how can you tell if glass is tempered( without a hammer :) )

hook

Sep 18, 2008, 6:37:57 PM9/18/08
i have a piece of glass from a 1948 williams woodrail. no markings on
it. anyway to know if its tempered or not?

thanks

gamefixer

Sep 18, 2008, 6:39:43 PM9/18/08

Thats a good question. Maybe look for beveled edges?

Matt

Orbitpinball.com

Sep 18, 2008, 6:45:50 PM9/18/08
You can try polarized sunglasses. If you look at the piece of glass while
wearing them, you might see various rainbow patterns in the glass, obscuring
your view. This is why polarized lenses are not recommended for driving; the
side windows on cars are tempered

--

Frank Gant
Sales - Orbit Pinball

ORBIT PINBALL continues to provide a better way for you to protect your
valuable pinball plastics and provides custom pinball parts. We want to
help ensure that you enjoy your pinball machines for many years to come.

Home of the original ORBIT Plastics Protectors!
"hook" <mhoo...@verizon.net> wrote in message

c...@provide.net

Sep 18, 2008, 6:46:36 PM9/18/08

I can tell just by looking at it. the experienced
eye can see the "look" of tempered at an angle
on the glass. it has a sort of polorized look. hard
to describe in text, but look at a very sharp angle.
look at some known tempered glass, and you'll
see what i mean.

But since it's a woodrail, i would say the chances
of it being tempered are about 0%. Tempered glass
was not factory standard to the late 1960s.

TheKorn

Sep 18, 2008, 9:18:26 PM9/18/08
"Orbitpinball.com" <sa...@orbitpinball.com> wrote in

> You can try polarized sunglasses. If you look at the piece of glass
> while wearing them, you might see various rainbow patterns in the
> glass, obscuring your view. This is why polarized lenses are not
> recommended for driving; the side windows on cars are tempered

That doesn't work. I have a circular polarizer for my camera, and it'll
let me see the stress lines in clear plastics. But with tempered glass, it
just takes out the reflections from the glass, as intended. (Just tried
it!)

--
Have a home video that's trapped on your camera? Want to share it on the
web or on DVD?

http://www.webwidevideo.com/

John Wart, jr

Sep 18, 2008, 9:26:55 PM9/18/08
If you don't have a hammer or Rick Swanson handy, I suggest a brick or
concrete block.

Creek Pinball

Sep 18, 2008, 9:28:47 PM9/18/08
You can tap the edge on concrete or thow pinballs at it.
"John Wart, jr" <johnw...@johnwartjr.com> wrote in message

David Gersic

Sep 18, 2008, 10:53:05 PM9/18/08
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 01:18:26 GMT, TheKorn <The...@TheKorn.Net> wrote:
> "Orbitpinball.com" <sa...@orbitpinball.com> wrote in
>
>> You can try polarized sunglasses. If you look at the piece of glass
>> while wearing them, you might see various rainbow patterns in the
>> glass, obscuring your view. This is why polarized lenses are not
>> recommended for driving; the side windows on cars are tempered
>
> That doesn't work. I have a circular polarizer for my camera, and it'll
> let me see the stress lines in clear plastics. But with tempered glass, it
> just takes out the reflections from the glass, as intended. (Just tried
> it!)

Try it with a pair of polarized sunglasses. Maybe it doesn't work for you,
but it does for me. Can be quite annoying at times.

--
| David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
| _My_ software never has bugs. It just develops random features... |

Orbitpinball.com

newmantjn

Sep 18, 2008, 11:40:52 PM9/18/08
On Sep 18, 6:37 pm, hook <mhooke...@verizon.net> wrote:

My policy is to replace glass every 55 years, whether it needs it or
not. I guess this piece is 5 years overdue. Seriously, almost all my
pins get new glass. It really makes them look nice. Put this one in
the dumpster, throw a brick at it. - Say to yourself "yep, 60 years
ago they didn't put tempered glass in" then put in the good stuff.

TheKorn

Sep 19, 2008, 12:18:47 AM9/19/08

> ya, works for me too with sunglasses. I don't wear mine in the car
> because of it. I have a non-polarized pair for the car.

My only guess is that maybe sunglasses are linearly polarized instead of
circularly.

David Gersic

Sep 19, 2008, 1:15:47 AM9/19/08
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 04:18:47 GMT, TheKorn <The...@TheKorn.Net> wrote:
> "Orbitpinball.com" <sa...@orbitpinball.com> wrote in
>
>> ya, works for me too with sunglasses. I don't wear mine in the car
>> because of it. I have a non-polarized pair for the car.
>
> My only guess is that maybe sunglasses are linearly polarized instead of
> circularly.

They are. Look at a LCD monitor with them on, and tilt your head until
the picture disappears.

| Chaos, panic, & disorder - my work here is done. |

1_spike_1

Sep 19, 2008, 4:01:09 AM9/19/08
The most conclusive test is to break it. If it breaks in thousands of
tiny squares it's tempered. If it doesn't its not :-) Work's well for
removing unwanted scratches too.

don

Sep 19, 2008, 10:08:21 AM9/19/08

Look at the edges. Any chips or chunks missing? If so, proabaly NOT
tempered. Temepred will not stand having anything more than the
tinies chips w/ out exploding. The edges of a tempered glass will be
ground smooth and beveled. On the non-tempered, maybe only a bit of
the edges taken off.

Don C.

PT

Sep 19, 2008, 11:21:27 AM9/19/08
Actually I think the sunglasses react with the windows on your car
because the car windows are polarized, not because the windows are
tempered.

Someone else commented that chips on the edges of the glass show that
the glass is tempered. This is also not a good method. The glass
often is chipped as it is cut which is before it is tempered. I just
picked up a sheet of tempered glass from the shop the other day. I
didn't pay the extra money to have the glass smoothed and beveled on
the edges, so it has some small chips and rough areas...

There is no great way of telling for sure unless the glass has a
watermark in it. Whenever I order a new sheet I always order it
without the watermark.

If in doubt, by a new sheet!

John

On Sep 18, 6:45 pm, "Orbitpinball.com" <sa...@orbitpinball.com> wrote:
> You can try polarized sunglasses. If you look at the piece of glass while
> wearing them, you might see various rainbow patterns in the glass, obscuring
> your view. This is why polarized lenses are not recommended for driving; the
> side windows on cars are tempered
>
> --
>
> Frank Gant

> Sales - Orbit Pinballhttp://orbitpinball.com

> ORBIT PINBALL continues to provide a better way for you to protect your
> valuable pinball plastics and provides custom pinball parts.  We want to
> help ensure that you enjoy your pinball machines for many years to come.

annelei...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2013, 1:56:04 AM6/15/13
Check for wave distortions by putting a printed straight line. If it turns out to be wavy instead of straight, then it is tempered.

Jeff

Jun 15, 2013, 6:15:22 AM6/15/13

With eyeglasses we use a pair of polarized lenses.One on each side of
the glass or lens,this will show the striation or stress.

--
Jeff
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

FredMaine

Jun 15, 2013, 7:03:01 AM6/15/13
I agree with Don, look closely at the edges. Tempered glass is cut, and then heated for temper. If there are chips or chunks missing, or if it has sharp edges from someone having cut it, it is likely not tempered.

Frank Furhter

Jun 15, 2013, 8:14:31 PM6/15/13
FredMaine wrote:
> I agree with Don, look closely at the edges. Tempered glass is cut, and then heated for temper. If there are chips or chunks missing, or if it has sharp edges from someone having cut it, it is likely not tempered.

Very true, and almost completely true and worth just adhering to it (if
chunks or flakes are missing). The best way to tell if a tempered piece
of shit is tempered is to taste it, rub it on your steak, and of course
flip it over and get the juices flowing before serving.

OK, take a polarized light source like your cell phone, and some
sunglasses. Put on one side the source, and the other your glasses.
Rotate the glasses around a bit, you will see pressure striations or not
(particularly around the edges)... If not, you will see black
eventually and if so you have untreated/tempered glass. Take it out,
toss it away in a dumpster and replace with tempered glass.

--
The Frankster, a playfield prankster
Once upon my crank her ballpark shrank.

cathie....@gmail.com

May 30, 2014, 11:35:48 PM5/30/14
Thank you. Your criteria discern well. The pieces I thought were tempered are now clearly identifiable as tempered. And they have tiny etch marks on the corner also. Two shelves that I didn't think were tempered are not by your criteria. And they have a few little chips.

John Robertson

May 31, 2014, 1:38:11 AM5/31/14
Also, if you look at tempered glass with polarized glasses they look
different than regular glass. Do a search for polarized & tempered...

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com

Ron - NYP

May 31, 2014, 7:15:32 AM5/31/14
Vie seen many tempered PF glasses over the years that has chips on the edges
but didn't break.
Ron

--
Pinball Flyer Database
www.nypinball.com/brochures.php

<cathie....@gmail.com> wrote in message
---

Pins4Fun

May 31, 2014, 9:22:29 AM5/31/14
Hey John, is the JJP's invisiglass superior to the PDI non-glare glass, or is it the other way around? FWIW, there priced the same @ ~ $295 (msrp per sheet) plus shipping. It's probably politically incorrect to say so, but the invisiglass looks slightly better to my naked eyes as than the PDI as I have one of each on two of my games next to each other.

Terry at Pinball Life says on his website that JJP's invisiglass is done by a proprietary (secret) manufacturing process, not by a film applied to the glass after manufacture, but it's not clearly stated that this glass is tempered altho I believe that it is. So, is invisiglass tempered or not, curious minds want to know.

Joey at Pinball Decals says, on the other hand, that PDI is a optically coated tempered glass.

I'd think the tempering process would tarnish the non-glare quality of the glass, but I might be wrong?

Also, I only use regular prescription glass cleaner spray on both of these glass for fear of screwing them up otherwise.

Related links:

http://www.pinballsales.com/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=20

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2513

http://www.pinballdecals.com/NonGlareOpticalGlassPage.html

Pins4Fun

May 31, 2014, 9:30:42 AM5/31/14
p.s.

tempered or not, both PDI and Invisiglass are almost totally invisible to the eye, there both amazing. Just wanted to clarify this.

John Robertson

May 31, 2014, 10:06:19 AM5/31/14
On 05/31/2014 4:15 AM, Ron - NYP wrote:
> Vie seen many tempered PF glasses over the years that has chips on the edges
> but didn't break.
> Ron

I have too, however the chips weaken the tempered glass and so for
safety we now discard playfield glass with edge chips.

John Robertson

May 31, 2014, 10:08:42 AM5/31/14
Can't answer that question completely, however tempering is a safety
procedure to protect customers from the danger of glass shards. I don't
think it would have an effect on the clarity (unless you use polarized
glasses when you play) so expect it has no bearing on inviso/non-glare
aspect of playfield glass.

shafiqurr...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2017, 4:05:42 AM3/19/17
On Friday, September 19, 2008 at 4:37:57 AM UTC+6, hook wrote:
> i have a piece of glass from a 1948 williams woodrail. no markings on
> it. anyway to know if its tempered or not?
>
> thanks

thanks everyone.

yea, tempered glass is different at polarized sun glasses and also edge has different.

also color of tempered glass is also different than clear glass sometimes.

Cli...@aol.com

Mar 19, 2017, 12:31:50 PM3/19/17
By now I am sure they have all forgotten the question.

In a related note: I brought a repro piece of glass that Steve from BGresto did for me to be "shortened".

I brought it to a glass company who could not tell if it was tempered or not.

Morals:
A) even the pros cannot tell plate from tempered.
B) Steve uses tempered glass.
C) It cannot be shortened.

I got it back in a bag.

seymour.shabow

Mar 19, 2017, 2:10:40 PM3/19/17
BG resto says in their description it's on tempered glass unless they
added that AFTER you might have told them this.... could have saved a
lot of $$$ :(

At least they saved the pieces for you.

Cli...@aol.com

Mar 19, 2017, 3:25:27 PM3/19/17
On Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 6:37:57 PM UTC-4, hook wrote:
> i have a piece of glass from a 1948 williams woodrail. no markings on
> it. anyway to know if its tempered or not?
>
> thanks

Steves work is top notch and the fact he uses only tempered glass makes it that much better.