New pinball company with John Popadiuk

mnpinball

Apr 25, 2006, 12:38:12 AM4/25/06
John Popadiuk is designing a few games for release this summer by a
company called Zizzle. A smaller version of a full size pin. Real
solenoid flippers and bumpers, ramps and multilevels. Real wood cabinet
but at a discount price. Around $300. First out is a Pirates of the
Caribbean and Marvel Super Heroes. Trying to tap in the home market
just as Bally did in the mid '80s.
Although it may not be anything us on the group may buy, it is a step
to the direction of introducing and keeping the idea in the young
people to later then buy the real thing when they get older. Either
way you look at it, I am looking forward to seeing these things. I like
anything pinball related.
If anyone else has pics or info to share on this please post. It seems
Pinball News is behind on the info :-(

Jason.
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/mnpinball

cpiel

Apr 25, 2006, 12:42:55 AM4/25/06
Thanks for the info Jason- Is that $300 or $3000?

mnpinball

Apr 25, 2006, 12:49:52 AM4/25/06
$300. Not sure what this is going to get you. Real solenoids, and
wood cabinets with metal legs. Seems not much margin for a proffit. It
measures 17" wide x 32" long x 54" high. LED lighting, real sound and
voice, LCD scoring display.

Jason.
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/mnpinball

frenchy

Apr 25, 2006, 12:52:34 AM4/25/06
$300? Geez I find it hard to believe it would be anything but a simple
toy for that price. How much would one of those home market pinballs
from the 70's cost to make now?

Pinwest

Apr 25, 2006, 12:52:36 AM4/25/06
"Zizzle Arcade Floor Pinball has a stylized look of a real pinball
machine with themes designed around the best licenses in the world. 2
players can compete for high score playing on a wood cabinet that
houses a colorful bold playfield design that includes a variety of real
arcade pinball features. " -

http://www.finanznachrichten.de/nachrichten-2006-02/artikel-5989017.asp

Ironman

Apr 25, 2006, 1:38:15 AM4/25/06
More power to him, but I don't see the market. It is too expensive for
a toy for a kid and probably will be too cheap for a quality Pin for an
adult. Look at the Vacation America Pin that can be had for as little
as $1500 and they still aren't selling.

Probably would better to try to deliver something in the $1000 range
for a more serious attempt to get an adult market. That is a figure
that most people could manage if it was a fair quality and durable.

Virt

Apr 25, 2006, 1:42:05 AM4/25/06

Ironman wrote:
> More power to him, but I don't see the market. It is too expensive for
> a toy for a kid and probably will be too cheap for a quality Pin for an
> adult.

+1

CornCob

Apr 25, 2006, 4:31:09 AM4/25/06
I heard he was consulting for TPF. Now I couldn't get my car's clutch
fixed for $300 and thats with the mechanic spending an 1-2hours labour
- expensive here in the UK. I can't really see what sort of game you'd
get for $300 unless it's one of the many little plastic toys on epay in
the pinball section I often see. That figure must be wrong, maybe 3K?

Ping

TheKorn

Apr 25, 2006, 8:17:11 AM4/25/06
"CornCob" <ping....@ntlworld.com> wrote in news:1145953869.829807.19180
@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> I heard he was consulting for TPF. Now I couldn't get my car's clutch
> fixed for $300 and thats with the mechanic spending an 1-2hours labour
> - expensive here in the UK. I can't really see what sort of game you'd
> get for $300 unless it's one of the many little plastic toys on epay in
> the pinball section I often see. That figure must be wrong, maybe 3K?

I think you guys are approaching this from the wrong angle. Instead of
thinking "how cheaply can I make a full size pin", think more along the
lines of, "how much good stuff can I stuff into a toy"?

In other words, start with one of those crappy kids pinball machines that
retailed for $40. Then throw stuff in it until it's $300, and you'll
probably be right.

Could be the next safecracker, minus the tokens, of course. :)

Nwojedi

Apr 25, 2006, 10:15:04 AM4/25/06
You can buy EM's and early solid state ones all day long for $300.
Doesn't seem effective.

TheKorn

Apr 25, 2006, 11:29:02 AM4/25/06
"Nwojedi" <nwo...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1145974504.665514.43370
@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

> You can buy EM's and early solid state ones all day long for $300.
> Doesn't seem effective.

When you can buy EMs at wal-mart fully working for $300, then that'll be a
legitimate challenge. Until then, here's what a soccer mom sees:

$300 for a pinball machine.

The comparison to Vacation America is a good one, except I think it has
1200 more reasons why it's likely to be bought!

(Hell, my first TV, VCR, CD player, portable CD player, DVD player, etc.
all were roughly in the same neighborhood!)

tobyjoe

Apr 25, 2006, 12:13:45 PM4/25/06
The new TOSHIBA HD-DVD player is going for $499 now...but with very
little true HD source material commercially available to play on it.

kc

tobyjoe

Apr 25, 2006, 12:13:51 PM4/25/06

Nwojedi

Apr 25, 2006, 12:30:03 PM4/25/06

TheKorn wrote:
> "Nwojedi" <nwo...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1145974504.665514.43370
> @v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

> When you can buy EMs at wal-mart fully working for $300, then that'll be a

> legitimate challenge. Until then, here's what a soccer mom sees:

LOL, can you imagine this sight? Walking in walmart, and seeing rows
of old gottliebs and bally's. The sad thing is, most people would
still think it was too high for such an item. Walmart with EM's, if
that ever happened, i'd have to stop boycotting that place.

TheKorn

Apr 25, 2006, 12:50:55 PM4/25/06
"tobyjoe" <kcto...@gmail.com> wrote in news:1145981625.769998.189980
@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> The new TOSHIBA HD-DVD player is going for $499 now...but with very
> little true HD source material commercially available to play on it.

True, but that's the "launch month" price.

Once the PS3 ships, they'll fall like a rock. (Why pay $500 for *just* a
hddvd player, when you could pay $500 for a bd player + game console?)

TheKorn

Apr 25, 2006, 12:51:24 PM4/25/06
"Nwojedi" <nwo...@hotmail.com> wrote in

"Is this heaven?"

'no, it's wal-mart.'

:)

pinballjim

Apr 25, 2006, 1:20:33 PM4/25/06
$1 says this will be as awesome as anything Norris Pinball has
produced.

Oh... wait.

Can't these old designers find something better to do? If their stuff
had been so awesome the first time around, they wouldn't be pushing
crap like this

(and this is said by someone that is a -big- fan of Norris PFs)

tcum...@axxent.ca

Apr 25, 2006, 1:21:58 PM4/25/06
A friend did some excellent googling and found this from earlier in the
year:

http://photos.superherotimes.com/showphoto.php?photo=9128&cat=1121

No idea how close this is to their production game or whatever.

Best of luck to John and Zizzle!

Terry Cumming

Nwojedi

Apr 25, 2006, 1:37:07 PM4/25/06
doesn't look half bad for home edition. Is that a LCD screen between
the speakers? Mini DMD?

metallik

Apr 25, 2006, 1:38:21 PM4/25/06
More pics one level up:

http://photos.superherotimes.com/showgallery.php?cat=1121

This doesn't look too crappy:

http://photos.superherotimes.com/showphoto.php?photo=9127&cat=1121

Actually has a ramp, habitrail, somewhat normal looking flippers. I
doubt the popbumprs actually pop - probably just scoring switches, but
you never know. Looks to be a better deal at $300 than Vacation was
for $1500-$2000.

Superpin Al

Apr 25, 2006, 2:10:50 PM4/25/06
Even looks like there are 3 drop targets on the left side too though
I'd be surprised if they actually 'dropped'. Appears to be a captive
ball also or something that looks like one.

I wonder if the cabinet art will be pixelated? Can't tell from the
pics. :)

Derek, did you pre-order one already?

Al

TheKorn

Apr 25, 2006, 2:22:18 PM4/25/06
"Superpin Al" <al.ku...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Even looks like there are 3 drop targets on the left side too though
> I'd be surprised if they actually 'dropped'. Appears to be a captive
> ball also or something that looks like one.
>
> I wonder if the cabinet art will be pixelated? Can't tell from the
> pics. :)
>
> Derek, did you pre-order one already?

Are you kidding?? It's the BEST GAME EVER!!

mcbla...@verizon.net

Apr 25, 2006, 2:31:55 PM4/25/06
come on guys but it does look cool

ldnayman

Apr 25, 2006, 2:38:14 PM4/25/06
It looks like a piece of crap to me. I mean, sure, ok for a toy, but
what's the point? This is not anything that will keep pinball people
happy, nor is it something that is cheap enough for you to buy your
nephew. This is for non-pinballers only.

Please for the love of God Derek don't do it!

By the way any luck with those GNR tickets? I tried but they sold out
instantly...rumors are Slash is coming back.

Superpin Al

Apr 25, 2006, 3:00:34 PM4/25/06
Derek,

We wouldn't pick on ya if we didn't like ya! I love your enthusiasm
even if it is short lived many times. ;)

Al

mnpinball

Apr 25, 2006, 3:11:04 PM4/25/06
Tool tickets sold out here in Minnesota in under 3 min.

Jason.
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/mnpinball

metallik

Apr 25, 2006, 4:13:24 PM4/25/06
ldnayman wrote:
> It looks like a piece of crap to me. I mean, sure, ok for a toy, but
> what's the point? This is not anything that will keep pinball people
> happy, nor is it something that is cheap enough for you to buy your
> nephew. This is for non-pinballers only.

At $300 it will be cheaper than an xbox360 (with hdd) or PS3. It will
cost the same as a nice ipod. It will cost less than six xbox360
games. It will cost a little more than the current trendy cellphone.
It will cost about the same as several new outfits from the mall.

In other words, it's definitly cheap enough for the nephew. It's
definitly geared towards kids, and if the components are halfway
decent, it will probably sell pretty well.

Paul

Apr 25, 2006, 9:12:54 PM4/25/06
Least we've seen pics of them. More than we've seen from someone we all
love to hate......

Craig Tiano

Apr 25, 2006, 11:25:50 PM4/25/06

Looks like there's a lot of opportunity here for customization.
Imagine adding real pop bumpers and drops to the game from your parts
bins, some artwork on the slings (and possibly a sling assembly if
it's just "dead"), and some extra GI or feature lights. Could be cool.
Or, just rip the cpu and wiring out and "adapt" it to your own
homebrew game...

I'm looking forward to seeing this thing in person. I'd love to see a
comparison between this and crotch-hunter, if that ever sees the light
of day. LOL

Craig

frenchy

Apr 26, 2006, 12:31:56 AM4/26/06
It certainly looks better than what I expected. I guess if you had a
kid and not a lot of money, this would be sort of a cool 'if I can't
have a real pinball then can I have this?" toy. Certainly better than
the Pachinko I got for Christmas when little Marky couldn't have a real
pinball : (
Where it ranks in terms of relating to RGP is - 1. Real pinballs 2.
Vacation America 3. This thing 4. Stupid $50 pieces of total crap
5. The ones in a box of Cracker Jacks.
It's probably not built nearly as sturdy as an old "Captain Fantastic
and the Brown Dirt Cowboys" machine from the 70's but it looks like
more fun and I'd bet the software is more involving. Then again I
can't tell how big it is, maybe it's a lot dinkier than it looks.

frenchy

Apr 26, 2006, 12:35:10 AM4/26/06
<<Looks like there's a lot of opportunity here for customization.
Imagine adding real pop bumpers >>

If the rest of the pf parts could withstand that pounding... which I
highly doubt.

jpop...@yahoo.com

Apr 26, 2006, 9:46:52 AM4/26/06
Hi:

The game is actually a scaled down version (75%) of a 90's game. Full
wood cabinet + pf, new inserts, solenoids for flippers, slings and jets
(3). 2 ramps, crosswire, pf toy and more! The game is loaded. Sweet
graphic package for our first 2 titles. 2 flippers. Steel legs, etc.
Most of the parts are "real" size where we could fit it in. List of
features is long, pounding not a problem.

For $299. a great family product. Plays very smooth with great rules.
Led lighting + light fx. More pix soon.

John

:-)

Craig Tiano

Apr 26, 2006, 11:12:40 PM4/26/06

Great to hear!

When and where will we be able to buy these?

Craig