7DRL Success: Domination

Numeron

Mar 13, 2009, 11:57:54 PM3/13/09
Well I was right, this years entry does wipe the floor with my last
years, Crown of the Forest.

http://www.users.on.net/~rossn/

Some screenshots there for those without time to play.
All explanation of gameplay comes in the game, but feel free ask here
if there are extra questions. Extensive planning and taking the week
off of work to write this helped me make something with some pretty
decent graphics and effects, and I got everything in there that I
wanted to. The AI can occasionally be quirky but Im quite proud of it.
AI controlled units know how to forage for spellboxes, use all the
spells, and even will help teammates capture or defend areas.

Enjoy,

-Numeron

Adam Gatt

Mar 14, 2009, 1:08:48 AM3/14/09
I'm already having somegood fun with this game. The AI is very nice.
One issue I noticed was being blasted by a fireball without seeing
where it came from. Does the AI have a longer range of sight than you
do?

rdc

Mar 14, 2009, 4:25:35 AM3/14/09
"Numeron" wrote: in message

> Well I was right, this years entry does wipe the floor with my last
> years, Crown of the Forest.
>
> http://www.users.on.net/~rossn/

Looks really good. I'll try it when I get home from work.

--
Rick Clark
Clark Productions: http://rickclark58.googlepages.com/

rdc

Mar 14, 2009, 6:48:53 PM3/14/09
"Numeron" wrote:
> http://www.users.on.net/~rossn/
>
> Some screenshots there for those without time to play.
> All explanation of gameplay comes in the game, but feel free ask here
> if there are extra questions. Extensive planning and taking the week
> off of work to write this helped me make something with some pretty
> decent graphics and effects, and I got everything in there that I
> wanted to. The AI can occasionally be quirky but Im quite proud of it.
> AI controlled units know how to forage for spellboxes, use all the
> spells, and even will help teammates capture or defend areas.
>
> Enjoy,

This is a great game. Quit unique and very enjoyable. Nice work on this.

idontexist

Mar 15, 2009, 2:53:31 PM3/15/09
On Mar 13, 11:57 pm, Numeron <irunsofastineedafinonmyh...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

In my opinion this is one of the more fun entries in this years 7drl.
Good job

Numeron

Mar 15, 2009, 7:04:08 PM3/15/09
Thanks for all the great comments!

Turns out there were a couple of things wrong with the fireball
including, as said above, that the AI will use them without regard to
sight range, but also that the explosion didnt take into account the y
coords of units when dealing damage, so everyone on those 3 columns
was being hit (woops!)

Anyway, there is now a post challenge bug fix release out on the site,
next to the origional 7drl release...

-Numeron

karmati...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2009, 12:53:43 AM3/17/09
On Mar 15, 4:04 pm, Numeron <irunsofastineedafinonmyh...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Great game! Very enjoyable. Any plans to work on it further?

Numeron

Mar 17, 2009, 7:22:52 PM3/17/09

Thanks! I wish I could say yes, because I believe the game is on the
right track as far as its fun factor is concerned. Unfortunately, that
said, I think that If I add too much more (or even anything) that the
learning curve will steepen with each new thing and that the
simplicity and ease with which I think this game can be just picked up
and played will be lost.

However, I may soon start work on a new project which follows the same
area based ctf idea but on a larger scale. areas that are larger,
possibly with small towns or temple complexes. Unit levelling and
items, weapons, and armor. Units you can give orders to. Areas that
arent in order but placed evenly over a large map. The advance on a
new area could actually be a full scale effort rather than the smash
and grab of Domination etc... Ive had a few failed projects in the
past though, thanks to feature bloat and eventaul vaporwareization, so
if it goes ahead I intend to plan it out properly with regard to
realistic goals. We shall see...

-Numeron

John Harris

Mar 18, 2009, 6:44:10 PM3/18/09
Have played a couple of full games and am surprised how addictive it
can be.

- John H.