Tech: Right Flipper stuck in up posistion

mummite

Feb 19, 2010, 4:17:02 AM2/19/10
Hey all,

Tonight I rebuilt my flippers on my TSPP. everything went smooth and I
thought it was all ok, but when I went to test everything out the
Right Flipper now gets stuck in the UP position. Once stuck if I use
the left flipper it instantly falls back down like normal.

Any ideas what this could be? I really did not change that much a new
plunger and a coil stop and that is it. I am an new to pinball so any
ideas will help-

Mat

reflux

Feb 19, 2010, 4:45:40 AM2/19/10
Sounds like a mechanical issue.
the plunger is binding after being pulled in.
with the power off I bet you can replicate it.
Rebuild the flipper, making sure the plunger is not mushroomed, as
well as the coil stop.
You said you rebuilt it but with new parts?
You may well get away with filing them, but in home use replace them
and they will out live you and play a lot better.
If the other flipper is good use that for guidance, they need a bit of
play esp up/down.
Hope this helps.

reflux

Feb 19, 2010, 4:53:23 AM2/19/10

ooops and binding on the eos switch,
I'd rebuild it, see if um, you get it right/the problem goes away :)

Mike Schudel

Feb 19, 2010, 8:10:12 AM2/19/10
"mummite" <mum...@gmail.com> wrote in message

When you rebuild flippers there needs to be about 1/16" up/down play of the
flipper bat on the flipperbushing that goes thru the playfield. That's the
biggest problem people make. With the game off, grab the flipper bat and
pull up and down vertically.. Make sure there is some slop. Once you have
that verified, rotate the bat to the full extended position and let go. It
should drop back down when let go. If not, check the assembly for anything
that is binding.

I'm working on a game right now that has this same issue. The guy tried to
rebuild the flippers himself and had never done so. I saw instantly where
he has the flipper sleeve in backwards so the flanged end of the sleeve is
towards the plunger end of the coil. The non flanged end of the sleeve that
sticks out is probaby nicely protecting the coil stop. But the problem is
that the sleeve (being in backwards) does not go through the coil bracket
and the plunger is dragging on the metal bracket that holds the coil.

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

homebrood

Feb 19, 2010, 10:20:55 AM2/19/10
On Feb 19, 3:53 am, reflux <dripdripdripfl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ooops and binding on the eos switch,
> I'd rebuild it, see if um, you get it right/the problem goes away :)

He said he rebuilt it and used a new plunger and coil stop.

Probably as Mike said not enough play and to tight to the playfield
causing binding.

Your idea about the EOS could be something to look at though.

Also he didn't mention a new sleeve but if someone changed the plunger
is would be silly not to throw in a new sleeve as well...

Tom

mummite

Feb 19, 2010, 12:47:42 PM2/19/10

Hey all,

thanks for all the responses.

I have replaced everything, plunger, coil stop and sleeve. that is
the only thing I replaced so it was odd to see this behavior when I
was done.
The first think I checked was if I made the flipper to tight and it
was dragging so I lossened it up a bunch and still the same issue. I
do not think this is a mecahnical issue.

The other makes me think its not mechanical is that once the right
flipper is on the up posistion and sticks. If I hit any of the left/
right sling shots or the left flipper . . . . . the right flipper
instantly falls back down.
Could this be a fuse thing?, bad coil, wiring issue? I have not even
touched the hold EOS switch that was in there it looks fine to me.

Thoughts?

I am going to take it apart again tonight and rebuild it to see what I
can find-

Mat

Lloyd Olson

Feb 19, 2010, 1:14:16 PM2/19/10
I have some thoughts. Next time it sticks up, turn the game off. If it drops
you have an electrical issue, if not mechanical.

If mechanical, go over your work. Be sure the pawl isn't sticking on the end
of the EOS points. Be sure you have a tiny bit of up and down play on the
flipper to prevent the pawl from binding under the playfield. Be sure the
coil stop isn't leaning in or out.

And even if you replaced the plunger assembly, and it is new, does it move
freely ? I've seen crappy new ones that bind where the pawl hooks to the
plastic link. The link is too fat. LTG :)

"mummite" <mum...@gmail.com> wrote in message

mummite

Feb 19, 2010, 1:37:02 PM2/19/10
On Feb 19, 10:14 am, "Lloyd Olson" <l...@ssbilliards.com> wrote:
> I have some thoughts. Next time it sticks up, turn the game off. If it drops
> you have an electrical issue, if not mechanical.
>
> If mechanical, go over your work. Be sure the pawl isn't sticking on the end
> of the EOS points. Be sure you have a tiny bit of up and down play on the
> flipper to prevent the pawl from binding under the playfield. Be sure the
> coil stop isn't leaning in or out.
>
> And even if you replaced the plunger assembly, and it is new, does it move
> freely ? I've seen crappy new ones that bind where the pawl hooks to the
> plastic link. The link is too fat. LTG :)
>
> "mummite" <mumm...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hey all,
>
> thanks for all the responses.
>
> I have replaced everything, plunger, coil stop and sleeve.  that is
> the only thing I replaced so it was odd to see this behavior when I
> was done.
> The first think I checked was if I made the flipper to tight and it
> was dragging so I lossened it up a bunch and still the same issue.  I
> do not think this is a mecahnical issue.
>
> The other makes me think its not mechanical is that once the right
> flipper is on the up posistion and sticks.  If I hit any of the left/
> right sling shots or the left flipper . . . . . the right flipper
> instantly falls back down.
> Could this be a fuse thing?, bad coil, wiring issue?  I have not even
> touched the hold EOS switch that was in there it looks fine to me.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> I am going to take it apart again tonight and rebuild it to see what I
> can find-
>
> Mat

When the flipper is in the up posistion and I turn off the machine it
falls down. so. . . . if this is a electical what should I be looking
for what area would cause this? just point me in a direction to
check : ) bad coil, bad fuse. . . . . EOS

Also odd that when it is in the up posistion it falls when either the
Left bumper or right or left sling shot switch is active. so some
connection seems to not being made.

thanks

Mat

Lloyd Olson

Feb 19, 2010, 1:47:38 PM2/19/10
I'd be suspecting the flipper button points. Not opening up, or something
shorting across the fiberboard spacers between them. If there is a capacitor
on them, that could be shorted too. LTG :)

"mummite" <mum...@gmail.com> wrote in message

mummite

Feb 19, 2010, 5:18:57 PM2/19/10
On Feb 19, 10:47 am, "Lloyd Olson" <l...@ssbilliards.com> wrote:
> I'd be suspecting the flipper button points. Not opening up, or something
> shorting across the fiberboard spacers between them. If there is a capacitor
> on them, that could be shorted too. LTG :)
>
> "mummite" <mumm...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> When the flipper is in the up posistion and I turn off the machine it
> falls down.  so. . . . if this is a electical what should I be looking
> for what area would cause this? just point me in a direction to
> check : ) bad coil, bad fuse. . . . . EOS
>
> Also odd that when it is in the up posistion it falls when either the
> Left bumper or right or left sling shot switch is active. so some
> connection seems to not being made.
>
> thanks
>
> Mat

ok fixed! so simple.............. as always : )

When I replaced the flippers I replaced the coil spring. The one that
came with my flipper rebuild kit was a little loose and not as tight
as the one that was originally in the machine. but the original
spring was a little twisted so I decided to replace it.

Basiclly it was not tight enough of a recoil to pull it back. I
switched back to the old spring and it works fine now. So. . . .
where is the best place to buy new tight flipper replacement springs?

thank you for help all

Mat

Borygard

Feb 19, 2010, 6:55:04 PM2/19/10
Take a few windings out of the loose spring and re-install.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics