MUDs with a Tolkien theme (list and request for more info)

Fredrik Ekman

May 31, 1994, 6:03:12 AM5/31/94
Below follows an extract from my list of Tolkien computer games, that
may be found on anonymous FTP from ftp.math.uni-hamburg.de in directory
/pub/misc/tolkien. I would much like to know if this list is complete.
I think I know of all the MUDs that are dedicated solely to Tolkien,
but there may yet be others that, like Nanny, has a very small Tolkien
area. I would also like to hear about any deceased Tolkien MUDs.
Especially, info about the Middle-Earth MUD listed below would be
welcome.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

/Fredrik Ekman

Aurora
Year: Not yet opened at the time of writing
IP address: 156.35.41.20 3000
Name address: trono.etsiig.uniovi.es 3000
Type: LP MUD
Comment: A MUD in the building stages with a Tolkien area among a
few others. It may be open for playertesting when you read this.

Elendor
Year: Still running
IP address: 134.114.64.6 1892
Name address: ghost.cse.nau.edu 1892
Type: MUSH
Comment: Very large and covering most of what is described in "LotR"
and "The Hobbit" and more. Completely dedicated to Tolkien.

Genesis
Year: Still running
Version: 3.0
IP address: 129.16.226.142 3011 or 129.16.79.12 2000
Name address: hamal2.cs.chalmers.se 3011 or milou.cd.chalmers.se
2000
Type: LP MUD
Comment: Among other domains, three are based on Tolkien; Gondor,
Shire and Rhovanion. A very good MUD IMHO.

Lord of the Rings MUSH
Year: Still running
IP address: 140.142.113.52 4201
Type: MUSH
Comment: This MUSH is completely dedicated to Tolkien. It requires
player registration, but you may log on as guest at any time.

Middle-Earth
Year: Closed 1992
Type: LP MUD
Comment: This game was running in the UK. Nothing is actually known
about it and it may not even have been a Tolkien MUD, even
though the name seems to imply that it was. More info, anyone?

MUME: Multi Users in Middle Earth
Version: III 3.1
Year: Opened 1992, still running
IP address: 128.178.77.5 4242
Name address: lbdsun4.epfl.ch 4242
Type: DikuMUD
Comment: Completely dedicated to Tolkien. It takes a lot of
inspiration from ICE's Middle Earth Roleplaying game. Only a few
areas are open, but those that are open are very detailed. This
MUD is down weekdays from 9 am to 4 pm GMT.

Nanny
Year: Tolkien area opened 1991, still running
IP address: 130.236.254.159 2000
Name address: mud.lysator.liu.se 2000
Type: LP MUD
Comment: Includes two Tolkien areas; one first and one third age.
The third age area also includes the quest Find the Ring and
Seek its Destruction. Unlike the other MUDs in this section,
this one does not have any official policy of having a Tolkien
area. Those two that still exist are efforts by individual
creators and are only a very minor part of the total MUD.

Claus S. Jensen

Jun 1, 1994, 3:33:32 AM6/1/94

Fredrik> Below follows an extract from my list of Tolkien computer
Fredrik> games, that may be found on anonymous FTP from
Fredrik> ftp.math.uni-hamburg.de in directory /pub/misc/tolkien. I
Fredrik> would much like to know if this list is complete. I
Fredrik> think I know of all the MUDs that are dedicated solely to
Fredrik> Tolkien, but there may yet be others that, like Nanny,
Fredrik> has a very small Tolkien area. I would also like to hear
Fredrik> about any deceased Tolkien MUDs. Especially, info about
Fredrik> the Middle-Earth MUD listed below would be welcome.

Fredrik> Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Deeper Trouble MUD has been added to the list with the following
entry:

Deeper Trouble
Version: 3.2@265
Year: Started September 1990.
Author: Claus Skaanning Jensen <cl...@iesd.auc.dk> and
Michael T. Schmidt <go...@iesd.auc.dk>
IP address: 130.225.48.46 4242
Name address: mud.iesd.auc.dk 4242
Type: LP MUD
Comment: Deeper Trouble has the major theme J.R.R. Tolkien,
which means that the world should be consistent with with the
works of Tolkien (more or less). Races and properties of
races are as in Tolkien's books, but the names of places and
persons are not. The game is currently running on a Sun 4-25
with 16MB memory.

I'm not sure where you can get the updated list, but Fredrik
Ekman (d9...@phoebe.pt.hk-r.se) maintains it.

++Claus

--
/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\
\ Claus Skaanning Jensen, cl...@iesd.auc.dk # Kickaha on Deeper Trouble MUD /

Fredrik Ekman

Jun 1, 1994, 12:26:03 PM6/1/94
In article <CLAUS.94J...@frigg.iesd.auc.dk> cl...@iesd.auc.dk (Claus S. Jensen) writes:
Deeper Trouble MUD has been added to the list with the following
entry:

[entry deleted]

Oops... Sorry! That one is in a different section than the others,
so I simply forgot about it...

I'm not sure where you can get the updated list, but Fredrik
Ekman (d9...@phoebe.pt.hk-r.se) maintains it.

It can be found by anonymous FTP from, for instance, ftp.gmd.de
in directory /if-archive/info or from the Tolkien WWW page (the
address has currently fallen out of my mind).