Abermud Problem

Mark Madsen

Sep 13, 1989, 5:05:24 PM9/13/89

Anyone out there know who built the archive for abermud at eddie.mit.edu?
It's missing several important header files and possibly more. The files
objects.h and verbs.h are missing. The source at tukki is not completely
current (looks like a slightly older version than the one running at silmu).
We got the older version to run on andrew in a short period of time with
only one minor bug fix, but all those bells, whistles, and bug fixes are
nice to have. Whoever built the archive at MIT deserves to be flamed,
except that they're the only ones with the archive so I can't offend them.

Mark Madsen
mm...@andrew.cmu
mad...@psy.cmu.edu

Darryl Okahata

Sep 14, 1989, 5:14:32 PM9/14/89

No, the only one who needs to be flamed is the person who wrote the
Makefile. The files "objects.h" and "verbs.h" are made by typing
"make objects.h" and "make verbs.h", respectively.

Calm down. You have all the files you need to build Aberystwyth
mud (aka abermud).

As an aside, I've compiled abermud, and it's constantly dumping
core. Perhaps when I've fixed these problems, I'll post patches (if
this is the right place).

-- Darryl Okahata
darrylo%hp...@hpcea.HP.COM

Craig Bruce

Sep 14, 1989, 3:38:57 AM9/14/89

> Mark Madsen
> mm...@andrew.cmu
> mad...@psy.cmu.edu
> ----------

This one caught me out also (once I finally got a version of the code)
- these files are made by the 'generate' program (see the Makefile).

W.r.t. another query regarding Abermud and the vpc() function, I
replaced the yukky while loop with a simple strncpy() and it seems to work
ok (I currently have so many other problems it's sometimes hard to tell) -
you have to remember sometimes that the code is written to be portable ;-) and
started out in 'B', so niceties like strncpy() have probably been avoided.

Craig

Craig Bruce, \ / .hsif eht lla rof sknaht dna gnol oS
Hewlett-Packard, \ / yxalaG eht ot ediuG s'rekcihhctiH -
South Queensferry Telecomms Division. \/

Alejandro Liu

Sep 15, 1989, 9:06:48 AM9/15/89
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 89 10:47:26 EST
From: @VM.usc.edu:AE...@ABERYSTWYTH.AC.UK
To: ac...@SKAT.usc.edu
Subject: AberMUD

Cc: janet%earn-relay::"acliu%skat.usc.edu"
janet%earn-relay::"mm79+%andrew.cmu.usc.edu"

Hello from Aberystwyth...

I thought after seeing your postings in rec.games.programmer you might be
interested to hear the current state of games and MUDs in the UK. I have
got massive network access but one of the things UCW Aber frowns upon is
posting to usenet (which is why Alan Cox never posted AberMUD to Usenet
before...)

Firstly my disclaimer:- you wont find my name in the AberMUD credits,
they're not there. I didn't have anything to do with writing it except
get killed a lot in version 0, which was actually a hacked-about version
of a file based CHAT program called HoneyBoard, running under GCOS-3
on a Honeywell L66 here, and was written in 'B'. Incidentally we
junked that machine yesterday in favour of UNIX, and things are improving
slowly.

To my uncertain knowledge there are about 3 Versions of AberMUD running in
the UK, the most major one of which is ay uk.ac.cs.ed.tardis on JANET. It is by
far the most up to date one in the UK, is on a System V GEC machine,
and uses Shared Memory to do it's IPC. There may be info to be obtained
by mailing 'mudman' at that address, but then again, there may not.
I'll chase things up if you are interested.

Also a guy by the name of Vijay, known as Piper, is at Berkeley.
He is generally considered by some to be looking after the USA end of
things. He's vi...@mica.berkeley.edu, if you can get a reply out of him.
He was the one that got the original version when it hit MIT. Apparently
he has had the code cleaned up, but to what extent I don't know.

Finally the best news. Alan Cox is back on the network next year.
I know he's been working away on AberMUD in his spare time (on an Amiga)
so newer versions may be released. He's also been working for a software
company producing adventures (Horrorsoft).I should be able to pass on queries
if there are any, you can mail them to me (a...@uk.ac.aberystwyth) if you can
mail to janet or by bouncing off bitnet somewhere (EARN-GATEWAY ?).
Possibly several other ways if you get inventive.

Alec Muffett (JANET: a...@uk.ac.aber)

P.S. If you feel this is interesting, feel free to pass it on,
and could you let me know about any servers which have it on,
since I'd like to have a look. Thanx, Alec.

OBJECT stddisclaimer is an atom
$
"my views are my own, and not anyone else's. don't let anyone say otherwise.."

|(Why is that this university's name is so hard to spell?)

Alejandro Liu
acliu%sk...@usc.edu ac...@skat.usc.edu
(Simple .signature, $CHEAP$)

Alejandro Liu

Sep 15, 1989, 9:03:52 AM9/15/89
In article <221...@hpnmdla.HP.COM> dar...@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) writes:
>In rec.games.programmer, mm...@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Madsen) writes:
>
> No, the only one who needs to be flamed is the person who wrote the
>Makefile. The files "objects.h" and "verbs.h" are made by typing
>"make objects.h" and "make verbs.h", respectively.

Well, I got that version of AberMUD and it compiled just fine.
Perhaps you have an older version of Make or you didn't set the
DATADIR path correctly

> As an aside, I've compiled abermud, and it's constantly dumping
>core. Perhaps when I've fixed these problems, I'll post patches (if
>this is the right place).

I have already fixed those problems with that version of AberMUD and
send the patches to the maintainer of that version of AberMUD. If you
want my patches I could mail them to you or if there is enough
interest, I could post.

PS: To those who asked me to Mail the source of AberMUD, well it is
just to big for MAIL, (as for posting)

Also, that version of AberMUD is not supported by the ORIGINAL
authors. The original authours of the program are over in England and
they have a newer version. I think who is supposedly taking care of
AberMUD over the U.S. is "vi...@mica.berkeley.edu".

Disclaimer: I am in no way related to the authors or AberMUD or to any
other organization. I just happen to be yet another (satisfied?) user
of some version of AberMUD.

Brian Preble

Sep 15, 1989, 11:04:28 PM9/15/89
In article <IZ3g4Ii00...@andrew.cmu.edu> mm...@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Madsen) writes:

>Anyone out there know who built the archive for abermud at eddie.mit.edu?
>It's missing several important header files and possibly more. The files
>objects.h and verbs.h are missing.
>Whoever built the archive at MIT deserves to be flamed, except that they're
>the only ones with the archive so I can't offend them.

I built the archive on eddie. It's not missing anything. The files verbs.h
and objects.h need to be created by the Makefile. I have done much work on
AberMUD since the version on eddie. Among other things, I've added a real help
system, an info page, better combat routines, a new parser, more commands,
and 17 objects, 50+ rooms, and 9 mobiles (monsters). I'd much rather be
praised for those "bells, whistles, and bug fixes" then flamed. :-)

I'll be putting the latest version (4.6) on eddie next Wednesday. This
version will include a better Makefile which will create the header files
as needed. In the meantime, type 'make verbs.h' and 'make objects.h'
before trying to install AberMUD II. Sorry about that.

Shar and Enjoy!

Rassilon (Brian Preble)
UUCP: ...!mit-eddie!rassilon
Internet: rass...@eddie.mit.edu
Moderator: dave-...@eddie.mit.edu

Joseph Judge

Sep 18, 1989, 12:54:31 PM9/18/89
In article <IZ3g4Ii00...@andrew.cmu.edu> mm...@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Madsen) writes:

>Anyone out there know who built the archive for abermud at eddie.mit.edu?
>It's missing several important header files and possibly more. The files
>objects.h and verbs.h are missing.
>
>Mark Madsen
>mm...@andrew.cmu
>mad...@psy.cmu.edu

The files verbs.h and objects.h are generated from the data files.
The Makefile sucks, thats all. grep for them in the Makefile and do it.
Something like ./generate DATA/verbs verbs.h

Joseph Judge