I agree. Batmud is effectively a PAY MUD

F. Conrad

Jan 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/21/96
I wish it were true that you can play Batmud without paying. I used
to like the mud a couple years ago. It has a lot of skills, guilds, areas,
etc. I think mostly however I figured "well, if there are 100 people logged
on, it must be good." I learned the hard way that is bad logic.

Sure you can play without paying money. But how would you feel if the
people that pay get MORE EXPERIENCE POINTS from the same monster you kill!
Is that fair????? No way! How would you feel if other players are able to
buy IN MUD equipment with real dollars?

Also, its a well known fact on Batmud that the only way to get a
REALLY high level thief is to be a wizard. Furthermore, thieves there can
steal your armor right off your backs (laugh, that makes sense... NOT). So
here is one of their little scams. You send in your money for something like
silver battlearmor. You are happy, you play, you think wow that was worth the
money. Then you go idle for a while, and one of the thief/wizards shows up and
steals it off your body while its equipped. So you buy more (real dollars
of course). Cycle repeats. Pretty insidious.

Anyway, there are so many things there that you can get (or can only
get) by sending them real money, and thus lots of people buy them, that if you
dont buy things with real money, you are screwed in comparison. At least if
they charged you say $100 a year for a character it would be more honest. As
it is now, it costs even more than that if you want to have a decent high
level character that doesn't get totally buggered by others that DO send in
money.

- Frank Conrad

Stig Hemmer

Jan 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/22/96
[Before I start: I'm not an Admin of BatMUD, just a very happy player]

In article <4dv0uh$h...@peach.negia.net> fco...@rayethon.com (F. Conrad) writes:
> I wish it were true that you can play Batmud without paying.

[...]

> Sure you can play without paying money.

I'm glad you get your wishes fulfilled.

> But how would you feel if the people that pay get MORE EXPERIENCE
> POINTS from the same monster you kill! Is that fair????? No way!
> How would you feel if other players are able to buy IN MUD equipment
> with real dollars?

Sounds fair to me. They pay, they get an easier game. Same procedure as
e.g. Descent and Doom.

I've never understood why people insist on comparing themselves to
others. Why should somebody elses exp factor influence _your_
enjoyment of the game?

> Also, its a well known fact on Batmud that the only way to get a
> REALLY high level thief is to be a wizard.

It is also a well-known fact that the easiest way to get banished on
Batmud is to have multiple characters, e.g. a wizard and a thief.

(For those who wonder: It is just as easy/hard to get a high-level
thief as it is to get a high-level anything)

> Furthermore, thieves there can steal your armor right off your backs
> (laugh, that makes sense... NOT).

OK, I agree that Bat thieves are too powerful.

> So here is one of their little scams. You send in your money for
> something like silver battlearmor. You are happy, you play, you
> think wow that was worth the money. Then you go idle for a while,
> and one of the thief/wizards shows up and steals it off your body
> while its equipped. So you buy more (real dollars of course). Cycle
> repeats. Pretty insidious.

Bat has player thieves. You _DO_NOT_ idle with valuable equipment on
Bat. In fact, you don't idle on Bat, period. (If you are lucky, you
are merely killed)

Besides, losing equipment is always a possibility on Bat, since a)
equipment wear out, b) monsters cast the 'destory armour/weapon'
spells, c) the mud crashes every so often AND d) there are thieves.

If you choose to use your money on something that is temporary, like
equipment, that is your choice. But don't complain afterwards.

> Anyway, there are so many things there that you can get (or
> can only get) by sending them real money, and thus lots of people
> buy them, that if you dont buy things with real money, you are
> screwed in comparison.

There are those words again, "in comparison". I think you would be
much happier if you stopped comparing yourself to others all the time.

> At least if they charged you say $100 a year for a character it
> would be more honest. As it is now, it costs even more than that if
> you want to have a decent high level character that doesn't get
> totally buggered by others that DO send in money.

I think you should take a look at the plaque in the church. There are
only about 80 people listed there as donaters. Some of them aren't
players but wizards. My guess is that there are about 30-50 playing
donators.

A quick look at the top ten player list also shows that out of those
ten, _none_ have donated. How is that for "donating RL money helps you
in the mud"?

There are thousands of people playing the mud. Are they _really_ all
screwed by the handful that has payed for the machine they are using?

Stig Hemmer aka st...@pvv.unit.no
pvv - ProgramVareVerkstedet ("The Software Workshop", a student society)
.unit - UNiversitetet I Trondheim
.no - NOrway, a minor kingdom in northern Europe. Yes in 2016!

Sami Kuisma

Jan 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/28/96
In article <ekvn37g...@voldsbuse.pvv.unit.no>, st...@pvv.unit.no (Stig
Hemmer) wrote:

> > But how would you feel if the people that pay get MORE EXPERIENCE
> > POINTS from the same monster you kill! Is that fair????? No way!
> > How would you feel if other players are able to buy IN MUD equipment
> > with real dollars?
>
> Sounds fair to me. They pay, they get an easier game. Same procedure as
> e.g. Descent and Doom.

NO ONE gets better experience rate % if they donate in BatMUD.
Players get stats boosts etc which help playing. But none of the boosts
are too good. Only players that have donated really much get many boons
and thus get well boosted character. Still those players are killable
and they get killed by monsters and are not very powerful. There is only a
handful of players (1-10) that are about level 90-100 which are really good.
But remember they have played the game about 3000 hours or more.

> > Also, its a well known fact on Batmud that the only way to get a
> > REALLY high level thief is to be a wizard.
>
> It is also a well-known fact that the easiest way to get banished on
> Batmud is to have multiple characters, e.g. a wizard and a thief.
>
> (For those who wonder: It is just as easy/hard to get a high-level
> thief as it is to get a high-level anything)

Well, as far as I know there is NO wizards that do play mortal characters.
If I ever catch any player playing another character or a wizard playing
mortal character it means merciless remove of all involved characters.
There is no exceptions.

Then some players say that archwizards do play and are allowed to play mortals.
Well, archwizards are allowed to do anything but what else you do expect.
They have created the whole place, they are responsible of everything that
happens to game, it just might be that archwizards should be able to do
anything.
Not to mention that their non profit organization own the machine and
source code.

> > So here is one of their little scams. You send in your money for
> > something like silver battlearmor. You are happy, you play, you
> > think wow that was worth the money. Then you go idle for a while,
> > and one of the thief/wizards shows up and steals it off your body
> > while its equipped. So you buy more (real dollars of course). Cycle
> > repeats. Pretty insidious.

If you donate and use the award from donation to equipment it is your choice.
There is options to use award that cant be stolen. It is really up to you.
You always can avoid donating too.

> > At least if they charged you say $100 a year for a character it
> > would be more honest. As it is now, it costs even more than that if
> > you want to have a decent high level character that doesn't get
> > totally buggered by others that DO send in money.

You dont have to donate anything whatsoever. You can always spend thousands
of hours playing the game and reach the high levels like most others have done.
Only a small percentage of all 20000 players have ever donated, most just play
it for fun and are happy what they achieve. Then you come and complain how
unfair it is that you donate something and dont get the same what others
have spent 'half' of their life for :)

One of the head admin of BatMUD
Quadra

Gregory Fullsome

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
In article <sku-280196...@prince.icon.fi>,
s...@icon.fi (Sami Kuisma) wrote:

You guys are a bunch of lying thieves. We the former players of bat
know for a FACT Archwizards steal your equipment so you will send in
money to buy it.

The fact is that all elements of the game are relative. If donators
can get exp twice as fast, that means you are getting an effective
penalty for not donating money. Why? Because the mud is balanced based
on the donators. Why is this? Obvious. Because it encourages donating.

THe Archwizards are making a fucking killing. If they were in the US
instead of fucked up Finland, they wouldnt have non profit status.

Stig Hemmer

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
In article <4eltjc$n...@peach.negia.net> gful...@stormbringer.net (Gregory Fullsome) writes:
> The fact is that all elements of the game are relative. If donators
> can get exp twice as fast, that means you are getting an effective
> penalty for not donating money. Why? Because the mud is balanced based
> on the donators. Why is this? Obvious. Because it encourages donating.

I know what I'll do. I'll make mud where you can become a coder in
just a seconds of playing time.

Since all things are relative, this means all other muds become
unplayable. Muhahah.

> THe Archwizards are making a fucking killing. If they were in the US
> instead of fucked up Finland, they wouldnt have non profit status.

Prove it or shut up.

Tom Papas

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
On 22 Jan 1996 09:30:34 +0100, st...@pvv.unit.no (Stig Hemmer) wrote:

> [...]

>much happier if you stopped comparing yourself to others all the time.
>

>> At least if they charged you say $100 a year for a character it
>> would be more honest. As it is now, it costs even more than that if
>> you want to have a decent high level character that doesn't get
>> totally buggered by others that DO send in money.
>

>I think you should take a look at the plaque in the church. There are
>only about 80 people listed there as donaters. Some of them aren't
>players but wizards. My guess is that there are about 30-50 playing
>donators.
>
>A quick look at the top ten player list also shows that out of those
>ten, _none_ have donated. How is that for "donating RL money helps you
>in the mud"?
>
>There are thousands of people playing the mud. Are they _really_ all
>screwed by the handful that has payed for the machine they are using?

Anyone who pays money for a text based bud is either not worried about
money or have no life whatsoever. I would NEVER pay for a mud unless it
had awesome graphics and resonable rates, and even then I might not pay.
Nuff said...

Joern Rennecke

Feb 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/4/96
st...@pvv.unit.no (Stig Hemmer) writes:

>In article <4eltjc$n...@peach.negia.net> gful...@stormbringer.net (Gregory Fullsome) writes:
>> The fact is that all elements of the game are relative. If donators
>> can get exp twice as fast, that means you are getting an effective
>> penalty for not donating money. Why? Because the mud is balanced based
>> on the donators. Why is this? Obvious. Because it encourages donating.
>
>I know what I'll do. I'll make mud where you can become a coder in
>just a seconds of playing time.

This has been done before.

Anyone remember doing stuff while the mud prompts for the password?
Aliases with ;.X.Z; in them?
Naming Lars when Leo asks for a sponsor?

Or just leave Leo alone and goto /obj/trace , Call clone in yourself
to get a copy of /room/port_castle ...

The unmodified 2.4.5 mudlib has some provisions so that if there are no
quests but orc_slayer, it is not hard to wiz so there'll be some ppl to
make new quests :-)

Craig Sivils

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96

>There are thousands of people playing the mud. Are they _really_ all
>screwed by the handful that has payed for the machine they are using?

Dunno, when it got to the point where you had to earn 15 levels in
order to start, and even at that point had to really think hard about
if you wanted to try to fight two bunnies at the same time, and I
realized that with the new system I'd have to be level 50 in order to
get a group and given my non-college student playing times, that would
take over 3 years in real life assuming a fixed target, which they
have been moving upward faster that a rocket. I decided to pack it up
and try someplace else.

I have to wonder how a genuine newbie could survive on batmud.

Craig