Iron Man rule set so far.

ka9scf

Mar 30, 2010, 11:33:02 PM3/30/10
1.) Hit the purple shots (6 times to bring the toy out) left orbit/
right orbit/center shot. Once the toy is up, bash it 6 more times to
start Monger MB. Don't know what the jackpots are.

2.) Hit the lit "greed" targets called Dr to ready War Machine MB.
Hit War Machine (the Ram kicker shot from BBH) to start MB.

3.) Hit the Whiplash target complex 5 times to start whiplash 2 ball
MB.

I'm unsure about stacking because I never stacked anything.

The Music is great. If had a heavy industrial soundtrack playing
loud.

Where are the modes? I never saw one. Note, the outlanes and the
lanes at the top by the pop bumpers are together. You build this to
get your bonus multiplier.

If anyone has anything else feel free to add to this.

Ax@EFnet IRC #pinball.

d rock

Mar 31, 2010, 7:19:32 AM3/31/10

So there are no single ball modes at all? That is kind of surprsiing
considering the depth of ftuff that Big Buck has in it. Hopefully
they will make some vast improvements on the code for iron man
derek

ka9scf

Mar 31, 2010, 10:05:48 AM3/31/10
On Mar 30, 10:33 pm, ka9scf <pagr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1.) Hit the purple shots (6 times to bring the toy out) left orbit/
> right orbit/center shot.  Once the toy is up, bash it 6 more times to
> start Monger MB.  Don't know what the jackpots are.

I recall the toy popping up and hitting it to spell MONGER but never
heard jackpot for completing the sequence. Then again, the 4 ball MB
quickly drained SDTM.

> 2.) Hit the lit "greed" targets called Dr to ready War Machine MB.
> Hit War Machine (the Ram kicker shot from BBH) to start MB.

These are the drone targets. You collect all 4 to start War Machine
MB. These targets are like the STEP targets in FH only narrower like
BBB to start the tube dancer.

> 3.) Hit the Whiplash target complex 5 times to start whiplash 2 ball
> MB.
>
> I'm unsure about stacking because I never stacked anything.
>

> The Music is great.  It had a heavy industrial soundtrack playing

> loud.
>
> Where are the modes?  I never saw one.  Note, the outlanes and the
> lanes at the top by the pop bumpers are together. You build this to
> get your bonus multiplier.

You'll hear "Mark 1 completed" when you complete the 6 in/out lanes
the 1st time, Mark 2 for the second, etc. This bonus really adds up.
I've had the bonus at the end of the ball account for 30% of the
score. You don't want to tilt on a good ball.

Pat

Ax@EFnet IRC #pinball.

GrayMatter

Mar 31, 2010, 10:08:17 AM3/31/10

There were not any modes that I noticed when I played. It was all
about working toward multiball or alternating the ramps with building
values, kinda like T2.

The stackability of multiballs was unpredictable, which certainly has
to do with the incomplete code. I know I stacked two together at one
point (forget which 2). I also know that at one point I started
whiplash and almost immediately after started Iron Monger (the big
toy) which canceled whiplash completely. Bummer.

One of the things I definitely didn't like was the drainability of the
outlanes combined with the randomness of the magnets. I'm cool with
outlanes that punish you for missed shots, but this game's intent is
to throw the ball around haphazardly. Made shots purposely generate
random ball rebounds. At times the vacuum drains (especially the STTNG-
like trapezoidal left drain) were really frustrating after magnets
continually threw the ball away.

The game was really having problems with the main toy raising and
lowering at inappropriate times. Sometimes it worked fine, other times
it would go up and down repeatedly during the game and other times
this was intermittent. Definitely was not working appropriately. That
made it difficult to determine what the jackpots for Iron Monger
multiball were supposed to be. Whiplash was hit each of the different
shots once, each lit for a jackpot. I forget what was lit during war
machine.

The ramps were REALLY slow and the apex is SO high that I couldn't
count how many times the ball went so far as to make it behind the
backboard only to come back down the entrance of the ramp. Cycling the
ramps was fun, but would have been a lot better if they were faster.
The pace of them really didn't fit with the theme. The game is
supposed to be about speed and chaos, but the molasses ramps were in
complete contrast to this. If they were quicker it would have added to
the feeling of flow much better.

Anyway, potentially decent game that I won't judge yet based on the
incomplete rules, but not the killer I was hoping it would be based on
the hype.

d rock

Mar 31, 2010, 10:34:20 AM3/31/10

That stinks so all the mark 1 through 5 are is the bonus? What does
the iron man targets do? So no mode for the drones either?
derek

pinballzmylife

Mar 31, 2010, 10:41:37 AM3/31/10
> derek- Hide quoted text -

With all of this code talk, how hard could it possibly be to release a
finished game, to sell more product?? I don't see the reasoning behind
releasing games with incomplete code.. Beyond me.. It was probably the
1 thing that started the ball rolling down hill for stern.. I'm sure
if they were releasing games with complete coding, they would probably
be selling 2 or 3 times more.. I just don't understand the reasoning
behind it. I know for a fact, that I am not buying newer sterns for
this very reason.. Oh well, just my 2 cents. I would love to buy a
new Ironman, but no way in hell now, with all this incomplete talk..
NO WAY.

mnpinball

Mar 31, 2010, 10:47:05 AM3/31/10

Game isn't due officially out for another 2 weeks, why jump to
conclusions ;)

pinhead72

Mar 31, 2010, 10:51:39 AM3/31/10
This is a test game, totally moot to discuss code.

pinballzmylife

Mar 31, 2010, 10:54:25 AM3/31/10
> conclusions ;)- Hide quoted text -
>
> -ow quoted text -

I'm really just speaking in general of the games that have been
released by stern lately.. All you hear about is lack of code... Lack
of code... Blah blah blah, how hard can it be to release finished
product. I would rather have a finished product, then to have to keep
updating a game that was never finished in the first place.

BoJo

Mar 31, 2010, 11:02:45 AM3/31/10
On Mar 31, 10:08 am, GrayMatter <graymatte...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The ramps were REALLY slow and the apex is SO high that I couldn't
> count how many times the ball went so far as to make it behind the
> backboard only to come back down the entrance of the ramp. Cycling the
> ramps was fun, but would have been a lot better if they were faster.
> The pace of them really didn't fit with the theme. The game is
> supposed to be about speed and chaos, but the molasses ramps were in
> complete contrast to this. If they were quicker it would have added to
> the feeling of flow much better.

While I have not had a chance to play IM yet, all of the videos seem
to confirm this and show a the ball not making it up the ramp
completely and then coming back down. I would think that would be
annoying after a while. If it's like that on a brand new machine it
will likely only get worse as the flipper components wear down. Would
it be possible to use Terry's stronger flipper coils that were made
for LOTR? Or would that cause more harm then good on other shots,
like hitting Monger, since now the stronger flippers would increase
the chances of breaking the Monger parts.

Jay

Mar 31, 2010, 11:05:44 AM3/31/10

Exactly! Wait until the game is released and you play it. Key word
you. Then write about your conclusions.
I remember how everyone bad mouthed SM at first. Now it's one of the
best STERN games.
Yes, Lyman did code updates to make it great.
How do you know that will not happen with past STERN titles? It might.
it might not.
It was 2 years for a final code update for SM.

There is only one pinball company left in the world guys. We need to
support STERN.

ka9scf

Mar 31, 2010, 11:16:15 AM3/31/10

The reply was set pretty low too. I was able to drive it up some.
This was the same deal with BBH when it was in test.

I'm going to continue to play around with it to see what the code
changes are. I wanted to track the progress of it because there is no
rule sheet on the game yet.

Pat.

Ax@EFnet IRC #pinball

d rock

Mar 31, 2010, 12:17:25 PM3/31/10
> Ax@EFnet IRC #pinball- Hide quoted text -

Pat sounds awesome bro
derek
ps I know I hear they did right by Big Buck and it is a full killer
complete game
pss I know lyman really likes teh comic book games so I am sure he
will not let the pin community down

gpsdrew

Mar 31, 2010, 12:26:42 PM3/31/10
Man, where would the pinball world be without Lyman Sheats.

Just in case you read RGP, THANK YOU!

Drew

metallik

Mar 31, 2010, 12:56:41 PM3/31/10
> The ramps were REALLY slow and the apex is SO high that I couldn't
> count how many times the ball went so far as to make it behind the
> backboard only to come back down the entrance of the ramp. Cycling the
> ramps was fun, but would have been a lot better if they were faster.
> The pace of them really didn't fit with the theme. The game is
> supposed to be about speed and chaos, but the molasses ramps were in
> complete contrast to this. If they were quicker it would have added to
> the feeling of flow much better.

Don't let Koz hear you say this ;) I can see a developing secondary
market for new ramps here... James? :D

Mickey Johnson

Mar 31, 2010, 4:10:21 PM3/31/10
> Exactly! Wait until the game is released and you play it. Key word
> you. Then write about your conclusions.
> I remember how everyone bad mouthed SM at first. Now it's one of the
> best STERN games.
> Yes, Lyman did code updates to make it great.
> How do you know that will not happen with past STERN titles? It might.
> it might not.
> It was 2 years for a final code update for SM.
>
> There is only one pinball company left in the world guys. We need to
> support STERN.

you just said it in your post '2 years' after two years, a game is no
longer new and by that time improvments really don't mean anything (except
for the used market)

because of stern's slow updates, I have to consider that whatever the game
ships with is the final update. If it took 2 years to finish spiderman, how
much can ironman improve in 2 weeks?

In this day of simplified pinball machine design, there is no excuse at all
for incomplete code. NONE. There are cell phone/flash games with as much
depth as a pinball machine. Programmers for them also work on tight time
frames and limited hardware. There just is no good reason (except cost
savings) that stern is selling games with incomplete code. It seems at this
point, it must not effect his sales, so its a waste of money to have a game
code finished. Think about it, all the diagnostics/coin up/basic os of the
game is done and has been done for years. All that has to be done is add in
some specific modes. Its not like its a groundbreaking xbox360 game with
massive multiplayer options. All I can guess is that Gary gives lyman one
week to work and then must send him home. How else can these games be so
incomplete.

I realize I am just one home buyer and not a distributer, but stern lost me
on batman (I wanted that one and was ready to buy since I toured the plant
when that one was made), and I want Ironman because of the theme, but I have
my doubts already.

Hope software is complete in two weeks!

mickey

chuck

Mar 31, 2010, 4:39:10 PM3/31/10
On Mar 31, 4:10 pm, "Mickey Johnson" <micks...@derbyworks.net> wrote:

> because of stern's slow updates, I have to consider that whatever the game
> ships with is the final update.  If it took 2 years to finish spiderman, how
> much can ironman improve in 2 weeks?

You make way too many, probably incorrect assumptions here:

1) The final SM code didn't take 2 years to write. Lyman worked on
this in his spare time, at home, when he had time. If you go to a show
and see him ask how long it took him.
2) The code version version that the OP is commenting on may be older
than you think.
3) Lyman and Lonnie work on code and I know that Lyman puts in long
hours and I would guess Lonnie does too. Two people can write a lot of
code in a couple of weeks. I would also guess they have more than two
weeks to get out release code.

 All I can guess is that Gary gives lyman one
> week to work and then must send him home.  How else can these games be so
> incomplete.

"Incomplete" code is Gary's fault and no one else. Coders HATE
releasing incomplete code. When Nucore was running we spent another
year completing code, but we had that luxury since no one was forcing
deadlines. One week wouldn't get you much of anything. These guys
spend a long time creating release code, much more than a week. Of
course the definition of incomplete is purely subjective. Lets use WoF
as an example, out of everyone complaining about "unfinished" code no
one progressed far enough to see that it was unfinished. I bought SM
before the last update and thought it was a hell of a game then. Of
course I was glad everyone hated the unfinished code because it
allowed me to buy an awesome game cheap.

> I realize I am just one home buyer and not a distributer, but stern lost me
> on batman

Play the machine before you buy it. If you think it's fun pick it up.
If not don't. You can also wait to see if stern releases future code
updates and buy a huo model cheap and apply the update. Just don't buy
a pin sight-unseen or you will most likely be disappointed.

Message has been deleted

brokenvette

Mar 31, 2010, 4:59:14 PM3/31/10

Of all the games I have seen this one BEGS for wire ramps that are
painted gold and red. It just begs for them. Why they chose those
plastic ramps Ill never know. JMO but my O is never H

GrayMatter

Mar 31, 2010, 5:58:52 PM3/31/10
On Mar 31, 11:56 am, metallik <larry.sc...@dlptech.com> wrote:

Someone, maybe him, commented on how smooth the ramps are. They do
have that feeling when they're made and it was fun to watch the ball
glide it's way back to the flippers. It's just that I could grab a
beer waiting for it to get back. Maybe that was compensation for the
drainy outlanes to increase game time.

I played IM on the second day it was at Game Works and the flippers
felt borderline underpowered for the apex of those ramps, so I would
guess they weren't losing power already. I thought more powerful
flippers, but that would be too strong for the other center-playfield
stuff. That game is already about losing control of the ball via
targets, magnets and bash toys. Adding more flipper power to the dead
end shots would just amplify that.

I'm not dissing the game based on the incomplete code, I knew that
going in. I know the updates will help the game out, they'd have to.
I'm just not sure any code would save this game for me (unless Lyman's
code can fix the ramps somehow - HA). I want to like this game so I'm
staying objective, just not optimistic.

Rare Hero

Mar 31, 2010, 6:43:45 PM3/31/10
On Mar 31, 1:59 pm, brokenvette <zr11...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Why they chose those
> plastic ramps Ill never know.

Cost. Metal is expensive ....the apron is now plastic. The metal
brackets under the pf are gone.

As for the concerns about flipper power....I had no problem hitting
these ramps on my Austin Powers, so they shouldn't be a problem
here....however, ops/owners might have to set Coil Pulse to HARD for
it to feel right. Spidey on normal settings feels a bit weak,
IMO ...but w/ Coil Pulse on Hard, the flippers are super strong and
snappy.

Greg

spike

Mar 31, 2010, 7:34:53 PM3/31/10
Do you mean the 'lift out' skids or the metal hangers the pf locks
into the apron with?

If so, what replaces them :-O
Spike
Nottingham, England

metallik

Mar 31, 2010, 7:37:53 PM3/31/10
On Mar 31, 7:34 pm, spike <spikephotogra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you mean the 'lift out' skids or the metal hangers the pf locks
> into the apron with?

Lift out skids, replaced with two threaded rods on each side of the
PF. You can pull it out to only one service position, no more skids
to slide it back and forth on :(

Mickey Johnson

Mar 31, 2010, 10:22:57 PM3/31/10
chuck wrote:
> On Mar 31, 4:10 pm, "Mickey Johnson" <micks...@derbyworks.net> wrote:
>
>> because of stern's slow updates, I have to consider that whatever
>> the game ships with is the final update. If it took 2 years to
>> finish spiderman, how much can ironman improve in 2 weeks?
>
> You make way too many, probably incorrect assumptions here:
>
> 1) The final SM code didn't take 2 years to write. Lyman worked on
> this in his spare time, at home, when he had time. If you go to a show
> and see him ask how long it took him.

Yes it did take 2 years to write, because of the situation, it took two
years
to be released to the public. It doesn't matter if it takes 2 years of
coding, or
if it takes 2 years to get to two weeks of coding. The end result is what
matters,
not how you get there. I am not saying that Lyman is a bad guy or that
is code is bad, just that 2 years to have the code is too long for a new
pinball
machine. While I may buy a spiderman at some point, I would never spend the
money for a new one, because they really aren't new at this point.
Entertainment
moves fast since its not about what is long lasting, but what is currently
fun and
entertaining.

> 2) The code version version that the OP is commenting on may be older
> than you think.

Very possible, but with sterns past record, chances are its probably
current.
Software for Stern (even going back to sega and data east) is definitly
there
weak point.

> 3) Lyman and Lonnie work on code and I know that Lyman puts in long
> hours and I would guess Lonnie does too. Two people can write a lot of
> code in a couple of weeks. I would also guess they have more than two
> weeks to get out release code.

Well from Koz's mouth, batman is two weeks of code and while its not
complete, it sure looks like its the release code for that game.

> All I can guess is that Gary gives lyman one
>> week to work and then must send him home. How else can these games
>> be so incomplete.
>
> "Incomplete" code is Gary's fault and no one else. Coders HATE
> releasing incomplete code. When Nucore was running we spent another
> year completing code, but we had that luxury since no one was forcing
> deadlines. One week wouldn't get you much of anything. These guys
> spend a long time creating release code, much more than a week. Of
> course the definition of incomplete is purely subjective. Lets use WoF
> as an example, out of everyone complaining about "unfinished" code no
> one progressed far enough to see that it was unfinished. I bought SM
> before the last update and thought it was a hell of a game then. Of
> course I was glad everyone hated the unfinished code because it
> allowed me to buy an awesome game cheap.

To the customer (me), it doesn't matter who's fault it is. You don't have
point fingers to say that there is a problem (and believe me there is a big
problem in the software of sterns last couple of games). Its just sad to
see
because, like I said in my previous post, they really aren't creating
something
new and cutting edge at this point. Take the standard pinball os, modify
it
from the last game to include rules for the new game and then add code for
any new toys (this time around a couple of magnets and a standup toy).
These aren't huge
hurtles in this time. Its not like they are coding some mongo huge program
with
a billion inputs/outputs or trying to design code to sync up with a ton of
clients
over the net.

>> I realize I am just one home buyer and not a distributer, but stern
>> lost me on batman
>
> Play the machine before you buy it. If you think it's fun pick it up.
> If not don't. You can also wait to see if stern releases future code
> updates and buy a huo model cheap and apply the update. Just don't buy
> a pin sight-unseen or you will most likely be disappointed.

Oh yeah I plan on playing it first (most likely at the chicago gameworks).

Pinball Life

Apr 1, 2010, 8:37:25 AM4/1/10

> There is only one pinball company left in the world guys. We need to
> support STERN.

Saving Stern and saving pinball are 2 different things, IMHO.
Terry.

Old School Al

Apr 1, 2010, 10:55:55 AM4/1/10
They are different, no doubt. Between shows, our collections and
suppliers like yourself we will keep pinball alive, but it would be a
shame to see no more new games. No one else is going to step up to
mass produce pinball machines. All we will have left is "500 guys
trading junk". ;-)

On Apr 1, 7:37 am, Pinball Life

Jay

Apr 1, 2010, 11:12:55 AM4/1/10

Could be very true!

Brian Munn

Apr 1, 2010, 11:25:55 AM4/1/10
> > Terry.- Hide quoted text -

I personally don't like Stern's direction. Gary has come out and said
we are going to be disappointed with the direction he is taking
Stern. Which I interpret as he does not think I am the target
customer. So I in turn feel no obligation to help save Stern. If he
wants me as a customer he will design machines that I like and with
quality. Stern is repositioning itself between Zizzle and the past
high quality of Older Sterns/Williams/Bally. All you have to do is
look at the playfields to notice. LED's on the pop bumpers... which
would be ok if it looked the same as old pop bumpers... but they don't
they look cheap. Plastic versus metal Aprons...

My Automotive training has always said hide the cost cutting from the
5 senses... A strategy stern is not following... and will likely be
punished for it.... and not the collectors fault because Gary does not
believe we are the target customer....

Brian
Pinball Detroit

Brian Munn

Apr 1, 2010, 11:28:07 AM4/1/10
> Pinball Detroit- Hide quoted text -

Maybe he is targeting places like Gameworks that just closed down 7
locations.....

Brian
Detroit Pinball

Bryan Kelly

Apr 1, 2010, 12:40:16 PM4/1/10
That's like asking for respect from someone you treat like crap.

I'll be more than happy to support Stern as long as they give me games
worth supporting.

Bryan (CARGPB 14)
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

On Mar 31, 10:05 am, Jay <pinba...@telus.net> wrote:

> There is only one pinball company left in the world guys. We need to

> support STERN.- Hide quoted text -

Brian Munn

Apr 1, 2010, 12:54:17 PM4/1/10
On Apr 1, 12:40 pm, Bryan Kelly <bskel...@aol.com> wrote:
> That's like asking for respect from someone you treat like crap.

Not sure if you are directing this at me or not but I think the 5 NIB
Sterns that I have purchased is deserving of respect.

But I agree with your statement that I will buy Sterns that I like.
But when I look at buying a Stern in the future I am also considering
buying old William/Bally machines as well and it seems that the newer
Sterns are not holding up to the comparisons to say a POTC (which I
don't have) or many of the William /Bally titles (STTNG, WW, MM, BK,
Fathom, Shadow, Banzai Run and Doctor Who which are also on my
consideration list).

Brian
Pinball Detroit

Bryan Kelly

Apr 1, 2010, 1:11:50 PM4/1/10
No Brian, I was directing it at Jay. Not trying to cause any trouble,
but I hate when people say we must support Stern simply because
they're the only one left.

I have 3 NIB Sterns myself and I love them. But I love them because
they're great games, not because they were made by the last company to
be making pins.

Brian Munn

Apr 1, 2010, 1:18:24 PM4/1/10
On Apr 1, 1:11 pm, Bryan Kelly <bskel...@aol.com> wrote:
> No Brian, I was directing it at Jay.  Not trying to cause any trouble,
> but I hate when people say we must support Stern simply because
> they're the only one left.
>
> I have 3 NIB Sterns myself and I love them.  But I love them because
> they're great games, not because they were made by the last company to
> be making pins.
>
> Bryan (CARGPB 14)http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

> On Apr 1, 11:54 am, Brian Munn <bdm...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 1, 12:40 pm, Bryan Kelly <bskel...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > > That's like asking for respect from someone you treat like crap.

> > Not sure if you are directing this at me or not but I think the 5 NIB
> > Sterns that I have purchased is deserving of respect.
>
> > But I agree with your statement that I will buy Sterns that I like.
> > But when I look at buying a Stern in the future I am also considering
> > buying old William/Bally machines as well and it seems that the newer
> > Sterns are not holding up to the comparisons to say a POTC (which I
> > don't have) or many of the William /Bally titles (STTNG, WW, MM, BK,
> > Fathom, Shadow, Banzai Run and Doctor Who which are also on my
> > consideration list).
>
> > Brian
> > Pinball Detroit- Hide quoted text -

I agree 100%!

Brian
Detroit Pinball

Brian Munn

Apr 1, 2010, 1:19:32 PM4/1/10
On Apr 1, 1:11 pm, Bryan Kelly <bskel...@aol.com> wrote:
> > I have 3 NIB Sterns myself and I love them.  > - Show quoted text -

Out of curiosity which NIB Sterns do you have?

Brian
Detroit Pinball

mnpinball

Apr 1, 2010, 1:48:17 PM4/1/10

Bryan has POTC, BSM, and BDK. I think I see an Iron Man in his
future ;)

Bryan Kelly

Apr 1, 2010, 1:59:52 PM4/1/10
It's tempting, Butthead, it's tempting.

Jason's right. My problem is, once I got BSM with the chrome kit, I
had to chrome out my BDK and do the brass kit on my POTC. The 3 of
them together look fantastic.

Would IM look better with chrome or brass? ;-)

Brian Munn

Apr 1, 2010, 2:05:42 PM4/1/10
On Apr 1, 1:59 pm, Bryan Kelly <bskel...@aol.com> wrote:
> It's tempting, Butthead, it's tempting.
>
> Jason's right.  My problem is, once I got BSM with the chrome kit, I
> had to chrome out my BDK and do the brass kit on my POTC.  The 3 of
> them together look fantastic.
>
> Would IM look better with chrome or brass?  ;-)
>
> Bryan (CARGPB 14)http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

> On Apr 1, 12:48 pm, mnpinball <mnpinb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Out of curiosity which NIB Sterns do you have?
>
> > > Brian
> > > Detroit Pinball
>
> > Bryan has POTC, BSM, and BDK.  I think I see an Iron Man in his
> > future ;)- Hide quoted text -

I have a BDK as well. Do you have a pics of it chromed out. It would
be nice to see?

Brian
Detroit Pinball

mnpinball

Apr 1, 2010, 2:10:40 PM4/1/10
On Apr 1, 12:59 pm, Bryan Kelly <bskel...@aol.com> wrote:
> It's tempting, Butthead, it's tempting.
>
> Jason's right.  My problem is, once I got BSM with the chrome kit, I
> had to chrome out my BDK and do the brass kit on my POTC.  The 3 of
> them together look fantastic.
>
> Would IM look better with chrome or brass?  ;-)
>
> Bryan (CARGPB 14)http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

> On Apr 1, 12:48 pm, mnpinball <mnpinb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Out of curiosity which NIB Sterns do you have?
>
> > > Brian
> > > Detroit Pinball
>
> > Bryan has POTC, BSM, and BDK.  I think I see an Iron Man in his
> > future ;)

Brass for sure ! Iron Man is gold and red after all ;)

Bryan Kelly

Apr 1, 2010, 2:14:26 PM4/1/10
Sorry, Brian, no I don't. My gameroom pics are a bit old.

Trust me, though, because of the dark cabinet, the chrome looks
fantastic.

On Apr 1, 1:05 pm, Brian Munn <bdm...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I have a BDK as well.  Do you have a pics of it chromed out. It would
> be nice to see?
>
> Brian

> Detroit Pinball- Hide quoted text -

ka9scf

Apr 2, 2010, 1:13:41 AM4/2/10
On Mar 30, 10:33 pm, ka9scf <pagr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1.) Hit the purple shots (6 times to bring the toy out) left orbit/
> right orbit/center shot.  Once the toy is up, bash it 6 more times to
> start Monger MB.  Don't know what the jackpots are.

I noticed that the Monger comes up (toy) and you hit him 6 times and
he bobs up and down blocking the straight up the middle super
jackpot? I was never able to hit it so I don't know.

> 2.) Hit the lit "greed" targets called Dr to ready War Machine MB.
> Hit War Machine (the Ram kicker shot from BBH) to start MB.

The Greed targets are "drones". You need to collect 8 to start the
war machine MB.

> 3.) Hit the Whiplash target complex 5 times to start whiplash 2 ball
> MB.

If you rock the machine a little when the ball is locked on that
magnet, you may score yourself another lock ;-)

> I'm unsure about stacking because I never stacked anything.

You can stack war machine MB with Whiplash MB. Monger MB seems linear
and you can't build war machine of whiplash locks during monger.

> The Music is great.  If had a heavy industrial soundtrack playing
> loud.

I'm still liking the music.

> Where are the modes?  I never saw one.  Note, the outlanes and the
> lanes at the top by the pop bumpers are together. You build this to
> get your bonus multiplier.

The lanes collect your shield. When you hit the war machine shot when
it's not ready and the shield is flashing it will spot you a bonus
based on what you are doing, very similar to how Palintar works in
LOTR. So in Monger MB, you can use a lit shield shot to "add-a-ball"
and so on..

There are no modes. Is this the thing that Gary was mentioning that
why collectors would hate his future releases? The code running was
53. Josh Sharpe rebooting the game once and was nice and spotted me a
game and went 3 player with Josh and Roger.

> If anyone has anything else feel free to add to this.
>
> Ax@EFnet IRC #pinball.

Ax@EFnet IRC #pinball

taylor34

Apr 2, 2010, 1:59:46 AM4/2/10
I'm sort of disappointed with the report of no modes with this game.
I was thinking that this game would be the next 'killer' game for the
next couple of years, but it seems as though that's not the case.
Ironically, now I'm trying to figure out what to actually buy now.
Have a Spiderman, owned LOTR, and played a ton of TSPP. So excluding
those three, I started looking for secondary options, and honestly all
the rest of them have some sort of drawback. Family Guy and Pirates
are love/hate, Batman's not finished, IJ4 everyone hates, 24 is not
finished, CSI has to simple of rules, etc. A little frustrating, some
of the games are so close to being great (like batman). Oh well, not
sure what I'm going to do.

Pascal - FlipperFarm.be

Apr 2, 2010, 3:34:40 AM4/2/10
> now I'm trying to figure out what to actually buy now.
> Have a Spiderman, owned LOTR, and played a ton of TSPP.  So excluding
> those three, I started looking for secondary options

The Sopranos !!!

Message has been deleted

juliohoddy

Apr 2, 2010, 6:49:25 AM4/2/10
I'm a bit miffed about there being no modes. I just sold my totan, tom
and SST to build up a new stern fund. now there's not going to be one
single mode?! I should of just kept my SST as it's probably deeper
than how, if reports are true, iron man is going to turn out. playing
a game to get 1 or 2 variations of multiball is a snorefest imo.

I'd love to help stern and buy one of there NIB, but they ain't
helping themselves. You REALLY have to love a machine before you shell
out 4000+! Plus, new Sterns are even MORE expensive in the UK than
the US.

Reissue RBION and i'll buy one of those Gary. honest.

d rock

Apr 2, 2010, 7:35:00 AM4/2/10

So the game still has no modes in it? What the heck do the iron man
targets do? Or the iron man insert? This is very dissapointing if
there is no modes in the game with the such a killer theme. What is
the start bumper inserts for? So far if they keep this game the way
it is rule wise it sound like a lost in space which is an absolute
horrible game
derek

ka9scf

Apr 2, 2010, 8:18:25 AM4/2/10
> > 2.) Hit the lit "greed" targets called Dr to ready War Machine MB.
> > Hit War Machine (the Ram kicker shot from BBH) to start MB.
>
> The Greed targets are "drones".  You need to collect 8 to start the
> war machine MB.

When you hit a drone target (typically 3 of the 4 are lit) it goes out
and the other 3 are lit. The pop bumpers change this when I watched
Roger play.

> > Where are the modes?  I never saw one.  Note, the outlanes and the
> > lanes at the top by the pop bumpers are together. You build this to
> > get your bonus multiplier.
>
> The lanes collect your shield.  When you hit the war machine shot when
> it's not ready and the shield is flashing it will spot you a bonus
> based on what you are doing, very similar to how Palintar works in
> LOTR.  So in Monger MB, you can use a lit shield shot to "add-a-ball"
> and so on..

I'm still wondering what the "Mark 1 completed" things are in the
game. The side targets that spell Iron Man (but they don't have
letters on them) may actually be the targets that add to the bonus
multiplier. Also since these are all red, does this build towards
anything else? I never completed Mark 5 so I wouldn't know if a MB
starts after that.

Ax@EFnet IRC #pinball

Rare Hero

Apr 2, 2010, 11:40:25 AM4/2/10
There are inserts that say "Start Feature", so I suppose it could
still have modes. Maybe it'll be something like you hit the Drone
targets, the Drone & Start Feature inserts start blinking...shoot
Start Feature and you're in some kind of Drone mode...finish it to
keep the insert lit. Or maybe Start Feature's just for
multiballs...it's up to Lyman and Lonnie!

Greg

ka9scf

Apr 2, 2010, 11:51:47 AM4/2/10

Where are these "start feature" inserts?

Ax@EFnet IRC #pinball

MRG

Apr 2, 2010, 11:59:50 AM4/2/10

Ramp shots

ka9scf

Apr 2, 2010, 12:07:00 PM4/2/10
> Ramp shots

I see 100k, 200k, 300k, 400k, Extra ball and a large red arrow on the
left ramp.
I see 100k, 200k, 300k, 400k, Special and a large red arrow on the
right ramp.

There's nothing where the ball disappears either.

Ax@EFnet IRC #pinball

MRG

Apr 2, 2010, 12:09:32 PM4/2/10

ka9scf

Apr 2, 2010, 12:15:57 PM4/2/10

That's promising. If they put modes in this, it will rock and I would
probably buy one (if I had the money).

The IM at the Chicago Gameworks only has what I mentioned so I guess
they are working on the modes code. Let's hope it happens!

Ax@EFnet IRC #pinball

Old School Al

Apr 2, 2010, 12:21:37 PM4/2/10
Interesting, the inserts on that game are different than the one at
Gameworks. Gameworks inserts were 100k, 200k, 300k and 400k for the
ramps.

ka9scf

Apr 3, 2010, 11:44:46 PM4/3/10
> > I'm unsure about stacking because I never stacked anything.
>
> You can stack war machine MB with Whiplash MB.  Monger MB seems linear
> and you can't build war machine of whiplash locks during monger.

No you can't.

Ax@EFnet IRC #pinball

goatdan

Apr 4, 2010, 12:34:23 AM4/4/10
On Mar 31, 9:22 pm, "Mickey Johnson" <micks...@derbyworks.net> wrote:
> chuck wrote:
> > On Mar 31, 4:10 pm, "Mickey Johnson" <micks...@derbyworks.net> wrote:
>
> >> because of stern's slow updates, I have to consider that whatever
> >> the game ships with is the final update. If it took 2 years to
> >> finish spiderman, how much can ironman improve in 2 weeks?
>
> > You make way too many, probably incorrect assumptions here:
>
> > 1) The final SM code didn't take  2 years to write. Lyman worked on
> > this in his spare time, at home, when he had time. If you go to a show
> > and see him ask how long it took him.
>
> Yes it did take 2 years to write,  because of the situation, it took two
> years
> to be released to the public.  It doesn't matter if it takes 2 years of
> coding, or
> if it takes 2 years to get to two weeks of coding. The end result is what
> matters,
> not how you get there.   I am not saying that Lyman is a bad guy or that
> is code is bad, just that 2 years to have the code is too long for a new
> pinball
> machine.  While I may buy a spiderman at some point, I would never spend the
> money for a new one, because they really aren't new at this point.
> Entertainment
> moves fast since its not about what is long lasting, but what is currently
> fun and
> entertaining.

So... wait. What you're saying is that when Spider-Man was two years
old, the game -- even with new software -- was no longer fun and
entertaining because the entertainment factor was replaced with
something else?

I do think we need to wait for the actual games to start shipping to
see what the software is like. I saw BBH last week at the MGC at
length, and it looked and sounded great the entire way through. For
all the belly-aching about software, the last game that I feel like
had huge holes in the software was Wheel of Fortune, which was in
2007. I can understand people not liking aspects about IJ, Batman,
CSI, 24, and NBA's code, but not liking it because it isn't what you
were hoping for (mostly due to inflated expectations thanks to Stern)
and not liking it because it is truly missing stuff is a different
thing all together. As far as I know, Wheel of Fortune is the only
game that had advertised features not implemented and things on the
playfield not used at all. Those other games, you may not *like* the
software, but that is different from saying it is incomplete.

I think a game is fun no matter when the game came out if I like it.
That's why I own a bunch of games. Let's give them a shot to get out
the final code, I would be really floored if it is as barren in the
final release as it sounds now.

Pinhead

Apr 4, 2010, 12:56:32 AM4/4/10
> final release as it sounds now.- Hide quoted text -

Iron Man sucks!

Madoc Owain

Apr 4, 2010, 11:26:17 AM4/4/10
Dumb question.. what is a "mode"?

M.O.
http://www.madocowain.com

Mickey Johnson

Apr 4, 2010, 7:08:27 PM4/4/10

No, what I am saying is that after two years, regardless of what version
the software is, the game is no longer a 'new product' Its no longer
worthy of paying full retail because there should be a newer product
available (for example: big buck hunter and iron man are new pinball
machines). Things are only new once. Especially on items that are
toys. I never said spiderman wasn't fun because its old. After all, I have
a pretty large arcade collection full of old games that I consider very fun.
I would never pay full retail for any of the games in my collection because
they are not new.

> I think a game is fun no matter when the game came out if I like it.
> That's why I own a bunch of games. Let's give them a shot to get out
> the final code, I would be really floored if it is as barren in the
> final release as it sounds now.

Yeah, but I think I am at a different level of collecting than you are. I
have
all the old games that I want and my collection is complete. I would like
buy a brand new pinball machine if stern can make what I am looking for.
I wouldn't be surprised a bit if the code doesn't evolve. You have to
remember
that the quality and completness of code probably doesn't affect the bottem
line
as far as sales. It just doesn't matter to the general public (or most home
buyers).

ka9scf

Apr 6, 2010, 10:13:14 PM4/6/10

You can. I was able to start Whiplash MB while War Machine MB was
running. They updated code. Now there are voices that say "spell
Ironman for 2x scoring", etc. There are grunts when you bash the
monger in Monger MB. Also it says "you collected all the shields,
Mark 1 completed".

Ax@EFnet IRC #pinball

d rock

Apr 6, 2010, 11:11:17 PM4/6/10