few games on sporkhack.nineball.org. :)

--
Derek

Changelog: http://nethack.nineball.org
Beta Server: telnet://sporkhack.nineball.org
IRC: irc.freenode.net, #sporkhack

Janis Papanagnou

Aug 7, 2007, 1:07:30 PM8/7/07
funcrunch wrote:
> On Aug 7, 9:28 am, dtype <drew.str...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I apologize for the inconvenience, and thanks again to all of the
>>players that make NAO a fun place to be.
>
> Thanks for all your hard work on this server.

I second that. A big "Thank you!" for all the effort and quality of
service! (To you and to all who support the server.)

Janis, hoping that his current NAO character has not been erased due
to that failure. 8-/

carlh...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2007, 1:30:26 PM8/7/07
On Aug 7, 9:28 am, dtype <drew.str...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for all of your hard work and taking such good care of NAO.
Having NAO down for a few days isn't really an inconvenience so much
as it is a chance for me to get some work done around the house!
(Just kidding ... well, ok, maybe not)

René Torenstra

Aug 7, 2007, 6:15:58 PM8/7/07
dtype, 7-8-2007 18:28:
*grin*

Just today, I tried to visit for the first time.
Sounds like something the RNG could come up with :)

René.

--
"I've mortgaged all my castles in the air" -- Tom Adair
Remove [spam] for e-mail.

Message has been deleted

dtype

Aug 12, 2007, 2:17:12 AM8/12/07
OK, we're back for the most part.

* Restoring of games in progress are still up in the air, but we'll
work on them. To be honest, though, I don't hold out much hope for
most of them.
* Saved games are fine.
* High scores are fine.
* Accounts created in the few hours before the crash may have to be re-
created.
* The alt.org/nethack website is still down, but will come back soon.
* The games themselves are back in full!

Thanks for all of the support.

-drew

dtype

Aug 12, 2007, 2:27:10 AM8/12/07
On Aug 11, 11:17 pm, dtype <drew.str...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all of the support.

And a special thanks to paxed for helping out with all of the
diagnosis, and especially for helping out with all of the restoration
of the nao website (much work to come).

-drew

Jove

Aug 12, 2007, 5:14:57 AM8/12/07
On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 23:27:10 -0700, dtype wrote in
<1186900030.6...@z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com>:

Thanks to you and paxed both for running a great site.

If a Paypal button for donations is too much trouble (and imho it
probably is), then you and paxed should consider setting up Amazon
Gift lists so the teeming dozens can show their appreciation.

--
Welcome to NetHack. | I take what I'm given.
| You exploit the game.
All the best, | He's an abusive cheater.
Jove (Joe Bednorz)

Janis Papanagnou

Aug 12, 2007, 7:47:09 AM8/12/07
dtype wrote:
> OK, we're back for the most part.

Thanks!

> * Restoring of games in progress are still up in the air, but we'll
> work on them. To be honest, though, I don't hold out much hope for
> most of them.

Please keep us informed about that. (I guess we shouldn't start any
new game until the fate of the interrupted games are determined?)

Janis

dtype

Aug 12, 2007, 12:05:59 PM8/12/07
On Aug 12, 4:47 am, Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanag...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> > * Restoring of games in progress are still up in the air, but we'll
> > work on them. To be honest, though, I don't hold out much hope for
> > most of them.
>
> Please keep us informed about that. (I guess we shouldn't start any
> new game until the fate of the interrupted games are determined?)

It doesn't matter. The save games from pre-crash are preserved on a
completely different disk than the production game. We'll be doing any
manual restores off of that 2nd disk. I'm just waiting to sync up with
paxed on this, as he's a good bit more technically savvy on the save
game files than I am.

So there's no harm in playing now. If a restore is possible, then
we'll just work one-on-one to insert the older savegame in whenever it
is appropriate.

-drew

Janis Papanagnou

Aug 12, 2007, 7:57:48 PM8/12/07
dtype wrote:
> On Aug 12, 4:47 am, Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanag...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>>* Restoring of games in progress are still up in the air, but we'll
>>>work on them. To be honest, though, I don't hold out much hope for
>>>most of them.
>>
>>Please keep us informed about that. (I guess we shouldn't start any
>>new game until the fate of the interrupted games are determined?)
>
> It doesn't matter. The save games from pre-crash are preserved on a
> completely different disk than the production game.

Oh, I was rather worrying about the _level files_ of the interrupted
games, where you said there's at least a bit hope to be recoverable.

> We'll be doing any manual restores off of that 2nd disk.

I assume the level files are also on the same machine so there's also
no interference if one plays a new game.

> I'm just waiting to sync up with
> paxed on this, as he's a good bit more technically savvy on the save
> game files than I am.
>
> So there's no harm in playing now. If a restore is possible, then
> we'll just work one-on-one to insert the older savegame in whenever it
> is appropriate.

And aside from save files; I'd be interested especially in the fate of
the interrupted game. Or is all hope already gone with those games? 8-|

Janis

dtype

Aug 14, 2007, 11:25:51 AM8/14/07
On Aug 12, 4:57 pm, Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanag...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> And aside from save files; I'd be interested especially in the fate of
> the interrupted game. Or is all hope already gone with those games? 8-|

I've talked to paxed, and he says that as of last night, he's restored
all of the games in progress that were recoverable. So I hope yours
was in that group. If not, I'm really sorry for the lost game.

Games in progress are quite difficult with nethack during any kind of
system crash, as the recover program isn't particularly resilient, and
only works if no given full level file write went incomplete.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard to modify nethack to perform some
sort of file journaling for level files in progress. (Write one
completely and verify before killing the old one.) That would make
recovery a lot more reliable.

-drew

Janis Papanagnou

Aug 14, 2007, 12:13:18 PM8/14/07
dtype wrote:
> On Aug 12, 4:57 pm, Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanag...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>And aside from save files; I'd be interested especially in the fate of
>>the interrupted game. Or is all hope already gone with those games? 8-|
>
> I've talked to paxed, and he says that as of last night, he's restored
> all of the games in progress that were recoverable. So I hope yours
> was in that group. If not, I'm really sorry for the lost game.

I suppose the restored files are available through telnet, now; and
if I do a l'ogin and p'lay and I am asked to select a new character
that means that it is definitely lost now? <sigh> ;-(

Well.., okay then, that's NH life. (And reminds me Krysia's Crusader's
real-life cat event.) Seems like I am doomed to continue failing with
my Tourists. Nevermind.

Thanks again for all your efforts!

Janis