A Winnah-Beck's Bier, Pretzels and Pinball!

1 view

Donellllll

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98

Hi Gang:
Just thought I'd make the point that Beck's bier is absolutely great tasting
and I generally do not get elated over beer. Tried it for the first time the
other night and absolutely loved it. Viva Deutschland bier eber alles!!!!!
Oh! and by the way, the pinball and pretzels are optional,.....well,..... maybe
not the pinball.
Regards,
Don L.
To the web skeptics- I own no stock, have no monetary ties to, or work in or
near, the brewery business!
See B. Lombardi's Pinballs Unlimited site at www.c-zone.net/goffr
"You always remember quality, long after you forget the price."

homebru

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
Just want to say that I think beer and pinball are GREAT together. Any pub
worth its salt has a pinball machine and/or shuffle alley. There are as
many styles and makes of beer as there are pinball machines. You should be
open to trying new ones all the time. Sticking to one American Light Lager
all the time, would be like playing Hotdoggin' only for the rest of your
life!
Chris

VBehan

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98

Hi Guys -- Well, I got a smile reading the posts regarding beer and pinball.
And then the reference to trying new beers. I am right now drinking an Ybor
Brown Ale, and it is delicious.

Ybor City Brewing Co is a micro brewer from Tampa, Florida. I bought a variety
12 pack of their fine product and have enjoyed the two I've tried so far. The
Brown Ale is creamy, smooth and hearty/ strong flavored.

Current favorites include Ice House and Red Dog. Don't care for the lite beers
at all.

-------===== Vic in Central Florida ======-------
http://members.aol.com/vbehan/pinball.html

Donellllll

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98

Hi Again:
As an after thought to my initial post's response, it was my extreme good
fortune in 1957 and 1958 to be stationed in Giessen, Germany. While there, I
not only grew to fully appreciate German beer but also to get hooked on their
very fine white wines and the many Bingo pinballs that permeated Europe at that
time.
Sweden, Denmark and Belgium beers were all thoroughly tested too , as were
their pins and pretzels and everything was found to be perfectly palatable.
Happy beer guzzlin', to all the RGP folk.
Regards,
Don

Ray Johnson

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
VBehan wrote:

> Current favorites include Ice House and Red Dog. Don't care for the lite beers
> at all.

Here, here. If I'm asking for a light, I'm wanting a #44 bulb....

Gotta throw in my two cents for Full Sail Pale Ale from somewhere up in
the Portland, Oregon area. Wow! Good stuff. Next on my list would be
a Samuel Adams Golden Pilsner. And it's always tough to beat those guys
up North with all those great Canadian beers.

I think we're turning this into rec.games.pinball.lager....

Cheers!

--
Ray Johnson
Salt Lake City, Utah

Got pinball?

John Butler

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
Ok, am I the only one who got sick of all the microbrews and just started
brewing his own? The dark honey wheat that I make is well worth the work.

But back to pinball.......

I have replaced the MJE340 and MJE350 in the 100 volt section of my Phantom
of the Opera. Still does not work. Need to replace all the zeners.
Anyone make a kit/upgrade for this so I don't have to go through the whole
order process again? Anyone want to trade the two power trans for the
diodes?

John
John Butler
Mesa, AZ
Collector of Video Arcade Games and Pinballs

Looking for Theatre of Magic Pinball
mailto:johnb...@bigfoot.com

webko wrote in message <360EBE...@arch.usyd.edu.au>...

>> Gotta throw in my two cents for Full Sail Pale Ale from somewhere up in
>> the Portland, Oregon area. Wow! Good stuff.
>

>Interesting... they've just started marketing something called the same
>thing here in .au. Personally, it's too nice a beer to drink at a
>pub (possibly called a bar elsewhere).
>
>Carlton Draught (great tap beer)
>Bock (microbrew)
>Cooper's (Australian's will know...)
>
>So many beers, not enough pinball
>(we have this very sad situation in New South Wales where the pubs
>now believe that poker machines are the way of the future... and
>to make room for these, they kill off the pinballs. I boycott these
>pubs, which means I'm starting to find it hard to find somewhere
>to have a beer after work...)
>
>Cheers
>
>Webko

homebru

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
>That'd be rec.games.pinball.zymurgy ;-)
>
>On a more serious note, what do you do with your beer while playing? I've
>been debating making some very small tables to fit between my pins to put
>the beer on.

Good question. I usually pull up a drafting stool to act as a small
cocktail table, but a small table to fit between pins would be a great
thing!
PS- Microbrews are a step up from American swill, but the really good stuff
comes from Belguim, France, Germany and England. Also, anyone who enjoys
tinkering with pinball machine would probably enjoy homebrewing!
Chris

Wendy Belisle

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
Folks,
I realize that the RPG is full of help full advice and wonderful folks, but
from reading this thread,,,,, ARE YOU PEOPLE NUTS!!!!!! Most all of you
have forgoten what made this country GREAT.(or at least last friday night
was great!!) ...... Namely ......

Coors Original....
\\
my rant is over.....got to play some pinball, wash the truck and scrape the,
errr, "stuff" off the boots....

Bob B,,,,,, some where in Arizona........

webko

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98

David Gersic

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
In <360E9A...@juno.com>, Ray Johnson <fos...@juno.com> writes:
>VBehan wrote:
>>
>> Current favorites include Ice House and Red Dog. Don't care for the lite beers
>> at all.
>
>Here, here. If I'm asking for a light, I'm wanting a #44 bulb....
>
>Gotta throw in my two cents for Full Sail Pale Ale from somewhere up in
>the Portland, Oregon area. Wow! Good stuff.

You've got some good local brews from that brewery up in Park City
(Waasatch?). I enjoyed several while I was out there in the spring and
summer.

>Next on my list would be a Samuel Adams Golden Pilsner.

Sam Adams are good beers, and available all over the place.

If you're going to be in Chicago for Expo, get you hands on something from
the Goose Island brewery. I like their Honkers Ale and Nut Brown.

>I think we're turning this into rec.games.pinball.lager....

That'd be rec.games.pinball.zymurgy ;-)

On a more serious note, what do you do with your beer while playing? I've
been debating making some very small tables to fit between my pins to put
the beer on.

| |
|David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
|Systems Programmer Northern Illinois University |
| |
| Cogito ergo Batman. I think, therefor I *BLAM*! |
| |
|I'm tired of receiving crap in my mailbox, so the E-mail address has been|
|munged to foil the junkmail bots. Humans will figure it out on their own.|

eig...@viz.tamu.edu

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
David Gersic <dgersic_@_niu.edu> wrote:
: On a more serious note, what do you do with your beer while playing? I've

: been debating making some very small tables to fit between my pins to put
: the beer on.

There's a pub in Champaign IL that tackled this problem. Underneath the
pinball machines set about 2 ft back from the front they have a very
long bench that runs the span of the games. the gap between games is
wide enough to reach down and store your beer. I just stuck mine next
to the island window to the kitchen. So i can set the beer right on the
counter by the game =)

--amy

AG

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
True, it's hard to beat a Bavarian pilsner especially my fav - Spaten from
Munich,can't buy it anywhere near OZ ,sigh. However having the number of
beers that we do here I really can't complain much. Despite what Carlton
United Breweries would have the rest of the world believe we have dozens of
beers that completely SH*T all over Fosters. Especially some of the many
other beers that brewery makes. My current fav being Carlton Premium Dry
(drinking one as I write this!) and before that Carlton Cold and Victoria
Bitter(their best on tap to me). There aren't many beers that I can polish
off most of a case of with my brother in law on a Monday night (I say most
of, as 5 were downed by my other half) like Premium Dry. No doubt in my
mind, beer and pinball go together very well, especially in the relaxed
environment of one's own home.

At least a couple of pubs in my area of N.S.W. that I sometimes frequent
still have pins, which is good to see. I know both of the licensees, one
being a business partner, so you can be sure as long as have some influence
there'll be pinball in at least one or two pubs around here!

Got to get off the computer and play some CV, have another beer and some
more pretzels!

Cheers,
Andrew G.

Check out:
http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/~theazz/head.html these Aussies know their
beer!

Keith Bodder

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
While cleaning out my uncles apartment I found a pair of old telephone
tables, they have a very small footprint (about 6" x 6") and they fit in
between the two spaces between my three games.
Makes great beer holders.

P.S. My beer of choice while playing would have to be a ice cold Bass Ale.

Keith

>On a more serious note, what do you do with your beer while playing? I've
>been debating making some very small tables to fit between my pins to put
>the beer on.

David Gersic

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
In <FA7F95E944BECD71.117AB7D7...@library-proxy.airnews.net>, "Wendy Belisle" <wbel...@speedchoice.com> writes:
>Folks,
> I realize that the RPG is full of help full advice and wonderful folks, but
>from reading this thread,,,,, ARE YOU PEOPLE NUTS!!!!!! Most all of you
>have forgoten what made this country GREAT.(or at least last friday night
>was great!!) ...... Namely ......
>
>Coors Original....
>\\
>my rant is over.....got to play some pinball, wash the truck and scrape the,

Coors? Ok, last post on beer topics. You're best bet is to wash the truck
with the Coors, then go have a real beer...

| |
|David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
|Systems Programmer Northern Illinois University |
| |

| Our pledge to you: Absolutely no Barney songs in this newsgroup. |

Matt Magnasco

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
In article <6uohcr$3ip$2...@husk.cso.niu.edu>,
David Gersic <dgersic_@_niu.edu> wrote:

>>Coors Original....
>>\\
>>my rant is over.....got to play some pinball, wash the truck and scrape the,
>
>Coors? Ok, last post on beer topics. You're best bet is to wash the truck
>with the Coors, then go have a real beer...

Mmmmmm.....Guinness....
--
*--> ocsangaM ttaM <--*--> teriyaki.resnet.gatech.edu/matt <--*
CE grad student....sigh....I graduated and what do I do? I come back.

homebru

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98

>Mmmmmm.....Guinness....
>--

In most cases, the head on a Guiness will remain long after a game of
pinball is done!

Reptil3

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98

>There's a pub in Champaign IL that tackled this problem. Underneath the
>pinball machines set about 2 ft back from the front they have a very
>long bench that runs the span of the games. the gap between games is
>wide enough to reach down and store your beer. I just stuck mine next
>to the island window to the kitchen. So i can set the beer right on the
>counter by the game =)
>
>--amy

What pub is this? I live about 30 miles east of there and would like to see
what pins they have.
I`ll have to give a nod to Black dog honey razz. Great beer! A friend over in
Indy got me hooked on it and I started making trips over every month to stock
up on it. I have since found it in Champaign IL.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

"""")) (_"\-< Reptile`s Classic Videogames
// \\ http://www.Geocities.com/TimesSquare/Labyrinth/6694
((-_-_-_))

WilliamsFan

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
to rep...@aol.com
Amy is right, it's the Illini Inn- They always have five pins (usaually new games) .
Their most recent lineup(2 months ago) MM,CV,AFM,SS,ToM. The student center for UIC
has maybe 12-15 games in it as well....one of the better pinball towns.....check out
this:
http://www.trianglenet.net/~vodkastoli/vspinltr.htm

eig...@viz.tamu.edu wrote:

> Reptil3 <rep...@aol.com> wrote:
> : What pub is this? I live about 30 miles east of there and would like to see

> : what pins they have.
> : I`ll have to give a nod to Black dog honey razz. Great beer! A friend over in
> : Indy got me hooked on it and I started making trips over every month to stock
> : up on it. I have since found it in Champaign IL.
>

> well its called the Illini Inn, its at the corner of 4th and daniels.
> One of UIUC's pinball alumni pointed me to it, and it was the best
> pinball pub's I'd seen. usually they have 5 newer pin games.
> (I think) I moved out of Champaign about 2 years ago, but while I was
> there, they always had the newest games in working condition. Primarily
> they had Williams|Bally games. They have a mug club for drinking beer.
>
> --amy

AG

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98

Matt Magnasco wrote in message <6uolm2$1cc$1...@news-int.gatech.edu>...
>In article <6uohcr$3ip$2...@husk.cso.niu.edu>,

>>>Coors Original....
>>>\\
>>>my rant is over.....got to play some pinball, wash the truck and scrape
the,

>>Coors? Ok, last post on beer topics. You're best bet is to wash the truck
>>with the Coors, then go have a real beer...
>
>Mmmmmm.....Guinness....

Well said Matt,

As we Aussies would say a seppo beer like Coors tastes like gin's piss
(you don't wanna know!) compared to ours - would you like some beer with
your rocky mountain water!

Cheers,

A.G.

eig...@viz.tamu.edu

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98

Pbj64

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98

>P.S. My beer of choice while playing would have to be a ice cold Bass Ale.
>
>Keith

Hear, Hear, I agree 100%

Pat

Donellllll