Getting facts straight:

bra...@cc.usu.edu

Feb 22, 1993, 7:46:42 PM2/22/93

Just to get some facts straight, tell me if I am wrong:

Xtrek by: Chris Guthrie & Ed James
Netrek by: Scott Silvey & Kevin Smith

Just checkin'

Brandon
-Lynx

Tom Holub

Feb 22, 1993, 11:09:24 PM2/22/93
In article <1993Feb22.1...@cc.usu.edu> bra...@cc.usu.edu writes:
)
) Just to get some facts straight, tell me if I am wrong:
)
)
) Xtrek by: Chris Guthrie & Ed James
) Netrek by: Scott Silvey & Kevin Smith

Correct. Also:
XtrekIII by: Nick Lai

is...@iastate.edu

Feb 23, 1993, 3:50:32 PM2/23/93
In article <1mc81k$g...@agate.berkeley.edu>, t...@soda.berkeley.edu (Tom Holub)
writes:

And [*] xtrekIII -- The Color generation: by Michael Graff
(expl...@iastate.edu)

[*] For private use only

;)
What do I mean by `color'? There are a lot of colors involved.

-Rony

Andy McFadden

Feb 23, 1993, 5:07:49 PM2/23/93

Just to give credit where due, don't forget that Netrek and XtrekIII were
both based on the original xtrek. (And xtrek was in turn based on Empire...
have to say that or Felix will e-ogg me...)

Incidentally, Felix, our plains are "fruited", not "purple". Though I suppose
that you could have purple fruit on our plains. Or they could've been singing
about airplanes, though I don't recall any purple airlines. I guess FedEx
has a nice big fat purple stripe running down the side, but other than that,
I think it's probably a fruity sort of Kansas-type plain. (But wait... don't
they grow, like, wheat and stuff?)

--
fad...@uts.amdahl.com (Andy McFadden)
[ Above opinions are mine, Amdahl has nothing to do with them, etc, etc. ]

Felix S. Gallo

Feb 23, 1993, 11:15:42 PM2/23/93
fad...@uts.amdahl.com (Andy McFadden) writes:

>Just to give credit where due, don't forget that Netrek and XtrekIII were
>both based on the original xtrek.

YOU SNIVELING CUR, I OUGHTA

> (And xtrek was in turn based on Empire...
>have to say that or Felix will e-ogg me...)

oh, oops.

>Incidentally, Felix, our plains are "fruited", not "purple". Though I suppose
>that you could have purple fruit on our plains. Or they could've been singing
>about airplanes, though I don't recall any purple airlines. I guess FedEx
>has a nice big fat purple stripe running down the side, but other than that,
>I think it's probably a fruity sort of Kansas-type plain. (But wait... don't
>they grow, like, wheat and stuff?)

You're *such a kidder*. Anyway, *I* know and *you* know that the song goes

America, America
God shed his face on thee
o'er the RAAAAMPARTS we waaatched
were so gallantly streaming
through SPAAACIOUS skies and
MOOOUNTAINTOPS, across the
purple PLAAAAIN
America, America
ice, ice baby
From sea to shining sea

Really quite catchy. You can dance to it.

>--
>fad...@uts.amdahl.com (Andy McFadden)
>[ Above opinions are mine, Amdahl has nothing to do with them, etc, etc. ]

Felix Sebastian Gallo rhod...@wixer.cactus.org

Sean Christopher Simmons

Feb 24, 1993, 4:39:21 PM2/24/93
Excerpts from netnews.rec.games.netrek: 25-Feb-93 Re: Getting facts
straight: Beorn Joh...@elk.Berkel (1591)

> Beorn (aka Snidly)

And while we're getting facts straight, how is your name pronounced?
Is it "i" as in "did" or "i" as in "ice"? We have an ongoing arguement
about it here.

ZZnew guy
The Last Cow

Beorn Johnson

Feb 24, 1993, 9:07:55 PM2/24/93
(Tom Holub) writes:
- >In article <1993Feb22.1...@cc.usu.edu> bra...@cc.usu.edu writes:
- >) Just to get some facts straight, tell me if I am wrong:
- >)
- >) Xtrek by: Chris Guthrie & Ed James
- >) Netrek by: Scott Silvey & Kevin Smith
- >
- >Correct. Also:
- > XtrekIII by: Nick Lai
-
- Just to give credit where due, don't forget that Netrek and XtrekIII were
- both based on the original xtrek. (And xtrek was in turn based on Empire...
- have to say that or Felix will e-ogg me...)

It seems that imprecise word usage always requires clairification. Yes,
Scott and Kevin started with all the xtrek code. If you look at the code,
the files have "copyright.h" for files that were modified versions of
xtrekI ("xtrek") code, and "copyright2.h" for files that were new, original
code. "copyright.h" says "Chris Guthrie" (and Kevin and Scott down below).
But I don't think that Brandon meant that Netrek was done from scratch
by Scott and Kevin, he was just being imprecise (he has all of the source!).
Xtrek, on the other hand, was done from scratch.

I think I've mentioned this before, but xtrek was based on trek83, which
was based on Conquest (or "Empire" maybe, but that name has been soooo
overused -- I know of at least two different "Empire" games, and I didn't
even try). It's detailed in the doc file in the xtrekI distribution on scam.

So, who is this Felix anyway?

Beorn (aka Snidly)

Felix S. Gallo

Feb 25, 1993, 11:02:54 AM2/25/93
In article <1mh9lr$e...@agate.berkeley.edu> be...@berkeley.edu writes:

>I think I've mentioned this before, but xtrek was based on trek83, which
>was based on Conquest (or "Empire" maybe, but that name has been soooo
>overused -- I know of at least two different "Empire" games, and I didn't
>even try). It's detailed in the doc file in the xtrekI distribution on scam.

xtrek was based on the PLATO system's Empire, which was (and is) a graphical
Orion-Klingon-Fed-Rom game involving ships firing photons and phasers
and taking planets with armies in real time with multiple opponents (30)
written in 1976 using the TUTOR language on CDC Cybers.

>So, who is this Felix anyway?

In around 1988, Andrew Shapire and I wrote Empire 7, an update to Empire
on the NovaNET system (which was formerly PLATO). In 1991, I became
the best scoutbomber ever to play the game, and in 1993, I'm vying for the
title of most belligerent and obnoxious poster to rec.games.netrek since
Ged.

> Beorn (aka Snidly)

bra...@cc.usu.edu

Feb 25, 1993, 3:12:27 PM2/25/93
In article <1993Feb25....@wixer.cactus.org>, rhod...@wixer.cactus.org (Felix S. Gallo) writes:
> In around 1988, Andrew Shapire and I wrote Empire 7, an update to Empire
> on the NovaNET system (which was formerly PLATO). In 1991, I became
> the best scoutbomber ever to play the game, and in 1993, I'm vying for the
> title of most belligerent and obnoxious poster to rec.games.netrek since
> Ged.

So, where do we get Empire 7?

-Brandon
-Lynx

Felix S. Gallo

Feb 26, 1993, 12:15:06 AM2/26/93
bra...@cc.usu.edu writes:
>rhod...@wixer.cactus.org (Felix S. Gallo) writes:
>> In around 1988, Andrew Shapire and I wrote Empire 7, an update to Empire
>> on the NovaNET system (which was formerly PLATO). In 1991, I became
>> the best scoutbomber ever to play the game, and in 1993, I'm vying for the
>> title of most belligerent and obnoxious poster to rec.games.netrek since
>> Ged.
>
> So, where do we get Empire 7?

Just get a NovaNET account and voila, you can play Empire 7 to your
heart's content. Where do you get a NovaNET account? Welp, you might
start asking around the University of Illinois Computer-Based Education
Research Lab. Do you need special hardware? Depends -- do you have
a PPT with original 512x512 touch-sensitive plasma panel running at
2500 baud? If not, don't fear -- there's an X11 NovaNET PAD emulator
which even lets you pretend you have a keyboard like the REAL PLATO
terminals do! You even get to emulate the LAB, STOP, HELP, BACK, NEXT,
DATA, TERM, ANS, SQUARE, SUPER, and SUB keys (and their shifted
equivalents). As a matter of fact, with an appropriate account, you
can get true NovaNET delivered to your X11 desktop -- all 10.5 guaranteed
TIPS per user of it! That's right, you get 10 TIPS in foreground,
and you might even be lucky enough to have your program on a less-loaded
executor. Of course, you could go into background, but then you are
guaranteed less than 5 TIPS, which might not be all that hot for interactive
use.

And what else is there to do on the fine NovaNET system? Well, you could
start learning to program in TUTOR! Yes, this language, loosely based on
Fortran, allows you all the power of cobol with all the depth one might
expect from a computer-based educational research language. Judge state,
axes, jarrow, jkeys, doto, parse...but let's not stop there! After you've
paid over $20 for a megabyte of programming space, you're going to want
to do in depth math! On a machine with 60 bit words and ones complement
sign extension! What's less than one, more than negative one, but not
zero? NEGATIVE ZERO! Yes! And what does TUTOR compile into? COMPASS!
Do you get to see the pseudocode in order to optimize your TUTOR? OF COURSE
NOT!

After a hard day of dealing with proprietary character sets and user-definable
character sets used to simulate graphics, you want to relax, right? Why not
delve into the joys of notesfiles? Yes, remember 'notes', by Rob Kolstad?
Ever wonder where he got the idea? PLATO! Yes! All the user interface with
a tenth the speed and MORE NEWBIES! Yes! NovaNET is currently an educational
computer system targetted at AT RISK HIGH SCHOOL POPULATIONS!

> -Lynx

Hey, wanna talk about the OPERATOR GRAVEYARD SHIFT when all you have to do
is stay awake and every thirty minutes go to lift TWENTY-POUND REMOVABLE
DISK PACKS out of ENORMOUS WASHING-MACHINE-LIKE DRIVES? Or how about the
EIGHT HUNDRED DECIBEL WATER-COOLING-HAS-FAILED-DUE-TO-POWER-OUTAGE ALARM
SIREN WHICH MEANS YOU HAVE TO RACE UP FOUR FLIGHTS OF STAIRS TO THE COMPUTER
ROOM BEFORE THE POWER COMES BACK ON AND SENDS FIFTEEN CDC-DESIGNED HEADS
SKIPPING MERRILY ALONG THE SURFACE OF FIFTEEN EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE FIXED
MOUNT DISK DRIVES? MAYBE YOU'D LIKE TO HEAR ALL ABOUT THE PAY SCALE OF
$4.00 AN HOUR?

Hey, come back! I haven't even gotten into the PROPRIETARY LINE EDITOR YET.

rear ensign sunscreamer
(who will note that at one time, we had 4 15-player teams playing empire
simultaneously, and that the Orion team has conquered the galaxy over
2,000 times)

Scott Turner

Feb 26, 1993, 12:26:13 PM2/26/93
rhod...@wixer.cactus.org (Felix S. Gallo) writes:
>Hey, wanna talk about the OPERATOR GRAVEYARD SHIFT when all you have to do
>is stay awake and every thirty minutes go to lift TWENTY-POUND REMOVABLE
>DISK PACKS out of ENORMOUS WASHING-MACHINE-LIKE DRIVES? Or how about the
>EIGHT HUNDRED DECIBEL WATER-COOLING-HAS-FAILED-DUE-TO-POWER-OUTAGE ALARM
>SIREN WHICH MEANS YOU HAVE TO RACE UP FOUR FLIGHTS OF STAIRS TO THE COMPUTER
>ROOM BEFORE THE POWER COMES BACK ON AND SENDS FIFTEEN CDC-DESIGNED HEADS
>SKIPPING MERRILY ALONG THE SURFACE OF FIFTEEN EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE FIXED
>MOUNT DISK DRIVES? MAYBE YOU'D LIKE TO HEAR ALL ABOUT THE PAY SCALE OF
>$4.00 AN HOUR? [...etc...]

You tell that to kids now-a-days and they don't believe you.

-- Scott "I lied to a nun to play Empire" T.

5150

Feb 27, 1993, 7:43:18 PM2/27/93

Well i see Snidly, not Snidely. That's not the real point, though. How do you
pronounce his real name? BEH-orn? Bee-ORN? GUS-taf? Or is it a bastardiz-
ation of Börn?

5150
--
Warlords If you think i represent
are USC or UCS, ask your

Beorn Johnson

Feb 28, 1993, 12:15:22 AM2/28/93
Sean Christopher Simmons <ss...@andrew.cmu.edu>
in <8fX7SdS00...@andrew.cmu.edu>:
- Excerpts from netnews.rec.games.netrek: 25-Feb-93
- Re: Getting facts straight: Beorn Joh...@elk.Berkel (1591)
- > Beorn (aka Snidly)
- And while we're getting facts straight, how is your name pronounced?
- Is it "i" as in "did" or "i" as in "ice"? We have an ongoing argument
- about it here.

Short "I" in "Snidly" -- kind of a cartoon-sounding name (I think). 5150
seems to have the right idea . . .

"5150" (???) <eche...@scf.usc.edu> in <1mp1r6...@phakt.usc.edu>:
- Well i see Snidly, not Snidely. That's not the real point, though. How do
- you
- pronounce his real name? BEH-orn? Bee-ORN? GUS-taf? Or is it a bastardiz-
- ation of Börn?

Long "e" in "Beorn" -- pronounced the same as "Bjorn" in "Bjorn Borg" of
Tennis Fame. It's an old English (er, Old English?) spelling of the same
name, so some will tell you that implies it should be pronounced something
like "BAY-orn" (as in Beowolf) -- I never paid too much attention to that
position.

I've been toying with releasing my client under the name of
"beorn's borg" just to commit a double pun, but it's far too buggy at
this point.

(Those funny dots on top of the "o" I know nothing about.)

Beorn