7dRL success - Underbooks

Christopher Brandt

Mar 14, 2009, 12:09:34 PM3/14/09
Here you go, I'm going to write more but I'm one minute close to the
deadline :D

home.arcor.de/avielsstand/Underbooks.rar

Have fun!

Christopher Brandt

Cymon

Mar 14, 2009, 12:24:20 PM3/14/09

"This application failed to start because the application
configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this
problem."

Christopher Brandt

Mar 14, 2009, 12:36:11 PM3/14/09
Okay, I managed to upload the success post before my deadline stopped,
so now I'm going to write a bit about the game.

The first thing I forgot to mention is that the current release is for
Windows, but since it's made using the wonderfully portable libtcod
the Linux release is just a few steps away (I'm having problems
compiling libtcod on Linux since I have a 64-Bit Ubuntu...).

Now here are some fresh screenshots:

http://home.arcor.de/avielsstand/underbooks2009_03_14_17_21_54.jpg
http://home.arcor.de/avielsstand/underbooks2009_03_14_17_22_15.jpg
http://home.arcor.de/avielsstand/underbooks2009_03_14_17_27_03.jpg
http://home.arcor.de/avielsstand/underbooks2009_03_14_17_27_32.jpg
http://home.arcor.de/avielsstand/underbooks2009_03_14_17_32_39.jpg

It's a real-time roguelike with lots of graphical candy (but still
ASCII). It's about diving into a libraries basement, finding books
there and selling them to make a fortune and buy the library.

It features:
- (probably foremost) random book titles
- light effects
- optional mouse control
- two ~ three shops (depends on how you define shop) with about 10
different items
- a (yet) unmentioned (in the manual) info mode (press space to pause
and get mouse-over infos about items and creatures)
- a few kinds of enemies
- wicked cool leveling feeling
- cool dungeons with 5 kinds of different rooms

After telling you the goods here are the bads:
- It's pretty unbalanced, and yes, I haven't beaten it yet :D
- I didn't manage to include skills although the skill system is up
and running
- without skills there's no need for magic SO DON'T LEVEL YOUR MAGIC
STATS (I forgot to mention this in the manual D'OH)
- there's no boss :(

That being said, I'm probably going to fix these over the next couple
of days, but this release remains as it is as a 7dRL.

Now what are you waiting for?

home.arcor.de/avielsstand/Underbooks.rar

One last tip: you will probably have to use your scroll of fireflies
right in the first room of the basement.

Christopher

Christopher Brandt

Mar 14, 2009, 12:40:32 PM3/14/09

Ugh, thanks, thought so ... there seems to be missing one of the
libraries or something. I'm going to look into it.

fidr

Mar 14, 2009, 12:45:24 PM3/14/09
On 14 Mar, 17:09, Christopher Brandt <Rotat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here you go, I'm going to write more but I'm one minute close to the
> deadline :D
>
> home.arcor.de/avielsstand/Underbooks.rar
>
> Have fun!

it just shows an error message. Maybe some runtime library is missing?
btw: is the by any chance game inspired by Walter Moers?

Filip Dreger

kutey...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2009, 12:49:12 PM3/14/09

Where can I find Linux binaries?

jice

Mar 14, 2009, 1:08:46 PM3/14/09

Works fine here. Since it was compiled with Visual Studio, you might
need some Microsoft redistributable stuff to make it work. Maybe
this :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en

or this :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en

I know, this sucks. This is why I always prefer mingw32 on windows...

--
jice

Christopher Brandt

Mar 14, 2009, 1:20:40 PM3/14/09

Hey, you got the price for revealing hidden inspirations! I loved this
book :D

I changed the package... runs on Gamer_24k's pc now, not on my
roommates, so by chance it just might work now... if you try again you
make a desperate developer happy ;)

Christopher Brandt

Christopher Brandt

Mar 14, 2009, 1:26:56 PM3/14/09
On 14 Mrz., 17:49, kuteyni...@gmail.com wrote:

Like I stated in my second post (as a reply to this post) Linux
binaries are on their way, I'm just having troubles in compiling
libtcod on my 64-Bit Ubuntu :(
(Plus I'm having trouble with the Windows binaries as well, so it
could take some more time)

Christopher Brandt

Christopher Brandt

Mar 14, 2009, 1:34:49 PM3/14/09

IMPORTANT:
Okay after heavily spamming this board I found jice's solution:
For now everyone who doesn't have Visual C++ 2008 imstalled needs the
Visual C++ 2008 redistributables:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en

It's a very small download and very quick installation but I know it's
asking to much for everyone to do this... I'm now going to compile
using mingw32 or something that doesn't suck :D
For anyone who cares to try though, everything should work now, so if
you play be assured of my gratitude :D

Christopher Brandt

Cymon

Mar 14, 2009, 2:51:39 PM3/14/09
On Mar 14, 11:34 am, Christopher Brandt <Rotat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 Mrz., 17:09, Christopher Brandt <Rotat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Here you go, I'm going to write more but I'm one minute close to the
> > deadline :D
>
> > home.arcor.de/avielsstand/Underbooks.rar
>
> > Have fun!
>
> > Christopher Brandt
>
> IMPORTANT:
> Okay after heavily spamming this board I found jice's solution:
> For now everyone who doesn't have Visual C++ 2008 imstalled needs the
> Visual C++ 2008 redistributables:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9B2DA534-3E0...

> It's a very small download and very quick installation but I know it's
> asking to much for everyone to do this... I'm now going to compile
> using mingw32 or something that doesn't suck :D
> For anyone who cares to try though, everything should work now, so if
> you play be assured of my gratitude :D
>
> Christopher Brandt

I'll wait for the MinGW32 compiled binaries.

jice

Mar 14, 2009, 4:41:56 PM3/14/09

There's a version of libtcod 1.4.1 compiled for linux 64 bits on
libtcod's homepage but since you used the 1.4.0 you may have to tweak
your code to use it.
Another solution is to backport the 64 bit patches to your 1.4.0. You
can find them on subversion releases 130 and 131 :
http://code.google.com/p/libtcod/source/detail?r=130
http://code.google.com/p/libtcod/source/detail?r=131

--
jice

pau...@mbnet.fi

Mar 14, 2009, 5:00:50 PM3/14/09
On 14 maalis, 19:08, jice <jice.nos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Works fine here. Since it was compiled with Visual Studio, you might
> need some Microsoft redistributable stuff to make it work.

I managed to tweak compiler settings (for Teemu) in VC which
produced smaller .exe than GCC with -s option and I guess it
doesn't need any extra M$ stuff.

Christopher Brandt

Mar 14, 2009, 5:25:27 PM3/14/09
Soooooo,

hopefully this will be my last post concerning a delayed release here.
The mingw executables are up and this release should now work on most
Windows systems...

http://home.arcor.de/avielsstand/UnderbooksMINGW.rar

A page should be up in a few minutes.

Christopher Brandt

legend....@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2009, 7:23:35 PM3/14/09
On Mar 14, 1:34 pm, Christopher Brandt <Rotat...@gmail.com> wrote:

> IMPORTANT:
> Okay after heavily spamming this board I found jice's solution:
> For now everyone who doesn't have Visual C++ 2008 imstalled needs the
> Visual C++ 2008 redistributables:

Luckily I have Visual C++ 2008 on my machine. Did a quick run of your
game. Very impressive graphics, especially with the way the lighting
works. However so far I can't seem to get off the first screen.

- Legend of Angband
http://legend-angband.blogspot.com/

fidr

Mar 15, 2009, 6:18:47 PM3/15/09
> Hey, you got the price for revealing hidden inspirations! I loved this
> book :D

Seeing the title I thought it might have something to do with Moers,
but I wasn't sure (I always believed Zamonia would make a great RL
setting). The true givaway was "the golden list" :-)

Filip Dreger

Christopher Brandt

Mar 15, 2009, 8:18:12 PM3/15/09
On 15 Mrz., 00:23, legend.angb...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 14, 1:34 pm, Christopher Brandt <Rotat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > IMPORTANT:
> > Okay after heavily spamming this board I found jice's solution:
> > For now everyone who doesn't have Visual C++Pre 2008 imstalled needs the

> > Visual C++ 2008 redistributables:
>
> Luckily I have Visual C++ 2008 on my machine. Did a quick run of your
> game. Very impressive graphics, especially with the way the lighting
> works. However so far I can't seem to get off the first screen.
>
> - Legend of Angband
>  http://legend-angband.blogspot.com/

Just press > on the downstaircases, also represented as a ">" (you're
standing on them at the beginning). However you will most definitely
die on the first floor for the game is hellishly unbalanced due to a
quick change on monster levels I did 5 minutes before release
(thinking it was to hard).

However, there will be a balanced version with skills and some other
stuff very soon. I also set up a quick mini-website with the download
links.

http://home.arcor.de/avielsstand/underbooks.html

Christopher Brandt