7DRL Success - The Favored

guesst

Mar 13, 2009, 3:16:52 PM3/13/09
I thought I finished on Wednesday but decided to give it 24 hours
before I announced it complete, and I'm glad I did because on
Thursday, while I didn't have any major changes to make I still had
some little bugs to fix, stats to edit, as well as adding the "Do you
want to play again?" option, which I think is a good idea for any
game.

So now I think I'm prepared to call it done.

Until it's hosted on the main site you can go to
http://cymonsgames.retroremakes.com/forum/index.php/topic,10.msg130.html#msg130
for the download link and videos of the development.

jellisday

Mar 13, 2009, 5:18:38 PM3/13/09
guesst wrote:
> Until it's hosted on the main site you can go tohttp://cymonsgames.retroremakes.com/forum/index.php/topic,10.msg130.h...

> for the download link and videos of the development.

It's a nice game and a simple concept. You're not dealing with odds
right, though. 3:1 against means the same as 1/4 -- in general, when
the odds against are m:n the probability is n/(m+n). The point is
that for every m failures you'd expect n successes. A failure on the
first rabbit is 1:24, not 1:25 (or 4:100, which the game gives).
While you're on the first level, the odds against that failure are
just x:(25-x), where x is the number of rabbits you've tried to seize.

The odds against dying on the second level given that you made it at
all are y:(19-y). But when you've died after x rabbits on level 1 and
y on level 2, what were the odds against that particular failure? In
terms of probability it would be x/25 + ((25-x)/25)*(y/19). In terms
of odds, let r=19*x + (25-x)*y, then it's r:(25*19 - r) against. Now
you can plug in r and (25*19 - r) instead of x and 25, and repeat this
for every level. It'll be even better if you divide both by the GCD
each time.

Or maybe you'll find it simpler to report your results in terms of
probability: just say "4 in 100" instead of "4:100 against".

- Joshua

guesst

Mar 13, 2009, 9:02:06 PM3/13/09

Hmm, I seem to have gotten "odds" and probability confused. The math
isn't wrong, just the vocabulary. I'll correct that real quick.

legend....@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2009, 12:25:35 AM3/14/09
On Mar 13, 3:16 pm, guesst <joealar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So now I think I'm prepared to call it done.

That's a cool intro screen. And the gameplay is simple, yet effective.
Nice job.

- Legend of Angband
http://legend-angband.blogspot.com/