Pawn Stars Bally Odds and Evens pinball - backstory.

c...@provide.net

Feb 10, 2010, 7:06:39 AM2/10/10
I'm sure many of you have seen or at least heard
about the Bally Odds & Evens pinball that was
on the History Channel's Pawn Stars show recently.
(Could not find a YouTube video of this unfortunately.)

In case you haven't, basically it's a reality show
about a pawn shop in Las Vegas. A guy dragged
a 1973 Bally Odds & Evens to the pawn shop
(disassembled), and the pawn guys bought it
for $1000. Then they paid a guy $3000 to "restore" it.
At least that's how it was shown on the TV program.

Anyway, I was wondering why Tim Arnold (of the
Pinball Hall of Fame aka PHoF in Las Vegas) didn't
get the call for this.

But in fact, he did get the call. I talked to Tim
and he said: "The pawn shop called me and
asked if I would restore a game for them. I told
them I just didn't have time, and that was the
end of the conversation. I have NO idea this was
for the Pawn Stars show. I obviously would
have taken the free publicity for the PHoF, and
done the game restoration if I had known."

So who did get the call? Turns out the guy's
name is Micheal Scott. He's from California,
and within the last few years moved to Las
Vegas. Tim says he constantly runs ads in
the Las Vegas Craigslist for EM games and
doing repairs. And often you see him running
ads for plastics sets and parts on Mr.Pinball
classified.

Tim knows Scott, but is apparently not real
keen on him. Tim says, "He's a local pinball guy
with lots of knowledge, but unfortunately he doesn't
contribute to the PHoF project. I can't afford
to pay him, and he generally won't do free work
for the PHoF." Not that this changes anything in
this story, but it's good info to have as it puts
everything into context.

I asked Tim about the show, and he had some
details. "Everything was scripted ahead, including
the pricing." I asked Arnold if Scott really got $3000
for basically a $200 'shop job' on the pinball game.
Tim says, "Again this was all scripted. Scott
knows what that game is really worth, and how
much his shop job would really cost. But the
TV producers feel things that are expensive
add more value to the story line. So the pricing
was dramatically inflated to reflect this."

So there ya have it. It's not reality, it's TV.
And higher priced items make for a better
story line. Sure we all know what the game
is worth, and how much the work done on
the machine should cost. But prices are
manipulated to give a more interesting show
for the general public. Reality shows are not
reality. And this is yet another in that
manipulation of reality.

My personal feeling on the show is if someone
called me, and asked me to inflate values
of an item and restoration cost of an item...
Well i would tell them to take a hike. (Present the
item correctly, or find someone else.) But the
intoxication of doing a national TV show and
the pressure from show producers, apparently
it was too much to refuse.

Steve Smith, Richmond VA

Feb 10, 2010, 7:36:34 AM2/10/10
"Imitation is the sincerest form of television.”
... Fred Allen

devils

Feb 10, 2010, 7:50:16 AM2/10/10

So, are any of the prices discussed on this show accurate? This is
really disguising. I really enjoy this show, but now I may stop
watching it.

Richiep

Feb 10, 2010, 7:59:34 AM2/10/10
> watching it.- Hide quoted text -

"Devils" makes a good point. I really enjoy the show as well, but
this sort of taints everything you see on the show.
Just like the time they had a guy 'restore' a vintage Coke Machine.
It was obvious to anyone who knows anything about vintage Coke
machines that the machine they presented at the end as the 'restored'
machine was a totally different model/machine than the junker they
brought in to be restored.

MrBally

Feb 10, 2010, 8:06:46 AM2/10/10
On Feb 10, 7:06 am, "c...@provide.net" <c...@provide.net> wrote:

Hey Clay,

Whenever Tim is referenced in anything, the correct word to be used
is: teevee. It just looks better!

BlueMalibu

Feb 10, 2010, 8:11:50 AM2/10/10
On Feb 10, 7:06 am, "c...@provide.net" <c...@provide.net> wrote:

Yep, I'm not surprised. Just to add to this.

A local well known collector of old arcade games here in the Detroit
area was also contacted by the show. They have an item in their place
of business that they wanted to be pawned on the show. The entire
event was already planned.

- He would ship the item to Vegas.
- The show would then find someone to take it into the pawn shop.
- Then they would fly the Detroit person out to be the "expert" on the
item.

The item is real interesting and they were going to put a large value
on it - all preplanned.

The item would be shipped back at the end - the ownership would never
change.

This could still occur so I can't name names but I have talked to this
person about this directly.

The show (as well as pickers, etc.) is for entertainment purposes
only.

Parker

Magic Mike

Feb 10, 2010, 8:19:17 AM2/10/10
False information like this to the public will make pins harder to acquire
when someone who has a $500 pin, thinks that they have a $5000 pin.

It may also deter people away from the hobby who want a pinball machine but,
may feel that pinball is a hobby that they cannot afford.

Mike

Taylor-VA

Feb 10, 2010, 8:24:45 AM2/10/10

REALITY SHOWS ARE
SCRIPTED?????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

; )

Magic Mike

Feb 10, 2010, 8:32:02 AM2/10/10
It's a clever way of them getting rare stuff into their own personal
collection while inflating the value of junk that they no longer want in
their store:

1. Have a confederate bring in the item.
2. Get it appraised by one of their 'experts.'
3. Haggle on the price and 'buy' the item.
4. Increase the value of the item based on their 'expert's' opinion.
5. Sell the item to a person who collects those items that saw it on their
show.

SCAM!

Mike

MrBally

Feb 10, 2010, 8:37:31 AM2/10/10
On Feb 10, 8:24 am, Taylor-VA <taylorv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> REALITY SHOWS ARE
> SCRIPTED?????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!­!!!!!!
>
> ; )

You know, before Al Gore invented the internet, I used to say; "I saw
it on teevee so it must be true".

BUY...@aol.com

Feb 10, 2010, 8:39:08 AM2/10/10
> brought in to be restored.- Hide quoted text -

yes the coke machine was a total joke, a blind person would know it
wasn,t the same , The show is a show fake prices and actors

Ace 24

Feb 10, 2010, 8:50:46 AM2/10/10
What a fraud and lie to the viewers. I never saw the show before this
episode. But why watch it again? Was the gold coin value true? Or
anything else on the show? It's like antique roadshow with made up
values. (I assume antique roadshow is legit, but who knows.) Thanks
Clay.

Pinhead!

Feb 10, 2010, 8:51:56 AM2/10/10
The only true reality tv is COPS.

That repo show on Tru tv has to be the worst, the acting is awful.

Norman

falconfixer

Feb 10, 2010, 10:13:06 AM2/10/10
On Feb 10, 7:06 am, "c...@provide.net" <c...@provide.net> wrote:

It's interesting that Bear Grylls (of Man vs Wild) was supposedly
surviving in the boonies but was actually staying in hotels overnight.
When the truth was found out there was national outrage and now they
have all these disclaimers. When the survival of a show (and all the
big bucks that go with it) is dependent on ratings (and hence
advertising dollars) it's hard to keep anyone honest. And let's face
it. How much of the media, in any form, is honest and unbiased? But
unfortunately way too many people just believe whatever they see on
TV. I didn't mention reading because there isn't much of that going on
any more.

I mean really, who wants to watch a show where an unemployed
construction worker brings in all his used tools to make enough money
to pay the rent? Or where a divorced woman brings in her enagement
ring to make a few bucks on it and get rid of the bad reminder?

I just wish the truth in advertising laws applied to some of these
things.

Dave

ldnayman

Feb 10, 2010, 10:15:42 AM2/10/10
On Feb 10, 7:50�am, devils <devils4e...@comcast.net> wrote:

> So, are any of the prices discussed on this show accurate? This is
> really disguising. I really enjoy this show, but now I may stop
> watching it.- Hide quoted text -

Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?!

I'm shocked anybody is surprised about this. I figured this was
exactly how it is - the Pawn place, the pinball guy, they are all
playing with "house" (tv company) money. On a show that costs
virtually nothing to make they can afford to throw a few bucks around
to increase the "drama."

I watch a lot of garbage, but not this garbage.

Captain Neo

Feb 10, 2010, 10:43:59 AM2/10/10
i just saw this episode recently and was going to start a thread about
it. But here it is. That was a really nice condition machine from
the start, but the prices they were talking about, were redonkulous on
so many levels. Shit like this, will just hurt our hobby, because
every old guy with one in his basement, thinks he's not sitting on a
gold mine, when they are sitting on a garbage heap in most cases.

Sean Kavanagh

Feb 10, 2010, 10:59:47 AM2/10/10
On Feb 10, 7:06 am, "c...@provide.net" <c...@provide.net> wrote:

LOL...once again...why anybody wastes their precious time watching
ANYTHING on TV is beyond me. Don;t you people have pins to
restore!! ;o) I currently only watch sports, but considering deep-
sixing that too...all the world's a stage indeed!!

The best example is when people quote either medical or cop shows when
assessing a true-life situation...I LOVE that one. "Well...the cops
will be able to figure that out...I saw a case just like this on
CSI!!" <rolling eyes>

Sean

Eddie

Feb 10, 2010, 11:27:03 AM2/10/10

I agree TV is a waste. I rarely watch but if I do, Its the History or
the Sci or learning channel and even with those you must take them
with a grain of salt and do followup research on your own for accuracy
of what is presented.

Mark Clayton

Feb 10, 2010, 11:45:33 AM2/10/10
Antiques Roadshow has been dirty for at least 10 years now.

http://collectibles.about.com/od/valuableresources/a/antiqroadfake2.htm

-Mark
-----
http://pinballpal.com

pinballeric

Feb 10, 2010, 11:53:36 AM2/10/10
On Feb 10, 11:45 am, Mark Clayton <spamuser1...@i87.com> wrote:
> Antiques Roadshow has been dirty for at least 10 years now.
>
> http://collectibles.about.com/od/valuableresources/a/antiqroadfake2.htm
>
> -Mark
> -----http://pinballpal.com

> Ace 24 wrote:
> > What a fraud and lie to the viewers. I never saw the show before this
> > episode. But why watch it again? Was the gold coin value true? Or
> > anything else on the show? It's like antique roadshow with made up
> > values. (I assume antique roadshow is legit, but who knows.) Thanks
> > Clay.- Hide quoted text -

Sideshow Bob once proclaimed that:

"Television has ruined more young minds than pinball and syphilis
combined."

ttp://pinballeric.com/

CleanAsAWhistle

Feb 10, 2010, 12:47:54 PM2/10/10
In article <OoBcn.202520$o06.1...@en-nntp-08.dc1.easynews.com>, Mark Clayton
says...

>Antiques Roadshow has been dirty for at least 10 years now.
>
>http://collectibles.about.com/od/valuableresources/a/antiqroadfake2.htm
>
>-Mark

Mark, that was TEN YEARS ago, and it was ONE dirty appraiser.

He was fired, and also got into a lot of legal trouble as a dealer for stealing
from others.

The show found the problem and fixed it - ten YEARS ago. It is clean.

pincorrect

Feb 10, 2010, 1:01:00 PM2/10/10

I agree. There should be a disclaimer on the show displayed, "Actual
values of products depicted in this show do not necessarily reflect
market value and were pulled out of the producers' asses to make
otherwise useless junk appear to be of great value."

I imagine after this show, everyone and their dog are bringing the
stupidest crap ever into their local pawn shop thinking they're going
to get big money for it.

pincorrect

Feb 10, 2010, 1:03:02 PM2/10/10
On Feb 10, 10:27 am, Eddie <streetandtr...@email.com> wrote:
> I agree TV is a waste. I rarely watch but if I do, Its the History or
> the Sci or learning channel

When's the last time you saw any history or science on the history or
science channel? All I see when I flip to the channel is crap about
Big foot, nostradamus and ghost hunters. And they should rename the
history channel to, "The Hitler Channel" with as much stuff they run
on the Nazis.

Amigoid

Feb 10, 2010, 1:06:06 PM2/10/10

I'll try to take the "Glass is half-full" path. It may spur folks
that have a pin collecting dust in storage somewhere to dig it out to
restore it and put it up for sale.
They may try to contact a local pinrepair place to restore it. (More
business for the repair guys == win)
The person is congratulating themselves on finding someone local that
could do a great shop job for $500 instead of the thousands quoted in
the show.
The gold-miner then places the item for sale at a ridiculous price.
No takers. (ebay gets $ for auction postings, more pinballs are
showing up in the market == win)
They ask around, and find out what the more realistic prices are.
(more educated owners == win)
Meanwhile, they have a restored pin and they are getting some play
time on it. (More interest in pinball, more players == win)
They either keep the restored pin or they make a sale at the market
rate. Or they give up after 3-4 months and give it to their relative
who always wanted a pin. (win!)
I don't worry about the hype and the unrealistic prices. I instead
look to the positive, that more people are seeing pinball machines on
TV.
At least they aren't blowing up the pin on Mythbusters... It'd be
cool if we could come up with some myth involving pinball machines for
them to bust.
Or a Dirty Jobs episode where Mike helps clean up a really trashed out
pin, and clearcoat the playfield.

Kyle Wren

Feb 10, 2010, 1:43:04 PM2/10/10
In article <e4d0c434-8c35-49eb...@f8g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
c...@provide.net says...

>My personal feeling on the show is if someone
>called me, and asked me to inflate values
>of an item and restoration cost of an item...
>Well i would tell them to take a hike. (Present the
>item correctly, or find someone else.) But the
>intoxication of doing a national TV show and
>the pressure from show producers, apparently
>it was too much to refuse.

Don't get me started on that last point. I found out the hard way that if it
seems too good to be true it probably is. I got a call last year that The Jerry
Springer Show was doing a show on home gamerooms and wanted to feature some
shots of me in mine. Things started off fine at first, but then eventually I was
being pressured by the producers to do more "artsy" type of poses. The next
thing I know I'm in my work room with hot wax removing my own back hair, and 3
months later naked pictures of me on top of a pinball machine started to
circulate on the internet.

As it turned out those guys weren't with the Springer show after all. They had a
big truck with lots of metal folding chairs and such, so they certainly seemed
legitimate. I probably need to pay more attention to what I'm signing in the
future...

--
Kyle Wren - CARGPB #27

MrBally

Feb 10, 2010, 1:50:24 PM2/10/10

Sugest they bust the myth that there are magnets on the out lanes and
drain holes on all old pins. Then they can show the curve ball magnet
on Williams pitch & Bats and then the helper Magna-Save on newer
Williams pins.

It could actually boost interest in pins.

I know, it'll never happen.

Mark Clayton

Feb 10, 2010, 4:16:46 PM2/10/10
Why thank you for your assurance, first-time anonymous poster.

These shows are primarily entertainment. I've got six
Antiques Roadshows sitting on the DVR right now, and they
are loaded with information. There are experts like the Keno
brothers, who have a great rep, but on the other hand the
"for insurance purposes" prices that they often quote are
no different than what you see at Pawn Stars...

-Mark
-----
http://pinballpal.com

Mark Clayton

Feb 10, 2010, 4:18:02 PM2/10/10
I hate when that happens.

-Mark
-----
http://pinballpal.com

Mike

Feb 10, 2010, 8:16:02 PM2/10/10
I guess the beef is, it would be like watching a reality cooking show
and discovering the ingredients they show you to use to make something
have absolutely no relevance to how it's really made. In that sense, I
for one will never again watch PAWN STARS, not AMERICAN PICKERS, since
the very essence of the show is the PRICE of an item and the price
differentials from who they bought it from and to whom they sold it.
So, like the cooking show that lies about ingredients, these shows,
and the HISTORY CHANNEL in general are no longer on my list. That's OK
though, I can watch the Corporate Games in Vancouver, brought to you
by McDonalds. Go Canada!!!

jeff

Feb 11, 2010, 2:01:31 AM2/11/10
Has anybody actually bothered to send these threads or complain
directly to the History Channel, and call them out on their BS? If
they sense enough people are calling BS perhaps they might use a
little more discretion, or reel in the producers of Pawn Stars maybe
just a little? Just a thought, but it doesn't do any good to preach
to the choir HERE, THEY are the ones that need to see what's being
said, and know that they're not fooling anybody.

Jeff Scott

EMLover1970

Feb 11, 2010, 2:30:02 AM2/11/10

Funny enough I just did that. Wonder if I will get a response. A
$3000 restoration? Even pinrescue might blush at that.

c...@provide.net

Feb 11, 2010, 6:43:01 AM2/11/10

Interesting that you mention PinRescue PA. I was kind of
wondering about those guys. In this economy, that whole
"pimp'ed expensive EM" model probably doesn't float as
well as it did in 2007. But then again, the rich will always
be rich, so maybe it doesn't matter? I wonder if PinRescue
has seen a decrease in expensive EM sales in the last year?

Kirk from Iowa

Feb 11, 2010, 7:27:07 AM2/11/10

Didn't the Coke machine restore guy try to mask that it was a
different
machine by saying he cut out the front door and installed the smaller
door you opened to get to the bottles? I'll be in Vegas in June and
will
look for the Odds and Evens game at the Pawn Shop.

Kirk

Jim D. in TN

Feb 11, 2010, 2:00:02 PM2/11/10
On Feb 10, 10:59 am, Sean Kavanagh <seanspinballb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The best example is when people quote either medical or cop shows when
> assessing a true-life situation

The defense lawyer just did that this week in the trial of the
murderer of a friend of mine in Ravenna, OH. The defense lawyer
attacked the prosecution witness' motivation for testifying as she had
pleaded guilty earlier saying something about how on TV convicted
parties always get a deal to testify against co-defendants. The
prosecutor immediately objected and the judge sustained the objection.

Adm56

Feb 11, 2010, 3:11:45 PM2/11/10
On Feb 10, 12:50 pm, MrBally <americannleag...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Sugest they bust the myth that there are magnets on the out lanes and
> drain holes on all old pins. Then they can show the curve ball magnet
> on Williams pitch & Bats and then the helper Magna-Save on newer
> Williams pins.

You know I still have friends that claim the outlane magnets exist
despite me popping the hood for them. I guess they are supposed to be
embedded in the actual playfield or something?

CEG

Feb 11, 2010, 4:18:04 PM2/11/10

lol you probably removed the magnets before showing them. ;)

I too use to believe this but not anymore..

beaver

Feb 11, 2010, 6:42:12 PM2/11/10
Wow, thanks for digging into this. I watch that show now and then,
and it certainly seems odd that they would sometimes have an expert
appraise the item in front of the seller.

You posted some really interesting stuff there.

Edward Cheung CARGPB26

Rick Swanson

Feb 11, 2010, 7:20:42 PM2/11/10
On Feb 10, 1:43 pm, Kyle Wren <kylewrenT...@cinci.rrOUT.com> wrote:
> The next
> thing I know I'm in my work room with hot wax removing my own back hair, and 3
> months later naked pictures of me on top of a pinball machine started to
> circulate on the internet.

Damn, Kyle. That's some funny stuff. The mental image of you hot
waxing your own back made me puke in my mouth a little bit, but it's
still funny stuff. ;-)

Rick Swanson
cargpb6

Cliffy

Feb 12, 2010, 1:11:51 PM2/12/10
c...@provide.net wrote:

> So who did get the call? Turns out the guy's
> name is Micheal Scott. He's from California,
> and within the last few years moved to Las
> Vegas. Tim says he constantly runs ads in
> the Las Vegas Craigslist for EM games and
> doing repairs. And often you see him running
> ads for plastics sets and parts on Mr.Pinball
> classified.

I recognized Michael when it aired and posted that it was him but
canceled the post thinking it may not be fair to post his info. He's ex
SF bay area and has built quite a reputation here. Good or bad isn't for
me to judge :) But you saw his prices yourself so there you go. And,
hey, if someone is willing to pay them who are we to knock it? Let the
market decide :)

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
Home of the world's finest pinball protectors

Kirk from Iowa

Feb 12, 2010, 7:12:34 PM2/12/10
On Feb 10, 7:11 am, BlueMalibu <mich...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

> A local well known collector of old arcade games here in the Detroit
> area was also contacted by the show.  They have an item in their place
> of business that they wanted to be pawned on the show.  The entire
> event was already planned.
>
> - He would ship the item to Vegas.
> - The show would then find someone to take it into the pawn shop.
> - Then they would fly the Detroit person out to be the "expert" on the
> item.
>
> The item is real interesting and they were going to put a large value
> on it - all preplanned.
>
> The item would be shipped back at the end - the ownership would never
> change.
>
> This could still occur so I can't name names but I have talked to this
> person about this directly.
>
> The show (as well as pickers, etc.) is for entertainment purposes

Is it Marvin?

c...@provide.net

Feb 12, 2010, 7:23:59 PM2/12/10
On Feb 12, 1:11 pm, Cliffy <crin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> c...@provide.net wrote:
>
> > So who did get the call?  Turns out the guy's
> > name is Micheal Scott. He's from California,
> > and within the last few years moved to Las
> > Vegas. Tim says he constantly runs ads in
> > the Las Vegas Craigslist for EM games and
> > doing repairs. And often you see him running
> > ads for plastics sets and parts on Mr.Pinball
> > classified.
>
> I recognized Michael when it aired and posted that it was him but
> canceled the post thinking it may not be fair to post his info. He's ex
> SF bay area and has built quite a reputation here. Good or bad isn't for
> me to judge :) But you saw his prices yourself so there you go. And,
> hey, if someone is willing to pay them who are we to knock it? Let the
> market decide :)

by Cliffy that's the point. Scott didn't decide, nor
did the pawn guys decide on the prices. The
TV producers for the show artificially inflated
the prices "for better TV drama." It was all set up
a head of time and scripted. I was just
disappointed that all parties involved let that
happen. i was hoping for a more honest show.
but i guess TeeVee doesn't work that way.

Cliffy

Feb 12, 2010, 8:01:45 PM2/12/10

Yeah, I hear ya. If I were Michael I would have rejected their pressures
regardless of the possible exposure and free advertising. Hell, they
never mentioned his name anyway except once when he was called only by
his first name. He's gonna be jammed up with questions about it all when
he shows up at the pinball shows now :)

breen.s...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2013, 12:01:09 PM8/8/13
That's a bummer. We have one that is in mint condition that I was researching in order to list on cc list. I saw that episode and I myself didn't think it was worth $3000. I guess I will test the waters.

Ron Lyons

Aug 8, 2013, 12:11:34 PM8/8/13
Interesting to see this old post... Tim has done several shows now with the American Restoration guys, each one has it's fair share of flubbery going on. I think ultimately they're entertaining people so what's it matter if it's completely factual, the producers are going to make these guys do what the producers think should be on t.v., and even if they don't, they'll just edit it to make it look that way.

So I've seen Tim illustrate how it's really hard to get a 'new' stepper for a machine... um.... and I've seen Tim illustrate how he's going to replace every wire in a machine... um....

CEG

Aug 8, 2013, 2:52:40 PM8/8/13
On Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:06:39 AM UTC-5, c...@provide.net wrote:
> I'm sure many of you have seen or at least heard
> about the Bally Odds & Evens pinball that was
> on the History Channel's Pawn Stars show recently.
> (Could not find a YouTube video of this unfortunately.)
>
> In case you haven't, basically it's a reality show
> about a pawn shop in Las Vegas. A guy dragged
> a 1973 Bally Odds & Evens to the pawn shop
> (disassembled), and the pawn guys bought it
> for $1000. Then they paid a guy $3000 to "restore" it.
> At least that's how it was shown on the TV program.
>
> Anyway, I was wondering why Tim Arnold (of the
> Pinball Hall of Fame aka PHoF in Las Vegas) didn't
> get the call for this.
>
> But in fact, he did get the call. I talked to Tim
> and he said: "The pawn shop called me and
> asked if I would restore a game for them. I told
> them I just didn't have time, and that was the
> end of the conversation. I have NO idea this was
> for the Pawn Stars show. I obviously would
> have taken the free publicity for the PHoF, and
> done the game restoration if I had known."
>
> So who did get the call? Turns out the guy's
> name is Micheal Scott. He's from California,
> and within the last few years moved to Las
> Vegas. Tim says he constantly runs ads in
> the Las Vegas Craigslist for EM games and
> doing repairs. And often you see him running
> ads for plastics sets and parts on Mr.Pinball
> classified.
>
> Tim knows Scott, but is apparently not real
> keen on him. Tim says, "He's a local pinball guy
> with lots of knowledge, but unfortunately he doesn't
> contribute to the PHoF project. I can't afford
> to pay him, and he generally won't do free work
> for the PHoF." Not that this changes anything in
> this story, but it's good info to have as it puts
> everything into context.
>
> I asked Tim about the show, and he had some
> details. "Everything was scripted ahead, including
> the pricing." I asked Arnold if Scott really got $3000
> for basically a $200 'shop job' on the pinball game.
> Tim says, "Again this was all scripted. Scott
> knows what that game is really worth, and how
> much his shop job would really cost. But the
> TV producers feel things that are expensive
> add more value to the story line. So the pricing
> was dramatically inflated to reflect this."
>
> So there ya have it. It's not reality, it's TV.
> And higher priced items make for a better
> story line. Sure we all know what the game
> is worth, and how much the work done on
> the machine should cost. But prices are
> manipulated to give a more interesting show
> for the general public. Reality shows are not
> reality. And this is yet another in that
> manipulation of reality.
>
> My personal feeling on the show is if someone
> called me, and asked me to inflate values
> of an item and restoration cost of an item...
> Well i would tell them to take a hike. (Present the
> item correctly, or find someone else.) But the
> intoxication of doing a national TV show and
> the pressure from show producers, apparently
> it was too much to refuse.

since when are reality shows not real???????? ;)

This isn't any news to me.

Chas

Shmuel

Aug 8, 2013, 3:55:08 PM8/8/13
First off...most if not all of the items on Pawn Stars are not brought in randomly by people looking for quick cash. It's a TV show based on stories told by pawn shop workers. Many of the people who bring in these goods are actors hired by the show. They also have scouts that go to antique shops, search ebay and craigslist etc to find random articles to appeal to various groups of people. All reality shows (except for some game shows) are filmed using this technique. The reasons are it's too expensive to have the crew film and wait around for something interesting to happen. More so, after the show gains popularity all that will be around are idiots trying to get on TV and meet so called celebrities. It's amazing how people do not understand this. Do you actually think the kids on the Jersey Shore walk into a bar and people just act normal and dont hound them for autographs and scream? Do you actually think that people leave collectibles in storage lockers on a regular basis? Those other people at the auctions are hired extras.

american...@hotmail.com

Aug 8, 2013, 7:02:57 PM8/8/13
Pretty soon someone is going to tell me that wrestling is fake.

Wedgehead Killer

Aug 9, 2013, 10:25:08 AM8/9/13
On Thursday, August 8, 2013 7:02:57 PM UTC-4, american...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Pretty soon someone is going to tell me that wrestling is fake.

I had surgery last year, twice, stuck on the couch for months. So... reality tv shows, basically it's the exact same shit done on different levels of bullshit. Look, this storage locker fulle of hidden silver coins was left abandoned. WOW, how do I get in on this UNKNOWN treasure finding? Auction Hunters, yeah after 10 shows I've heard enough of YOU BOUGHT IT to last me a lifetime. The sadder thing is that people actually think it's real. WTF. I occasionally watch the shows because of the neat and interesting shit people buy, sell, and collect. About the only treasure I found recently is I got a 1935C Silver Certificate in change last week. And last year I found an Indian Head Cent in a roll of pennies.

If anyone wants vindication on how fake reality tv is, a woman from Connecticut wsas being cast on the REAL Housewives of NY, a friend of mine knew her.

CNKay

Aug 9, 2013, 5:17:36 PM8/9/13
On one episode of PS they had an old chicago or something like that. The guy charged 2-3K for the restore and stated they could get 5K for it. Now that you know is BS. Most of the time though prices don't seem that far off. Hell I think they picked up a decent Kiss under 2500. I like just to see some of oddities and history of items.

I wish that the Storage Wars shows would have some insight as to why a person that was paying for a locker for 5years would stop. Jail, dead, F the wife, ETC..

How about that Barter Kings show. Start with a thigh master end up with a monster truck. I want to do that start with a Star Action and end up with a MM.

Anyone want to help me start?

Ron Lyons

Aug 9, 2013, 10:17:51 PM8/9/13
There's probably some guys on a collectible knife forum saying "DID YOU SEE WHAT THEY SAID THAT CASE 1599 WAS WORTH????"

nwojedi

Aug 10, 2013, 6:26:34 PM8/10/13

maybe this thread should be copied and posted to pinside. Might help
some of them over there. :)

--
nwojedi

* C a p t a i n N e o *
Pinball 'Playfield restoration' (http://www.playfieldrestoration.com)
service :D
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

PDAisAok

Sep 8, 2014, 5:06:50 PM9/8/14
This is old news by now, but I have been collecting pins for about 10 years. I had never purchased an EM but have always wanted to have a few in my collection. A friend told me she saw a couple pins this guy was trying to sell so I went by to check them out. One was a Williams Casanova and the other, a Bally Odds & Evens. Neither were working and neither were in particularly great shape. While I don't have the greatest knowledge of all the EMs out there, I do generally have a good idea of their value and know of a few that are on the high end. The guy wanted $300 for the Casanova (the playfield is absolutely destroyed, almost all paint is flaking completely off) and he originally wanted $1,200 for Odds & Evens. Both had been marked down to $150 and $600 because he was looking for a quick sale. I asked him why he had such a high price on the Odds & Evens and he said "well I've heard this one is super rare and saw one sell for $5,000!". I told him I wasn't aware of the pin but I was almost certain it was worth no where near that much. After some negotiating though I ended up buying both of them for $450 total. After hearing about this Pawn Stars episode I can now see where he got that ridiculous number. So yes, these shows definitely affect what people think these items are worth. But on the plus side I now have a couple more pins that I can spend some time restoring back to their old beauty.

cody chunn

Sep 8, 2014, 8:00:06 PM9/8/14
Wasn't Tim also on another show making an aquarium out of a pin. Quoted a
crazy labor price because of all the rewiring that was going to have to be
done, then didn't do any of it. Of course, no mention of that in the show.
More money must equal more interest.

-cody

P.S. 4 year old thread? Who're you, Dr. Frankenstein?

"PDAisAok" wrote in message
Message has been deleted

PDAisAok

Sep 8, 2014, 9:11:35 PM9/8/14
I searched for Odds & Evens and $5,000 when I picked up the pin and found this thread. I definitely knew it wasn't worth that much but had no clue as to its value. I think I even paid too much for the machines. Either way they should be a good introduction to working on EMs since I've only collected/repaired/restored SS machines.

Wedgehead Killer

Sep 8, 2014, 9:48:18 PM9/8/14
Can you look inside the Odds cabinet & confirm the on fuse block next to the transformer, the furthest fuse on the right should be 8 amps. Decal is worn and i'm going by the schematic

PDAisAok

Sep 8, 2014, 10:09:04 PM9/8/14
http://i.imgur.com/NpEBpKn.jpg

It indeed looks to be 8 amps

Wedgehead Killer

Sep 8, 2014, 10:09:33 PM9/8/14
Also anyone know how to convert this game to add a ball?

Wedgehead Killer

Sep 8, 2014, 10:21:23 PM9/8/14
Thnks 8A it is. I have a Delta Queen maybe i can see how that setup is converted for AAB

PDAisAok

Sep 8, 2014, 11:47:11 PM9/8/14
Do you have the Odds & Evens schematic or the one for Monte Carlo? I couldn't find Odds & Evens anywhere

Wedgehead Killer

Sep 9, 2014, 10:58:08 AM9/9/14
Pinball resource hd the schematic for 20$. But when ordering try and hit 100$ total 'cause he knocks off
10% and it helps eat the S&H

AVP Pinball Division

Sep 9, 2014, 11:26:22 AM9/9/14
On Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:06:39 AM UTC-6, c...@provide.net wrote:
> four and a half year old post resurrected...

I just love the zombie posts thanks to Google.

--
Pistol Pete
AVP Pinball Division

wdw...@embarqmail.com

Jan 31, 2015, 6:55:33 PM1/31/15
Micheal Scott is a total dweeb anyway and a rip off artist. Cant really fix stuff and is a dumb jerk to most of the pinheads in the hobby. Pawn Stars producers never used him again because he was rude to the crew and it was his idea to inflate the value of his work... or lack of it.

wdw...@embarqmail.com

Jan 31, 2015, 7:01:12 PM1/31/15
Tim had told several of us at a rescent event in Banning about this guy and to avoid him if possible. He was nothing but trouble.

c...@provide.net

Feb 1, 2015, 9:04:29 AM2/1/15
funny you should mention that story with Tim (PHoF) and Micheal Scott.
this thread is a few years old, but back when i first started the
thread, shortly after, i got a box in the mail from Micheal Scott
in Las Vegas. It was a box of tampons! With a really nasty letter
inside too. Basically he was pissed that i started this thread.

To be honest, we died laughing at it. I mean who goes through that
trouble?? Yea sure we'd all talk about doing something like that
to a guy... but to actually go to a drug store, buy a box of 'poons,
then put them in a box, then get the guy's address, hand write a
nasty gram and put in box, then go to the post office and mail it all...
damn like that's work and money. who has time for that kind of stuff???

And yea the history channel basically fired him as their "pinball guy"
and instead took on Nick from las vegas as their pinball man for
the show.

speaking of which, tim and nick got a bunch of drywall screws in
their driveway, mixed with used kitty litter. nick did some
investigation, actually seeing it done and following the vehicle...
word is, it was Micheal Scott. but i don't have 100% confirmation
of that, but all arrows are pointing that way. Nick has more
details on it.

Again we might talk about doing stuff like that, laugh about it,
but who the hell would actually do it? i mean really?? you have
to be deranged to dedicate the time/energy to any of these things
(regardless of who actually is doing the bad deeds.)

adam.b...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2015, 6:50:30 AM2/8/15
Everyone just needs to simmer down.

I know Michael, Tim, and Nick and I consider each one of them a friend. Each one of them has gone out of their way to help me out in different ways and they each have supported me and encouraged me in this hobby of pinball. All three of these guys are good people and I have great respect for them. I envy their talent and knowledge, all three of them (like Clay and others here on RGP) are old school pinball guys with old school talent that is quite rare these days.

It is true that each of these men has an opinion about the other and sometimes that opinion is not so favorable. It really bums me out too that they do not get a long as well as they should. At various times and in various ways each one of them has given me their opinion on the others. Being friends with each of them puts me in the rare position to hear the same stories from both sides. I choose not to perpetuate these grudges, complaints, or gossip and I hold our conversations in confidence as I realize that sharing these things among them (or anyone else) would serve no good purpose. Besides, everyone has a right to vent and complain every now and then, even about their friends. That being said I hope it is clear I am not hear to dish dirt or talk trash about anyone but I do want to clarify a few things and in so doing I hope that folks here will consider the fact that there are two sides to everything.

First, the Michael Scott and Pawn Stars thing. I have spoken with Michael about this in detail on several occasions. The Pawn Star experience damaged his reputation and he knows this and he is not proud of this. The fact that he did not work with Pawn Stars beyond that episode is simply because he chose not to and the producers were angry with him. Why were they angry? Well, you see that Odds and Evens game was his personal pinball machine that he owned from the very beginning. The producers approached him and asked him if he had a pinball machine that he would be willing to restore for the show. He had a project Odds and Evens that he had been wanting to fix up so he said yes and offered that machine. He brought it to the set and they pulled a random guy off the streets who wanted to make a quick buck to pose as the "owner" of the machine. Go re-watch the episode and it becomes painfully obvious that this man has never seen this (or any other pinball) in his life. So the Pawn Star guys then call in their specialist to take a look at the machine. In comes Michael Scott, who is the actual owner of the game. They told Michael what to say and he says it. Then he proceeds to take his own game home to do the restoration. Michael does the restoration and the machine looks beautiful. This was way more than a basic weekend shop-out job, I know this because I have seen the machine with my own eyes and played it with my own hands. This game looks and plays like new, it is absolutely beautiful. I played it in Michael Scott's living room. You see, this is why Pawn Stars broke things off with him. After he restored the machine and they completed the episode (which shows them "buying" the machine from the "owner") they really wanted to buy the actual machine from Michael Scott. He refused to sell it to them because it was his and it was never part of his agreement to sell them the machine. It simply wasn't for sale. They offered him good money for it, above market price and he wouldn't let it go. They were not happy with this and told him he wouldn't be returning to the show, which he was perfectly fine with. Again, the actual machine is in his living room.

One more thing about Michael Scott I want to clear up. Someone said a few days ago that Michael is a "rip-off artist" and "cant really fix stuff". This is so untrue its laughable. I own machines that have been restored by Michael and I have hired him on more than one occasion to do repairs. Michael is meticulous to a fault and I have seen him bring back games from the dead that were beyond hopeless in my opinion. He specializes in electromechanical work and early solid state games and some of the finest examples of these machines that I have owned have been through his workshop. If you don't believe me I invite you to come and play them and see for yourself. When he has finished his work he carefully places his signature inside and the date. He takes great pride in his work and everyone I know who has had him do work has been happy with his service. This is how he makes his living and if he sucked at it, he would be out of business long ago, the fact is there is often a waiting list for his services.

I own games and have bought machines from Tim and Nick as well, both of them also do very fine work. Each one of these guys has their specialty and they are each extremely talented. The fact that Tim was upset that Michael was not helping out at the Pinball Hall of Fame should say something about the quality of work Michael does. Tim doesn't let just anyone work on games there, Tim knows as well as I do that Michael knows how to fix old pinball machines. If Tim or Nick has a problem with Michael it is not that he "cant really fix stuff".

As far as the vandalism that has been taking place on Tim and Nick's property, I have no idea who is behind it. Nick has contacted me and given me a description of the suspect vehicle and it does not match the vehicle that Michael drives aside from being a similar type. You can bet that if Nick or Tim had solid evidence they would go to the police and an arrest would be made or lawsuit would be filed, or both. This has not happened yet and until it does, it's all just speculation. Nick has had several people on the suspect list and several months ago he called me up sure that it was another fellow that I know who Nick was sure had a beef with him or Tim. Mailing tampons and a rude note is one thing (and frankly I agree it is hilarious), and I admit I think Michael is someone who can get fired up about things, but screws in the driveways, buckets of used kitty litter, and other nastiness just seems out of character to me. I doubt that it is true and until it's proven with real evidence and not just suspicion I refuse to put any stock in it.

I realize I am not really a part of the RGP community, and posting on forums and threads like this is not really my thing (although I do read them frequently) so I do not expect my comments here to be given much weight. In fact, the only reason I am posting here is because this long dead post has a lot of mis-information about good people I care about. It is not my intention to keep this sort of drama brewing. Just that everyone should try not to jump to conclusions, refrain from posting speculation and rumor, and remember there are two sides to everything. Let's all try to show some more respect and offer the benefit of the doubt from time to time.

Adam Pinball
Las Vegas, NV

c...@provide.net

Feb 8, 2015, 7:53:40 AM2/8/15
I think your analysis of the situation and what happened is very
accurate. but that said, the whole mailing tampons (regardless of
how funny), really wasn't funny. I can talk directly to this because
it came to MY house. And Scott signed the enclosed letter.

The letter in the mail to me with the tampons was downright mean
and rude and laced with profanity. Not that it bothers me, i really
don't care, but it shows the type of person Micheal Scott is.
I mean who really does this, who would take the time to do that?
and then sign the letter proudly. It wasn't an anonymous package.
He wanted to make it clear it was from him.

Frankly that's the behavior of a psychopath. he may (or may not)
do good pinball work, it really does not matter. When you step
over that line, you're in a whole new ball park.

As for Nick and Tim, they have a legit beef here. Nick sent me
pictures of the guy he witnessed doing this behavior. He has
a picture of the guy because Nick followed him and took the
pic himself. Drywall screws in the driveways is sick behavior.

Also someone dropped off an empty pinball cabinet in Nick's
driveway with "FA**OT" spray painted on the side. It was a pinball
cabinet. So that means it's a pinball guy. do you see where
this is pointing?

And Nick has contacted the Police on this situation and presented
them with his evidence. I do believe legally something is happening
in this regard. But frankly in LV they are trying to keep people
from killing and robbing each other, so this crime probably takes
a backseat to (in their eyes) more important issues.

So though your experiences with Scott are favorable, i would
have to say others don't have the same. That would include ME.
I generally like to stay away from people with psychopathic
behavior. Thank goodness i don't live anywhere near Las Vegas.

As for Nick and Tim, i like these guys. I think they are both
stand up individuals. Are they perfect? Hell no, but who is?
But on the other hand they don't put drywall screws in other's
driveways with used kitty litter, and they don't send me
surprise packages in the mail with mean/rude letters.

adam.b...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2015, 11:37:15 PM2/8/15
I hear what you are saying and I do not doubt your story about the tampons and nasty letter. That is absolutely rude and while it makes for a funny story, you are right it is disturbing. That being said, it happened five years ago, five years is a long time and people can change. I really hope that I am not judged by my biggest mistakes from half a decade ago. I truly feel you are owed an apology, I'm not sure you will get it, but you certainly deserve one and if this ever comes up with Michael I will not hesitate to tell him as much. I do not blame you for your feelings toward Michael, he has only himself to blame for that, if what he did happened to me I would surely feel the same way you do.

I also heard about the spray painted pinball cabinet from Nick right after it happened. Absolutely disgusting and shameful. Nick is a good guy and has every right to be offended and incensed over that incident. I was outraged to hear that this happened to him as well. Nick has accused by name no less than three different individuals who he believes are responsible for this and the other nastiness that has occurred. Michael is one of these three and I know and am friendly with the other two, this is why Nick called me, to see if I could help him figure out which one it was; so far no physical evidence has been presented to me that shows it is any of these three individuals. Believe me when I say that I hold no loyalties that would extend protection to anyone guilty of such activities.

One thing I have learned is that Nick and Tim both have a lot of enemies in the pinball world. Tim is forced into this from time to time as he regularly 86s people from the Hall of Fame for abusing machines and other crimes and a basic internet search will find a host of people who he has offended by him in one way or another. Nick, like anyone engaged in professional work with the general public, has his share of unsatisfied customers as well.

Yes, it could be Michael, and maybe Nick and Tim are convinced it is him right now, but literally a few months back they were equally convinced it was someone else and before that guy, it was someone else...

I just wish we could all think twice before we try to bury someone on the internet. If there is a photo out there that is clear evidence, then fine, post it up and those who know Michael will confirm that it is him and put an end to this once and for all. If one day it does pan out that he did this, you can rest assured it will end our friendship.

Adam

c...@provide.net

Feb 9, 2015, 6:20:03 AM2/9/15
I appreciate your thoughts and well worded response. i agree with
what you're saying. it's just really weird stuff. i don't know
who did the nick/tim/drywall screws/cabinet thing. to me it doesn't
matter too much. i just know what i got in the mail. that i *can*
speak to without any doubt! that's a 100% for sure. to me if you
went to that trouble, is putting drywall screws and used kitty
litter in someone's driveway that much different or difficult?
nope not at all. So it is easy to point the finger given that history.
also if you follow the money/path/whatever, all roads pretty much
lead to M.Scott. Correct though it doesn't convict him, but smells
and walks like a duck, well, sometimes it IS a duck.

it's unfortunate that nick and tim have to endure this stuff.
tim just keeps his head down and works. i know tim's lifestyle
and he's 110% committed to the PHoF task. Nick i don't know
as well, about as far as his business, how he runs it. All i
know is he's very kind to me. Frankly that's about all i need
to know, he's a friend to me and even i know that friends
aren't always the easiest thing to find/have/keep.

Nick did send me some pretty revealing pictures but i will
leave it to nick to post them, if he feels that is necessary.