Seven Day Roguelike 2009: Call For Dates

Jeff Lait

Jan 21, 2009, 7:14:57 AM1/21/09
It is now time for the fifth annual Seven Day Roguelilke Challenge!

Roguelike authors are faced with the grueling challenge of making a
complete roguelike within one hundred and sixty eight hours. With
another year of wisdom, and another year's worth of new hopefuls, what
will the results be?

First, what is a Seven Day Roguelike?

A Seven Day Roguelike is a roguelike created in seven days. This means
the author stopped writing code one hundred and sixty eight hours
after starting to write code.

For more details on the history of Seven Day Roguelikes, check the
RogueBasin:
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=7DRL

A Seven Day Roguelike (7DRL) can be written at any time. However, a
general agreement was reached that it would be fun to schedule a
specific week for a challenge. This allows the various authors to
know that others are also desperately tracking down a bad pointer
reference on the 167th hour.

Now, we must choose a week.

For a given week, you can start at any time on the Saturday or Sunday.
You start by posting to rec.games.roguelike.development. Your
timelimit is then 168 hours from that point. Thus, if you started on
February 24th at 15:00 EDT, you must finish on March 2nd at 15:00
EDT. You finish (if successful) with an announcement to
rec.games.roguelike.announce.

You can use either your timezone, or the timezone of the computer you
are working on. The start and end timezones have to be, of course,
the same.

Due to obvious USENET propagation issues (coupled with
rec.games.roguelike.announce being moderated), the time stamps of your
messages are not authoritative. We are working, obviously, on the
honour system.

As per tradition, three weeks have been selected. January is right
out, as that is not enough warning. Same goes for first week of
February. The following two weeks can easily run into Valentines, and
I don't want any angry significant others tracking me down.

Thus, the available weeks are:

1) February 21st to March 1st
2) February 28th to March 8th
3) March 7th to March 15th

Please post a reply to this message listing *all* weeks that you would
be able & willing to participate.

Ie, I would post and say: "I can attend all three weeks". If you
reply more than once, the latest reply will be used as the final
result.

Next Wednesday I'll take a count to see which week has the most votes.
In case of tie, the *latest* date will be picked. This is designed to
bias the contest date to the previous year's date.
--
Jeff Lait

uschkinre...@gmx.de

Jan 21, 2009, 7:34:03 AM1/21/09

Favourite March7th to March15th - Basically every of the three weeks

Greetings
Michael

Sir_Lewk

Jan 21, 2009, 9:21:20 AM1/21/09
March 7th to March 15th would be grand for me, right before my next
quater of school starts.

regards,

konijn_

Jan 21, 2009, 9:33:58 AM1/21/09
On Jan 21, 7:14 am, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It is now time for the fifth annual Seven Day Roguelilke Challenge!
<snip>

1) February 21st to March 1st
2) February 28th to March 8th

are ok.

T.

David A

Jan 21, 2009, 9:59:29 AM1/21/09
I'm going to try this, finally.

March 7th to March 15th

David Ayers
http://iamagiantnerd.com

Ido Yehieli

Jan 21, 2009, 10:20:40 AM1/21/09
3) March 7th to March 15th

-Ido.

Darren Grey

Jan 21, 2009, 12:01:06 PM1/21/09
On Jan 21, 12:14 pm, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thus, the available weeks are:
>
> 1) February 21st to March 1st
> 2) February 28th to March 8th
> 3) March 7th to March 15th

Option 3 is likely to be best for me (assuming I'll be able to
participate).

--
Darren Grey

Nik Coughlin

Jan 21, 2009, 2:42:05 PM1/21/09

"Jeff Lait" <torespon...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

idontexist

Jan 21, 2009, 4:03:23 PM1/21/09

Option 1 is best for me. Not sure if i can participate in the others.
I mite do an early entry if i find out that i cannot.

Slash

Jan 21, 2009, 5:01:28 PM1/21/09
On Jan 21, 7:14 am, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It is now time for the fifth annual Seven Day Roguelilke Challenge!

> Next Wednesday I'll take a count to see which week has the most votes.

> In case of tie, the *latest* date will be picked.  This is designed to
> bias the contest date to the previous year's date.

3) March 7th to March 15th

--
Slashie

corremn

Jan 21, 2009, 6:21:21 PM1/21/09
Looks like I will probably be screwed no mater what week. My wife will
be having a baby around the end of February.

I doubt I can enter though.

Perhaps March 7th to March 15th maybe my best bet.

dcre...@odu.edu

Jan 21, 2009, 6:30:32 PM1/21/09
On Jan 21, 7:14 am, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thus, the available weeks are:
>
> 1) February 21st to March 1st
> 2) February 28th to March 8th
> 3) March 7th to March 15th

March 7th to March 15th.

b.he...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2009, 7:10:03 PM1/21/09
>3) March 7th to March 15th

^^^^ That one.

Nate879

Jan 21, 2009, 7:24:55 PM1/21/09
I can participate any week, but March 7th to March 15th might be the
best for me.

Numeron

Jan 21, 2009, 8:55:44 PM1/21/09
> 1) February 21st to March 1st
> 2) February 28th to March 8th
> 3) March 7th to March 15th

Option 1 or 2 is best for me.

-Numeron

Perdurabo

Jan 22, 2009, 7:36:51 AM1/22/09
On Jan 22, 1:55 am, Numeron <irunsofastineedafinonmyh...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

I'm going to take part in this as well, any date is good for me,
though I'd prefer 1).

Best,
P.

Malte Helmert

Jan 22, 2009, 7:01:05 PM1/22/09
Jeff Lait wrote:
> As per tradition, three weeks have been selected. January is right
> out, as that is not enough warning. Same goes for first week of
> February. The following two weeks can easily run into Valentines, and
> I don't want any angry significant others tracking me down.
>
> Thus, the available weeks are:
>
> 1) February 21st to March 1st
> 2) February 28th to March 8th
> 3) March 7th to March 15th
>
> Please post a reply to this message listing *all* weeks that you would
> be able & willing to participate.

I could attend the first week.

Malte

Gamer_2k4

Jan 22, 2009, 9:24:41 PM1/22/09
On Jan 21, 6:14 am, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> 1) February 21st to March 1st
> 2) February 28th to March 8th
> 3) March 7th to March 15th

Option 2 is best for me, because I'm on break that week.

--
Gamer_2k4

Slash

Jan 22, 2009, 10:33:12 PM1/22/09
On Jan 21, 7:14 am, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It is now time for the fifth annual Seven Day Roguelilke Challenge!

Kornel is jailed and cant post here, but he says he votes for the
first week!

--
Kornel
DoomRL, AliensRL, Berserk!

elwood...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2009, 1:41:30 PM1/23/09
I'm in.

My vote: > February 21st to March 1st or March 7th to March 15th

Peter Harkins

Jan 23, 2009, 2:38:17 PM1/23/09
On Jan 21, 7:14 am, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> 1) February 21st to March 1st
> 2) February 28th to March 8th

These work for me; prefer #1 if possible.

Going to dust off my Ruby tinkerings and build a game about stealth, I
think.

Timofei Shatrov

Jan 24, 2009, 6:05:41 AM1/24/09
On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:33:12 -0800 (PST), Slash <java....@gmail.com> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

>On Jan 21, 7:14=A0am, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> It is now time for the fifth annual Seven Day Roguelilke Challenge!
>>

>Kornel is jailed and cant post here

Wow, really? Is writing roguelikes now illegal in Poland?

--
|Don't believe this - you're not worthless ,gr---------.ru
|It's us against millions and we can't take them all... | ue il |
|But we can take them on! | @ma |
| (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip) |______________|

Slash

Jan 24, 2009, 10:58:23 AM1/24/09
On Jan 24, 6:05 am, g...@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:33:12 -0800 (PST), Slash <java.ko...@gmail.com> tried to

> confuse everyone with this message:
>
> >On Jan 21, 7:14=A0am, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> It is now time for the fifth annual Seven Day Roguelilke Challenge!
>
> >Kornel is jailed and cant post here
>
> Wow, really? Is writing roguelikes now illegal in Poland?ç

Actually, he STOPPED doing roguelikes, a deadly mistake on a
roguelikish government.
--
Slashie

pau...@mbnet.fi

Jan 24, 2009, 2:41:54 PM1/24/09
On 24 tammi, 17:58, Slash <java.ko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, he STOPPED doing roguelikes, a deadly mistake on a
> roguelikish government.

So, what he did then? I hope this is a joke..

Gamer_2k4

Jan 24, 2009, 3:18:09 PM1/24/09
On Jan 24, 5:05 am, g...@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:33:12 -0800 (PST), Slash <java.ko...@gmail.com> tried to

> confuse everyone with this message:
> >Kornel is jailed and cant post here
>
> Wow, really? Is writing roguelikes now illegal in Poland?

I sure hope not; I hear that's their number one export.

--
Gamer_2k4

keith

Jan 25, 2009, 6:36:37 AM1/25/09
I vote for march. This way I also wont forget the march 8 date.

Jeff Lait pravi:

Jeff Lait

Jan 25, 2009, 12:45:24 PM1/25/09
On Jan 21, 7:14 am, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thus, the available weeks are:
>
> 1) February 21st to March 1st
> 2) February 28th to March 8th
> 3) March 7th to March 15th

I can attend all three weeks.

Jeff Lait

Jan 25, 2009, 12:46:42 PM1/25/09
On Jan 25, 6:36 am, keith <johndoe64...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I vote for march. This way I also wont forget the march 8 date.

By march, do you mean you vote for the last two weeks, or only the
last week? Lacking clarification, I'll put this as vote for weeks 2 &
3.

keith

Jan 26, 2009, 3:41:58 AM1/26/09
Jeff Lait pravi:

I meant:

Christopher Brandt

Jan 26, 2009, 7:47:09 AM1/26/09
On 21 Jan., 13:14, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

> Please post a reply to this message listing *all* weeks that you would
> be able & willing to participate.

<snip>

Haven't done anything roguelike-like in a while, mostly because of
university. Well seems that I have holidays starting from March 5th,
so

3) March 7th to March 15th

would be my favourite (and probably the only) week to get back into
roguelike development.

Christopher Brandt

Message has been deleted

dominik...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2009, 8:29:13 AM1/26/09
On 24 Sty, 21:18, Gamer_2k4 <gamer...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I sure hope not; I hear that's their number one export.

Indeed, we do have quite a few RL devs :). From what Kornel told me,
had too little time now to do RLs, I think he got a new job or
something. I'll try to make up for that loss and finally release
something, even if it's an unfinished feature demonstration :).

Oh, I won't participate in the 7DRL challenge due to little time (I
code only during weekends) and too little experience in making RLs...
Not this year, at least :).

Mingos

jice

Jan 26, 2009, 9:28:55 AM1/26/09
I'll try to do something for this year's 7DRL. Any date is fine for
me.

--
jice

Rachel Elizabeth Dillon

Jan 26, 2009, 12:53:53 PM1/26/09
On 2009-01-21, Jeff Lait <torespon...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thus, the available weeks are:
>
> 1) February 21st to March 1st
> 2) February 28th to March 8th
> 3) March 7th to March 15th
>
> Please post a reply to this message listing *all* weeks that you would
> be able & willing to participate.

Hi!

I think I'm going to try this this year. I would give it a go any week,
though I most prefer the latest week, as it gives me the most warning
to take time off from work, set up a repository, and work on getting
over my code phobia. :)

Thanks,

-r.

Michal Bielinski

Jan 26, 2009, 7:17:27 PM1/26/09
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:14:57 +0100, Jeff Lait wrote:
> It is now time for the fifth annual Seven Day Roguelilke Challenge!
>
> Now, we must choose a week.
> Thus, the available weeks are:
>
> 1) February 21st to March 1st
> 2) February 28th to March 8th